MS or Sony ?? console cycle 5-6 good hardware or 8-9 better hardware???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

MS first console was 4 years, and Xbox 360 will be a little onger, they said a normal cycle or longer k so thats 5 or more years.

PS2 was on the shelves for 6 years before PS3 came out and still sold the best (from PS3 and Xbox360) for an additional 2 years as it reaches it's 9th year PS2 sales are still going and games are still being made. Sony has said it has a 10 year life cycle. So PS3 can be out in 8-9 years before PS4 comes out .... also in that way Sony makes a profit on its console over its life time even with the price cuts. Therefore Sony can make another high powered console.

SO my question is REGARDLESS of which company, which stratagie is better, a console every 5-6 years with mid tech or a 7-8-9 year life cycle with high tech but more cost??

mattacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattacular
Member since 2007 • 363 Posts

MS first console was 4 years, and Xbox 360 will be a little onger, they said a normal cycle or longer k so thats 5 or more years.

PS2 was on the shelves for 6 years before PS3 came out and still sold the best (from PS3 and Xbox360) for an additional 2 years as it reaches it's 9th year PS2 sales are still going and games are still being made. Sony has said it has a 10 year life cycle. So PS3 can be out in 8-9 years before PS4 comes out .... also in that way Sony makes a profit on its console over its life time even with the price cuts. Therefore Sony can make another high powered console.

SO my question is REGARDLESS of which company, which stratagie is better, a console every 5-6 years with mid tech or a 7-8-9 year life cycle with high tech but more cost??

Ravenlore_basic

I think it depends actually because there are problems with both strategies. The longer shelf life can be bad as sales of the old console can cannabalise sales of the new. However, as sony found out they could offset some of the cost of the expensive PS3 by the high sales of the PS2. I think that the 360 will have a much longer life as MS was forced to kill off the original xbox. A crappy deal made with Nvidia meant that they struggled to get costs down and were unlikely to see it making a profit.

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
I just hope Sony doesn't rush out another console, because the PS3 has a whole lot going for it with it's features and couldn't; imo, survive another "no profit system. I say regardless of what M$ and Nindy do, Sony should maximize what they have going for the PS3 and focus all there attention with 1st party and 3rd party support while gradually lowering the prices through out it's life cycle. It's older brother is still kicking butt 9-10 years in it, why not it's younger bro?
perfect_chao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 perfect_chao
Member since 2005 • 2066 Posts

Buy a gaming PC instead, console hardware lags behind after 1-2 years.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
I don't think MS has it as a core strategy to have a shorter console life. They got into the last gen late and were determined to be first into this gen, so I consider it a one time thing for them, and it cost them a ton. I think the third party developers are in the driver's seat now as to when the next gen starts, and they have made it clear they need this to be a looong generation to recoup their current gen investment and prepare for the next. Only Nintendo has the first party heavy hitters to strike out on a new gen solo without a ton of initial 3rd party support, and they also have the biggest need with the lack of HD support. 360 and PS3 are here for quite awhile.
Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lemmywinks_360
Member since 2007 • 1996 Posts

Its probably smarter to have a long life cycle for hardware makers because they can actaully turn a profit on it . Sony still loses money from selling the ps3 but makes it up by software sales. In the next couple of years the technology to produce the hardware will become cheaper and that means they can finally start to make money from it.

Camer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Camer999
Member since 2009 • 1729 Posts

The ps3 could have a 17 year life and would be better than anything on the market, tech wise.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts

The ps3 could have a 17 year life and would be better than anything on the market, tech wise.

Camer999
17 year life and still be the best console on the market tech wise? Give me a break..
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

Camer999
Wow, just no. Better for 17 years?? The RSX was already outdated when the PS3 was released...
Camer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Camer999

[QUOTE="Camer999"]

-GeordiLaForge-

Wow, just no. Better for 17 years?? The RSX was already outdated when the PS3 was released...

What? teh cell?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Playsation- December 3rd 1994 JPN

Playstation 2- march 4th 2000 JPN

Playstation 3-November 11th 2006

So i just wanted to clarify that microsoft, nintnedo, and sony systems sega systems...etc all follow the same 4-6 year release schedule.

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ravenlore_basic

perfect_chao

but this stratagie is even shorter. there is a new Graphic card every year or 2. $$$$$$ most peopel are not rich enough to buy a $200.00 dollar (mid range) card every 2 years!!

years or a $400.00 top of the line card every 3 years, so what is a good graphics card life cycle to pay for???

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Camer999
I'm sure you're joking but to put it into perspective ~ 17 years before the PS3 was released the release of the Super Nintendo occurred. 17 years is several lifetimes in tech-years.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

Think about how much even more powerful tech will be than this gen, how much will the new Xbox & Playstation cost when they are released? With the losses taken by each of them this gen Micrsoft & RROD as well as Sony & Blu Ray can either afford to be taking a big hit per console right from the start?

Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ravenlore_basic

Facts to keep in mind

1. Sony broke even in 2008 and until a further price drop will make a small profit per console sold. (google Gamer.blorge and PS3 makes net profit in 2009) or Isuppli ps3 tear down)
  2. MS has broke even also but unknown with its 199 model.
  3. Nintendo makes a profit with its Wii

all these companies could launch in 2012 with in total making money and waited the 6 years but who would be first and why?? Who would have the most to gain or lose.

I am sure some people would say its about time while others would just hold on to their console until the bitter end. (no more games being made)

who are you?? when is a good year and how what do you expect from next gen that is different than this gen??? Graphics, AI, ....Interaction via Wii like control... what???

Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

Ravenlore_basic

I think you assume that Sony supported the PS1-PS2 for a long time just for the sake of it or because it was their strategy. They supported the PS1-PS2 that long because the market allowed for it. I don't see why people assume that the same thing will happen in opposite circumstances.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
I have a feeling that come 2010 or 2011, we will see something new from nintendo and Sony, whilst MS will stick with Natal. But I just don't know. I'm sure by 2012 or 2013, new consoles will be either announced, or out.
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravenlore_basic

if games do not change a new console that changes things up like Nintendo did with Wii will come from both Sony and MS, but what changes are needed for next gen to sell well. will just better graphics be enough???

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

[QUOTE="perfect_chao"]

Ravenlore_basic

but this stratagie is even shorter. there is a new Graphic card every year or 2. $$$$$$ most peopel are not rich enough to buy a $200.00 dollar (mid range) card every 2 years!!

years or a $400.00 top of the line card every 3 years, so what is a good graphics card life cycle to pay for???

i have a x800 pro which i bought 4 years ago and was even top of the line it was about $200 and i can play call of duty 4 on it to were it blows away my xbox 360 copy without any problems with the frame rate

Camer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Camer999

[QUOTE="Ravenlore_basic"]

[QUOTE="perfect_chao"]

fatcat13sep

i have a x800 pro which i bought 4 years ago and was even top of the line it was about $200 and i can play call of duty 4 on it to were it blows away my xbox 360 copy without any problems with the frame rate

That sound unlikly isn't that a mad weak card in compairson to the 1900xtx which is what a 360 is (pretty much)

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

That sound unlikly isn't that a mad weak card in compairson to the 1900xtx which is what a 360 is (pretty much)

Camer999

This, and if I remember correctly that readeon series only supports up to 2.0 shaders, wich is useless in some games that need atleast 3.0 support.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Sony isn't going to wait 8-9 years before releasing another Playstation. That'd be stupid, and destroy them.

If Microsoft is smart they'll release a new console in a year or two, and the reason I say this is because if they can get something new out the door soon while Sony is still losing money then that would cripple Sony seeing as they'd have to release a new console to compete with it, and lose some more money.

Who knows though. Maybe they will both wait 10 years, but I doubt it given how the technology is so far behind PC now, and the Xbox thrives off a few of the PC multiplats.