Mobile Graphics power to surpass PS3/360 soon. @j2zon2591

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MajesticShea (730 posts) -

@j2zon2591 I was wrong mobile power output is catching up pretty fast I think the 3ds next iteration will surpass 360/ps3 levels

link-http://www.extremetech.com/computing/162187-nvidia-demos-tegra-5-logan-kepler-finally-comes-to-mobile-and-its-amazing

#2 Posted by AdrianWerner (28171 posts) -

So...mobile is still 8-9 behind home tech? And that's supposed to be impressive?

#3 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1862 posts) -

Next year PS3 will be 8 years old. Doesn't sound like much of a big deal. They should worry about battery life, i dont really care about playing games on a phone xD

#4 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Even if they do surpass the benchmark for consoles, what is to say it would be a cheap endeavour to use them in a mass marketed product?. Do you think people who buy mobile phones buy them for games or do you think mobile needs that much power to run applications they use currently?

Nvidia or whatever chip manufacturer can create the craziest tech that makes graphics surpass even PS4 and there would still be other factors that hinders it adoption rate. Graphix=Heat

#5 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (803 posts) -

Exploding phones... A step up from overheating

#6 Posted by Pray_to_me (3051 posts) -

Seems about right handheld graphics 8-10 years behind console. Think N64 1996 to the DS 2004.

#7 Posted by adamosmaki (9786 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:

Next year PS3 will be 8 years old. Doesn't sound like much of a big deal. They should worry about battery life, i dont really care about playing games on a phone xD

the fact that they manage to make mobile gpu's with that power while consuming no more than 3-4W ( if you think of it ps3 gpu consumes over 100W ) is downright impressive

#8 Posted by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -
@AdrianWerner said:

So...mobile is still 8-9 behind home tech? And that's supposed to be impressive?

Considering it's packed into a device that's about 1/50th of the size of a console (and that's comparing an S4 to a PS3 Super Slim) that has no fans or ventilation, a low power consumption and can't produce much heat, yes it's pretty impressive.

#9 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2976 posts) -

The iPad is already more powerful than even high end PCs because it runs at 1536 resolution whereas most PC gamers only run at 1080 or 1440, so they are old and outdated. I can never play 1080/1440 after playing at 1536.

#11 Posted by osan0 (12949 posts) -

it will be interesting to see how this develops over the next few years and what will be used in the next handhelds.

even with all the advancement though mobile hardware can still have some issues compared to even really old consoles like the first xbox.

for example: on paper the vita is superior to the first xbox in terms of hardware. more ram (at least 256MB + 128MB dedicated Vram), the graphics core is far more advanced (its essentially DX10 level tech vs a geforce 3) and a tripple core processor for games (1 core i think is reserved for the OS). but i am playing WRC4 on it at the moment and with things like the amount of dust appearing behind the car the vita is still beaten by colin mcrae 2005. overall wrc4 is a visual upgrade (and the vita plays it at a higher res than 480P as far as i know) but there are some areas where it doesnt match up.

killzone mercenary is another example. mobile hardware does not seem to deal with things like smoke very well, the developer had to compromise a lot to keep the framerate steady.

so itll be interesting to see how this side of the hardware business develops and what compromises will need to be made to keep the power cosumption at acceptable levels (and heat also).

i wonder what nintendo and sonys next handhelds will contain?

#12 Edited by APiranhaAteMyVa (2976 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

The iPad is already more powerful than even high end PCs because it runs at 1536 resolution whereas most PC gamers only run at 1080 or 1440, so they are old and outdated. I can never play 1080/1440 after playing at 1536.

wut

PC/PS4 gamers argue this all the time, PC gamers have been playing at 1080 for years before consoles reached it which makes them old and outdated, because now resolution>everything else iPad wins.

iPad = 3,145,728 pixels

Most PC gamers = 2.1 million pixels, missing out on 1 million pixels is like Vaseline on the screen, same as going from 720p to 1080p

#14 Edited by APiranhaAteMyVa (2976 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

@Desmonic said:

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

wut

PC/PS4 gamers argue this all the time, PC gamers have been playing at 1080 for years before consoles reached it which makes them old and outdated, because now resolution>everything else iPad wins.

You....you do realize PC gamers can play at ridiculously high resolutions if they so wish right?...Like 3840x2160 high, for example. So no, even by that absurd logic the iPad does not > everything.

I do, but the majority of monitors PC gamers play on are 1080 or 1440 starting to creep in. Sticking 3 monitors side by side isn't really the same thing.

#16 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2976 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

@Desmonic said:

You....you do realize PC gamers can play at ridiculously high resolutions if they so wish right?...Like 3840x2160 high, for example. So no, even by that absurd logic the iPad does not > everything.

I do, but the majority of monitors PC gamers play on are 1080 or 1440 starting to creep in. Sticking 3 monitors side by side isn't really the same thing.

Regardless of whether you think it's the exact same thing or not: 3840x2160 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iPad.

The Asus 4k monitor that plays at that res cost $3,499 slight difference in price compared to $499

#18 Posted by j2zon2591 (2347 posts) -

@majesticshea said:

@j2zon2591 I was wrong mobile power output is catching up pretty fast I think the 3ds next iteration will surpass 360/ps3 levels

link-http://www.extremetech.com/computing/162187-nvidia-demos-tegra-5-logan-kepler-finally-comes-to-mobile-and-its-amazing

A thread directed at me? LOL *blush*

Wonder where the iPad "5" (iPad Air) sits there.

Cool then. So I guess Xbox One capabilities if Sony ever makes another handheld (w/c most say they won't; understandable). I said on the prev. thread X1 capabilities but renders below 720p but it may not be the case.

Who knows, there could be a more rapid/slower advancement in the coming 4-6 years for mobile tech.

Thanks.

#19 Posted by AdrianWerner (28171 posts) -

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

The reason why that iPad can run those games in 1536 resolution is because they display graphics on the level of pc titles from 2004.

Also...1440 is higher resolution than 1536. Math isn't your strong suit, is it? :D

#20 Posted by AM-Gamer (5039 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake: I remember when Epic got on stage to talk about how last years I pad was more powerful then the PS3 and 360 then they got on stage to show off the new infinity blade , which looked far worse then most PS3/360 games. LMAO.

#21 Posted by emgesp (2500 posts) -

Tegra 5 beats the Wii U in power. 400 Gflops is what I'm hearing.