MS mocks exclusivity to advertise Destiny by $ony

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

Good trolling, article courtesy of totalxbox.com:

Well this is... unusual. Microsoft has come up with an inventive way to promote Bungie's Destiny, out next week, after being denied "permission to run adverts for the game". That's according to a new website, Destiny Fragrance, tweeted and posted to Facebook by Xbox UK earlier this morning.

"Destiny is actually an epic new first-person shooter, available on Xbox," reads the copy. "Thing is, we didn't have permission to run adverts for the game. So we didn't. Thanks for smelling that something was up. Now get the game and become a legend."

I don't have anything to add to this, other than to point you in the direction of our Destiny review Q&A thread. The internet can be a strange place.

I hadn't known about the fact Sony had exclusive rights to advertise Destiny. And I guess it's another of the new lows they resort to.

Anyway, here's the website with the deal:

http://www.destinyfragrance.com/

#2 Edited by MBirdy88 (9294 posts) -

Yea because microsoft would never do that...

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one has ever secured exclusive rights to advertise an AAA game. Of course both companies tried to treat certain games as if they were exclusive but there was no exclusivity in that. And exclusive DLC is also something else.

#4 Posted by Shewgenja (11880 posts) -

And to think, if MS would have just held on to Bungie rather than crapping all over XBox gamers, they wouldn't have to do any of this. Now, how does that make you feel?

#5 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

And to think, if MS would have just held on to Bungie rather than crapping all over XBox gamers, they wouldn't have to do any of this. Now, how does that make you feel?

WTF?

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (11880 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but no one has ever secured exclusive rights to advertise an AAA game. Of course both companies tried to treat certain games as if they were exclusive but there was no exclusivity in that. And exclusive DLC is also something else.

Yes, let's just pretend a big XBox One splash at the end of every Madden commercial never happened for a moment.

#7 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

So, let me see if i got this straigh. Sony has a contract for exclusive advertising of the game, making it impossible for MS to promote Destiny and associate it with the xbox, so they made a "destiny fragrance" to bypass it?

Really? Really?

#9 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

I'd say this shows just how desperate MS is to get some of that Destiny hype/sales. As in, trying their best to make consumers "aware" that Destiny is also on their machines, despite the contract limits in regards to advertising. Sales will still probably favour the PS4 (exclusive bundle, DLC, PR+Marketing mostly focused on PS platforms and all that).

---

In any case, exclusive advertising is indeed weird. But not that different from what we've seen with certain franchises focusing most of their adds on one machine or another. And let us not forget MS's infamous timed exclusive DLC deals, which instead of adding exclusive value to their platform just annoyed consumers on other platforms.

Just like main culprit of this thread, Destiny, right?

#10 Posted by kuu2 (8164 posts) -

Can't blame Sony for doing what businesses should do. MSoft does this and will do it as well. I am just wondering what buildings Sony had to sell to come up with the cash?

Still not sold on Destiny.

#12 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3550 posts) -

Yea because MS never did that with every Call of Duty game being released on 360 last gen, they're hypocritcal if they're blaming Sony for advertising.

#13 Posted by -Damien- (5355 posts) -

that smells like xbone salty sweat

#14 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

Hey MS. Sony.

How about some games?

#15 Posted by CyberLips (1827 posts) -

I wish they would just stop with the timed exclusive bs and just invest in some games. This goes for both MS and Sony.

#16 Posted by intotheminx (1160 posts) -

Need I remind you that Rise of The Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive for MS?

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (14047 posts) -

A clown mocking a clown doesn't make a clown, not a clown.

#18 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (10587 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Desmonic said:

I'd say this shows just how desperate MS is to get some of that Destiny hype/sales. As in, trying their best to make consumers "aware" that Destiny is also on their machines, despite the contract limits in regards to advertising. Sales will still probably favour the PS4 (exclusive bundle, DLC, PR+Marketing mostly focused on PS platforms and all that).

---

In any case, exclusive advertising is indeed weird. But not that different from what we've seen with certain franchises focusing most of their adds on one machine or another. And let us not forget MS's infamous timed exclusive DLC deals, which instead of adding exclusive value to their platform just annoyed consumers on other platforms.

Just like main culprit of this thread, Destiny, right?

Or, you know, Tomb Raider (which isn't even DLC, it's a full blown game). Or the GTA4 DLC. Or the CoD DLC. Or Fifa FUT.

Kinda silly to throw rocks when one's house is made of glass. MS isn't exactly a "saint" when it comes to this stuff.

I'm not throwing rocks, some people just think it's MS that has been doing it and only MS.

And my stance is that a lot more people perceives Sony as paladins and saints while they're oblivious to their machinations. I've never claimed MS is a saint, and I'm well aware of what they are. This doesn't go quite the other way round, though, so I had to emphasize it and will continue it forever, until Sony is dropped off the pedestal.

#19 Posted by Heirren (19698 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Shewgenja said:

WTF?

What do you mean wtf? Bungie was with Microsoft. Microsoft felt it more important to buy an IP than hang on to a develop.

#20 Posted by kuu2 (8164 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: Welcome to Cowspot Salty.

#21 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

credit to neogaf's Zoba

#22 Posted by tormentos (20691 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Exactly.

They have been doing it with Call of Duty for years..hahahahaa

We have a say here in Puerto Rico..

"" Que malo es cuando la cocolia pica al Juey""

It basically mean is,It is very bad when the Blue crap bite the Mud crab back.

In fact Titanfall adds from MS didn't even mention the xbox 360 verion,let alone the PC version one..

Loading Video...

Epic.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Excuse me where do you live.? ON what planet COD games for years were advertise on xbox 360,only after the game came out it was advertise on PS3,in fact the version that broke the streak was Call of Duty Ghost for PS4,the rest of the COD had always been advertised on xbox 360 always.

It is well know that MS and Activision had a deal for Call of Duty Advertisement,man you lemming have short term memory problems.

In fact many were surprise and actually took it as the xbox one version not looking as good as the PS4 one when when Activision actually decided to advertise the PS4 version,we all know the debacle it happen with Ghost on xbox one been 720p.

#23 Posted by freedomfreak (45011 posts) -

Both these companies pull some shitty stuff in order to keep content from gamers across all platforms.

But that's how they compete, which sucks for the gamer.

#24 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

It's just business, MS would do and have done the same stuff the only people to blame are the people who accept bribes to make exclusive content and contracts, and that would be the publisher.

#25 Posted by speedfog (3510 posts) -

Sony being desperate

#26 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@speedfog said:

Sony being desperate

And MS Tomb Raider thing isn't an act of desperation?

#27 Edited by tacoma1972 (197 posts) -

I love the ms desperation with this and the buy an xbox on get a free game promo. They are scared shitless about the ps4 bundle and they should be........ Hahahaha

#28 Posted by StormyJoe (6809 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: This happens all the time. MS usually locks down advertisement for CoD.

#29 Edited by Chutebox (38879 posts) -

An I really reading a lem complain about something like this? Really???

#30 Edited by MBirdy88 (9294 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@MBirdy88 said:

No I've never seen certain games with only Xbox adverts ever /sarcasm.

I mean its not like Microsoft doesn't go and buy out Tomb Raider... a game PC and Playstation fans were looking foward to. but oh know, teh adverts!

The marketing of a game, I'm not law professional, but surely this had to be in discussion with Bungie themselves? If so... goes to show how little the XBOX ONE brand means at the moment.

#31 Posted by tormentos (20691 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I'm not throwing rocks, some people just think it's MS that has been doing it and only MS.

And my stance is that a lot more people perceives Sony as paladins and saints while they're oblivious to their machinations. I've never claimed MS is a saint, and I'm well aware of what they are. This doesn't go quite the other way round, though, so I had to emphasize it and will continue it forever, until Sony is dropped off the pedestal.

Oh please dude you just try to imply that no one has ever done that before when MS did it last gen all gen long,MS has been accuse a hell of allot more for this than Sony,MS is just bitter because Destiny look to have some weight behind it and hype and is the PS4 the one getting most the attention..

The fact that they make that Destiny fragrance cays it all,Sony never did that lol MS is butthurt... lol

And you are clueless about this Titanfall was advertise on xbox one alone and not even the xbox 360 version was advertised,let alone the PC one..lol hahahahaa

MS does this all the time.

#32 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5555 posts) -

lol the damage control.

Who gives a fuck if 'MS would do that too', the point is Sony wronged this time. Just like with Tomb Raider, it would be a different story on here if Sony made the deal.

Why get defensive, Sony made a prickish deal. And MS found a smart way out. And it would have been the same if it was a reverse situation. Then we'd be calling Sony smart.

It is okay to call the almighty Sony out once in a while for being pricks too ya know. Anyone who makes freakin advertising exclusive is being a prick.

#33 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5555 posts) -
@edwardecl said:
@speedfog said:

Sony being desperate

And MS Tomb Raider thing isn't an act of desperation?

Again, what does one prick move have to do with the other?

#35 Posted by MBirdy88 (9294 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

lol the damage control.

Who gives a fuck if 'MS would do that too', the point is Sony wronged this time. Just like with Tomb Raider, it would be a different story on here if Sony made the deal.

Why get defensive, Sony made a prickish deal. And MS found a smart way out. And it would have been the same if it was a reverse situation. Then we'd be calling Sony smart.

It is okay to call the almighty Sony out once in a while for being pricks too ya know. Anyone who makes freakin advertising exclusive is being a prick.

Who's really damage controlling here? I think its you.

#36 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5555 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

lol the damage control.

Who's really damage controlling here? I think its you.

How so? I'm not defending either, rather I'm defending the position is that an eye for an eye doesn't do anyone any favours. As gamers isn't it better to equally call them both out when they act like dicks? Instead of the playground 'he did it first' thing.

#37 Edited by tormentos (20691 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

lol the damage control.

MS is bad at this that they actually advertised Titanfall just for the xbox one and not even for xbox 360...ahahahaha

MLB was advertized for PS4 and PS3,sony always advertise their games for the multiple platforms that are in house,MS could not even do that,and the Pc and xbox 360 version where not advertized for Titanfall,reason why the game sold better on xbox one,when the xbox 360 has an endlessly bigger FPS community than the xbox one,Ghost on 360 sold 3 times what Titanfall probably sold on all platforms,yet Titanfall on xbox 360 sold like sh**,MS didn't advertise it..

Loading Video...

The only one doing DC is you here,oh and i think Madden also have the same deal with MS..

MS just can't believe that Bungie signed a deal with sony for advertisement and are bitter and butthurt about something they did all gen last gen and this one to.

#38 Posted by sts106mat (20713 posts) -

@tormentos said:

It basically mean is,It is very bad when the Blue crap bite the Mud crab back.

Giant enemy "crap" alert

#39 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

destiny is actually a really cool name for a fragrance

@deadline-zero0 said:

credit to neogaf's Zoba

haha thats class

#40 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (5555 posts) -
@tormentos said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

lol the damage control.

MS is bad at this that they actually advertised Titanfall just for the xbox one and not even for xbox 360...ahahahaha

MLB was advertized for PS4 and PS3,sony always advertise their games for the multiple platforms that are in house,MS could not even do that,and the Pc and xbox 360 version where not advertized for Titanfall,reason why the game sold better on xbox one,when the xbox 360 has an endlessly bigger FPS community than the xbox one,Ghost on 360 sold 3 times what Titanfall probably sold on all platforms,yet Titanfall on xbox 360 sold like sh**,MS didn't advertise it..

The only one doing DC is you here,oh and i think Madden also have the same deal with MS..

MS just can't believe that Bungie signed a deal with sony for advertisement and are bitter and butthurt about something they did all gen last gen and this one to.

So let's call MS out for the Titanfall one, I'm not absolving them of their crimes. Here, I'll start, fuck MS for their Titanfall nonsense.

But this one is about Sony and their BS and I'll still going to call them out too.

So it's still you damage controlling, I'm afraid.

#41 Posted by chikenfriedrice (11447 posts) -

That is good stuff

#42 Edited by Strutten (1227 posts) -

Hahah, hilarious good stuff !:) Thumbs up MS!

@tormentos First : Dude, get a sense of humor(like seriously).. second: this is clearly not healthy for you, last but not least: lay off the keyboard, go out and get some fresh air - maybe walk a couple blocks..

And also you are the one DC'ing yet again, this is funny crist - get a grip instead of all the bashing/dc'ing.. psst dude, embarrasing..

#43 Edited by SolidTy (46626 posts) -

I guess Nintendo and Sony should start making snarky fragrance ads? Did we forget tons of ads for Call of Duty and various other games advertised as Xbox games in ads? What about Madden for Xbone right now? It was going on all generation long last gen. I didn't bother me, that's how the cookie crumbled. I honestly don't care about ads and marketing and PR.

It's kind of strange to advertise another companies product at any rate...assuming this is on the up and up.

Activision should be thankful of any extra sales for this free advert (assuming it's legit). The reality is this is probably an Activision approved ad and the ad is just having fun with gamers. The goal of course is to get people talking about the ad and promote the Xbox version of the game.

I wish I cared about Destiny. I don't.

---

While I'm here:

M$ did promote Evolve in a shady way. For whatever reason, M$ falsely announced Evolve was exclusive to Xbone on youtube back when the game was announced by the game developers as a multiplat (PC, PS4, Xbone):

Various channels were sent the EVOLVE game trailer to be promoted including Playstation and Xbox channels.

These Evolve trailers were the same exact Evolve Trailers on various channels, but one channel (xbox) deliberately changed the ending of the trailer adding an extra few seconds to claim, "Only On Xbox One" (Starts at 2:28-2:32) at the end of the video!

Loading Video...

#44 Edited by uninspiredcup (14047 posts) -

This probably would have been witty if they weren't massive hypocrites paying people to time exclusives.

Otherwise it's essentially assholes trying to make out other people as assholes. That doesn't negate you (Microsoft) being assholes.

#45 Edited by Alcapello (1312 posts) -

Sony

Microsoft

#46 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19770 posts) -

people always knock the top dogg

#47 Posted by tormentos (20691 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

destiny is actually a really cool name for a fragrance

@deadline-zero0 said:

credit to neogaf's Zoba

haha thats class

http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Marilyn-Miglin-Women-Ounce/dp/B000VOPIBQ

There is one already so MS better be careful..hahaha

#48 Posted by mems_1224 (49333 posts) -

lol thats pretty good.

#49 Posted by Animal-Mother (27175 posts) -

Yes sony is the only one who exclusively advertises games.... Ohh Wait... Did someone say call of duty?

Always have to throw in a bit of stupid in SW I guess though.

#50 Posted by tormentos (20691 posts) -
@Strutten said:

Hahah, hilarious good stuff !:) Thumbs up MS!

@tormentos First : Dude, get a sense of humor(like seriously).. second: this is clearly not healthy for you, last but not least: lay off the keyboard, go out and get some fresh air - maybe walk a couple blocks..

And also you are the one DC'ing yet again, this is funny crist - get a grip instead of all the bashing/dc'ing.. psst dude, embarrasing..

See another post from, you without any counter argument and just a plain attack...hahahahaa

But but but but i never do that...hahaha

What i am DC when MS has done this all gen long last gen,and this one to..hahahaha

And some one claim MS has never done this..hahahaha