Most Underrated console of all time?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Which console was severely underrated? I think Dreamcast, only lasting 2 years has the biggest cult following of any "failed" console.

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Dreamcast or Saturn. Both are excellent and deserved better. Dreamcast for a really fun and diverse library. Saturn for nearly arcade perfect 2d fighters, good to great rpg's, and awesome shooters. In my estimation they are equally underrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Gamecube.

manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

The Gamecube

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

**** no man, the Dreamcast is one of the most overrated consoles and only has such a cult following because it was short lived and was Segas last console. Sometimes I wish it would have been a success just so we wouldn't see so many gamers blindly worshiping it.

I'm not a big fan of the Gamecube myself, but it had some heavy hitters for sure and is definitely underrated by most.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Dreamcast, Gamecube, Neogeo Pocket Color & WiiU

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Wii U.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Gamecube and Wii U.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Gamecube and Saturn.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

After this gen? Vita and WiiU.

Previously they were the Dreamcast and Gamecube (and Saturn I guess) but lately those systems have started to see some love.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

GC

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Saturn, loved the near perfect arcade ports. Plus the system looked so sexy.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

3DO

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Dreamcast and Wii U. Easily.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Gamecube.

This. Was overshadowed by the Ps2 even though it had way better games.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Easily the Dreamcast

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Xbox 1. By which I obviously mean the first Xbox console.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

GameCube and Wii U, I didn't even own a GameCube but when I got a Wii I got GameCube controllers, memory cards, I went and bought a bunch of the GameCube games in order to play what I missed out on. I got the Metroid Prime games, the entire RE library, Luigi's Mansion, the Mario sports games like soccer, baseball, golf, and tennis games. Smash Bros. Viewtiful Joe. NHL Hitz and NFL Blitz, though dated are still fun to play to this day as there's nothing like it. Only ones I missed out on were RE4 ('cause I had it on PS2), Mario Kart Double Dash, Wind Waker (which I got on Wii U).

Wii U has given me much more fun than I could have expected so far. The gamepad works great, I love off screen play, and to be honest I was probably in the same boat as many who say drop the gamepad and make it cheaper... but since getting it the gamepad has changed my mind about that. The line-up of Nintendo exclusives so far has kept me well entertained. It has a stronger than I expected eShop with a few choice titles, and a good selection of smaller indie games. The Wii U VC though leaves something to be desired, it doesn't have the same support of older consoles and games the WIi had. It bugs me more knowing the Homebrew crowd can get GameCube games running on a Wii U so it boggles me Nintendo won't bring GC games to Wii U. They are horribly slow at getting VC games on the eShop, for instance Nintendo owns rights to Metroid Zero Mission and released it in Japan but a North American eShop release is somehow so goddamn hard for them to do in a timely fashion, which makes me even wonder even more since Metroid was never big in Japan and catered more to westerners. Anyhow, they've lots of good selections in the GBA section, and as I never owned one I'm finding lots of good stuff there.

Original Xbox was about as much of a seller as the GameCube, and I had lots of fun on it, had better ports than its PS2 counterparts but the PS2 had a much richer library. Still, it was great, me and my friends loved playing Halo co-op and local deathmatch for years. Fell in love with Morrowind on Xbox. Panzer Dragoon Orta was by far my favorite Xbox exclusives. It had probably one of the best launch line-ups of any system in existence, with games like Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Amped, Munch's Odyssey, NHL Hitz.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I would say that the Wii U is the most underrated console ever. It's already a far better console than the Wii was yet it doesn't have anywhere close to the same success and it currently has by far the best game library out of the three next gen consoles yet everybody ignores it.

The DreamCast was also very underrated. Sega did everything right with the DreamCast and it getting overshadowed by the PS2 hype train is one of the biggest injustices ever in gaming. The DreamCast was a better console than the PS2 all the way up until the point it was discontinued. The DreamCast was ahead of it's time with things like controller triggers and online gaming while the PS2 didn't really bring anything innovative to the table and was actually behind the times with things like still not having four controller ports. The DreamCast probably has the best overall launch lineup in history and had built an incredibly strong library of games by the time the PS2 launched with a horrible launch lineup. And despite being less powerful, most multiplats of the time looked better on the DreamCast because of how much easier it was to program for the DreamCast than the PS2. And the DreamCast had all of these things going for it at half of the price of the PS2, so why the hell did everybody ignore it for the tech demos Sony was showing?

I'd rank the original Xbox as the 3rd most underrated. Microsoft haters don't like to give it the credit that it deserves for the good things it did for gaming and how much more poweful it was than any other console ever seen up until that time. The multiplats of that generation were always significantly better on Xbox. Microsoft picked up where Sega left off on online gaming, invested heavily in it, and showed everybody the correct way to do online gaming well. It was also the first console to have a hard drive standard, laid the foundation for the modern controller design, started digital distribution on consoles, and was largely responsible for the rise of western gaming on consoles.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#20  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

The first Xbox. Amazing hardware and lots great western games like KOTOR, Halo, Half Life 2, Morrowind, Doom 3, etc

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Dreamcast... fantastic console which I still own & Love

Gamegear - great Handheld

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Easily the Sega Saturn, a point of view solidified by the fact that, even in this thread, few people mentioned it. It's a fantastic console with a great library of games, painted in a grim light because of what a commercial failure it was back then. It has a much larger variety of genres than the N64 and much better arcade ports than the PS1.

@ConanTheStoner said:

**** no man, the Dreamcast is one of the most overrated consoles and only has such a cult following because it was short lived and was Segas last console. Sometimes I wish it would have been a success just so we wouldn't see so many gamers blindly worshiping it.

I'm not a big fan of the Gamecube myself, but it had some heavy hitters for sure and is definitely underrated by most.

I think it's because it had an incredible amount of quality exclusives up until it died. If it retained the exclusives it had during its lifespan, it would absolutely be top 5 material. Stuff like Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue I & II, RE: Code Veronica, Power Stone 1 & 2, Space Channel 5 & Part 2, Phantasy Star Online, Rez and Jet Grind Radio. Then you've got all the arcade ports like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Project Justice: Rival Schools 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, House of the Dead 2, Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram and Ikaruga.

I mean if you don't give a shit about exclusivity the Dreamcast is a legit great console. A ton of great games. The above are games i enjoy today. You notice i didn't mention the sports & Adventure games because those have aged like milk.

If it would have been a success, its exclusives wouldn't have been ported, and the SEGA games on the original Xbox, PS2 & Gamecube (Virtua Fighter series, House of the Dead series, Monkey Ball series, Outrun 2 & Coast2Coast, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF, Gunvalkyrie etc.) would have been on the Dreamcast instead. Plus all those canceled projects like Max Payne and Half Life. Skies the limit from there.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I always found it somewhat odd that people bashed Gamecube for a lack of third party given the amount of exclusive third party support and games from third party it received that were never present on the Xbox. REmake, Resident Evil 2, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4 etc.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#24 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Gamecube, definitely.

I'd say the Wii U is underrated too, but it's still early to tell what other games the console will see that make it memorable.

TuuPumpChump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TuuPumpChump
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

Wii u can't even be considered. Maybe if they would keep up with the times and put a console out with similar power with the competition, granted it did come out a year earlier, but they still should of known a little bit about what this next gen would need. Then they could probably get some third party support and move more consoles. I own a Wii u, so I'm not a complete hater. But other than Mario Kart, and SSB, my son will be the only one using it. But back on topic, I would say original xbox or the Genesis

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#26 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Wii.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Dreamcast, there wasnt a game I played on it that I didnt like.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

don't think you guys know what underrated means

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

PS3

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

sega saturn without a doubt.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Dreamcast is one of the most overrated systems IMO. I'd say turbographics 16 was pretty under rated I never played one and don't know anyone who had one but it sea like it had potential at it's time.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Gamecube and Sega Saturn, and wiiu but I think that will change. But universally I'd say gamecube as Saturn was sort of big in Japan I believe, which is why it is so underrated in the west--or does that make it not underrated since you are buying out of region games? I don't know.

Anyways, Gamecube demolished PS2 in terms of EXTREMELY polished high quality games. Great hardware, four controller ports, quiet, decent video out, and has a gameboy player.

Also nobody seems to remember Vectrex, and also the VIRTUAL BOY is underrated--almost every game on that console is good.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Must be a sega system that's for sure. I'd guess the Dreamcast. Games were awesome. I remember there was one Taxi game that was just a blast... couldn't get tired of replaying it (yeah, tried to avoid obvious mentions like Shenmue).

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

The DreamCast was also very underrated. Sega did everything right with the DreamCast and it getting overshadowed by the PS2 hype train is one of the biggest injustices ever in gaming. The DreamCast was a better console than the PS2 all the way up until the point it was discontinued. The DreamCast was ahead of it's time with things like controller triggers and online gaming while the PS2 didn't really bring anything innovative to the table and was actually behind the times with things like still not having four controller ports. The DreamCast probably has the best overall launch lineup in history and had built an incredibly strong library of games by the time the PS2 launched with a horrible launch lineup. And despite being less powerful, most multiplats of the time looked better on the DreamCast because of how much easier it was to program for the DreamCast than the PS2. And the DreamCast had all of these things going for it at half of the price of the PS2, so why the hell did everybody ignore it for the tech demos Sony was showing?

But I thought the DC only played CD based games while the PS2 had the obvious edge with DVD based games?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#35 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Xbox 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The PSP. It was a great handheld with a couple of great exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I pretty much agree with the consensus here. My top 3 is

1. Sega Dreamcast
2. Nintendo Gamecube
3. Sega Saturn

I still play those 3 from time to time. Great games will always be great games.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

the original xbox. it had soo many good games besides halo/forza/fable. someone way back then actually compiled a list and it had the most AAA scoring exclusives that gen. everyone talks about ps2 and all its dominance but the xbox had a lot of gems

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Don't know if the Vita qualifies

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Which console was severely underrated? I think Dreamcast, only lasting 2 years has the biggest cult following of any "failed" console.

The Dreamcast definitely. I don't think it failed. SEGA couldn't get additional funding or loans to keep the system alive. No, Sony didn't kill it. It went under do to money, not sales. `Also the original XBox had a ton of exclusives and new IP's. It's major issues was Microsoft spent way to much creating the system and was losing a large amount of money for every system sold. Also the controller was way too large. Solid system that just needed more big name 3rd party games and more sales.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I want to say Dreamcast but now that I think of it, all I played on it were NES games and THPS2. Lots of fun with NES games though since there was no disc checking you could just run whatever software you want. Good times. Yeah I'll go with DC.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Floppy_Jim said:

Xbox 1. By which I obviously mean the first Xbox console.

u know, your right it really was underrated. had some AWESOME games.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#46 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I'll say Gamecube, but you can make a case for Wii and Wii U as well. Sure, Wii sold a lot, but a lot of people pass off that system (which had a load of sleeper gems as well as some first and second party masterpieces) as a fad. And while Wii U is gaining credibility as a solid gaming system, it really should be selling more considering the great software.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I think the original xbox was fantastic and ahead of its time.

I was blown away with the fact it hard drive and I could play my music while I play games.

Also some of the games on that console looked fantastic and were good games.

Halo, Riddick, fable, etc etc.

We also got the first taste of good online gaming via a console from the Xbox

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Wii.

Now here's another console that i feel is underrated as hell. Negatively marked because of the fad it embraced, a lot of people look at it as a joke these days; a severely underpowered little system constructed around a gimmick with child friendly games.

A damn shame, because it is undoubtedly a great console housing some of the best games of the 7th generation, and it has the most entertaining control scheme for aiming - seen evident in Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Wii.

Now here's another console that i feel is underrated as hell. Negatively marked because of the fad it embraced, a lot of people look at it as a joke these days; a severely underpowered little system constructed around a gimmick with child friendly games.

A damn shame, because it is undoubtedly a great console housing some of the best games of the 7th generation, and it has the most entertaining control scheme for aiming - seen evident in Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4.

100 million sold is underrated?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Out of what I have, it's easily the Saturn. Play Panzer Dragoon Saga, and then tell me it's not underrated. I dare you.