Monolith Soft "X" gameplay

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6256 posts) -

Looks even better than Xenoblade.

#2 Edited by istreakforfood (7781 posts) -

Cool. As long as the story is enticing I'm in.

#3 Posted by trugs26 (5954 posts) -

I wished they showed more vertical movement of the mech during battle. That'd be epic. Flying around battling enemies.

#4 Edited by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

So is this game confirmed to have online yet? It's been all rumors as far as I know. Nintendo would be foolish if it doesn't it's a perfect game for it.

I'm really looking forward to this game, This can give me my phantasy star online fix.

#5 Edited by CrashNBurn281 (451 posts) -

I would have to learn more about this title before I pass judgment. Do not really know what the game is about, and I do not speak Japanese.

#6 Posted by blamix99 (2575 posts) -

Damn this game is so badass, i hope it comes out this year

#7 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26898 posts) -

Gameplay looks alot like xenoblade wiitch is a good thing since thats one of the things I actually liked from the game.

#8 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

Combat looks pretty boring. As far as I could tell the enemies never even bothered to attack the player.

Also it doesn't look very good when the player starts swinging his sword and damaging the enemy while standing way too far away for it to even remotely connect.

#9 Posted by Snugenz (12801 posts) -

Really really want.

#10 Posted by silversix_ (16225 posts) -

Looked good and i'd play it or at least try. Still no confirmation for release date. if its for end of 2014 be ready for this thing to be pushed to mid 2015.

#11 Posted by Legend500 (149 posts) -

Why is there some guy signing in the battle music at the end? Sounds terrible. Don't think that this will have a scratch on the amazing soundtrack Xenoblade had. Still looks amazing though.

#12 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3809 posts) -

This looks real good. I want it.

#13 Posted by yokofox33 (30355 posts) -

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wasn't blown away by this gameplay. Perhaps actually playing it and experiencing it would be better, but it didn't seem like anything special.

I'm still eagerly waiting for the game though. I'm sure it's gonna be great.

#14 Posted by Sushiglutton (5539 posts) -

It's mindblowing to me that anyone can look at that footage and find it appealing. It looks dreadful in every way possible imo.

#15 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28081 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

It's mindblowing to me that anyone can look at that footage and find it appealing. It looks dreadful in every way possible imo.

Opinions? What is... wait a minute.

#16 Edited by iambatman7986 (833 posts) -

This is one of the reasons I own my Wii U. Game looks fantastic. Definitely looks to have that XC feel to it.

#17 Posted by 2Chalupas (5329 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

Looks great for a last gen JRPG.

However if this was a new game for PS4/Xbox1/PC - I agree it would look subpar and terribly dated - and probably not all that fun to play.

#18 Posted by 2Chalupas (5329 posts) -

@yokofox33 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wasn't blown away by this gameplay. Perhaps actually playing it and experiencing it would be better, but it didn't seem like anything special.

I'm still eagerly waiting for the game though. I'm sure it's gonna be great.

That's probably because it has the look and technical quality of Final Fanstasy XIII trilogy.

How can that possibly be "mindblowing" to anyone in 2014?

That being said, since we haven't seen too many (or any?) "next gen" JRPG on other platforms - for those just looking specifically for JRPG's - this one is probably worth playing when it comes out.

#19 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7578 posts) -

I had a bit of hype for this game initially, but it's pretty much evaporated now.

I'll still probably play it since 1. It's a JRPG that doesn't look like shit and 2. It's from the makers of Xenoblade... just not really excited for it though.

#21 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

I think the reason why many people don't like the battle system is because it looks like an Action RPG beat em up, when it's not the case. It's a MMO style gameplay where your auto attacks matter (unlike FFXIVARR). I don't know why MMOs have a stereotype for their gameplay, it's solid. And Xenoblade Chronicles added its own twists such as break and topple mechanic, tension, chain attacks, and the party gauge.

#22 Posted by Human-after-all (2969 posts) -

Looks like a shitty MMO from Korea. Except instead of grinding online with other people around, you just play with yourself...sounds like *yawn*.

#23 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@Human-after-all: troll alert!! How can I tell? Because it does have online play.

#24 Posted by Sushiglutton (5539 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Opinions? What is... wait a minute.

Yes ofc and like I said I find other peoples opinion on this game very hard to undrerstand.

@2Chalupas said:

@Sushiglutton said:

Looks great for a last gen JRPG.

However if this was a new game for PS4/Xbox1/PC - I agree it would look subpar and terribly dated - and probably not all that fun to play.

It's not just the graphics, it's everything. Numbers popping up everywhere, constant screaming, QTE's, terrible enemy AI, dull artstyle. It would be torture to play this game for more than a few minutes.

#25 Posted by Zassimick (7160 posts) -

I've got a lot of work to do; once I finish a couple more games in my backlog I'm finally going focus my efforts on Xenoblade. Really looking forward to when I can.

And X is looking great! I'm hoping for a great soundtrack, solid gameplay and a good story.

#26 Edited by Human-after-all (2969 posts) -

@bbkkristian:

@bbkkristian said:

@Human-after-all: troll alert!! How can I tell? Because it does have online play.

Ok it has co-op, OOPS. The game play still looks about as dull as MMO game play. That really bland and slow wait for cool downs to pop sorta game play. And just run around grinding monsters. Sounds like a blast.

#27 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@Human-after-all: lol guess you don't like turn based RPGs either. You have to have button mashing Action games to keep your interest? Lol ok, Bayonetta 2 is that way >>>>>, get out.

#28 Posted by finalstar2007 (25995 posts) -

While it does look fun and has similar feeling to FF14 ( like an MMO ) i dont see anything else interesting about it, all they showed us is just constantly attack mashing.. how about a story trailer? show some characters we know how the game plays its like the same stuff from last year they are showing all over again.

#29 Edited by Human-after-all (2969 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@Human-after-all: lol guess you don't like turn based RPGs either. You have to have button mashing Action games to keep your interest? Lol ok, Bayonetta 2 is that way >>>>>, get out.

I don't mind turn based if they are visually stimulating and there's some strategy involved but this looks like shit. So far Mario Kart looks to be the best. Maybe this game turns out awesome but from the initial video to this, completely underwhelming. Maybe they need to make a better video is all.

This also doesn't strike me as turn based and more of real time / turn based combo. Fuck the animals don't even move around, they just sit there lifeless.

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

It looks great, but we already know that, I wish they would show us a story trailer, along with a final name and release date, already.

@finalstar2007 said:

While it does look fun and has similar feeling to FF14 ( like an MMO ) i dont see anything else interesting about it, all they showed us is just constantly attack mashing.. how about a story trailer? show some characters we know how the game plays its like the same stuff from last year they are showing all over again.

This, basically. Can't believe I am agreeing with finalstar :p

#31 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

AI looks terrible where is the hype coming from?

#32 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@Human-after-all: You must have not seen the previous trailers and played Xenoblade a chronicles and for that I must halt our argument and your insolence here.

#33 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@charizard1605: I've heard rumors that it may take place on Earth due to what the characters were saying. And if you have beaten Xenoblade Chronicles, it's not too far from far-fetched.

#34 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

Stand at a safe range while shooting at an enemy that poses no real threat, then hop into a mech and do the same thing against a much larger enemy. Is combat not the main draw of this game?

Edit: Why would you ever not use your mech? Energy limits, exp. bonus? On-foot combat seems, rather, pointless. I'd imagine dispatching smaller enemies at a quicker rate via your mech would be preferable to fighting them on-foot. Especially, over the course of 100+ hours of gameplay.

#35 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983: proof you didn't play Xenoblade.

#36 Posted by EndlessInfinity (231 posts) -

They need to improve that AI

#37 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8459 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

TBF, GB's Xenoblade quicklook is the first time I ever fell asleep during one of their videos. Tried to get my feet wet with the game on dolphin, but stopped after a bit a research. In addition to the MMO-like gameplay it is also filled with hundreds mindnumbingly boring sidequests. Game wan't for me, but that doesn't mean that their next title wouldn't be either. Seems like nothing has changed, so I'll dock this from my games to play on wii-u list.

#38 Edited by cainetao11 (19554 posts) -

Wtf? I can see that late night on cinemax.

#39 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8172 posts) -

X looks badass. Xenoblade with mechs and more guns. I wonder if the voice acting is going to be any better than the first. Xenoblade's story and gameplay are excellent, but that voice acting made me cringe.

#40 Posted by lamprey263 (25614 posts) -

looks pretty dull, I mean the video just shoes an epic battle of fighting a giant ugly ape and then a mech sized giant ugly ape and that's pretty much it

#41 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

@bbkkristian said:

TBF, GB's Xenoblade quicklook is the first time I ever fell asleep during one of their videos. Tried to get my feet wet with the game on dolphin, but stopped after a bit a research. In addition to the MMO-like gameplay it is also filled with hundreds mindnumbingly boring sidequests. Game wan't for me, but that doesn't mean that their next title wouldn't be either. Seems like nothing has changed, so I'll dock this from my games to play on wii-u list.

Why is MMO gameplay bad, exactly?

#42 Posted by REVOLUTIONfreak (18141 posts) -

Looks promising, but I think they're going about introducing this game to the public in the wrong way. They need some sort of cohesive trailer that showcases what it's actually about. I don't know why these trailers are so mysterious.

#43 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17565 posts) -

The little interest I had in this game died after watching that video. That type of messy gameplay isn't for me.

#44 Edited by AznbkdX (3576 posts) -

Showing a combat clip just doesn't work as well for a game like this, especially in a Direct. I would have left stuff like that for random segments in the Ninty channel, not to show off on the Direct. Cinematic trailers that cut from combat to story work wonders for JRPG's.

Most JRPG's imo have janky or "ordinary" looking combat, but people play through them because it is acceptable enough for the story, overall strengthening of your party, and class building. The addictive qualities far outweigh the combat. I understand that Ninty is gameplay first which is what I applaud them for even in trailers, but for JRPG's sake it really doesn't look nearly as great as a trailer tbh.

#45 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1763 posts) -

Xenoblade was a decent game, seems everyone loved it way more than I did; X seems to continue a lot of the battle system that Xenoblade had, which was ok.

#46 Edited by AznbkdX (3576 posts) -

If you don't like Xenoblade's combat, then you probably won't like this game period, aside from the environments.

#47 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@AznbkdX: it seems like the "trailer" was tailored to those who did buy Xenoblade Chronicles and JRPG fans.

#48 Posted by Ballroompirate (23744 posts) -

Yup X is the reason why I would buy a Wii U, game looks pretty amazing.

#49 Posted by AznbkdX (3576 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@AznbkdX: it seems like the "trailer" was tailored to those who did buy Xenoblade Chronicles and JRPG fans.

Honestly it was pretty lazy though. I can see why some people are underwhelmed, including me, but most people that play RPG's should know that watching it play out on screen isn't nearly as great as doing it yourself most of the time. You tend to not mind the jank when you are going through the game after a while.

#50 Posted by Mario1331 (8844 posts) -

@MFDOOM1983 said:

Stand at a safe range while shooting at an enemy that poses no real threat, then hop into a mech and do the same thing against a much larger enemy. Is combat not the main draw of this game?

Edit: Why would you ever not use your mech? Energy limits, exp. bonus? On-foot combat seems, rather, pointless. I'd imagine dispatching smaller enemies at a quicker rate via your mech would be preferable to fighting them on-foot. Especially, over the course of 100+ hours of gameplay.

do you even know how the mechs work?