Modern Warfare 2 Drops Call of Duty from Title

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 0

#1 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

Activision's confirmed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is now plain old Modern Warfare 2.

Who needs Call of Duty anyway, right?

Press release after the break. Apparently CoD4's the best selling FPS of all time. Says so there.

Countdown Begins for the Most-Anticipated Game of the Year

SANTA MONICA, Calif., March 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - Prepare for the ultimate invasion! The most anticipated game of the year and the sequel to the best-selling first-person action game of all time*, Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 will strike worldwide on November 10, 2009. Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI - News) will release the newest installment in the groundbreaking and record-setting follow-up to the 2007 blockbuster, Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare(TM), that has sold more than 12 million copies worldwide, to date.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/03/26/gdc-modern-warfare-2-drops-the-call-of-duty-bit/

I like this change, even if all it means is that we won't actually be seeing the Call of Duty name on a game yearly... :)

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
this is good
SteezyZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SteezyZ
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts
I agree that it's a good decision, after all, the modern setting of CoD4 was a break from the past, and having a game like CoD: WaW just made it even more apparent that they needed to branch off.. Besides, the CoD4: MW2 acronym would just...suck.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Doesn't matter if they drop it or not. It's still a sequel to Call of Duty 4.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Yet people will still call it Call of Duty 6. -_-

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
That seems a little pointless. This could potentially cause some confusion if people aren't aware that the name's been changed. COD is a well known brand, it seems a little strange to drop the name.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
I don't see the point...
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
That seems a little pointless. This could potentially cause some confusion if people aren't aware that the name's been changed. COD is a well known brand, it seems a little strange to drop the name. Silent-Hal
Yeah that is true. However, it seems a bit simpler now, I like it; A hell of a lot better than Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2, that just seems cluttered.
D1gitalDiv1de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D1gitalDiv1de
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

I think this is a good thing. Modern Warfare IS Call of Duty 4. Plus I heard that IW made a deal in which they are the only company that can produce a Call of Duty game with a number on it ever since Treyarch butchered call of Duty with the "3rd" installment. Besides there are a number of Call of Duty games, "Big Red One" for example, that aren't numbered for the sake of being a sequel. All this means is that right now IW is hard at work on CoD 5, since MW2 comes out this year, and I am sure it's close to being done. Hopefully we will get a "Future Warfare" installment...Twould Pwnz.