MS gave Sony a little push in the right direction....

• 105 results
#1 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

PS4 will get 3D support next week....trying to beat the August update from MS I see lol

Now if one company comes out with games maybe the other will try to beat them to the punch :P

Link

#2 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17366 posts) -

Sony has been tearin' it up. If anything, Sony has been stiff arming the competition.

#3 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4719 posts) -

Agreed. MS was the cause of this. That's why competition is a good thing folks.

#4 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

Indeed

#5 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13821 posts) -

I think Sony gave MS a kick in the ass in the right direction, lol.

#6 Posted by wolverine4262 (19234 posts) -

Sony has been tearin' it up. If anything, Sony has been stiff arming the competition.

They be gettin all dem AAAs.

... oh wait.

#7 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Why did it take so long for both consoles to add this feature?

#8 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

Beats me....the feature on my TV has been useless since I moved my PS3 to another room.

I'm glad both consoles are finally adding it.

#9 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4224 posts) -

Why is it taking so long for these retarded contraptions to get any features?

#10 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

Great, I can now watch the 3D films I don't have on the 3D TV I don't own on my GAMES console.

"Muh feachurs"

#11 Posted by darkangel115 (1582 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

The X1 has been getting new features almost monthly?

#12 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

Because 3D is a particularly nonimportant feature and it is a waste of money. Remember when this happened before and Sony did so well when they said 3D is going to be the future right?

#13 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

MS isn't "good" competition though.

#14 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

Great, I can now watch the 3D films I don't have on the 3D TV I don't own on my GAMES console.

"Muh feachurs"

Well I have a 3D TV and 3D films.....so the update is welcomed on my games console

And maybe we will get some 3D enabled games too....remember when that was a thing?

#15 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

Well I have a 3D TV and 3D films.....so the update is welcomed on my games console

And maybe we will get some 3D enabled games too....remember when that was a thing?

A gimmick that was even more pointless and died even faster than waggle did.

You'd think they'd learn.

#16 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4224 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@edwardecl said:

Yeah, but I wanna plug in a USB and play media on it.

A lot of the features are shit I don't care about like snap this that and the other.

#17 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

No.

I remember Sony hyping it up and having it fall off the face of the planet. The only thing it was a thing for was Sony.

#18 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

A gimmick that was even more pointless and died even more faster than waggle did.

It's not dead in movies

Most new TV's have 3D....when I bought my TV I didn't buy it for 3D but it was a nice bonus feature and I will use it once a while. Avatar in 3D was cool.

#19 Edited by darkangel115 (1582 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@edwardecl said:

Yeah, but I wanna plug in a USB and play media on it.

A lot of the features are shit I don't care about like snap this that and the other.

Give your feedback then

http://xbox.uservoice.com/

They work on the most popular ones 1st

#20 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

It's not dead in movies

Most new TV's have 3D....when I bought my TV I didn't buy it for 3D but it was a nice bonus feature and I will use it once a while. Avatar in 3D was cool.

Literally never seen a film in 3D (and most of them use lazy post-processing 3D which is by most accounts terrible), most TV stations are scrapping plans for 3D broadcasting and 3D games were as stillborn as the N-Gage.

Avatar is nearly five years old. Where did the time go?

#21 Posted by darkangel115 (1582 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

No.

I remember Sony hyping it up and having it fall off the face of the planet. The only thing it was a thing for was Sony.

AC3 and Arkham city had 3d. I can't think of many others to be honest

#22 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

No.

I remember playing UC3 in 3D and liking it....Crysis 3 on the PC too.

My main thing is movies though....if you are going to have a Bluray player...it should have 3D.

#23 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4224 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

"Muh feachurs"

A gimmick that was even more pointless and died even more faster than waggle did.

It's not dead in movies

I guess it's opinion, but I'm not into 3D most of the time, it doesn't look right, in a lot of films, it can make it look cheap. Sometimes in a film 3D makes it look like they're actors on a set instead of bringing you into what they're trying to create.

#24 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

It's not dead in movies

Literally never seen a film in 3D (and most of them use lazy post-processing 3D which is by most accounts terrible), most TV stations are scrapping plans for 3D broadcasting and 3D games were as stillborn as the N-Gage.

When it's done right and shot in 3D ( like Avatar ) it's really cool. But you are right...most studios just tack on 3D to make more money and the end result is not good. And the TV broadcasting was horrible.

But some games did it well.

#25 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -

To be fair 3D is better than nothing but its not the reason why people buy consoles or the 3DS (ironically). To obsess on the feature and make it sound like the future of gaming is just crazy seeing as how everytime developers and the big three try to do it, it doesn't do quite as well as they thought it would. It only appeals to a small population. It is a nice little extra though.

#26 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4719 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Look, I could fanboy on and on about playstation all day, but it's obvious that Sony are holding back updates on purpose. If MS announces they are doing it, and Sony says it will be in an update next week just after MS said, then it's obvious that they already had it ready, and was waiting for high demand. And MS gave them the incentive to do so.

MS may not be the best possible competition right now, but some of the games they are getting like Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Forza H2 etc are at least competing with TLOU R, DriveClub, LBP3, and the likes.

So ya know, no need to troll 24/7.

#27 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2844 posts) -

Not a feature Im interested in but this was a good call by Sony, after I read yesterday that once again, their monthly update would just be for stability purposes, I can imagine a lot PS4 owners were pissed about this considering how extensive the XOne updates have been recently. Its nice to see Sony actually make a statement about something, because other than updating us with monthly sales results, they seem to be very quiet and have minimal interactions with their customer base.

#28 Posted by clyde46 (45984 posts) -

"Muh feachurs"

You are not the majority

#29 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17366 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

They be gettin all dem AAAs.

... oh wait.

I don't know about you, but I've been playing my ps4 quite a bit this year.

#30 Posted by clyde46 (45984 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

It's not dead in movies

Citation?

#31 Posted by tormentos (17694 posts) -

PS4 will get 3D support next week....trying to beat the August update from MS I see lol

Now if one company comes out with games maybe the other will try to beat them to the punch :P

Link

That update was coming for a long time it takes time to do it,and i am sure sony didn't make that update in 3 days just to beat MS.

#33 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Link

That update was coming for a long time it takes time to do it,and i am sure sony didn't make that update in 3 days just to beat MS.

No, but never heard about it until MS announced it....it could have been ready but maybe they were holding on. Of course it doesn't take 3 days add 3D.

This update was for "stability" when it was announced....now it also adds 3D. Hmmmmm.

#34 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3638 posts) -

I'd say that both companies ended up rushing their consoles out of the door and had a bunch of unfinished features as a result.

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

It's not dead in movies

When it's done right and shot in 3D ( like Avatar ) it's really cool. But you are right...most studios just tack on 3D to make more money and the end result is not good. And the TV broadcasting was horrible.

But some games did it well.

Avatar is funny like that :) It's 3D effects were easily the best part of an otherwise underwhelming film and they were implemented amazingly.

3D needs to be more subtle than most implementations are.

#35 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Citation?

http://www.slashgear.com/3d-failure-bbc-abandoning-3d-after-broadcast-trial-meets-viewer-apathy-05289203/

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/12/was-3-d-tv-failure-espn-to-end-broadcasts/

http://betanews.com/2014/04/07/why-3d-tv-is-failing-in-the-home/

Last year, an estimated 6 percent of TVs in the U.S. were able to show 3-D programming, according to the most recent data from research firm IHS Screen Digest.

Congratulations to the 6% of people in the United States who own a 3D TV, you can now play 3D films on the console that you might own even though you more than likely have a 3D blu-ray player already.

#36 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Look, I could fanboy on and on about playstation all day, but it's obvious that Sony are holding back updates on purpose. If MS announces they are doing it, and Sony says it will be in an update next week just after MS said, then it's obvious that they already had it ready, and was waiting for high demand. And MS gave them the incentive to do so.

MS may not be the best possible competition right now, but some of the games they are getting like Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Forza H2 etc are at least competing with TLOU R, DriveClub, LBP3, and the likes.

That's just speculation, nobody knows why Sony is slow at updates. But that doesn't really matter...

The point is that MS is bad competition, they helped to trun the industry into a wrong direction.Or do you like paying for online? (I'll speculate too) Chances are PS4 would still be free of charge for online play if it wasn't for MS. And let's ignore the DRM, 24/7 online,...they wanted to push onto the industry...

MS never really cared about games, they just wanted to "own" the living room but they failed...

MS should leave the market and a better competitor should enter the market. But LOL if you think MS is "good" competition though.

#37 Posted by clyde46 (45984 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Citation?

http://www.slashgear.com/3d-failure-bbc-abandoning-3d-after-broadcast-trial-meets-viewer-apathy-05289203/

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/06/12/was-3-d-tv-failure-espn-to-end-broadcasts/

http://betanews.com/2014/04/07/why-3d-tv-is-failing-in-the-home/

Last year, an estimated 6 percent of TVs in the U.S. were able to show 3-D programming, according to the most recent data from research firm IHS Screen Digest.

Congratulations to the 6% of people in the United States who own a 3D TV, you can now play 3D films on the console that you might own even though you more than likely have a 3D blu-ray player already.

Well shit. I hope that 4K doesn't go the same way.

#38 Posted by blackace (20562 posts) -

I think Sony gave MS a kick in the ass in the right direction, lol.

I think it was the other way around after Sony's disaster last gen. Of course Sony still hasn't corrected the billions in loses every year, so M$ may need to give them a few more kicks.

#39 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4719 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

That's just speculation, nobody knows why Sony is slow at updates. But that doesn't really matter...

The point is that MS is bad competition, they helped to trun the industry into a wrong direction.Or do you like paying for online? (I'll speculate too) Chances are PS4 would still be free of charge for online play if it wasn't for MS. And let's ignore the DRM, 24/7 online,...they wanted to push onto the industry...

MS never really cared about games, they just wanted to "own" the living room but they failed...

MS should leave the market and a better competitor should enter the market. But LOL if you think MS is "good" competition though.

I do agree that they have put bad ideas on the table. Like pay for online, DRM, spy camera, and the like. And I do like PlayStation a lot better. But a competition of some sort is always healthy. Wether it be good or bad.

Don't be a cock suppaman. Be a sport ey?

#40 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

You are trippin....You don't think MS offered good competition with the 360? They took a big chunk of Sony's user base. Sony was cocky and arrogant with the PS3 and MS took advantage of that. MS was the same with the X1 and Sony is taking advantage of that now, but they realized they effed up and are correcting it. This gen is far from over and for you to think some other company can just jump right in and be competition is ridiculous.

#41 Posted by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I do agree that they have put bad ideas on the table. Like pay for online, DRM, spy camera, and the like. And I do like PlayStation a lot better. But a competition of some sort is always healthy. Wether it be good or bad.

Don't be a cock suppaman. Be a sport ey?

Everyone has his opinion. I don't think MS brought anything good to the industry.

And not every competition is good for the industry imo.

#42 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4719 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

You are trippin....You don't think MS offered good competition with the 360? They took a big chunk of Sony's user base. Sony was cocky and arrogant with the PS3 and MS took advantage of that. MS was the same with the X1 and Sony is taking advantage of that now, but they realized they effed up and are correcting it. This gen is far from over and for you to think some other company can just jump right in and be competition is ridiculous.

Isn't that what Sony did in 1994? And wiped the floor with everybody? Xbox just jumped in too. Apple could easily make a console and compete. Samsung could. Any massive corp could.

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (17341 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Indeed

totally agreed. Push each other.

#44 Posted by stereointegrity (10706 posts) -

i get this is a game console...but something as basic as this shouldnt have taken this long...especially when ur previous console did it

#45 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Isn't that what Sony did in 1994? And wiped the floor with everybody? Xbox just jumped in too. Apple could easily make a console and compete. Samsung could. Any massive corp could.

Original Xbox didn't take the world by storm....it takes a lot of money to do this and most companies don't want any part of it...otherwise they would have already. What are they waiting for?

#46 Posted by cainetao11 (17341 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Right because the PS3 out of the gate was god's gift to gamers. Sony realized, learned because of stiff competition from 360 and Wii and came strong to the plate with the PS4. Hate them all you want, but its basic facts of business.

#47 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4719 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Original Xbox didn't take the word by storm....it takes a lot of money to do this and most companies don't want any part of it...otherwise they would have already. What are they waiting for?

But PlayStation did. And Sony had no prior experience in the game industry. They were one of the biggest companies on earth at the time though. So they had plenty money.

But then so did MS in 2001. Only Sony were on such an astronomical role that no other company could even get near them. A true feat.

PS1 is still the GOAT console imo.

Times may be different now, but nothing is actually stopping Samsung, Apple, Google, from releasing a proper console. What are they waiting for? Who knows? perhaps there isn't room in the industry for another console giant... Again, speculation.

#48 Edited by Suppaman100 (3860 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Suppaman100 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

L O L at comparing Sony's former situation with the X1, they are not comparable.

Was Sony arrogant? Yes, they have some lolworthy quotes. But their product at the time, the PS3, was good an offered a lot of value. (cheapest Blu-ray player, free online, built in wifi,...) And in the end they overtook 360.

MS's situation is totally different. This is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR worse than Sony's post 2005's arrogance. MS backpaddled on every vision they had for Xbone. It's so pathetic that some of you are praising MS for something they should've done in the first place...focus on games. In Jim Sterling's words; the Xbone is a failure machine. And Xbone brings nothing to the table, because MS dumped kinect and their vision for the Xbone, now we're left with a pathetic weak box that stands for nothing. Xbone is not like the PS3. Xbone has nothing to top PS4 at all, if MS doesn't fix its first-party support for the Xbone it will be even more pathetic than now.

And LOL if you think this gen hasn't already been decided. I think it could be MS's last console, MS wanted to own the living room and failed with Xbox to do that. Also with the new CEO in place at MS, this is a very realistic option. Shareholders won't be too happy if MS keeps throwing money in a botomless pit, that is Xbox.

#49 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: times are way different than in 1994...you better have the 3rd party support out of the gate or you are doomed or a killer 1st party system seller. Halo made the Xbox.

I think the home console market is unattractive and a big risk for those big companies.

#50 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10175 posts) -

@Suppaman100: If it wasn't for MS your beloved PS4 would not be what it is today....you can't deny that. That is because of the competition MS provided.

If MS leaves the console market, even though the X1 is what the 3rd fastest selling console of all time? It would be a sad day.

I don't give a shit what Jim Sterling says...is he supposed to be somebody? MS had a plan, gamers revolted....they changed that plan because of that backlash. They did panic a bit with kinect but I guess it's paying off....I for one would not want the X1 without the functionality that kinect brings. It is the center of my gaming/living room like MS intended.