MS STOP RUINING Xbox 180!!!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

I'm going to keep it totally real here. I'm FED UP with MS caving in and doing what all the little whiny fanboys want on the internet. They just keep messing things up worse.

First let me say this i'm totally pissed that MGS GZ is freaking 720p why can't Kojima just make the X1 version run at lower fps like mid 40's and have it at 1080p that would be fine. I'm going to assume that this game was far to along in development and it's set now before MS will have any upcoming performance updates.

Ok back to graphics. Look we had a lot of varied opinions on the scaler chip in the X1. Some like it some hated it. I for one really liked it. You heard people complain about crushed blacks and more jaggies. I for one was ok with it yes it was a trade off but it really made the games pop and have great texture detail so it didn't matter if it was in 1080p or 720p the games had really good looking textures so it looked great regardless.

Now with the recent update things look a little to soft. It's basically on par with the PS4 in regards to having a softer image. I personally do not like it because we clearly have lost some of the great texture detail in games. I know it's a trade off and some will have varying opinions on this. But again I personally would take the way it was before the update games to me looked better with sharper textures and as a whole games looked better.

This shit is getting ridicules with MS. MS should of just stuck to their guns with everything. They should of just released the X1 as an always online system and just kept the scaler the same and just did it like they had planned. But instead whiny little trolls on the interwebs piss and moan and MS has been biting on everything and just screwing this box all up.

#2 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (2473 posts) -

#3 Posted by Heil68 (40600 posts) -

Well after MS got knocked the fuck out at E3, they really didnt have a choice. MS was forced to follow SONY's by gamers for gamers mantra. But in the end SONY is still dominating sales.

#4 Edited by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Well after MS got knocked the fuck out at E3, they really didnt have a choice. MS was forced to follow SONY's by gamers for gamers mantra. But in the end SONY is still dominating sales.

I honestly think they would have the same amount on X1 sales if they kept all the ideas in place. Thus far most of the buyers are true Xbox gamers anyway. So after a few months the dust would of settled and things would of been fine and they would of still had their best ideas in place and have the best Xbox One in peoples hands. But now they are just like trying to redesign this system it's getting crazy.

#5 Edited by Boddicker (1957 posts) -

How would giving into the popular opinion of the internet changed anything about the capabilities of X1? It still would have had the 32MB ESRAM bottleneck. It was a shitty design decision plain and simple. The bottomline is it's a box made for instant switching between TV and gaming than just gaming. Kinda defeats the purpose when you still have to rent a cable box. Maybe if MS had contracts with major cable providers allowing them to use the X1 as the cable box they would have had something.

For what little it's worth I agree with you. MS should have stuck to their guns about always being online and kept the used game policies. That sure would have looked good to devs and probably would have garnered it more exclusives.

#6 Edited by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

How would giving into the popular opinion of the internet changed anything about the capabilities of X1? It still would have had the 128MB ESRAM bottleneck. It was a shitty design decision plain and simple. The bottomline is it's a box made for instant switching between TV and gaming than just gaming. Kinda defeats the purpose when you still have to rent a cable box. Maybe if MS had contracts with major cable providers allowing them to use the X1 as the cable box they would have had something.

For what little it's worth I agree with you. MS should have stuck to their guns about always being online and kept the used game policies. That sure would have looked good to devs and probably would have garnered it more exclusives.

They should of kept those plans and launched with a 1TB hard drive so everyone would be on board with going all digital most are going that way anyway in the next 1-2 years I already am. Also the 32 well 47mb ESRAM was honestly a great engineering decision but here's the thing it's for being an always online box. The ESRAM will really shine when paied with the cloud it allows for lower latency and helps great with higher bandwidth pings. So from that aspect it's a good decision. So I guess in 3-4 years when games become the norm of being always online we will see the great benefits much more of the ESRAM. I also think in the meantime developers will start to find ways to use it in cool ways.

#7 Edited by edwardecl (1324 posts) -

Dude, the texture detail was never there to begin with. All that was was a nasty hack that looks OK is some areas and total shit in others, if the devs intended to have sharper textures then they would have made them like that to begin with. Also the lack of AA on some titles made it look horrible with the sharpen filter so I guess that's why they removed it.

An online only console would have been even more of a disaster, they are in the business to make money. not keep a small group of people happy. But yes they could have made filter optional/selectable.

#8 Edited by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

Dude, the texture detail was never there to begin with. All that was was a nasty hack that looks OK is some areas and total shit in others, if the devs intended to have sharper textures then they would have made them like that to begin with. Also the lack of AA on some titles made it look horrible with the sharpen filter so I guess that's why they removed it.

An online only console would have been even more of a disaster, they are in the business to make money. not keep a small group of people happy. But yes they could have made filter optional/selectable.

Go into your TV setting and play with your sharpness you will see how much better games can look by turning it up but you have to be careful not to go to high and add to much artifacts and jags. I hope in a near future update MS can maybe find a middle ground and bring it back some and make a adjustment to give some of the sharpness back but also give some of the softness look becuase currently I feel it's a little to soft looking.

#9 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (2304 posts) -

Lemming upset, just what the doctor ordered.

#10 Posted by Boddicker (1957 posts) -

@me3x12 said:

@Boddicker said:

How would giving into the popular opinion of the internet changed anything about the capabilities of X1? It still would have had the 128MB ESRAM bottleneck. It was a shitty design decision plain and simple. The bottomline is it's a box made for instant switching between TV and gaming than just gaming. Kinda defeats the purpose when you still have to rent a cable box. Maybe if MS had contracts with major cable providers allowing them to use the X1 as the cable box they would have had something.

They should of kept those plans and launched with a 1TB hard drive so everyone would be on board with going all digital most are going that way anyway in the next 1-2 years I already am. Also the 32 well 47mb ESRAM was honestly a great engineering decision but here's the thing it's for being an always online box. The ESRAM will really shine when paied with the cloud it allows for lower latency and helps great with higher bandwidth pings. So from that aspect it's a good decision. So I guess in 3-4 years when games become the norm of being always online we will see the great benefits much more of the ESRAM. I also think in the meantime developers will start to find ways to use it in cool ways.

I think it's still just a bit premature for going always online. It would alienate everyone that has a huge DVD/Blu-Ray collection and/or slow internet (like me). As for "the cloud" it's still just a pipedream for a country that was 30th on the list of average internet speeds last time I checked (I assume you live in the US).

Next gen I would like both Sony and MS consoles to go always online and consider dropping disc drives.

#11 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5024 posts) -

Xbox One has 32MB of ESRAM, not 128.

#12 Posted by Boddicker (1957 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

LOL

My bad. I knew something didn't feel right about that number.

#13 Edited by Wickerman777 (1107 posts) -

@me3x12 said:

I'm going to keep it totally real here. I'm FED UP with MS caving in and doing what all the little whiny fanboys want on the internet. They just keep messing things up worse.

First let me say this i'm totally pissed that MGS GZ is freaking 720p why can't Kojima just make the X1 version run at lower fps like mid 40's and have it at 1080p that would be fine. I'm going to assume that this game was far to along in development and it's set now before MS will have any upcoming performance updates.

Ok back to graphics. Look we had a lot of varied opinions on the scaler chip in the X1. Some like it some hated it. I for one really liked it. You heard people complain about crushed blacks and more jaggies. I for one was ok with it yes it was a trade off but it really made the games pop and have great texture detail so it didn't matter if it was in 1080p or 720p the games had really good looking textures so it looked great regardless.

Now with the recent update things look a little to soft. It's basically on par with the PS4 in regards to having a softer image. I personally do not like it because we clearly have lost some of the great texture detail in games. I know it's a trade off and some will have varying opinions on this. But again I personally would take the way it was before the update games to me looked better with sharper textures and as a whole games looked better.

This shit is getting ridicules with MS. MS should of just stuck to their guns with everything. They should of just released the X1 as an always online system and just kept the scaler the same and just did it like they had planned. But instead whiny little trolls on the interwebs piss and moan and MS has been biting on everything and just screwing this box all up.

Or they could have just designed the console properly. 1.3 tflops and DDR3 in late-2013 are some piss-poor decisions to say the least. And then on top of that they bundled in Kinect, something the vast majority of core-gamers (Y'know, the guys that actually buy games and not just the box) could care less about. MS screwed the pooch in royal fashion and there's no getting out of it now. Policy and software decisions can be changed on the fly but hardware blunders are forever. And I'm saying this as someone that has been a Xbox fanboy for 10+ years! As soon as I saw the specs I knew they were in trouble. At that point I was hoping for a delay and a redesign. They didn't do it and now they're screwed. I've accepted it and will (Gasp!) be buying a Sony console for the first time since the PS1 way back when. Chances are you'll do the same eventually.

#14 Edited by Gue1 (8102 posts) -

do you want your crushed blacks and the utterly high sharpening back, TC? Just go to the video settings of the Xbone and set the RGB to Full (0-255 output range) and you're set.

#15 Posted by shellcase86 (1704 posts) -

Even if they kept all the original feautres, I sincerely doubt they would have delivered on the initial premises.

#16 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28172 posts) -

It would seem to me that we can easily pull the same moves sheens pulled last generation.

that being resolution and fps don't matter since most of the time the 360 destroyed the ps3 in these departments.

#17 Posted by Gue1 (8102 posts) -

It would seem to me that we can easily pull the same moves sheens pulled last generation.

that being resolution and fps don't matter since most of the time the 360 destroyed the ps3 in these departments.

when lucky it was destroyed by 3 frames and pixels lower, not by having nearly twice the frame-rate and resolution. XD

#18 Edited by MonsieurX (27144 posts) -

Blog it?

#19 Posted by I_can_haz (5730 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

when lucky it was destroyed by 3 frames and pixels lower, not by having nearly twice the frame-rate and resolution. XD

Good catch. Lems are getting owned left and right by double the resolution and double frame rates and they say they can't see the difference. Yet this rabid lemming is talking about 360 destroying PS3 with 3 frames and a few 100 pixels. Lemming hypocrisy at its finest lol.

#20 Edited by misterpmedia (2058 posts) -

@me3x12 said:

What a goddamn meltdown.

At least you now admit that the scaler was enhancing the image for the worse it's just you that has poor taste in IQ. What the scaler chip is doing now is making the IQ normal, at least on the way to looking as good as the PS4 and PC versions which look almost identical albeit with the PC superior.

The scaler over sharpening now should be confirmed by all lems and crow will be served for anyone who thought the detail was "more intense, "popped more" "more texture detail".

Game, set and match.

#21 Posted by misterpmedia (2058 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Boddicker said:

LOL

My bad. I knew something didn't feel right about that number.

yeah the 128mb ESRAM fantasy is a Misterx and Mistercteam wet dream, that's probably why it didn't feel right lol.

#22 Posted by I_can_haz (5730 posts) -

Dat lem meltdown...

lems =

#23 Posted by misterpmedia (2058 posts) -

But you won't lol. Repress that saltiness that MS ruined your favourite console's successor :P. Keep trying to bring up the past as if it's at all relevant now. Baker gonna Baker, I guess.

#24 Edited by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

do you want your crushed blacks and the utterly high sharpening back, TC? Just go to the video settings of the Xbone and set the RGB to Full (0-255 output range) and you're set.

And what do you refer to in regards of this doing to the image quality? If i do this what should I expect to see? And what do you mean 0-255 range? In setting all i see is you can set it to full RGB but it just says PC(full RGB)?

#25 Edited by aroxx_ab (8649 posts) -

@I_can_haz:

LOL had been interesting to know what happened for real there in that gif :P

#26 Posted by Shewgenja (6931 posts) -

Lems like OP would sell us all down the deep dark river for the sake of XBox. Fucking AIDS.

#27 Posted by tyloss (829 posts) -

@me3x12 said:

@Boddicker said:

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

#28 Edited by tyloss (829 posts) -

We? You're a frauding lem who doesn't even own an Xbox One nor Playstaion 4.

#29 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

I just did some extensive testing with full RGB and limited and also the color depth from 24 to 30 to 36. Games I used were Forza 5 BF4 and Titanfall Beta. Here is what I know and found. They say it's best to use full RGB if you TV supports it. My TV does not the one i'm gaming on with that said I'm really torn but i've settled with keeping RGB set to full anyway because it does give deeper blacks with it set to full. Here is what I found really nice though is I set my color depth to 30 and I notice the color really pops at that setting over the default 24. I also tried 36 but it looked the same as 24. I assume it looked the same because my TV doesn't support 36 I guess but it defiantly looks way better set at 30.

So here's what I recommend for best picture look full RGB and color depth set at 30 assuming depending what TV your on and what color depths it supports. I made Titanfall look pretty decent with these setting. There is a draw back to using full RGB though in some games it will make blacks look to deep in some spots so it's a trade off. With it set to full it will give your games a more detailed sharper look but it will give deep black almost to deep in some spots it will also make the contrast look a tad higher. Either way no matter what you do play with the color depth because depending what color depth your TV supports it will look a lot better if you can bring it from 24 up to 30.

You will also have to play with your TV setting to readjust them after you make the setting changes in the Xbox settings because if you go Full RGB you may have to up the black level a notch on your TV settings or the brightness up a notch or two as for color you can probably leave your current color setting the same and just enjoy the extra pop you will get from bumping it from 24 up to 30 in the Xbox setting.

#30 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

I've gone back to limited RGB it's just to black in some spots in games with it set to full.

#31 Posted by Shielder7 (4330 posts) -

@me3x12 said: They should of kept those plans and launched with a 1TB hard drive so everyone would be on board with going all digital most are going that way anyway in the next 1-2 years I already am.

I'm not and that type of thinking is why MS is now getting spanked.

#32 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

@me3x12 said: They should of kept those plans and launched with a 1TB hard drive so everyone would be on board with going all digital most are going that way anyway in the next 1-2 years I already am.

I'm not and that type of thinking is why MS is now getting spanked.

You could still buy disk it would still have a disk drive the only one who would be screwed is Gamestop on used game sales but who freaking cares they been screwing gamers for years.