More playing Minecraft XBLA than MW3 & Fifa Update learn 2 play MC in schoo

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SecretPolice (22243 posts) -

Surprising or to be expected ?

Me not surprised. :P

Is Minecraft a 360/PC exclusive? :o :twisted:

Anyway, thoughts ?

The Story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-more-people-are-playing-minecraft-on-xbla-than-modern-warfare-3-or-fifa-13

More people are playing Minecraft on Xbox Live Arcade than Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 or FIFA 13.

Microsoft Live activity chart for the week of 15th October shows Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition at the top for the first time, ahead of gargantuan retail games Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and FIFA 13. Call of Duty games have been at the top of the chart for much of the past four years.

It is yet another milestone for Minecraft. In early October developer 4J Studios revealed it had sold over four million copies. It is the best-selling XBLA game ever.

Other games Minecraft is more popular than on XBLA: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Borderlands 2, Halo: Reach, Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Microsoft's Live Activity chart is based on unique users - that is, game playing while connected to Xbox Live.

• 1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  • 2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  • 3. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
  • 4. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • 5. Borderlands 2
  • 6. Halo: Reach
  • 7. Battlefield 3
  • 8. Modern Warfare 2
  • 9. Madden NFL 13
  • 10. NBA 2K13
  • 11. Happy Wars
  • 12. Skyrim
  • 13. Gears of War 3
  • 14. RESIDENT EVIL 6
  • 15. GTA IV
  • 16. FIFA 12
  • 17. Forza Motorsport 4
  • 18. Dishonored
  • 19. EA SPORTS NHL13
  • 20. Halo 3

As you'd expect, Minecraft is the top Arcade title, ahead of The Walking Dead, Sonic Adventure 2 and Trials Evolution.

EDIT: Bonus Round.....

Learn to Play: Minecraft in the classroom

<:article>

By Jeffrey Matulef Published 26 October, 2012

<:section>

Imagine being eight years old today. You pack your bag, hop on a bus, act like your crush has cooties and go through lessons on history, English, maths, science, and... Minecraft?

That's the reality for about 200,000 kids today who have Minecraft in their schools as part of the curriculum.

Educational software is nothing new, but most "edutainment" (I reckon there's no dirtier word in the gaming vernacular) games were traditional curriculum wearing the guise of a video game as convincingly as Superman posing as a journalist by wearing glasses.

These days that's changed. There's no longer a barrier between education and fun when big games by popular developers are being used to teach our children.

'I think playing Minecraft kind of taps into the same part of the brain as playing with Legos and I don't think anybody disputes the educational value of Legos.' - Joel Levin

It all started when then 35 year old New York-based computer teacher Joel Levin began playing the Minecraft alpha in the summer of 2010. Instantly he was enamoured with the open-world game's emphasis on creativity, problem solving, building and discovery. He then showed it to his four year old daughter, who caught on to Notch's indie phenomenon shockingly fast

Full read Here....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-25-minecraft-learn-to-play

#2 Posted by Litchie (16381 posts) -
Glad to hear the better game is being played more.
#3 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

OCD is a serious condition and should not be left untreated.

#4 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.
#5 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -
So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.lowe0
Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's. Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?
#6 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Well deserved.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (41035 posts) -
Pretty sure Creative Mode gave the extra boost.
#8 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
already a thread. Also..watch it drop when blops2/halo4 release
#9 Posted by SecretPolice (22243 posts) -

OCD is a serious condition and should not be left untreated.

KiZZo1

For some strange reason that just makes me say... Just WoW :o :twisted:

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8217 posts) -

Modern Warfare 3 sucks, so it's a damn good thing to see something else at the top spot.

#11 Posted by SecretPolice (22243 posts) -

already a thread. Also..watch it drop when blops2/halo4 releasecampzor
I looked before posting and didn't see - link me just for the heck of it. :P

On the rest of your post, I agree, those games will no doubt early on be on top.

#12 Posted by PAL360 (26942 posts) -

Good to know! Minecraft is one of the most interesting and unique games this gen.

#13 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

Good to see that you lemmys are enjoying some PC gaming goodness. :P

[spoiler] even if it´s the kinda sorta poopy version >.> [/spoiler]

#14 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"]So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.blue_hazy_basic
Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's. Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?

You've seriously never seen it said that console gamers just buy Call of Duty every year instead of looking beyond what's marketed on the back of their Mountain Dew and Doritos?
#15 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="lowe0"]So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.lowe0

You've seriously never seen it said that console gamers just buy Call of Duty every year instead of looking beyond what's marketed on the back of their Mountain Dew and Doritos?

No, who says that?
#16 Posted by PAL360 (26942 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="lowe0"]So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.lowe0

That's just a hater myth. Most games, from Skyrim to Trials Evolution, Mass Effect, Gears, Fifa, Dance Central, RDR, etc, sell alot on 360.

#17 Posted by SecretPolice (22243 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"]So much for the ridiculous notion that console gamers refuse to embrace new IPs.blue_hazy_basic

It's a new, console exclusive IP. :shock:

Of course I kid... :P

#18 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

Im one of them I love minecraft 360 and the 1.8.2 update makes it even better.

#19 Posted by DarthClark (460 posts) -
I find it hilarious that Halo Reach is at 6 and even Halo 3 at 20 are still some of the most played games on xbox when cows have been going on and on about how Halo is a dieing franchise and nobody they know even cares about 4.
#20 Posted by olart4618 (407 posts) -

well deserved, is a really nice game

#21 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's. Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?

No, who says that?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29230855/survey-finds-that-console-gamers-arent-interested-in-new-games?page=0 There's a thread on console gamers not buying new IPs. As for the idea that we only do what marketing tells us, again, I ask if you've never seen "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"?
#22 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I saw such comments only as the replies to statements like "only revenue in PC gaming comes from "Facebook" games"...

Another day, another Lowe crusade... ;)

#23 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's. Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?Rocker6

I saw such comments only as the replies to statements like "only revenue in PC gaming comes from "Facebook" games"...

By all means, then, criticize those posters for it.
#24 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Minecraft on 360 is pretty limited. It's a shame.

#25 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] You've seriously never seen it said that console gamers just buy Call of Duty every year instead of looking beyond what's marketed on the back of their Mountain Dew and Doritos?lowe0

By all means, then, criticize those posters for it.

WilliamBaker (beard guy), is the one who does it most regularly. Too bad he has me adblock'd, so can't criticize him... :(

But I do go after the other ones who spew that crap, when I'm in the mood... :)

#26 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]
Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's.

Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?lowe0

No, who says that?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29230855/survey-finds-that-console-gamers-arent-interested-in-new-games?page=0

There's a thread on console gamers not buying new IPs. As for the idea that we only do what marketing tells us, again, I ask if you've never seen "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"?

Yea still not seeing that anywhere in there ... this is what the OP in that says:

"A new survey found that console players prefer to spend their money on popular franchises? sequels and licensed games than on new IPs (intellectual properties).

The survey was performed by Nielsen media research group. The group surveyed 4,800 players between 7 and 54 years old to come to the conclusion that the most anticipated titles across the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii were Halo 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Just Dance 4, respectively.

Of the 45 top anticipated titles across the three consoles (15 for each one), only two Wii games were not sequels or based on a licensed property: The Last Story, and Everyone Sing."

So alot consoler's causing big developers to rehash and rehash the same crap because they know it works and its safe and quick and cheap money makers.

Where in there does it say "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"? It says that the most anticipated titles were shocker the most popular sellers. Obviously most people will know about established franchises.

#27 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42983 posts) -
That's quite good and well deserved for an amazing XBLA game.
#28 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -
i'll have to cave and try this game
#29 Posted by freedomfreak (41035 posts) -
i'll have to cave and try this gamests106mat
Do it. It has splitscreen. Your boy might like it, or the missus.
#30 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

That's because Minecraft is awesome and one of the best games to come out of this generation.

#31 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]
No, who says that?blue_hazy_basic

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29230855/survey-finds-that-console-gamers-arent-interested-in-new-games?page=0

There's a thread on console gamers not buying new IPs. As for the idea that we only do what marketing tells us, again, I ask if you've never seen "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"?

Yea still not seeing that anywhere in there ... this is what the OP in that says:

"A new survey found that console players prefer to spend their money on popular franchises? sequels and licensed games than on new IPs (intellectual properties).

The survey was performed by Nielsen media research group. The group surveyed 4,800 players between 7 and 54 years old to come to the conclusion that the most anticipated titles across the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii were Halo 4, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Just Dance 4, respectively.

Of the 45 top anticipated titles across the three consoles (15 for each one), only two Wii games were not sequels or based on a licensed property: The Last Story, and Everyone Sing."

So alot consoler's causing big developers to rehash and rehash the same crap because they know it works and its safe and quick and cheap money makers.

Where in there does it say "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"? It says that the most anticipated titles were shocker the most popular sellers. Obviously most people will know about established franchises.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28772355/cthulhu-saves-the-world-dev-5-days-on-steam-more-money-than-18-months-on-xblig?page=0 This is tricky to research on just my phone, but here's another good example, specifically containing the part about console ganers only buying what's advertised. Since "advertising" appears at the top of every page, I'm having to be more creative in my use of Google and it's taking longer.
#32 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29230855/survey-finds-that-console-gamers-arent-interested-in-new-games?page=0

There's a thread on console gamers not buying new IPs. As for the idea that we only do what marketing tells us, again, I ask if you've never seen "console gamers only play CoD and Madden"?lowe0

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28772355/cthulhu-saves-the-world-dev-5-days-on-steam-more-money-than-18-months-on-xblig?page=0 This is tricky to research on just my phone, but here's another good example, specifically containing the part about console ganers only buying what's advertised. Since "advertising" appears at the top of every page, I'm having to be more creative in my use of Google and it's taking longer.

What do you mean ANOTHER example? :lol:

EDIT OMG did you really use a post from July 2011? hahaha

You say criticise those posters when anyone else uses examples (which are more WAY frequent and actually recent) and yet you fail to apply your own standards to yourself, funny that!

#33 Posted by sts106mat (19857 posts) -
[QUOTE="sts106mat"]i'll have to cave and try this gamefreedomfreak
Do it. It has splitscreen. Your boy might like it, or the missus.

he's been mythering as his friends play it, I don't want anything to distract me from halo 4. Made that mistake last year with skyrim, looked forward yo it all year then got distracted by assassins creed. Not happening this time.
#34 Posted by MonsieurX (30484 posts) -
I find it hilarious that Halo Reach is at 6 and even Halo 3 at 20 are still some of the most played games on xbox when cows have been going on and on about how Halo is a dieing franchise and nobody they know even cares about 4.DarthClark
Not surprising,that's all they have to play Halo and Forza
#35 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

blue_hazy_basic

You say criticise those posters when anyone else uses examples (which are more WAY frequent and actually recent) and yet you fail to apply your own standards to yourself, funny that!

So? What's changed in a year that makes that thread an invalid example?
#36 Posted by psn8214 (14925 posts) -

lol@ Minecraft on 360. No one has any excuse not to play that on PC. It's not like it's hard to run.

#37 Posted by darkspineslayer (19817 posts) -

Good to see that you lemmys are enjoying some PC gaming goodness. :P

[spoiler] even if it´s the kinda sorta poopy version >.> [/spoiler]

Arach666
Pretty sure the iPhone version is the poopy version, even if its becoming more like mine craft with each update.
#38 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -
Bu....bu.....but I thought that lems, such as myself, only play mindless dudebro games like COD and Halo.
#39 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42983 posts) -

lol@ Minecraft on 360. No one has any excuse not to play that on PC. It's not like it's hard to run.

psn8214

360 version is actually quite good. The Xbox 360 version is quite better when it comes to ease of connectivity, ease of use, crafting, and the glorious split screen which my fiance very much enjoys.

#40 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"]http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28772355/cthulhu-saves-the-world-dev-5-days-on-steam-more-money-than-18-months-on-xblig?page=0 This is tricky to research on just my phone, but here's another good example, specifically containing the part about console ganers only buying what's advertised. Since "advertising" appears at the top of every page, I'm having to be more creative in my use of Google and it's taking longer.lowe0

So? What's changed in a year that makes that thread an invalid example?

Well the fact you're only examples are: 1) not accurate 2) a single example from a year and a half ago, lends little credence to support what you say. Again, why can you use isolated single examples which aren't recent, but dismiss others who provide plentiful examples of immediate relevance? Or why do say, in this very thread and I'll quote you, "By all means, then, criticize those posters for it." as a standard reply for those pointing out common consolite slurs and misconceptions but you yourself find obscure comments to justify your points?
#41 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"] Huh, never really seen said that anywhere, but I do see them crying out for new IP's. Plus is minecraft a new IP if its been on the PC for a few years?

No, who says that?

SNIPER?
#42 Posted by jessejay420 (3845 posts) -
WoW! GTAIV is still on the List. Love that Game.
#43 Posted by PAL360 (26942 posts) -

psn8214

Hmm....not necessarily! Me and my girlfriend have been playing in splitscreen for over 100 hours. Despite being on the PC, it´s an awesome console game!

#44 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Why would you want to play Minecraft on the 360 when the real version is on the PC? Lems low standards confirmed.
#45 Posted by PAL360 (26942 posts) -

Why would you want to play Minecraft on the 360 when the real version is on the PC? Lems low standards confirmed.kuraimen

Why would you want to play PS3 when all good games are on 360 and PC?

#46 Posted by Lucianu (9452 posts) -

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

Stevo_the_gamer

360 version is actually quite good. The Xbox 360 version is quite better when it comes to ease of connectivity, ease of use, crafting, and the glorious split screen which my fiance very much enjoys.

Well, it's not like people are devoid of the internet. Takes a few seconds to alt-tab and check craft recipes. But overall, the amount of limitless content, some of such creativity that makes my brain cease to function if i even attempt to think how they could have come up, makes the console version irrelevant and dramatically gimped, except for one feature.

Hell, there's even a fully realised Legend of Zelda world filled with specific dungeons to explore, traps to stay away from, loot to uncover, monsters to obliterate and quests to solve, and this is mearly one example out of hundreats. Let alone the countless graphic mods, from realistic to cartoony.

That one feature i was talking about is the split screen, which very much is, as you said, glorious. There's a mod to implement splitscreen for the PC version, but that is a genuine hassle and definitely not the same thing. Splitscreen really makes up for everything it lacks. It's a different, and much more entertaining experience playing beside a friend, than online.

#47 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Why would you want to play Minecraft on the 360 when the real version is on the PC? Lems low standards confirmed.PAL360

Why would you want to play PS3 when all good games are on 360 and PC?

garycoleman-wtf.gif

Next time please make sense.

#48 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

I find it hilarious that Halo Reach is at 6 and even Halo 3 at 20 are still some of the most played games on xbox when cows have been going on and on about how Halo is a dieing franchise and nobody they know even cares about 4.DarthClark
who says this?

#49 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Why would you want to play Minecraft on the 360 when the real version is on the PC? Lems low standards confirmed.PAL360

Why would you want to play PS3 when all good games are on PC?

fixed

#50 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

Meanwhile Call of Duty is still the PS3's most-played game, and we all know how much the cows love to bash 360 fans for only playing shooters.