More useful, Kinect 2 or Touchpad?

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

whats more useful, the kinect 2 or the touched on the ds4? I think the only use ill get out of the touchpad is to browse through maps in games, the kinect will just be used to turn on the console.

#2 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

Wii U Pad's touchscreen

#3 Edited by AtariKidX (6282 posts) -

The touched on the DS4 it is a lot better. kinect sucks.

#4 Posted by lundy86_4 (43515 posts) -

I can't see any serious use of the DS4's touchpad. I have one, and i'm honestly doubting that i'll use it seriously.

#5 Posted by Gatman32 (442 posts) -

MY WIENER!!!

#6 Edited by blackace (20865 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

whats more useful, the kinect 2 or the touched on the ds4? I think the only use ill get out of the touchpad is to browse through maps in games, the kinect will just be used to turn on the console.

Wow, you're making a lot of joke threads today aren't we. Did you see the Redeem DLC Code feature with Kinect yet? LOL!!

http://majornelson.com/2013/11/06/how-fast-is-to-redeem-a-code-on-xbox-one/

That's just scratching the surface of what Kinect is capable of. I'm waiting to Sony to announce every feature Microsoft announces for the Kinect. lol!!

************************************************************************************

@lundy86_4 said:

I can't see any serious use of the DS4's touchpad. I have one, and i'm honestly doubting that i'll use it seriously.

It will get used as much as the Sixaxis did, which mean very minimal usage. Devs will have to prove me wrong, but we'll see.

#7 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

kinect duh... far more options then just swiping left or right.

AC- you use it for the map...

cod- use it to bring up the scoreboard...

killzone- push up to active special power

BF Think they use it to have you open doors...

#8 Edited by remiks00 (1911 posts) -

Kinect 2 is more useful vs a touchpad. Basing off all that we've seen so far.

But to be fair, the whole voice command thing can be done with a headset plugged into the ds4 controller as well. Also, nothing else has been shown for what uses the touchpad is for.

#9 Posted by lundy86_4 (43515 posts) -

@Gatman32 said:

MY WIENER!!!

So long as you don't use it to procreate.

#10 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Probably the DS4's touchpad.

If when plugged into a computer that touchpad could be detected as a HID-compliant mouse, it would be awesome.

#11 Posted by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

@blackace said:

said:

@lundy86_4 said:

It will get used as much as the Sixaxis did, which mean very minimal usage. Devs will have to prove me wrong, but we'll see.

#12 Posted by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

Kinect(lol) is garbage and it saddens me that its mandatory with Xbone. At least touchpad is not.

#13 Edited by Spartan070 (16355 posts) -

Overall usage? The Kinect has infinitely more uses.

Use it to redeem codes in a couple of seconds.

Headtracking confirmed for BF4 Xbox One.

These are just a few of the numerous possibilities that a trackpad can't offer.

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (43515 posts) -

@blackace said:

I expect as much. It's range seems to be rather limited. Mostly, by the lack of ability to display an image.

#15 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Kinect 2.0 in every place other than fanboy wars

#16 Edited by blackace (20865 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Kinect(lol) is garbage and it saddens me that its mandatory with Xbone. At least touchpad is not.

That's your opinion. It's still more useful then the touch pad at this time. It can't do voice commands. It definitely can't navigate a UI as fast as Kinect's voice commands. I could switch to the brower, back to a game and then to Sykpe faster with Kinect then you could get to the movies on demand section with the touchpad. lol!!

#17 Edited by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

That's your opinion. It's still more useful then the touch pad at this time. It can't do voice commands. It definitely can't navigate a UI as fast as Kinect's voice commands. I could switch to the brower, back to a game and then to Sykpe faster with Kinect then you could get to the movies on demand section with the touchpad. lol!!

Well That's your opinion not mine. I couldn't care less about saving seconds(if that) navigating the UI. Kinect(lol) to me is garbage and what is wrong with gaming today. lol!!!

#18 Posted by tdkmillsy (1399 posts) -

@remiks00 said:

Kinect 2 is more useful vs a touchpad. Basing off all that we've seen so far.

But to be fair, the whole voice command thing can be done with a headset plugged into the ds4 controller as well. Also, nothing else has been shown for what uses the touchpad is for.

What about when other people want to communicate with the console, Kinect 2 can recognise 2 people in the same conversation.

#19 Posted by kingtito (5006 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

Well That's your opinion not mine. I couldn't care less about saving seconds(if that) navigating the UI. Kinect(lol) to me is garbage and what is wrong with gaming today. lol!!!

I fail to see how Kinect is what's wrong with gaming today? Lack of innovation and rehashes with ZERO improvment is what's wrong with gaming today.

#20 Posted by tdkmillsy (1399 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

Kinect is a lot more than UI navigation its innovation in many ways. Touchpad is innovative but its uses are limited.

#22 Edited by silversix_ (14781 posts) -

Touchpad worked extremely well on KZ:SF. Kinect is Kinect, no need an explanation.

#23 Edited by kuu2 (7359 posts) -

What can you do with the Ouya like touchpad on the PS4?

#24 Posted by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

@kingtito:

Kinect(lol) games are beyond useless and the voice commands can and have been done in games for many years previous to it. Motion control gaming sucks and I haven't found 1 game that remotely interests me and if I get an Xbone i'll do everything I can to disable/not use/turn it backwards that I can.

Hell I can navigate the 360s UI with my Harmony remote, dont need Kinect(lol) or a 360 controller for it.

#25 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -

Kinect's only feature is taking your graphics from 1080p to 720p. I wouldn't want to have to pay $150 extra for that.

#26 Edited by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

The unobtrusive and unforced control input that will actually work and doesn't force you to get a second job.

#27 Edited by hiphops_savior (7939 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Wii U Pad's touchscreen

That. Between the two, Kinect 2 is far more practical.

#28 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Kinect. It would be great to have a camera load settings for you from your face profile.

#29 Posted by Basinboy (11226 posts) -

Kinect.

It's great for anything but control input for games.

#30 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -

Without a question Kinect 2.

#31 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@senses_fail_06 said:

Kinect's only feature is taking your graphics from 1080p to 720p. I wouldn't want to have to pay $150 extra for that.

Wow. That is funny, true, and sad all in one. A Shakespearian response.

#32 Posted by lundy86_4 (43515 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

...Shakespearian ...

#33 Posted by YD_11 (1850 posts) -

Shouldn't be a difficult question to answer. Kinect is the obvious choice. It has whole games dedicated to it. Multiplat games also utilize it. Voice command and UI navigation. Controlling your TV.

Has anyone seen the Xbox Fitness that is free through the end of 2014? That is awesome too.

#34 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

lol is this a joke? You are going to get more use out of the kinect in the first month than you will out of the touch pad during the entire life of the PS4.

#35 Edited by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

Touchpad uses

-navigating Ui's

-Web Browsing

-In Game things like maps

Kinect

-good for downgrading Xbox games to 720p

-good for fat asses

#36 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

@majesticshea said:

Touchpad uses

-navigating Ui's

-Web Browsing

-In Game things like maps

Kinect

-good for downgrading Xbox games to 720p

-good for fat asses

Since we adding jokes...

touchpad uses:

Nothing. Get a wireless mouse. It's better.

Kinect uses:

letting the NSA know that you are not plotting a terrorist attack.

#37 Edited by kingtito (5006 posts) -

@Heil68:

That still doesn't mean Kinect is what's wrong with gaming. What has Kinect forced on gaming in general? Did it force Sony to change the way they make games? Did it force Nintendo to do anything different considering the Wii was launched before Kinect. You might not like Kinect but that's just your opinion and nothing more. I don't see anything wrong with Kinect and I truly hope devs make good use of it.

#38 Posted by mems_1224 (47230 posts) -

the touchpad looks useless. at least i can scan xbl codes with kinect.

#39 Posted by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Heil68:

That still doesn't mean Kinect is what's wrong with gaming. What has Kinect forced on gaming in general? Did it force Sony to change the way they make games? Did it force Nintendo to do anything different considering the Wii was launched before Kinect. You might not like Kinect but that's just your opinion and nothing more. I don't see anything wrong with Kinect and I truly hope devs make good use of it.

Sure made MS drop core exclusives after 2009 and focus all their energy on that garbage.I would of skipped the 360 had I known that they were going to do that. Even Tom McShea blogged about it, it was and is that bad. 1 fucking retail exclusive game this year for the 360? That's fucking pathetic.

#40 Posted by SpiderLuke (523 posts) -

Try using a laptop without a touchpad or mouse for a day. See how productive things are. Lol, basically what I'm saying is, if devs play their cards right, it could be just as useful as a mouse for menus and text input.

#41 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

More interesting? Kinect 2

More useful? I'm leaning towards touchpad simply b/c I think it'll make RPG menu navigation much better.

#42 Posted by kingtito (5006 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68:

Sure made MS drop core exclusives after 2009 and focus all their energy on that garbage.I would of skipped the 360 had I known that they were going to do that. Even Tom McShea blogged about it, it was and is that bad. 1 fucking retail exclusive game this year for the 360? That's fucking pathetic.

Yeah yeah you keep saying that but I saw a hell of a lot of games that came out between 2009 and 2013 that weren't Kinect. I understand you don't like it but you can stop pretending like what you think is fact. MS knew multiplats were a majority of a games library so they figured all they need to do was pump out Halo, Gears and Forza games. Had nothing to do with Kinect.

#43 Posted by Heil68 (45125 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68:

Yeah yeah you keep saying that but I saw a hell of a lot of games that came out between 2009 and 2013 that weren't Kinect. I understand you don't like it but you can stop pretending like what you think is fact. MS knew multiplats were a majority of a games library so they figured all they need to do was pump out Halo, Gears and Forza games. Had nothing to do with Kinect.

When you buy consoles for exclusives it sure does suck. After Reach in 2010 it was almost a fucking year before the next exclusive came out. Pathetic.

In any event it made me not buy the Xbone at launch, I'm going to wait to see if they are committed to exclusives or just do like last gen drop them and rely on 3rd party.

#44 Posted by kingtito (5006 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68 said:

@kingtito said:

@Heil68:

When you buy consoles for exclusives it sure does suck. After Reach in 2010 it was almost a fucking year before the next exclusive came out. Pathetic.

In any event it made me not buy the Xbone at launch, I'm going to wait to see if they are committed to exclusives or just do like last gen drop them and rely on 3rd party.

I can understand where you're coming from. I'm not purchasing any of the consoles at launch. I'll upgrade my PC before I do that, then down the road get both. I just don't hate Kinect as much as you do.

#45 Edited by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

Maybe we should play them first?

#46 Edited by PSP107 (11904 posts) -

Kinect sucks but touchpad most likely won't bring anything to the table.

For the people who's praising touchpad, how many of you praised Vita's rear touchpad and sixaxis?

Enough with the gimmicks.

#47 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Touch pad. Too bad it won't be used much.

As for voice (w/c shouldn't need Kinect/PS4 Eye) and simpler tracking, I doubt the PS4 Eye won't be satisfactory to most people.

Touch pad could essentially be used as for a set of hot slots (skill/item bar [MMO type/ think Dragon Age]) with gestures. No need to shout "Stone Armor" or go to skill wheels.

#48 Posted by remiks00 (1911 posts) -

@j2zon2591 said:

Touch pad. Too bad it won't be used much.

As for voice (w/c shouldn't need Kinect/PS4 Eye) and simpler tracking, I doubt the PS4 Eye won't be satisfactory to most people.

Touch pad could essentially be used as for a set of hot slots (skill/item bar [MMO type/ think Dragon Age]) with gestures. No need to shout "Stone Armor" or go to skill wheels.

Wow, thats actually a great idea. Hopefully that will be implemented

#49 Edited by hippiesanta (9884 posts) -

kinect could detect your heartbeat and can tell you when to stop gaming and take some rest ....

or else http://says.com/my/news/23-year-old-computer-game-addict-dies-after-playing-non-stop-for-15-hours

the victim's body below .... you don't have to click if you feel like u don't want too.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p480x480/1425629_657526647603637_1442553606_n.jpg

#50 Edited by getyeryayasout (7598 posts) -

The touchpad can be clucked like a button. That automatically makes it more practical for use with video games.