MMORPGs in our lives and how they affect the rest of gaming...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

Well... in the past there was a period that I've been a hardcore MMORPG player, that lasted for a couple of years in which I played quite many of them with WoW taking most of my time. At some point it become like a second job to me, I was not playing just for the fun that we all tend to seek when playing games but because I was feeling that I have to in order to keep up with the rest of my guild etc.

So then.... I saw light!
I quit for some years, not touching any MMORPG in the mean time. Lately however after reading about the Elders Scrolls Online, I became interested in the title but as it was still unavailable to play (in Alpha beta atm) I decided to renew my WoW sub.

Well I've been fvcking hooked again... since I renewed this goddamn thing I haven't played any other game. This is cancer seriously...

Do you guys feel the same? What's your opinion on MMORPGs? Do you also see it as being the devil... the heroine of the gaming community?

PS: Still Elder Scrolls online looks awesome and might try it out. :P

#2 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6853 posts) -
I remember back in high school I used to be seriously addicted to Silkroad Online. If it wasn't for the fact that I seriously fed up with bots constantly crowded the servers, preventing legit users from logging in, I would 'probably' still be playing.
#3 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

First of all - Varcis, how have you been man? Long time no talk. 

You know, I've never been able to get into MMOs. The only one which really appealled to me was EVE Online. Seriously, I love the game, the universe, all that stuff. I just feel like it's pace is too slow, and I never have anyone to play with in my time zone, etc etc. 

Like, if EVE Online could be a single player game where friends could drop in as coop partners for missions, that would rock. If it had a single player pace eg - no more then 2-3 hours of play between 'upgrades' (might be a new ship, might be new lasers for your ship, or a new skill like salvage) then I'd be keen. 

I don't know man. Maybe it's a personality thing, maybe some people just have a personality which makes MMOs more addictive for them. 

#4 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

First of all - Varcis, how have you been man? Long time no talk. 

You know, I've never been able to get into MMOs. The only one which really appealled to me was EVE Online. Seriously, I love the game, the universe, all that stuff. I just feel like it's pace is too slow, and I never have anyone to play with in my time zone, etc etc. 

Like, if EVE Online could be a single player game where friends could drop in as coop partners for missions, that would rock. If it had a single player pace eg - no more then 2-3 hours of play between 'upgrades' (might be a new ship, might be new lasers for your ship, or a new skill like salvage) then I'd be keen. 

I don't know man. Maybe it's a personality thing, maybe some people just have a personality which makes MMOs more addictive for them. 

psymon100

All good mate... you see I haven't even been on forums for so long cause of this thing! Damn that's pathetic! I think I'll unsub next month. For me its just that I can't play it casually cause I always want to be in best guilds etc... so that kinda forces me to dedicate more time.

#5 Posted by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

Play planetside 2 for your mmo fix if your computer can run it.  You don't need to be so dedicated to that game to keep up.  Just hop in and play when you can. Plus it's just as fun as wow. Actually more fun.  This is coming from a former wow player. 

#6 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

Play planetside 2 for your mmo fix if your computer can run it.  You don't need to be so dedicated to that game to keep up.  Just hop in and play when you can. Plus it's just as fun as wow. Actually more fun.  This is coming from a former wow player. 

NFJSupreme

this also comes from a former WoW player its not in the same genre as WoW and therefore your assessment is BS

#7 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

I kinda hate WoW the way it is now, it sucks... just playing it 'till TESO is released.

The whole point is wether MMORPGs are good or we should avoid them at all cost. Asking this cause I wasn't able to keep it to minimum level... it's all or nothing!

#8 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

I kinda hate WoW the way it is now, it sucks... just playing it 'till TESO is released.

The whole point is wether MMORPGs are good or we should avoid them at all cost. Asking this cause I wasn't able to keep it to minimum level... it's all or nothing!

V3rciS

idk about that i play GW2 and play other games on the side. i am atm playing space marine again and ill be doing brutal legend afterwords.

#9 Posted by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

[QUOTE="NFJSupreme"]

ionusX

this also comes from a former WoW player its not in the same genre as WoW and therefore your assessment is BS

I like mmos. No ps2 is not an mmorpg but it gives me my mmo fix and is what got me off wow for good.  I can just hop on and play when I want without worrying about gear or by ques or grinding.  Its a good replacement for me and doesn't tkae up nearly as much of my time. Just offering an alternative dude no need for hostility.  

#10 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

V3rciS

btw could u link your steam account i want to @dd u 

#11 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

All good mate... you see I haven't even been on forums for so long cause of this thing! Damn that's pathetic! I think I'll unsub next month. For me its just that I can't play it casually cause I always want to be in best guilds etc... so that kinda forces me to dedicate more time.

V3rciS

That's good you're good. 

Yeah, the game is always going on, perpeptual world. And yeah to be the best it does take time. 

Do you feel it's sufficiently rewarding though? Like when you're in a good guild with good gear and a good character you like, is it worth it?

#12 Posted by Jamani (1779 posts) -
MMORPG will fall off worst then casey wegner
#13 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

MMORPG will fall off worst then casey wegnerJamani

lol

I have no idea why he's so unpopular. Something about days gone by. 

#14 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

I played WoW hardcore for two years, but life hit and I began playing it very casually (like maybe an hour a day). I don't play any right now nor I wouldn't for a while (unless a Mass Effect mmo happens) but I like how much more casual they are becoming. Most people can't commit the time for hardcore playing like some people want them to. I think MMos are good games, all they need is to strike a decent balance between casual play and giving the more hardcore players rewards without the gap being too ridiculous.

#15 Posted by NFJSupreme (5399 posts) -

I played WoW hardcore for two years, but life hit and I began playing it very casually (like maybe an hour a day). I don't play any right now nor I wouldn't for a while (unless a Mass Effect mmo happens) but I like how much more casual they are becoming. Most people can't commit the time for hardcore playing like some people want them to. I think MMos are good games, all they need is to strike a decent balance between casual play and giving the more hardcore players rewards without the gap being too ridiculous.

GD1551

Which is why I suggested planetside 2. It strikes a perfect balance. You can play it casually or hardcore and everyone is still on a relatively even playing field. 

#16 Posted by V3rciS (2206 posts) -

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

ionusX

here but not playing on steam that much lol
http://steamcommunity.com/id/vercis

#17 Posted by princeofshapeir (15031 posts) -
I weigh 456 lbs and play WoW all day. I never leave the house. My mom keeps me around only because she's partially blind and thinks I'm living with my nonexistent girlfriend
#18 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -
Well I've never played an MMO so I've never got addicted to them. TBH these addiction stories are quite off putting, I know I could be the type. Hell, even when I play Pokemon I always want to keep playing, think about it throughout the day (until I complete the game, thank you single player!). Imagine when they start making MMO Pokemon games.... FUUUUUUUUUU!
#19 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

Simply the worst genre in the gaming industry. But those 3rd world citezens will keep it alive with 'em gold farming and limited to low quality gaming.

#20 Posted by princeofshapeir (15031 posts) -

Simply the worst genre in the gaming industry. But those 3rd world citezens will keep it alive with 'em gold farming and limited to low quality gaming.

Mr_BillGates
Like third world citizens keep Apple alive?
#21 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="V3rciS"]

V3rciS

here but not playing on steam that much lol
http://steamcommunity.com/id/vercis

sent

#22 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15956 posts) -

age of conan is a good one despite the crappy f2p restrictions which caused me to stop playing.

Tera is alot of fun, currently playing that.