Multiple Sources Reporting PS4 Failures

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

http://www.examiner.com/article/early-ps4-adopters-are-reporting-hardware-failure-console-locks

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

Som ting wong. The IGN article supplies the phone number incase any of you frequent Taco Bell or just happen to have a PS4 early.

No one from Sony was available for comment.

#2 Edited by ristactionjakso (5742 posts) -

This is why I plan to wait until the newer slim models to release to buy ps4.

#3 Posted by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

Still getting mine at midnight tomorrow night :D Just curious if the TC thinks X1 will experience any problems after launch?

#4 Posted by Evo_nine (1741 posts) -

that's what you get for a cheap piece of trash

#5 Edited by Gue1 (10214 posts) -

the guy unplugged his PS4 mid-through an updated and now he's complaining that it broke. lol

But seriously, this has been posted many times already and it's always the same 2 taco bell winners from Gaf.

#6 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Still getting mine at midnight tomorrow night :D Just curious if the TC thinks X1 will experience any problems after launch?

I hope so, Heil. xD

#7 Posted by gago-gago (9542 posts) -

Lol@sum ting wong. Anyway man this thing is really happening. I predict a recall or warranty extensions and you have to send it in for repairs or replacement. This is not good for Sony.

#8 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

Some of what I've read are user errors. These same issues could occur with any electronic that updates its OS.

With that said after dealing 4 broken 360s I feel that it can't get much worse.

#9 Posted by MonsieurX (30468 posts) -

"Thanks for beta testing the console"

-Sony

#10 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

Ill wait a year or so until they fix these problems and drop the price and get some better games.

No point in getting one on day one or in the first half year imo

#11 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

@-RPGamer- said:

...after dealing 4 broken 360s I feel that it can't get much worse.

This. Sony isn't too sketchy with hardware stability. After the Red Ring debacle, I doubt this will even come close to the 360 launch disaster.

#12 Posted by jsolidus (165 posts) -

The ign article states 5 ps4 have problems and Sony has been responsive to all problems and has shipped out an replacement for one user . It also states this is common for a launch system to have a few problems with there systems .. I don't think feel as if this is going to be a problem like people want it to be..

#13 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

You? No. You will be locked and loaded. AWWWEE Yeeeeaahhh.

#14 Edited by Consternated (498 posts) -

@AK_the_Twilight said:

@-RPGamer- said:

This. Sony isn't too sketchy with hardware stability. After the Red Ring debacle, I doubt this will even come close to the 360 launch disaster.

Sony can't afford for it to be anywhere near the 360 launch issues.

#15 Edited by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

@Consternated said:

@AK_the_Twilight said:

@-RPGamer- said:

I don't think anyone could, but Sony's financial situation means a mass hardware failure epidemic could damage them big time. Still, I don't expect this to escalate too much. These are the first cases of hardware problems I've heard about concerning the PS4 since the consoles actually made it into gamers' hands earlier this month.

#16 Posted by MrXboxOne (743 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

http://www.examiner.com/article/early-ps4-adopters-are-reporting-hardware-failure-console-locks

Som ting wong. The IGN article supplies the phone number incase any of you frequent Taco Bell or just happen to have a PS4 early.

Your the absolute best at getting cows worked up. I love it, they flock in to do damage control on all your post and topics. its fantastic dude!

#17 Posted by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

@Consternated: Sony is so cash

#18 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -
@Consternated said:

@AK_the_Twilight said:

@-RPGamer- said:

The RROD era was the biggest hardware failure rate for any console ever.

I seriously doubt ANYONE will reach that level again. That was estimated to be at a 30% failure rate out of the box and a 40% failure rate for RMA/Refurbished units until they switched to Falcon and then Jasper models.

A 5% to 8% failure rate is normal, with 10% being considered alarming.

#19 Posted by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:
@Consternated said:

@AK_the_Twilight said:

@-RPGamer- said:

The RROD era was the biggest hardware failure rate for any console ever.

I seriously doubt ANYONE will reach that level again. That was estimated to be at a 30% failure rate out of the box and a 40% failure rate for RMA/Refurbished units until they switched to Falcon and then Jasper models.

A 5% to 8% failure rate is normal, with 10% being considered alarming.

Yes, here is the bigger thing. MS could support the screw up in the for of over $1Billion. To me this is a death blow to Sony if it comes to this.

#20 Edited by SinjinSmythe (789 posts) -

@mrxboxone said:

@SinjinSmythe said:

Your the absolute best at getting cows worked up. I love it, they flock in to do damage control on all your post and topics. its fantastic dude!

haha thanks. I am honored by the complement!

#21 Edited by Chrome- (1663 posts) -

Popcorn.gif

#22 Edited by PraetorianMan (1343 posts) -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715057

This appears to be an issue of user error and/or trolling.

At least for this particular case anyway.

#23 Edited by PraetorianMan (1343 posts) -

Here's a summary according to "steel".

I can't personally verify if this is true.

"Guy is streaming his broken PS4(He broke it by unplugging his ps4 while downloading DCUO which had stopped loading), complains to customer support for 4 hours whilst simultaneously being trolled by the people in his stream(Internet and all that), Ign decides that this is worth posting an article about. Finally through the troubleshooting in that 99% troll comments section he takes his HDD out, tries to turn on his PS4, gets an error, but at least it boots. He then puts the HDD back in and everything work. Guy then proceeds to pat himself on the back for being better than Sony Customer Support.... Then proceeds to once again break the ps4 by trying to download DCUO again. He is currently trying to fix it again, doing things such as turning on the PS4 while the hardrive isn't screwed in, plugging in the hard drive while the system is running, failing at holding the power button the amount of time necessary to boot in safe mode, and much much more, all while ignoring the Twitch admin's good advice. Then he finally listens to good advice, gets it working again, turns it off(to standby) and now it's broken again. He's now in hissy fit mode. Thar's your summary, have fun."