MS pretty much confirms next-gen "set-top Xbox"? Seeking TV producer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Microsoft making entertainment media the focus of next gen confirmed?:P

Courtesy of NeoGaf.

Microsoft is seeking a TV producer capable of "creating a whole new category of cutting edge experiences built for Xbox 360, Kinect and Xbox Live".

According to a job ad spotted by OXM, the successful candidate will hold "substantial experience... on a number of known TV IP".

They'll also possess "substantial proven experience in managing the line production on medium to large scale broadcast shoots", "familiarity [with] the finance and business models inherent within TV production", and "experience... delivering end to end product designs (concepts, scripts, pitch materials etc)".

It was rumored last month that Microsoft is developing a low-cost alternative to Xbox 720 designed to provide streamed access to core entertainment services. It will reportedly arrive next year in the form of a set-top box, and the technology behind it may even be incorporated into a licensed Xbox television set.

Whether that's true or not, Microsoft's job ad clearly suggests that the firm's intent on boosting the amount of in-house TV content it produces.

Source

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
This is a shot at the Apple TV device.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Is anyone surprised by this?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Consoles are turning into wannabe cable boxes. I think rip consoles from exsistence.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
Pass.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

It wasn't long ago when Microsoft stated Xbox Live is seeing higher popularity in its multimedia offerings than it is in gaming which is surprising given how many more people game online on the Xbox than the other consoles.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts
MS has been at IPTV development for years, if they do come with a set top Xbox then probably a good idea they make sure it can use IPTV... though, MS needs to start worrying about Google, not Apple, once Google expands their 1 Gbps internet service and TV service for just a fraction of what cable and internet bundles go for, they're gonna be a telecom juggernaut, they're probably going to murder Comcast in the process.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 clyde46
MS has been at IPTV development for years, if they do come with a set top Xbox then probably a good idea they make sure it can use IPTV... though, MS needs to start worrying about Google, not Apple, once Google expands their 1 Gbps internet service and TV service for just a fraction of what cable and internet bundles go for, they're gonna be a telecom juggernaut, they're probably going to murder Comcast in the process.lamprey263
I really hope Google cable service to the UK. That will shock the pants off BT, Virgin and SKY.
SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts

well if thats true then that can mean only one thing...M$ charging monthly rather then annually for XBLG (like how cable/satellite companys do). i feel sorry for lems if my theory is right.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46
well if thats true then that can only mean one thing...M$ charging monthly rather then annually for XBLG (like how cable/satellite companys do). i feel sorry for sheep if my theory is right.SectorSix6
It will be a separate service.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts
Anything that attacks the cable companies is good by me... theyve been stealing our money for years! Comcast is like $160 a month for a basic hd package and internet... fuuuk that. Id much rather, hulu, netflix and amazon prime for 16$ a month total. I hope ms/apple/roku and the bunch wipe cable off the map
OldSnakePS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OldSnakePS3
Member since 2012 • 306 Posts
PS4 is for the core gamer: http://gamessuite.info/sonys-jack-tretton-shares-playstation-4-vision-it-is-about-core-gaming-and-x/ xbox 720 is for the casual confirmed
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

Anything that attacks the cable companies is good by me... theyve been stealing our money for years! Comcast is like $160 a month for a basic hd package and internet... fuuuk that. Id much rather, hulu, netflix and amazon prime for 16$ a month total. I hope ms/apple/roku and the bunch wipe cable off the mapTheEroica
Agreed.

Us gamers might see this as a bad thing, but even if MS completely abandons gamers (which cmon, do you honestly think they will? :roll: )there will still be alternatives for us.

With Cable, every provider is overpriced and under serviced. It's time cable got some stiff good old muscle competition from the likes of giants like Apple and Microsoft.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

So, consoles went from wannabe PC to wannabe TV set-top box?

RIP consoles. They no longer appeal me.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Anything that attacks the cable companies is good by me... theyve been stealing our money for years! Comcast is like $160 a month for a basic hd package and internet... fuuuk that. Id much rather, hulu, netflix and amazon prime for 16$ a month total. I hope ms/apple/roku and the bunch wipe cable off the mapPlagueless

Agreed.

Us gamers might see this as a bad thing, but even if MS completely abandons gamers (which cmon, do you honestly think they will? :roll: )there will still be alternatives for us.

With Cable, every provider is overpriced and under serviced. It's time cable got some stiff good old muscle competition from the likes of giants like Apple and Microsoft.

There is a big drive now from people to cut TV side from their cable service. Now that the internet is able to support HD streaming, the likes of Netfilx and Lovefilm are able to offer TV shows, on demand and in high quality for an incredibly low price without ad breaks means that companies like SKY and Virgin are going to have to think fast to stay current.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

so its official? next xbox to be about more "oh look its shiny" than actual proper games and non kinect crap?

SectorSix6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SectorSix6
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts

GamerwillzPS
you just recently got into PC gaming so why are you acting like some veteran hermit that feels the need to bad mouth consoles all of a sudden, fakeboy?
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Anything that attacks the cable companies is good by me... theyve been stealing our money for years! Comcast is like $160 a month for a basic hd package and internet... fuuuk that. Id much rather, hulu, netflix and amazon prime for 16$ a month total. I hope ms/apple/roku and the bunch wipe cable off the mapTheEroica
I agree 100%. Cable companies WAY overpriced and as those services like the ones you mentioned get better the less I need a cable company
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Casualbox out of the box this time. Hey, at least this time around they don't have the pretense of offering games on a console.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Pass. Heil68

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Honestly wouldn't mind an Apple TV-like version of the next Xbox. All my friends are probably sticking with Xbox next generation, so this would allow me to not spend 400 dollars on a machine just to talk with my friends.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

SectorSix6

you just recently got into PC gaming so why are you acting like some veteran hermit that feels the need to bad mouth consoles all of a sudden, fakeboy?

Hmm. Why not try to not act like an idiot?

Try this and we'll talk.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts
[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Anything that attacks the cable companies is good by me... theyve been stealing our money for years! Comcast is like $160 a month for a basic hd package and internet... fuuuk that. Id much rather, hulu, netflix and amazon prime for 16$ a month total. I hope ms/apple/roku and the bunch wipe cable off the mapclyde46

Agreed.

There is a big drive now from people to cut TV side from their cable service. Now that the internet is able to support HD streaming, the likes of Netfilx and Lovefilm are able to offer TV shows, on demand and in high quality for an incredibly low price without ad breaks means that companies like SKY and Virgin are going to have to think fast to stay current.

My wife and I made the decision last year and never looked back, and to be honest we make a pretty good living... I just couldnt allow them to kick us around anymore... its that whole industry. They act so lax because they think we dont have a choice but to buy their service. We do Netflix, and Hulu (to get the shows the next day after they air) and Amazon prime has come on very strong over the past year... Mix in some occasional Crackle (which is the weakest of the bunch, but free so why not?) and we have all the tv we can handle. All that said, though I will say that we are VERY much destination watchers, as in, we dont channel surf. we know exactly what we want to watch... if you are a channel surfer, it may not be the best practice for you. Lastly, I was worried most about missing baseball, but the roku/xbox/ps3 all support MLBTV so for 130$ a year (or $30 less than 1 month of comcrap) I get every Major league baseball game all year long.... yatzee! Really excited for cable to disappear...
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts
I don't think people realize the set top box and next Xbox are completely different things, or they do and are just acting like idiots.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Plagueless"] Agreed.

TheEroica

My wife and I made the decision last year and never looked back, and to be honest we make a pretty good living... I just couldnt allow them to kick us around anymore... its that whole industry. They act so lax because they think we dont have a choice but to buy their service. We do Netflix, and Hulu (to get the shows the next day after they air) and Amazon prime has come on very strong over the past year... Mix in some occasional Crackle (which is the weakest of the bunch, but free so why not?) and we have all the tv we can handle. All that said, though I will say that we are VERY much destination watchers, as in, we dont channel surf. we know exactly what we want to watch... if you are a channel surfer, it may not be the best practice for you. Lastly, I was worried most about missing baseball, but the roku/xbox/ps3 all support MLBTV so for 130$ a year (or $30 less than 1 month of comcrap) I get every Major league baseball game all year long.... yatzee! Really excited for cable to disappear...

I dont know what its like in the States but over here there is 3 ways to get TV. Over the air Freeview which is free (ironically), SKY (which is saterlite) and Virgin (which is cable). The last two offer internet services but with the speeds they offer, I dont really see the point of spending a vast amount of money to watch 3 channels. I can stream all the BBC's content from the iPlayer and ITV, Channel4 and Channel 5 all put their programming on demand on Youtube which I can watch for free. When I was in uni, we had Virgin's 50Meg package which was the top tier. No TV or phone service because it just wasn't needed. We had mobiles and the internet was fast enough that we could all stream.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

Consoles are turning into wannabe cable boxes. I think rip consoles from exsistence.ShadowDeathX
except wii u is not a wanna be cable box, it is a game machine , and we know next to nothing as far as sony is concerned , so right now its only microsoft and are we surprised? kenict any one , if any one id be surprised at is sony if they follow oh wait ,, no just no , i hope no one follows microsofts path ,

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
you know, WE ALL KNOW microsoft wants their system to be the main hub for household.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

I don't think people realize the set top box and next Xbox are completely different things, or they do and are just acting like idiots.lamprey263

Actually it's heavily rumored that their will be two versions. A "casual" X720, and a "hardcore X720. I'm guessing the obvious differences will be more HDD space and what not.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

What is this like Nintendo Wii U tv ?

It don't really matter what M$ is trying to add to entertainment systems ... its always going to be games plus other stuff

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

More non-gaming stuff that you have to have a subscription to use? Screw that sh*t.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

if a brand new console came out that did only one thing: Play Games. I'd drop Xbox and PS in a sec. As i speak, i can't play my F^cking games right now cause my mom is watching some stupid ass net flix serise called revenge. Dont get me wrong, i'm not mad at her, in fact i introduced her into all the movie features it has along with netflix as something we can enjoy from time to time. Now, its "When are you getting off you xbox i want to watch my show." Nuff said....

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

I am impress I wonder what is sony's answer to this. lol in the end it will be the one console to rule them all. In all honesty the idea of one machine to be the center of entertainment will be a solution for many. ditching cable box, roku players or apple tv and entertainment pcs. Microsoft really did put all its efforts on entertaintment and variety. their plan is really simple solotions started with windows 8, even with the bad press I think all the pieces will fall into place once the new xbox is out. Sony needs to start releasing some specs and rumors to amp people up. however since the new xbox will have blu-ray sony can ditch the xross bar and implement windows 8 along with a cutom u.i. and do the same thing just on a ps4 hardware they already revamp their online store.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clyde46

if a brand new console came out that did only one thing: Play Games. I'd drop Xbox and PS in a sec. As i speak, i can't play my F^cking games right now cause my mom is watching some stupid ass net flix serise called revenge. Dont get me wrong, i'm not mad at her, in fact i introduced her into all the movie features it has along with netflix as something we can enjoy from time to time. Now, its "When are you getting off you xbox i want to watch my show." Nuff said....

Trinitarian
Buy another Xbox if you're that bothered.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
I hope Microsoft stops focusing on media uses's for their next gen console and focus on gaming front most. I get why they are doing it but if I was to base a buy right now I would go for the PS4 atleast they seem to be going more traditional and releasing a gaming machine first then has media uses instead of the other way round like Microsoft
Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts
[QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

clyde46

well i would also need to buy a new 50 inch TV as well. I'm not rolling in doe my friend. And i'm not that bothered i'm glad she get to enjoy herself. Its just the simple fact that if xbox was a gaming only machine i wouldn't have to give in to my sharing nature and pay for its ramifications later on lol.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Trinitarian"]

Trinitarian

well i would also need to buy a new 50 inch TV as well. I'm not rolling in doe my friend. And i'm not that bothered i'm glad she get to enjoy herself. Its just the simple fact that if xbox was a gaming only machine i wouldn't have to give in to my sharing nature and pay for its ramifications later on lol.

You dont need another 50in TV. First world problems I guess...
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I remember reading an article that MS were goin to take apple to war and with the surface taking on the ipad and now this supposed set top box taking on apple tv it actually looks like they really are gunning for apple full on.

Im not a fan of apple or MS but i have to admit i'd like to see apple get brought down to earth with a thump by MS.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46

I remember reading an article that MS were goin to take apple to war and with the surface taking on the ipad and now this supposed set top box taking on apple tv it actually looks like they really are gunning for apple full on.

Im not a fan of apple or MS but i have to admit i'd like to see apple get brought down to earth with a thump by MS.

l34052
The trouble with Apple is their cult like following. Blindly buying Apple products just for the sake of it. But they make it so easy to share stuff between Apple devices, when I bought my MacBook Pro, after a while I thought about getting an iPad to travel and do some light work on instead of having to lug my 17in laptop around. Now I have an iPad and its so easy to use and more importantly its easy to get it to share content between all my Apple devices.
quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

If people are getting branding confusion from 3DS and Wii U I wouldn't like to think what this will do. Releasing two versions of the same console with differences like that is stupid. Some parents will take the cheap way out and opt for the tv box only to find their kid crying when it doesn't play his games.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

This is pretty obvious next step for MS.