Moral of the Story: Don't Put Screens In Your Controllers

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

Every time a company decides to put a screen in its console's controller, the console fails, and ends up doing irrevocable damage to the company, no matter how many great games the company puts on the system. It happened to Dreamcast, and now we are seeing it happen to the Wii U.

As the Wii U puts Nintendo on a fast track towards a third party future, I think one think is clear: companies should not put screens on their console's controllers. They just shouldn't. It's bad joojoo.

#2 Edited by BadNewsBarrage (42 posts) -

It's just a horrible gimmick this time around. The Wii found success with millions of non-gamers because of its motion control gimmick, not its games.

#3 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8737 posts) -

#4 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

The Dreamcast controller didn't have a screen actually. The memory GPU did.

#5 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

Memory unit, called the VMU, which went into the controller.

#6 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9594 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Wonder why I thought it was GPU.

I don't think they're really comparable though. One's for memory storage, and the other for game play.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

Wonder why I thought it was GPU.

I don't think they're really comparable though. One's for memory storage, and the other for game play.

Well, the thread is me being facetious (correlation=/=causation), but VMU was also for gameplay in addition to storage.

#8 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17161 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

It wasn't an integral part of the experience. I have some DC memory cards that have no screens.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

It wasn't an integral part of the experience. I have some DC memory cards that had no screens.

Guys, way to ruin the joke -_-

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (88337 posts) -

Sooo... one example that isn't actually related to why the console itself failed (Sega didn't have enough focus or money to keep it afloat, the VMU's were actually a very neat innovation and were underutilized).

Char, you should go back to serious threads. You don't have joke trolls in you.

#11 Edited by Vaasman (11427 posts) -

Well yea, the entire idea of a screen on the controller is stupid. I mean it's one thing when it's a DS and the screens are literally right on top of each other, but for a console? What am I supposed to do, hold the controller up at all times while playing? Bad bad bad.

Actually come to think of it, I think the only controller that doesn't have some kind of screen in the xbox one's. Even the Steambox controller has one. Guess we know who's winning the gen.

#12 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

Wii U is failing because it's Wii 2.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

No, if it was Wii 2, it'd be fine. It's failing because it's Wii U, and it's the antithesis of a Wii.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (88337 posts) -
@Joedgabe said:

If it were Wii 2, it would be printing money already.

Sometimes I wonder if people use their brains before throwing out criticism.

#15 Posted by M8ingSeezun (2003 posts) -

A lot had to due with distrusting Sega and it's horrible history after Genesis, not because of a tiny VMU.

Nintendo has always been, even to this day, a better position than Sega. WiiU may not be selling well, but they have a spine with 3DS/top 1st party exclusives and a shit load of cash right now.

#16 Edited by schu (9276 posts) -

The screen on the controller is one of the few things that I like about the Wii U.

What kills it is that the software lags behind in modern features in my opinion. As someone who actually owns one, the tablet controller has a lot of utility and makes the system more enjoyable to use. The software is god awful and lacks obvious features and that is the problem hands down.

#17 Edited by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:
@Joedgabe said:

Maybe i was thinking that people that already owned a Wii before ( which was quite a lot ) don't feel like buying another "Wii" type console. Everyone I know that has played and owned a Wii doesn't want a Wii U because they don't wanna have another "Wii" type console lying around with no good games to play. I would blame myself for not explaining myself but then you had to add in the brain part without even trying to figure out what someone had said. You're not very bright like you think you are green ranger. You know? 1 + 1 = 2.

#18 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

No, if it was Wii 2, it'd be fine. It's failing because it's Wii U, and it's the antithesis of a Wii.

Too many people that bought the Wii saw it as a mistake, a lot of people seem to over see this. The Wii sold over 100 million units yet the software sales wasn't good at all outside of nintendo games.

#19 Edited by handssss (1836 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

the wii was only ever going to happen one time. it was a success because it was something new and tablets werent around yet. unless the wii u was going to have occulus rift VR, i doubt there's any gimmick that could have saved it. in terms of games, they are both in the same both. Criminally underpowered hardware lacking 3rd party titles, but having great first party games for those who actually have the patience to wait for Nintendo to take their time to release one of their big hitters.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

Too many people that bought the Wii saw it as a mistake, a lot of people seem to over see this. The Wii sold over 100 million units yet the software sales wasn't good at all outside of nintendo games.

Most of the people who bought the Wii didn't care about first party games or third party games or anything. They saw a simple console with fun games, so they bought it. If Wii U had been that, that audience would have bought Wii U too. But it wasn't, so they didn't.

#21 Posted by Pray_to_me (2846 posts) -

the real moral of the story is not to produce a console that's weaker than the consoles that came out 7 years earlier and expect lightning to strike twice.

#22 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@charizard1605 said

every time a company decides to put a screen in its console's controller, the console fails,

DC is a mem cars that is external not a scree in the controler.

Also Atari had a LCD display in a liited controller for the 2600 and so did Mattel.

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (57679 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said

every time a company decides to put a screen in its console's controller, the console fails,

Also Atari had a LCD display in a liited controller for the 2600 and so did Mattel.

And where are Atari and Mattel today? EXACTLY.

#24 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Joedgabe said:

Most of the people who bought the Wii didn't care about first party games or third party games or anything. They saw a simple console with fun games, so they bought it. If Wii U had been that, that audience would have bought Wii U too. But it wasn't, so they didn't.

The thing is that the Wii Sold so many units it's a really well known console from last generation. The thing that follows is reception. Do you see the Wii having a positive reception around you? because around me it's severely bad. None of the people i know that plays video games have a positive reception of the Wii so because of that they're not willing to buy a Wii U. Now i do have a neutral, a friend who says he only got the Wii to play SMB because he's a SMB fan. However he says if he gets a Wii U it'll only be for Super Smash and the new Zelda, so he's not willing to pay 350 dollars for the console he says he'll get it when it drops a lot lower because he's not gonna use it much besides those.

#25 Edited by 2mrw (4986 posts) -

It's really a shame ... they had a real chance but they blew it.

#26 Edited by DarkGamer007 (6030 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@charizard1605 said

And where are Atari and Mattel today? EXACTLY.

#27 Posted by lamprey263 (23921 posts) -

I think the Wii U controller is a nice feature for the system, I like it for controlling my Netflix and I like it's TV control feature, and many times when I'm playing games I like to just sit back and relax and play off the controller screen than on the TV.

Though it brings with it a gimmicky appeal that most people won't be too interested in at glance, coupled with the Wii Us lackluster launch and lack of first and third party support it suffered greatly, and its dry spell and low sales were the subject of ridicule for too many months and it really hurt their brand name, not to mention it had the price working against it and the release of the PS4 and X1 going against it.

But, the console is finally beginning to show some promise despite all this, not necessarily selling good but things could be a lot worse, fingers crossed it's able to at least pull of a respectable or redeeming position in through the next generation of consoles.

#28 Posted by mems_1224 (47139 posts) -

f*** off. the vmu was awesome

#29 Posted by jg4xchamp (48121 posts) -

Dreamcast was hype.

WiiU is the opposite of hype.

#30 Edited by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

Microsoft partially copied Dreamcast and Nintendo partially copied Dreamcast. Dreamcast was original in all aspects. Sony on the other hand is doing their own thing which is good and risky but so far is working. Microsoft lost focus after the original Xbox and it's been down hill from there. Yeah Xbox One is fun to play but that will be short lived.

#31 Edited by Jag85 (4484 posts) -

The difference is that Nintendo has the hugely successful 3DS handheld to offset whatever losses it makes with the Wii U.

On the other hand, the only thing Sega had to offset its losses with the Dreamcast was the declining arcade market.

Anyway, the Wii U will probably be just another GameCube, which mostly relied on strong first-party software and had the GBA to offset its financial shortfalls.

#32 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

In the Wii Us case, it's simply because Nintendo opted to not listen to 3rd party devs, or their customers, and they chose to be oblivious to market trends for some reason.

Sega Dreamcast's failing was simply Sega screwing up in the past, then not having money, and then EA left them, and then the PS2 had a DVD player. The VMU is actually probably what gave them 10 million sales.

#33 Edited by getyeryayasout (7499 posts) -

Just to be safe I'm going to smash the screen on my phone. Can't be too careful about these things.

#34 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22129 posts) -

I find the wii u controller intriguing actually. Not because what it can bring to video games but mainly of the off screen gaming. Wish I own one so I can play games while my mom use's the tv

#35 Posted by finalstar2007 (25189 posts) -

The WiiU just needs to completely remove that sh*tty tablet and add a normal controller then cut the price to $100.

do that and it will sell well heck i'll even buy one.

#36 Posted by hiphops_savior (7910 posts) -

@finalstar2007: the tablet controller is one of the best things the Wii U has to offer. Even if they did as you suggested, and turn it into x86, 3rd party will still not jump on it.

Nintendos future right now lies with indies, and Sony took note of that. Japan as a console market is dead, Microsoft is dominating NA and sony rules Europe.

Oh, and playing on Gamepad in the washroom>>>peeing in a bottle.

#37 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I really need to stop coming here

#38 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25357 posts) -

@badnewsbarrage said:

It's just a horrible gimmick this time around. The Wii found success with millions of

non-gamers

because of its motion control gimmick, not its games.

Or maybe because a lot of casuals thought it was just another Addon like WiiFit that was optional for your Wii. I sure thought it was at first.

@foxhound_fox said:
@Joedgabe said:

Heck no, the fact the Wii name is in it is what kills the system because a lot of "gamers" hate the Wii so much anything associated with the name turns them away.

#39 Posted by BattleSpectre (6128 posts) -

Nintendo were arrogant thinking they could get away with it twice. Sure the Wii was successful but not enough thought went into the Wii U, and that's obviously showing.

#40 Posted by kuu2 (7330 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

It wasn't an integral part of the experience. I have some DC memory cards that had no screens.

Guys, way to ruin the joke -_-

You should know better.

#41 Posted by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

I don't think Dreamcast actually failed. It was SEGA that failed it.

#42 Edited by Desmonic (14066 posts) -

If the WiiU manages to be as awesome as the DC was, then for us gamers that's a great thing :) Shame the hardware and software sales are terrible. I guess Nintendo made too many mistakes to get rid of the "no games/ not next gen/ gimmick/ Wii accessory" stigma even when the price and the games are appealing :S

#43 Edited by rogelio22 (2368 posts) -

I jus bought a wiiu yesterday with nsmbu, nslu, monster hunter 3, tekken tag2 and mario 3d world... and I really like the tablet controller jus wish I could go further away from the console durin remote play

#44 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6569 posts) -

More like if youre gonna put a screen in the controller do something fun with it and allow multiple ones. Makes no sense for there to be one pad per system

#45 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17641 posts) -

You know? Playing the whole game on my lap with the Wii U pad is such a cool feature. Haters be damned. Netflix on the TV...WIndwaker on my game pad. What a life.

#46 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27761 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity said:

Love.

#47 Edited by Heil68 (44508 posts) -

The DC was the death of Sega hardware, the WiiU wont be for Nintendo.

#48 Posted by lhughey (4235 posts) -

The problem with the WiiU is that so many casuals say "I already have a game system that I rarely play, why do i need another". That's what happens when you build your product around flaky customers who only buy it because its "the thing to buy". They have no real appreciation for gaming, and once they do it once, its outta their system.

#49 Posted by Rovelius (3057 posts) -

:( dem you

#50 Edited by dotWithShoes (4842 posts) -

@badnewsbarrage said:

It's just a horrible gimmick this time around. The Wii found success with millions of

non-gamers

because of its motion control gimmick, not its games.

What is a Non-Gamer?