motivations for pre ordering

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

what motivates you to pre order a game?

impatience? just need it ASAP.

quality? assume it will be good for whatever reason.

bonuses? could a bonus convince you to pre order?

stock levels? worried if you don't pre order you'd miss out.

social event? maximum chatter occurs in the early days and ya wanna participate, and speak with others about your experience.

accidental early delivery? chance the game arrives before release day. (cheers sts)

another reason? insert your another reason in either english or latin please. also a shout out to lostrib-

for me, its either impatience; or the social event of discussing a game at the same time as other people who are also discovering it from zero.

also for me, not motivated by bonuses, refuse to buy into pre-release quality assumptions for any reason including developer pedigree, stock level ... i'd just miss out

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I haven't pre ordered a game in years, but when I used to it was always out of pure hype. Just knew I wanted the game so I'd go ahead and pay it off. Only once was it for a bonus, some stupid skin for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I don't really pre-order games. Seems pointless to me and a good way to lose track of how much money I have in the bank.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

There's absolutely no good reason to do so, unless you're ordering something for the Wii U or 3DS, then it's essential, because they never keep any inventory of that stuff because nobody ever pre-orders it. For stores like GameStop you pretty much have to pre-order or buy 3DS/WiiU games at release or you might not get it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, quite a few of those reasons. Basically, if I'm gonna get it, might as well preorder. I get my stupid pre-order bonus, and I'm sure that I get my copy, too.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The fear of not getting the full game and regretting it.
Civ Beyond Earth... Will those preorder bonuses matter? Will they be for sale later on? Probably is not good enough for me.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@sts106mat: ah the chance to get the game early. i never thought of that. you helped. you added a suggestion.

@lamprey263 said:

There's absolutely no good reason to do so, unless you're ordering something for the Wii U or 3DS, then it's essential, because they never keep any inventory of that stuff because nobody ever pre-orders it. For stores like GameStop you pretty much have to pre-order or buy 3DS/WiiU games at release or you might not get it.

oh yeah absolutely i'm not defending impatience etc. i think the social reason is fairly legit though. and yes i agree with you - securing a copy.

@getyeryayasout said:

If there's a pre-order bonus that's actually worthwhile, or as a vote of confidence for an indie title.

Also then I can use it as a pick-up line, "Come here beautiful, what's your name? We'll that's a beautiful name, tell me, what'chu know about a midnight release, girl?". Works every time, they're like putty in my hands after that.

yeah one can meet a person at midnight releases, ask them to marry, then copulate for the purposes of producing progeny ASAP. aka: taking one's time

& thanks for the other responses, i read them all.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

as a pc gamer, if i want a game day one, its cheaper to preorder

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't pre - Order games anymore I get them on the day of release.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'll pre-order something if it's a special edition or if I'd like to get the game 1-2 days early before release date.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I never pre order games.