MSoft Testing Free 24hr Demos For The One

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Bring On The Free Goodness

Microsoft is rumored to be testing a new Xbox One feature that may allow some games to be played for free for 24 hours.

The rumors began with a Reddit thread where a Xbox One user, who participates in the company's beta testing for new features, took a screenshot showing the game Max: The Curse of Brotherhood listed in the Games for Gold section with the label "Free Play Day with Gold."

So far, Microsoft has not officially confirmed that this feature is coming to the Xbox One, but a post on their official Xbox Support Twitter account indicated that some type of announcement is forthcoming, saying, "We'll be in touch here shortly."

If its free I will take 3.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Oh wow, 24 hours, thanks Phil, you're so generous.

I hope this stops him lying so brazenly in the future.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Too much free MS stuff going on out there, I haven't bought a new game in ages whilst the backlog just keeps growing. :P

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

AmazonAngry must think this is a game changer.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kuu2

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Super Salty Cow Alert!

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Bu bu MS is copying.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Holy shit, demos for FREE? Whole whopping 24 hours?

Wow.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice

@Sollet said:

Wow.

Dunno about that, sounds to me like full games and as we know, many games these dayzz can be completed in 12 hours or less. To me, this sounds like a net loss for MS and devs if they actually does this. :o

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Too much free MS stuff going on out there, I haven't bought a new game in ages whilst the backlog just keeps growing. :P

This.

Plus the demos will be so so so selective unfortunately. It's a neat idea that will most likely be brought down by bad support.

I mean what dev is gonna give theyre game away for free for 24 hours :l

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

24 hours should be more than enough time to determine wether or not you think a game is worth it.

I'd rather just have the good old fashioned model, but it's still nice in an Industry, which wants us to subscribe to DLC plans on good faith.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kuu2

@SecretPolice: That's what it sounds like to me as well, but some wont finish in that time frame. If they like the game they will be more inclined to buy as well. For a game like Max TCB it makes sense since its long tail has seemed to have expired.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@SecretPolice said:

This.

Plus the demos will be so so so selective unfortunately. It's a neat idea that will most likely be brought down by bad support.

So you reckon its going to be limited to first party games then?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Animal-Mother

@clyde46 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@SecretPolice said:

This.

I would assume so. I'm not in the "war room" with microsoft so I cant say for certain though for older games that they cant get for GwG it'd be a nice way to really get your hooks into a game you had no chance of playing or missed. But IMO we won't see this with newer games.

It's kinda baffling, it's reminding me of EA access right now. The problem is we are waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be announcing stuff like this.

I mean think about it what dev/publisher would let a new game be free for 24 hours? Had they announced this a year or two down the line with a bigger library it'd be awesome.

It goes the same for EA access. While it's PS+ for EA games there's not enough and won't be enough games to fill or bring into the vault for a loooooooooong time.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kuu2

@MlauTheDaft said:

24 hours should be more than enough time to determine wether or not you think a game is worth it.

I'd rather just have the good old fashioned model, but it's still nice in an Industry, which wants us to subscribe to DLC plans on good faith.

The old model apparently put devs in a tough position because they had to choose a part of the game that would give you a taste. This actually gives you a whole game.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Like Steams free weekends?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kuu2

@Animal-Mother said:

@clyde46 said:

I would assume so. I'm not in the "war room" with microsoft so I cant say for certain though for older games that they cant get for GwG it'd be a nice way to really get your hooks into a game you had no chance of playing or missed. But IMO we won't see this with newer games.

It's kinda baffling, it's reminding me of EA access right now. The problem is we are waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be announcing stuff like this.

I mean think about it what dev/publisher would let a new game be free for 24 hours? Had they announced this a year or two down the line with a bigger library it'd be awesome.

It goes the same for EA access. While it's PS+ for EA games there's not enough and won't be enough games to fill or bring into the vault for a loooooooooong time.

New games have no reason to go free right off the bat. Older games that have lost sales steam makes perfect sense. You give someone an idea of the game and maybe they pick it up. Nothing lost to the Dev or publisher for this model if their game has lost sales velocity.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Animal-Mother

@kuu2 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@clyde46 said:

New games have no reason to go free right off the bat. Older games that have lost sales steam makes perfect sense. You give someone an idea of the game and maybe they pick it up. Nothing lost to the Dev or publisher for this model if their game has lost sales velocity.

Bingo.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Steam does 48 hours for free sometimes. They always choose games that I don't give a **** about or games that I already own though. :P

I'm sure it will be the same with xbone. Just 24 hours for you to have fun with that game you can only bare for a few minutes!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

@kuu2 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@clyde46 said:

Yeah, I suppose if done like that it could make good sense.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@speedfog will not be happy about this time limitation.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Super Salty Cow Alert!

What desperation does to a company who 4 months ago was charging people to use free apps like Netflix..hahahaha

This would be great no sense in saying oh this is bad,problem is that it will be imcompatible with so many games,and many companies would not like it either.

24 hour access to a game like can be finish in 10 hours is a disaster.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts
@tormentos said:

@kuu2 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Super Salty Cow Alert!

What desperation does to a company who 4 months ago was charging people to use free apps like Netflix..hahahaha

This would be great no sense in saying oh this is bad,problem is that it will be imcompatible with so many games,and many companies would not like it either.

24 hour access to a game like can be finish in 10 hours is a disaster.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they limit that. A lot of games now a days can be beat in 12 hours easily. I doubt you get 24 total hours with a game, say you play 2 hours 1 day, it doesnt leave you with 22 more. Instead, it will be this game is free for this day from 6pm tuesday until 6 pm wednesday. Still that's a lot of time to beat a game.

Maybe have to put limits on the progression that can be made in each game.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuu2

@Heil68 said:

You already get free games with gold.

Greedy Cows SMH............

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45060 Posts

doesn't PS Plus give you free game trials? kinda of an old feature really

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

What do you want to bet some people will take full advantage of the 24 hours grace period and just stay up and beat the game?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#26 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

AmazonAngry must think this is a game changer.

LOL I couldn't remember who posted that non sense.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GrenadeLauncher

Play-Share has a 60 minute limit but unlimited sessions = terrible

This garbage has a 24 hour limit full stop = oh yes thank you phil let me kiss your feet

Lemmings.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@Bishop1310 said:

@Sollet said:

Wow.

Full games for 24 hours.. Learn how to re-re-re-read you fucking idiot.

@Bishop1310 said:

@Sollet said:

Wow.

Full games for 24 hours.. Learn how to re-re-re-read you fucking idiot.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they limit that. A lot of games now a days can be beat in 12 hours easily. I doubt you get 24 total hours with a game, say you play 2 hours 1 day, it doesnt leave you with 22 more. Instead, it will be this game is free for this day from 6pm tuesday until 6 pm wednesday. Still that's a lot of time to beat a game.

Maybe have to put limits on the progression that can be made in each game.

Making it ultimately a DEMO and not a Full Game.

Wow you damn retard.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@Sollet said:

Wow.

Dunno about that, sounds to me like full games and as we know, many games these dayzz can be completed in 12 hours or less. To me, this sounds like a net loss for MS and devs if they actually does this. :o

Which is why the game mention is max:brotherhood... Make more sense for this target multiplayer like sony does killzone with weekend trial.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

It will probably be for MS published games and it's more than likely a ploy to get gold subscriptions, since they took the paywall away.

But either way I'm down bring on Ryse and Forza

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Animal-Mother said:

@SecretPolice said:

This.

Well they've gotta be downloaded which will take a good chunk of that 24 hours up for most people.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Is that genuine or sarcasm?

Weren't the cows singing Sony's praises for allowing some 60min share feature a few days ago? Yet 24hrs for what sounds like full game access is a bad thing? Jeez, this confirms it, there is absolutely nothing MS can do to please you guys.

Steam already does stuff like this anyway.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@SecretPolice said:

This.

Steam do it. Hell, I managed to complete Saints Row 4 single player when it had a free weekend on Steam.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Bring On The Free Goodness

Microsoft is rumored to be testing a new Xbox One feature that may allow some games to be played for free for 24 hours.

The rumors began with a Reddit thread where a Xbox One user, who participates in the company's beta testing for new features, took a screenshot showing the game Max: The Curse of Brotherhood listed in the Games for Gold section with the label "Free Play Day with Gold."

So far, Microsoft has not officially confirmed that this feature is coming to the Xbox One, but a post on their official Xbox Support Twitter account indicated that some type of announcement is forthcoming, saying, "We'll be in touch here shortly."

If its free I will take 3.

Thread title Should reflect 24 hour FULL GAMES... not demos?

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Is that genuine or sarcasm?

Weren't the cows singing Sony's praises for allowing some 60min share feature a few days ago? Yet 24hrs for what sounds like full game access is a bad thing? Jeez, this confirms it, there is absolutely nothing MS can do to please you guys.

Steam already does stuff like this anyway.

Not the same thing, herm.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

that's gonna be a bad for business, on the publisher side anyways, someone could blow through an entire COD SP campaign easily in just a fraction of that time, and if they've no desire to touch the MP they could walk away pretty much getting all they'd want out of it, their compulsion to maybe pay $60 is suddenly gone

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

It's highly unlikely that the service will feature brand new titles. If it becomes more like Steams free weekend then that is good. Right now you can play Borderlands 2 and Dishonored for free.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

PSN Now has a 1 hour rental for $398.17. Microsoft has a win situation.

Although I remember another discussion about how demos can hurt the sales of some games. There might be a fine line when it comes to which games will go up for free rental.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Animal-Mother

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Although I remember another discussion about how demos can hurt the sales of some games. There might be a fine line when it comes to which games will go up for free rental.

How is this a win when steams been doing free weekends for years? and sonys been giving away "free" ( yes I use it lightly) games for 3 years.....

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

People who are in the preview are already testing out these games and unlocking Achievements, so they are not demos. I hope they do that MGS game, I think an hour would be enough to finish the game. Xbox Live continues to dominate over PSN.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GrenadeLauncher

@gago-gago said:

People who are in the preview are already testing out these games and unlocking Achievements, so they are not demos. I hope they do that MGS game, I think an hour would be enough to finish the game. Xbox Live continues to dominate over PSN.

Max isn't even a sloppy second, it's a sloppy third. Enjoy the crumbs MS deems fit to hand out to you. :)

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

How is this a win when steams been doing free weekends for years? and sonys been giving away "free" ( yes I use it lightly) games for 3 years.....

I don't even recognize PC gaming anymore, except for a very small handful of titles. Steam is needed for PC gaming since the brick and mortar retail is non existent.

Microsoft isn't really competing directly with PC features. They are however competing with Sony's. Hence the EA Access and now this.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@Heil68 said:

You already get free games with gold.

Greedy Cows SMH............

Not free according to your lem brothers..:P