My concerns about the Star Fox Wii U "announcement" at E3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Honestly, Miyamoto's Star Fox presentation raised a lot of red flags for me, particularly being a fan of the series (despite the fact that I have not bought a new Nintendo system in a very long time). Miyamoto wants the game out next year, and at this point it does not even actually exist outside of the proof-of-concept demo he showed on the showroom floor. What he showed was a couple of potentially interesting ideas cobbled together from assets ripped from old games, and then he spoke about what kind of game he would like to see made using the franchise, and admitted that they have not even found a studio to make the game yet. The showroom floor demo was little more than a tech demonstration showing some ideas that might be in the next Star Fox game, and I can say from years of watching Nintendo and other developers that Miyamoto's goal of a 2015 release date for a Star Fox game is not going to happen.

Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous have taken years to develop, and they are not even ready for retail yet (especially Star Citizen, which just recently entered public alpha, and will not be considered "finished" until 2016). No Man's Sky is another space game that has been around for a while and is aiming for some very lofty goals, and it is still in development. The next Star Fox game does not even exist at this point, and given how much work it takes to make a space game, I do not see a 2015 release date happening unless this game is a massive step backwards from the amount of ambition that we saw in Star Fox Assault or even Star Fox 64. Say what you will about some of Assault's problems, but you have to at least admit that it had some very big and cool ideas for what a Star Fox game could be, and I would have loved to see the concept revisited again with modern technology and a less troubled development cycle (it did begein as an FPS only to be overhauled halfway through development due to poor feedback, after all). I would hate to think that the new game might take a step backwards from the amount of production value and ambition that we saw on a game that is almost 10 years old. (Also, Assault's multiplayer mode was one of the Gamecube's all-time bests, and to release an SF game two generations later without an update to it would seem like a crime.)

I don't know-- maybe I am just so used to being disappointed by Nintendo that I have trained myself to expect disappointment from them, but hearing Miyamoto of all people throwing out a 2015 release date for a game that has not even started real development yet is a bit alarming. He is the man who said "a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is almost always bad." I do not want another rushed Star Fox game, and to announce the game before they've even chosen a developer comes across as irresponsible. I am almost not sure if the game should count as an announcement or merely a declaration of intent, to be honest.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

E3 2014 was basically just a bunch of announcements for games coming out next year. Frankly I think it's fine. If it's not ready it will get delayed. It's not like StarFox is what is gonna save the WiiU so I don't see any point to rushing it. All 10 fans of it on the internet will buy it lol.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

now that you mention No Man's Sky, I wonder what Miyamoto thinks about that game being made by a 4 man team yet looking so incredibly interesting. Although he always says that he never plays games to no get inspiration from them or something.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Timstuff

@ActicEdge said:

E3 2014 was basically just a bunch of announcements for games coming out next year. Frankly I think it's fine. If it's not ready it will get delayed. It's not like StarFox is what is gonna save the WiiU so I don't see any point to rushing it. All 10 fans of it on the internet will buy it lol.

True. I am pretty sure Nintendo release dates should always be taken with a hefty grain of salt-- I remember the N64 days! Those were some dark times...

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Oh yeah, TC. The only thing more likely to be delayed at E3 than Star Fox is Zelda, because Zelda ALWAYS gets a lengthy delay.

I'm not sure I even want Miyamoto's team (and supposedly a third party dev team to assist) to try and tear through making this in a year. In my mind it's a 2016 title right along with Zelda.

And when it comes out - as long as they don't ruin it - is when I'll get the WiiU.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Starfox is a 2016 game at the fastest rate Nintendo works..tho more likely an early 2017 release at Nintendo normal pace work. :P

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I thought he said that the game is already in full development and that they are looking for a team to finish it faster? Wouldn't be surprised by a delay tho.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I had concerns about the Star Fox features, mainly I feel that they should aim to have full array of GamePad options for all their games, I hate games that force a TV and GamePad setup. I much prefer games designed to be able to play right off the GamePad and GamePad alone. Sure having cockpit view in the GamePad is cool, but I feel if one wanted they should be able to play in 3rd person from the GamePad as well.

Anyhow, why compare this to Star Citizen or Dangerous Elite, they're not even close to being the same. Star Fox has traditionally been a single player rail shooter experience. Star Citizen and Dangerous Elite are sims that have a lot more to offer in terms of gameplay, their worlds, and are much more online integrated. They're going to take longer to develop because of how ambitious they're attempting to be, plus they're Kickstarter projects without the kinds of resources that major studios have. It should naturally take them longer. There's really no reason to gauge Nintendo's development timeframe around these games.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timstuff

@speak_low said:

He's just now exploring these things and trying to find ways to make that Gamepad actually useful.

I don't know about you, but when I see the blurry visuals and hastily "thrown-together" quality of Hyrule Warriors, the major downgrade of X and this Star Fox announcement, it seems like the developers have given up trying to give these productions that perfect AAA quality and are just rushing to get something out to fill the droughts (you know Nintendo has heard the complaints - so this is their answer).

And also, Zelda U not looking like the tech demo was a surprise. It was never promised that it would have that art style, but the E3 Zelda U went for the cel-shaded/painted look. Was it to speed up production and to lower production costs? Possibly because the Wii U lifespan turned out shorter than they had expected?

You have your beliefs and I'll have mine

It's quite possible. Really though, I'd be quite disappointed if Nintendo started rushing things out the door. The future looks bleak enough for the Wii U as it is, and if they can't even maintain a level of quality up to par with previous entries in their franchises in their attempt to get some stuff out there to play, their IPs will be all the worse off for it. If I was going to buy a Wii U it probably wouldn't be until some combination of Zelda, Star Fox and Metroid are already available on the system. The system will be pretty late in its lifespan by the time I'd consider buying one, and if Nintendo is going to rush stuff out the door it would seem a whole lot less compelling. I really just want the aforementioned three games plus Smash Brothers, and by the time they are all out the Wii U ought to be nice and cheap, but it would be a shame if the games themselves ended up feeling like cheap budget titles after all that waiting.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Are you blind? The difference between Star Fox and Star Citizen is night and day! Star Fox is more of an Arcade Shooter while Star Citizen is for more of a hardcore enthusiast.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts
@speak_low said:

He's just now exploring these things and trying to find ways to make that Gamepad actually useful.

I don't know about you, but when I see the blurry visuals and hastily "thrown-together" quality of Hyrule Warriors, the major downgradeof X and this Star Fox announcement, it seems like the developers have given up trying to give these productions that perfect AAA quality and are just rushing to get something out to fill the droughts (you know Nintendo has heard the complaints - so this is their answer).

And also, Zelda U not looking like the tech demo was a surprise. It was never promised that it would have that art style, but the E3 Zelda U went for the cel-shaded/painted look. Was it to speed up production and to lower production costs? Possibly because the Wii U lifespan turned out shorter than they had expected?

There's no major downgrade. Only the character models look bad and everything else is the same. Watch the Treehouse gameplay (you won't do it anyway). Also, this is a huge open world game.

As always, you're so full of shit. It's quite sad that you're trying to bash the sheep based on hypotheticals on almost every of your posts.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superbuuman

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@speak_low said:

I don't know about you, but when I see the blurry visuals and hastily "thrown-together" quality of Hyrule Warriors, the major downgradeof X and this Star Fox announcement, it seems like the developers have given up trying to give these productions that perfect AAA quality and are just rushing to get something out to fill the droughts (you know Nintendo has heard the complaints - so this is their answer).

There's no major downgrade. Only the character models look bad and everything else is the same. Watch the Treehouse gameplay (you won't do it anyway). Also, this is a huge open world game.

Yup no visual downgrade on X..the last demo trailer they showed there were no close ups of characters...only this demo trailer we see characters close up.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Timstuff

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Are you blind? The difference between Star Fox and Star Citizen is night and day! Star Fox is more of an Arcade Shooter while Star Citizen is for more of a hardcore enthusiast.

If only. I have the alpha for SC, and there is a lot of stuff that needs fixing. Currently it leans way to far arcadey and does not feel very hardcore, though I hear they are currently fixing it.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 93BlackHawk93
@speak_low said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

As always, you're so full of shit. It's quite sad that you're trying to bash the sheep based on hypotheticals on almost every of your posts.

You've had tons of your own opinions and guessing about where the Wii U, PS4 and X1 would be all throughout these last two years. You have your beliefs (and were probably dead wrong on a lot of Wii U predictions) and I have mine.

And so you admit the characters look bad. What does open world have to do with cutscenes?. GTA V is open world and the characters still have lots more detail. X has been in production for a long time and is supposed to be one of the Big N's major AAA exclusives.

I expected X and Bayo 2 to be the leading examples for the Wii U on how it can handle "humanesque" characters well, because the system is lacking in this area compared to PS4/X1 now (and Sheep claiming the Uncharted 4 and trailer was CG were factually wrong).

As for the Treehouse vids, I can't even tell. It's all pixelated and blurry (how can you tell?). Didn't Sheep say a while ago that, given more time, the game will look even better? I see lots of predictions and hypothetical exploration going on from your side too.

The fact that the current dire situation of the Wii U doesn't match with what you asserted would happen means you're full of something too.

Wait wut? I don't even make predictions, neither hate any system. I mostly don't pay attention to sales wars. :S

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Timstuff

@superbuuman said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@speak_low said:

Yup no visual downgrade on X..the last demo trailer they showed there were no close ups of characters...only this demo trailer we see characters close up.

When I saw the closeups of the characters in the new Xenoblade game I was a bit disturbed, to be honest. They looked like something left over from an old PS2 game that everyone forgot about. I know that not every game has to be realistic looking, but there is just plain something off about the art style and those 3D anime faces. It's not a particularly impressive game from a visual standpoint, and the gameplay footage I saw looked kind of antiquated. I understand that there are lots of people who like games like that, but if and when I eventually get a Wii U, I will probably skip that one.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Honestly, its a rails shooter, so it probably won't take all that long to make. I wouldn't worry about it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Well, I guess the comparison itself is disingenuous. Star Fox is not an open world sandbox, it's an on rails arcade shooter.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 93BlackHawk93

@charizard1605: Chaz, I think speak_low is mistaking me with you.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ActicEdge

@Timstuff said:

@ActicEdge said:

True. I am pretty sure Nintendo release dates should always be taken with a hefty grain of salt-- I remember the N64 days! Those were some dark times...

Yeah, even smash 3DS which was suppose to be out this summer is now suddenly October. I wouldn't really worry. This isn't me saying it will be good. More saying it won't suck due to being rushed.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superbuuman

@Timstuff said:

@superbuuman said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@speak_low said:

When I saw the closeups of the characters in the new Xenoblade game I was a bit disturbed, to be honest. They looked like something left over from an old PS2 game that everyone forgot about. I know that not every game has to be realistic looking, but there is just plain something off about the art style and those 3D anime faces. It's not a particularly impressive game from a visual standpoint, and the gameplay footage I saw looked kind of antiquated. I understand that there are lots of people who like games like that, but if and when I eventually get a Wii U, I will probably skip that one.

Im fine with it, cause it look waaay better than Wii -> egg painted face Shulk..you have to remember its hardware limitation..Wii U's really weak cpu...& there's gonna be about 3 characters at once all on screen...combine with monsters. There's gonna be trade-off, ..XC on Wii had slowdown when too many things happens at once. The world looks huge..they claim if you can see it ..you can go there. :) Of course now playing it on Wii U..I'd probably be dreaming what it would be like on PS4..just like I did when I play XC on Wii, what it would be like on PS3. :P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Star Fox WiiU may be a smaller scale game compared to some of the other games released for the WiiU So it may be easier for someone like Miyamoto with some help to complete it in a year or two.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ActicEdge

@Timstuff said:

The new Xenoblade game is pretty impressive visually over all. Its a completely open world game. Its no GTA5 (I mean, it doesn't have 260 million dollar budget obviously nor does it look like it runs like shit) but its definitely a solid looking game. Big open world, detailed enemy models, lots of weather effect. It makes sacrifices in some texture quality, foiliage and human models but that's the trade offs you make on PS3/360/WiiU level hardware.

The game is a spiritual successor to Xenoblade so if you haven't played that I could imagine it would be strange to you. Xenoblade is not entertaining to watch, its boring to watch. Its way more fun to play however and I suspect X will be the same. This is something you have to try to know whether you'll like it or not.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Nintendo's obviously going to re-use assets. It's what they do. It's also a game that takes place in space, I wouldn't think that's as resource intensive as creating a game like Batman or GTA.

But yea, I kind of share TC's sentiments. It's disheartening to see Nintendo contracting out their IPs to other developers. Metroid Other M was a disaster due to it. Why is this not completely done in-house? Eh, Nintendo management. Why do I even have to ask?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo's obviously going to re-use assets. It's what they do. It's also a game that takes place in space, I wouldn't think that's as resource intensive as creating a game like Batman or GTA.

But yea, I kind of share TC's sentiments. It's disheartening to see Nintendo contracting out their IPs to other developers. Metroid Other M was a disaster due to it. Why is this not completely done in-house? Eh, Nintendo management. Why do I even have to ask?

Man, how are you still managing to be negative about Nintendo after last night's excellent showing?

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Timstuff

The thing about a game like Star Fox 64 is that the missions are completely scripted, and that takes a lot of time and resources, which rushing would mesh well with. Star Fox Assault had time constraint problems too, because it was originally going to be a first person shooter with flying bits. Halfway through development, Nintendo and Namco decided that the game was looking bad so they restarted development for the on-foot parts as a third person shooter, and that meant less time could be spent developing the flying missions. The third person shooter bits felt unfinished, and there was just plain not enough flying missions in the game. If they had another few months or another year I am sure they could have made it much better and had a lot more single player content.

I am positive that the most rushed game in the entire series was probably Command, though. The game's design was just plain lazy and bad. It didn't even feel like a real Star Fox game, and the story was cringeworthy. It's to Star Fox games what Other M is to Metroid games. I wish I was making that up, but it really is that bad.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Read the interview by Polygon I believe Miyamoto says this Starfox game has been in the works for 6 years. It was going to be a Wii game in fact. HE is making it. It will be AMAZING. And I'm a Starfox fanboy!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Man, how are you still managing to be negative about Nintendo after last night's excellent showing?

I'' be creating a thread about it soon most likely. I'll explain there.

As great as it is to see Starfox, it's immensely disappointing to have no Metroid. No I don't think it'll be shown tomorrow.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#32 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@speak_low said:
@93BlackHawk93 said:

Wait wut? I don't even make predictions, neither hate any system. I mostly don't pay attention to sales wars. :S

Then why do you post here? Serious question.

Dude, he's not the only SW'er to not hate any system. Or hell, give a damn for sales wars.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 93BlackHawk93
@speak_low said:

@93BlackHawk93

Still waiting for your response about why you post here if you don't like to compare consoles or discuss sales. Maybe you are the one I've been waiting for - to lead me to a philosophical awakening about what we should be doing here in the lions den AKA System Wars.

And to bring this somewhat back on topic, I remember this gif used as an example of what the character models of X would look like. Monolith never said that this would be in the final game, but I'm fairly sure it's not CG either (look at the hair), which is why many felt that this was good enough evidence that the characters would look fairly good. It's not high-polygon like other next-gen games, but it looks decent enough and would've been better than what we saw today in the E3 trailer.

I post on this forum because is the most active, I know more users from here and I get most of the info from here.

Who said I didn't like to compare consoles and be a troll sometimes? I said I didn't hate any system or make bold predictions (I knew Wii U was going to fail sales wise).