MS: Xbox, and Bing aren't going anywhere

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Microsoft Xbox and Bing Sales

Speaking at Re/code’s conference in California, Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella assured gamers that the company doesn’t plan to sell its Xbox division, despite what many people advise Microsoft to do. Furthermore, he said that the company doesn’t plan to sell its Bing search business either.

“I have no intent to do anything different with Xbox than we are doing today,” Nadella said at the Code Conference. Microsoft has recently acknowledged that its Xbox One with built-in Kinect sensor bundle wasn’t what many potential buyers may have wanted, and announced that a cheaper Kinect-less Xbox One version will start selling in stores soon to better compete against Sony’s PlayStation 4.

The Xbox is a major part of Microsoft, Nadella said, but the company will continue to look for the next big thing.

“We have to build something big,” Nadella said. “If, along the way, we have to buy things, that’s fine. But we have to build something big. [If] we build, let’s say, three big things — three and a half, if you add Xbox into it – it’s time for us to build the next big thing.”

As for Bing, Nadella denied that it plans to sell the search business. “I say it’s very important technology,” Nadella said. “We are very happy to partner with Yahoo, and not selling it.”

The CEO said that Bing accounts for 30% of the search market, including Yahoo search, which would be comparable to Apple’s iPhone share in the smartphone business, if you were to imagine Bing as a player in that business – by itself, Bing accounts for 18% of a market dominated by Google.

Microsoft’s search may become more and more important in the future for other products developed by the company, including the Cortana virtual assistant that’s available on Windows Phone 8.1 devices, which relies on search to deliver certain information to users.

Source

Looks like Xbox will be sticking around for a while.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Well, they ARE right. XBox and Bing really aren't going anywhere.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Microsoft has recently acknowledged that its Xbox One with built-in Kinect sensor bundle wasn’t what many potential buyers may have wanted, and announced that a cheaper Kinect-less Xbox One version will start selling in stores soon to better compete against Sony’s PlayStation 4.

Even MS knows Kinect(lol) is the joke of the industry and nobody wants it.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

Excellent he answered things the way he did. Put rumors to rest and get back to games and the focus on the console being pushed hard. Bring on E3!!!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shewgenja

@shawn30 said:

Excellent he answered things the way he did. Put rumors to rest and get back to games and the focus on the console being pushed hard. Bring on E3!!!

Your XBox is only half a big thing. How does that make you feel?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Microsoft has recently acknowledged that its Xbox One with built-in Kinect sensor bundle wasn’t what many potential buyers may have wanted, and announced that a cheaper Kinect-less Xbox One version will start selling in stores soon to better compete against Sony’s PlayStation 4.

I'm sure there are some who like kinect.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@shawn30 said:

Lol, looking at MS's gaming line-up, constant updates, clear indications Kinect will be supported and updated makes me feel confident in my purchase. I'm no more emotional about his comment than you are about Sony's financial shape. A big ball of "Meh" :)

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shewgenja

@shawn30 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@shawn30 said:

Lol, looking at MS's gaming line-up, constant updates, clear indications Kinect will be supported and updated makes me feel confident in my purchase. I'm no more emotional about his comment than you are about Sony's financial shape. A big ball of "Meh" :)

:) It's all good. I imagine they have a good E3 lined out. Regardless of the Company Wars and even the System Wars, gamers like me and you are going to be the big winners this gen. No more industrial grade ADD due to a Wii mucking the waters. No more bundled Kinect to muddy the waters.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Well, they ARE right. XBox and Bing really aren't going anywhere.

LOL I was going to say something like that.

Seriously though, its good to hear. 18% of the search market? Funny how human beings are. They see that, know Google dominates and say get rid of it. Never mind the revenue 18% of that market actually generates. This very forum says monopolies are bad, but get rid of the only viable alternative in that market? And the Xbox is great for me. Many hate and that's their prerogative. But I play on multiple platforms and have had fun playing on that one.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@ladyblue said:

@Heil68 said:

I'm sure there are some who like kinect.

I don't mind it. I refuse to have the NSA built in though!

No Sale

All I use is Bing. Make 5 bucks a month for amazon cards!!

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

What's Bing?

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

LOL, the Xbone is a failure...we'll see what the shareholders have to say about it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Suppaman100: is selling is it not? How is considered a failure?

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suppaman100

@clyde46 said:

PS4 is dominating with an aprox 50% sales lead.

MS had to dump their vision aka kinect because they were failing so hard.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

They also said that Kinect was necessary and they would not drop it.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@clyde46 said:

The xbox brand has cost MS 4 billion it has yet to make one cent. If it was any other company the x1 would never have made it to market. Bing has also has cost MS almost 1 billion per quarter and has only 18 percent of the search engine market.

These two brands are bleeding billions and the share holders want them gone. Ms is throwing money at these markets and hoping that they can buy a place to take over. The scary thing is if Sony had made a mistake MS would have taken over the console market and we would be renting not owning games.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Suppaman100

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@clyde46 said:

The xbox brand has cost MS 4 billion it has yet to make one cent. If it was any other company the x1 would never have made it to market. Bing has also has cost MS almost 1 billion per quarter and has only 18 percent of the search engine market.

These two brands are bleeding billions and the share holders want them gone. Ms is throwing money at these markets and hoping that they can buy a place to take over. The scary thing is if Sony had made a mistake MS would have taken over the console market and we would be renting not owning games.

It's a good thing for gamers that MS is losing the console race.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@clyde46 said:

It's a good thing for gamers that MS is losing the console race.

For now MS is one of richest companies in America. It can take risk that Sony can't. If the Playstation brand goes down most likely Sony will go with it. After that all that is left is Nintendo and they are not a real threat because their brand is weak.

People are really dumb you would think after what Ms tried to pull that gamers would not support them but xbots are still buying the bullshit. All it would take is the x180 to sell at 350 IMO and the sales gap in America and Europe the largest could shift to MS.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Too bad. Both suck and are dwarfed by their competitors.