MS says no cheaper discless Xbox One coming

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131906-Microsoft-Denies-399-Disc-Less-Xbox-One

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Kinda figured, but it would have been a little too futuristic and niche of a product....plus I don't think a disc drive costs $100.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Another "insider" debunked.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Next time you create topic, make it worth discussing. Why are you posting this link, and why is it important? Don't just post a link in a topic and walk away. Just some shinfo.

-

On topic, the market isn't ready for a disk-less console unless Microsoft took steps to make it as though disk-less consoles had access to cheaper DD only games. Perhaps only then would it look more attractive.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the rumors are so false that M$ are now hunting down the guy that leaked all this stuff.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Hmmmm, a shame.

It would have been interesting to see the reactions atleast.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

It doesn't sound like a bad Idea at all... they probably working on it and just don't wanna say it.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: Are we in English class?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: Are we in English class?

We are in SW, and if one is going to spam the board with links, they are going to get locked.

BlessedChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BlessedChill
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer: I'm only mobile and I can't copy and pasted correctly.

Sorry man.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@BlessedChill said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: I'm only mobile and I can't copy and pasted correctly.

Sorry man.

No worries, just keep it in mind on the next go around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I doubt it myself but that's not debunking. MS aren't going to admit to any kind of cheaper or new unit because people might hold off to get the version so they'll lose sales at their current price point.

But yeh i doubt it's happening, who'd buy the thing? It'd be like placing your balls into the hands of MS and the game publishers who put out games a full £10-15 over the price they sell at retail.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I still highly prefer my games on a physical medium. If I had yet to buy a PS4 and Sony announced a cheaper discless model, I'd still buy the more expensive version.

Probably smart of Microsoft to keep just the one version on the market.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

noooo!! i really wanted them to release one because it would waste lots of their resources and would completely flop haha

it would have been beautiful

jeffmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeffmonster
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Haha........it's happening more and more. Fake ass insiders are growing on trees lately.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

What they need to do is offer a Kinect excluded model to have a lower priced version on the market.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jeffmonster said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Haha........it's happening more and more. Fake ass insiders are growing on trees lately.

the inside said m$ were considering it, i wouldnt be suprised if m$ were talking about doing something like this but many internal plans never make it to the public and this is prob one of them

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

Exactly what I expected.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts
@AdobeArtist said:

What they need to do is offer a Kinect excluded model to have a lower priced version on the market.

Microsoft will never do that as Kinect is paramount to their Xbox One vision. It's definitely hurting them in the short run but it'll be very useful in the long run.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

they going to denie everything because they are not ready to release the info. REAL or FAKE

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#21 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Microsoft will never do that as Kinect is paramount to their Xbox One vision. It's definitely hurting them in the short run but it'll be very useful in the long run.

agreed, They going to need more date then just few months before considering to remove the kinect

with the bad PR the xbox had and higher price. it was guaranteed that the ps4 would outsell it so pretty positive that was no shocker to MS

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@AdobeArtist said:

What kind of long term benefits do you see this having?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22673 Posts

They just debunked the first time I've had genuine excitement for their product... :-/

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

It could be real and MS is trying to keep it hid to sell the current xflops in stock.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
@AdobeArtist said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@AdobeArtist said:

What kind of long term benefits do you see this having?

Kinect allows Microsoft to further pursue the entertainment market.

When the Xbox One's price goes down to $200-$300, it'll open itself up to casual users. Users that most likely won't use the Xbox One to primarily play video games. They'll be using it for entertainment services like Skype, Netflix, Xbox Music, TV etc and the best thing about Kinect is the fact that it'll make those things much easier to interact with.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Don't worry. Someone will flip the switch.

That or this was MSes way of testing the waters to see if anyone would call them out for trying to be a weak-dick Steambox wannabe and... well.. people did.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

their loss.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Telekill

@Nonstop-Madness: I think that by the time X1 is that affordable that Kinect won't make a difference for the casuals as other devices will have similar tech built in.

As an example, I've already seen a commercial for a smart TV that uses voice and gesture commands without use of a secondary device. I can't remember the company or model.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Exactly, no diskless version will come out, but a price drop will happen.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Good, just give me a cheaper one by at least 100 and I'm on board!

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

They wouldn't admit it regardless. Who would buy a One knowing it could in some way be cheaper very soon? As it stands now, I'm not expecting a price drop from them because the console is still selling at the current price point. Only fanboys claim otherwise. For a $500 console to be selling as fast as it is when there are cheaper alternatives speaks volumes for the Xbox brand.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nonstop-Madness

@Telekill said:

@Nonstop-Madness: I think that by the time X1 is that affordable that Kinect won't make a difference for the casuals as other devices will have similar tech built in.

As an example, I've already seen a commercial for a smart TV that uses voice and gesture commands without use of a secondary device. I can't remember the company or model.

I definitely agree with this but it doesn't change the fact that Kinect still allows them to compete with those products.

One of the main reasons why I don't want an Xbox One is because I'm certain that the Xbox One's entertainment features, even with Kinect, will be matched by other products and service whether that's Google's Android TV (rebranded Google TV), Apple TV, Comcast's X1 Platform etc.

Kinect isn't Microsoft's golden ticket but it sure as hell helps them. Aside from Xbox and maybe Windows 8, Microsoft doesn't have another way to pursue the entertainment market like Sony, Apple, Google, Comcast etc.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@TheEroica:

They could still release it later. Plans change. But a trey fan of gaming and MS it wouldn't matter, they would just buy the console as is. :D

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Telekill

@Nonstop-Madness: I can agree with that.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yeah exactly. Wonder what that says about the other "leaks"?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

Lol, Oh MS the biggest liars and flip floppers in the industry...Of course you are going to tell us you aren't going to release a cheaper xbox one early next year or the holiday.

I mean if people know that they wouldn't buy any of the over priced xbones that are currently sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

I am calling this one, they definatly were/are planning a $100 cheaper version the holiday or early next year. This is a desperate save face move to convince people that they have to pay $500 if they want an xbone or everyone would just hold out for the cheaper version and investors would go balistic.

I also remember when MS said they couldn't remove the DRM or kinect and still use the system.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@Shewgenja said:

That or this was MSes way of testing the waters to see if anyone would call them out for trying to be a weak-dick Steambox wannabe and... well.. people did.

why would people call that out? its a different sku, without a diskdrive, a bigger hardrive a focus on DD and a cheaper price... there are no draconian DRM attempts in this rumor... just a different way to consume gaming from the physical norm. I like it. What would gamers call them out for?

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kinectthedots

@TheEroica: I don't know if it will be diskless or kinectless but they were/are definatly planning a $100 cheaper xbone sku. Everythig so far points to it.

the old PS3/360 trade in's for $100 off a ONE are already a big preperation phase. This announcement was only to keep people from holding off of purchasing a bone for the now $500 price. It's a business move, but so is the price cut. They need to do both to maximize profit.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@kinectthedots: sounds crazy, but Id rather keep kinect and ditch the bluray drive personally... Im cool with keeping my ps4 for disk based media and using the xone for DD... it'll be a really nice transition to the future of gaming where disk media goes the way of the cd.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

I would have the question the stability of an individual who actually though this was possibly the truth, Why would they go back to the very thing they AVOIDED because it might kill them BEFORE the original reveal? They put a disc drive in at the last minute.

Then the features that would happen without a disc drive that they were thinking of keeping put them in hot water months later.

Insider my ass.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I never expected a disc-less version to happen because retailers (especially GameStop and the like) want people to return to theirs stores and buy games from them. Someone who buys a disc-less game console has no reason to return to that store for games.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kinectthedots

@TheEroica said:

@kinectthedots: sounds crazy, but Id rather keep kinect and ditch the bluray drive personally... Im cool with keeping my ps4 for disk based media and using the xone for DD... it'll be a really nice transition to the future of gaming where disk media goes the way of the cd.

Sony will be diskless next gen also if they ever make another console, but I just don't like MS being the first to try this as they like to restrict alot of features behind pay wall and they will surely find every way in which it can be done. If it looks tasty enough others might follow (like sony with mandatory PSN+ for online) which would leave us no choice but to have all of our game features and the game itself held hostage behind digital pay walls and restrictions.

I am not totally against DD only, it just depends on how the compnay who controls it decideds to use the power of instant access or instant restriction. Steam works, but it is on an open ended platform so competition keeps it in check, it will be a little different on consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Of course they're not gonna say 'hey, we're totally gonna release a newer, cheaper model in a bit, so don't buy the current one on the market!' What did you all expect?

Although I don't quite understand how they expect retailers to stock a product on which they would be getting no margins, with no revenue from physical games to cover for that either.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Of course they're not gonna say 'hey, we're totally gonna release a newer, cheaper model in a bit, so don't buy the current one on the market!' What did you all expect?

Although I don't quite understand how they expect retailers to stock a product on which they would be getting no margins, with no revenue from physical games to cover for that either.

As i said above, a perfectly stupid brainless poster.

I'll repeat for others to see as well:

I would have the question the stability of an individual who actually though this was possibly the truth, Why would they go back to the very thing they AVOIDED because it might kill them BEFORE the original reveal? They put a disc drive in at the last minute.

Then the features that would happen without a disc drive that they were thinking of keeping put them in hot water months later.

This goes double for those who were around at those times.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Good. That would've been another sneaky way to implement their drm strategies.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@BlessedChill said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131906-Microsoft-Denies-399-Disc-Less-Xbox-One

Not surprising. They will probably remove the Kinect, but it ain't going to happen until next year at the earliest. I could see them bundling a game with the XB1 and still selling it for $499 though.

******************************************************************************************************

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Good. That would've been another sneaky way to implement their drm strategies.

There is no DRM strategy. That's been dead for awhile now. EA & Ubisoft are the only big companies with that crap still in place.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@BlessedChill said:

Good, that was a stupid option anyways.

Price drops are great, but let's not go removing optical drives when the damn HDD is only 500GB and the games take forever to install...especially when Kinect is just sitting there.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@Shewgenja said:

why would people call that out? its a different sku, without a diskdrive, a bigger hardrive a focus on DD and a cheaper price... there are no draconian DRM attempts in this rumor... just a different way to consume gaming from the physical norm. I like it. What would gamers call them out for?

Read my lips..

No. Used. Games.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Kinda figured, but it would have been a little too futuristic and niche of a product....plus I don't think a disc drive costs $100.

Yeah but MS makes a lot more from a sale in their digital store than retail. Plus the owner can't borrow or trade in games. So a discless console could easily make money in the long run. Only an idiot would buy one though.

Biggest problem with a no disc console is the owner can only buy games from the manufacturer. PC has gone almost all digital but there's plenty of competition.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@Shewgenja said:

@TheEroica said:

@Shewgenja said:

Read my lips..

No. Used. Games.

and they know that... there will be a sku for people that want a disk drive that will accept used games and a sku for the folks who don't bother with used games and would rather deal with competetively priced digital games. We can hypothesize all we want, but microsoft isn't gonna lock a digital store at 60$ premium prices for 6 months in a steam driven industry.... that would be suicide. Not saying it will be as great as steam either, but they'll find a happy medium that customers can live with. Thanks you Microsoft... right? Bring on the $399 XONE.... oh in white please.