MMORPGs are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DogOfWarIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DogOfWarIII
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts
1. monthly fee. You spend 2 years and hundreds of dollars on a game then something happens one day and you have nothing left. 2. time sink, they steal YOUR SOUL and life! 3. Too addictive- Coughs korea coughs. Give me one good thing MMORPGs have brought to this world that is good. Besides that "It's a FUN GAME" argument.
FGMPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FGMPR
Member since 2009 • 804 Posts

-Because it brings elements of community and gaming together in a way that no other genre could ever touch.

-Leveling a character with elite gear can be rewarding, as can raiding huge dungeons over vent with 20-odd people.

-They can be epic, both in lore and in the size of the worlds. I've never seen a non-mmo come close to WoW or LotRO, when it comes to detailed, open worlds.

-They are usually very deep games, with a massive level of customisation. Even "casual" MMO's like WoW are many times more complex than any console game ever released.

-The emergence of MMORPG's has barely effected that of non MMO RPG's. Even if you hate everything about them, how can say that they are the worst thing to happen to gaming? Perhaps you should be venting your spleen towards MS and it's Live service. Live's ability to make tiny, incremental DLC highly profitable has led to a generation of greed with companies these days often coming out with on disc DLC and incomplete games like Prince of Persia 08 and Mafia II.

-Because they can be FUN. I don't care if you want to say that having fun isn't a valid point of contention when discussing a genre of gaming, because quite frankly, that is utterly ridiculous.

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

I thought the Wii was??

FrostMTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FrostMTG
Member since 2010 • 471 Posts

if the title was "Free mmorpgs are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming"

I would agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

EVE-Online is built on the concept of a mmorpg community and it's so advanced most people stopped playing during the training segment.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

I don't get how a single one of the points listed in the OP is "bad" for gaming.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#7 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts
[QUOTE="FGMPR"]

-Because it brings elements of community and gaming together in a way that no other genre could ever touch.

-Leveling a character with elite gear can be rewarding, as can raiding huge dungeons over vent with 20-odd people.

-They can be epic, both in lore and in the size of the worlds. I've never seen a non-mmo come close to WoW or LotRO, when it comes to detailed, open worlds.

-They are usually very deep games, with a massive level of customisation. Even "casual" MMO's like WoW are many times more complex than any console game ever released.

-The emergence of MMORPG's has barely effected that of non MMO RPG's. Even if you hate everything about them, how can say that they are the worst thing to happen to gaming? Perhaps you should be venting your spleen towards MS and it's Live service. Live's ability to make tiny, incremental DLC highly profitable has led to a generation of greed with companies these days often coming out with on disc DLC and incomplete games like Prince of Persia 08 and Mafia II.

-Because they can be FUN. I don't care if you want to say that having fun isn't a valid point of contention when discussing a genre of gaming, because quite frankly, that is utterly ridiculous.

sums up my thoughts. MMO's when done right, can be a hell of an experience. especially comepetitive-wise. WoW for example.
Cronik959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cronik959
Member since 2009 • 262 Posts

if the title was "Free mmorpgs are the worst thing to ever happen to gaming"

I would agree.

FrostMTG

I disagree

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

I thought the Wii was??

Shirokishi_
I thought it was the FPStation 3 and FPSbox 360. But yes MMORPGs are the worst.
deadesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 deadesa
Member since 2005 • 1706 Posts
You know you don't have to play them right? Ever time you see something dealing with MMO's you can just go ahead and turn away. Plus two points of your argument are the exact same thing.
Tweetie-Pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tweetie-Pot
Member since 2010 • 1040 Posts
FPStation 3 Sonicplys
Never heard this one before.
Rez89x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rez89x
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

Yeah. A genre that has not affected any other genre is the worst thing to happen to gaming..

Addictive is listed as a bad aspect. :lol:

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

i never liked them anyway,very tedious and boring

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Without MMOs there would be no vibrant continential asian gaming market.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Meh to MMORPG's...........but i want a Planetside 2!

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

[QUOTE="FGMPR"]

Dead-Memories

sums up my thoughts. MMO's when done right, can be a hell of an experience. especially comepetitive-wise. WoW for example.

Agreed. I am really anticipating Guild Wars 2. Still worried about TOR though.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Without MMOs there would be no vibrant continential asian gaming market.

DogOfWarIII

LOL

Yeah, writing "lol" is a good strategy when you have no clue about the topic at hand ;)

DoogieSushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DoogieSushie
Member since 2010 • 130 Posts

I definitely don't agree. I think the whole making games tailored for EVERYONE including grandma would be worse IMO

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

dude, without WoW, what would Mr. T play?

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Look at runescape, sure its a love hate thing with Runescape. The free to play can get dull but the membership is very awarding.

• Just like with all other good MMORPGs, Runecape has a large free-to-play community and a large pay to play community
  • With ftp (free to play) alone, you get more than 14 thousand hours of game play on Runescape, with hours of game play dramaticly increasing when you look at ptp (pay to play). You look at other MMORPGs, you will find that they are probably similar in hours of game play for both free and pay
  • It is constantly updating, you start playing, and you find that it is not up to your standards, so you "quit" and then you come back a year later and find out that the game's graphics have dramaticly improved, there is more content then ever before, and the community has grown. Ofcours there are other things that could change over a period of time after susposetly "quiting." Im not sure about others but Im sure there are a few that update weekly/ monthly, always adding new content/ improving the old content
  • With MMORPGs like runescape, it has no replay value, but then again it never did, since new content is always being released, you have never actually technically beaten the game
  • It is extremely fun raising your states and having reason to call people n00bs
  • You can interact with the community outside the game in the forums. And you will find that it is always active. You can also interact with the developers of the game on the forums and make suggestions on how to improve the content of the game/ gameplay and the Devs actually respond and sometimes even impliment your ideas. As long as you dont act stupid, you wont get flamed or bashed (which isnt allowed anyway).
  • plus alot of them (the MMORPGs with lesser graphics like Runescape; though I do need to say that runecapes graphic quality has been improving over the years and soon might become too great for the web broswers) can be played on the Web Broweser, no super computer/ gaming system required. Oh and no Broadband internet connect needed either (for runescape atleast)

Now there are many more reasons why MMORPGs are not even close to being the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. But that would take too long to list them all. Now the worst thing (person) to happen to gaming is... Bobby Kotric (lol I fail if I spelled the Devil's name wrong)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
they're fun. not all of them require monthly fees, and no they don't lose quality because of that *points at guild wars, GW2* and if you can't control yourself, it's not the game's fault.