Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Lol, that was pretty sweet miyamoto and I have to agree. Screw the casuals, they add nothing desirable to my gaming hobby...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

Isn't that pretty much every console gamer except those who play dark souls type games..

No, there's also COD pros

So hardcore

Loading Video...

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This was hilarious, and it's totally CoD in a nutshell. Dudebro's United! Damn I'm glad I'm not in college any more after watching that crap.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Everyone and their mother knew the Wii's audience was limited time only. I could have told you that and nobody was paying me six figures to head the damn company.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

Well the WiiU hasn't shown that at all.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

Lmao that video reminds me of this

Loading Video...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

Uhhhh Wii?

E-fucking-xactly

frankopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 frankopan
Member since 2005 • 186 Posts

@lostrib: The comment was made about casual gamers yet we have no consensus on what a casual gamer is.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Sounds like he's a little mad the Casual gamer never jumped on ship with the Wii U.

Nintendo owes the success of the Wii to the Casual gamer.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts
@RoboCopISJesus said:

Isn't that pretty much every console gamer except those who play dark souls type games..

Good call....just like every PC gamer is a 40 year old umarried man with the same social skills as a gold fish.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yeah and he'd be singing a different tune if the casuals lapped up the Wii U like they did the Wii

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@frankopan said:

@lostrib: The comment was made about casual gamers yet we have no consensus on what a casual gamer is.

It's the guy who plays the same COD, Madden, and Assassin's Creed game every year and never plays anything else, imo.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I think he is only talking about what they are currently doing with the WiiU. I think their next console will shift back to the casual market a bit.He is not bashing casual gamers.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Gue1: So... how is he going to make Mario not casual?

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I thought the Wii was the definition of casual console... why would you start insulting your own fan base?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Everyone and their mother knew the Wii's audience was limited time only. I could have told you that and nobody was paying me six figures to head the damn company.

A decent portion of the casual market would have bought the WiiU if nintendo tried to appeal to them, but Nintendo didn't care.There are some casuals within their core audience that are still interested in their hardware, but they went after audiences that weren't really interested or less interested in their hardware in the first place(like the core gamers).

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

Good call....just like every PC gamer is a 40 year old umarried man with the same social skills as a gold fish.

So like the people in your sig.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Gue1:

You are ready for a career in sensationalistic journalism. He didn't say they are "pathetic". He said a certain attitude is pathetic to him. Attitudes change with moods and circumstances. He didn't label the casual gamer.

Isn't taking things out of context is what journalism is about?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Overall I agree with what he says, but maybe say it a bit better next time...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#70 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Gue1:

You are ready for a career in sensationalistic journalism. He didn't say they are "pathetic". He said a certain attitude is pathetic to him. Attitudes change with moods and circumstances. He didn't label the casual gamer.

Isn't taking things out of context is what journalism is about?

It's what it has become, I would say. But it isn't what it is taught to be.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Looks like he finally see the light.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

But they´re the majority of your audience.

THIS!

Nintendo should not insult the vast majority of their audience.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#74 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

This is a pretty big deal, and an indicator of how Nintendo will move forward. But it's also a really, really damaging thing to say when they're banking on courting this same audience for the QoL platform. And I think Miyamoto could have suggested this shift without saying it outright.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@frankopan said:

yeah but why care what someone else labels you (casual or hardcore). If that's how you enjoy spending your time and playing games, it doesn't really matter

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#76  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19490 Posts

I get the feeling something got lost in translation. I wonder what his original Japanese word was that got translated as "pathetic"?

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I remember laughing at miyamoto expression when he was checking out kinect and kinect games.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#79 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

@RoboCopISJesus said:

No...no it's not.

Well... as long as you have a PC to play the more in-dpeth games/genres that never make it to systems without proper inputs (K/M)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

Did Nintendo just take a giant piss on their Wii fans? So because 'we no longer need to focus on those gamers' Nintendo or he looks down on them.

What an asshole comment to make. Outside of SWs I celebrate that we now have so many degrees of gamers. I think it's an amazing thing. I thought Nintendo would have too.

I'm disappointed in him for that as well, because Nintendo pioneered some of those games casuals play such as the Game & Watch series I love so much and some early GameBoy and Nes stuff.

Why is he looking down on them. Isn't this the sort of acceptance we wanted, where everyone games to some degree. I don't like the Wii, but I appreciate that some do and Nintendo might have reached some gamers with it. Just like with mobile gaming, I'm not into it, but I like and appreciate that others are.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@RoboCopISJesus said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@RoboCopISJesus said:

So like the people in your sig.

I don't have a sig.

You seem smart.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#82  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

I think he means causual gamers are fickle, and they need to capture the crowds who knows what they're looking for.

I think Nintendo should pull an MS/TombRaider deal, but go with titles that'd be easy to pluck from publishers.

For instance the Shin Megami Tensei Persona games have a great cult following, but Persona 3 and Persona 4 weren't great sellers by themselves, neither game sold more than a million first release. So, Nintendo could pretty much pay a low sum of money to guarantee they make their usual revenues, in order to bring the game to the Wii U exclusively.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By super600  Moderator

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Did Nintendo just take a giant piss on their Wii fans? So because 'we no longer need to focus on those gamers' Nintendo or he looks down on them.

What an asshole comment to make. Outside of SWs I celebrate that we now have so many degrees of gamers. I think it's an amazing thing. I thought Nintendo would have too.

I'm disappointed in him for that as well, because Nintendo pioneered some of those games casuals play such as the Game & Watch series I love so much and some early GameBoy and Nes stuff.

Why is he looking down on them. Isn't this the sort of acceptance we wanted, where everyone games to some degree. I don't like the Wii, but I appreciate that some do and Nintendo might have reached some gamers with it. Just like with mobile gaming, I'm not into it, but I like and appreciate that others are.

He isn't bashing the casuals at all and he isn't saying that they will follow what MS and Sony are doing currently. He is talking about not dumbing down their games to appeal to an audience. A lot of last gen games are guilty of doing this on the Wii,the 360 and the PS3. We are also starting to see this happening to some PS4 and Xbox one games.This is also present on the mobile platforms.A middle ground approach is best for nintendo.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Miyamoto's clearly pissed that the Wii brand isn't so hot among casuals anymore.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@super600 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

He isn't bashing the casuals at all and he isn't saying that they will follow what MS and Sony are doing currently. He is talking about not dumbing down their games to appeal to an audience. A lot of last gen games are guilty of doing this on the Wii,the 360 and the PS3. We are also starting to see this happening to some PS4 and Xbox one games.This is also present on the mobile platforms.A middle ground approach is best for nintendo.

Nintendo needs to court Western developers back if they want to sell them outside Japan. I think it's a little ridiculous that we're all shocked when Japanese games sell badly here but are unfazed when Western games sell badly over there.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts
@super600 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

If that's what he meant, that's cool, but it was a poor choice of words I think. It sounds like he's saying it's pathetic to be that degree of a gamer with that attitude.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#87 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

He's not calling them pathetic; he's calling their attitude pathetic.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By super600  Moderator

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@super600 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

If that's what he meant, that's cool, but it was a poor choice of words I think. It sounds like he's saying it's pathetic to be that degree of a gamer with that attitude.

Someone probably mistranslated what he said.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I agree. I've said it very recently that I don't think the games of today are games at all.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

He's obviously butthurt because if he truly meant that then he would have known that long before the WiiU came out.

@frankopan said:

Can someone give us the definition of a "casual gamer"? Is it dependent on time spent gaming? The genres someone like? Please enlighten me because just recently I classified myself as such due to the fact that I have a few franchises that I'm more or less loyal to. I game on a PC which I spent some pretty coin on. I recently bought my first console in 17 years, the 3ds xl and am enjoying Ocarina of time. However, I game from hour and a half to 3 hours a day. Hardcore casual?

Casually game...you do know what casual is right? Relaxed, unconcerned, irregular. If you're a casual gamer, you don't take it seriously, you don't play regularly and you don't play any game that requires any complexity,persistence or time consumption. Casual games can be something like Chess or Angry Birds or it can also even be Unreal Tournament if you are just occasionally dropping in for a quick match and not taking it seriously. The actual type of game itself isn't really what makes you one or the other, it's how you take it. I suppose if you play Dark Souls irregularly and don't really try nor care if you beat it or achieve more than last time then you're certainly a casual gamer but often such gamers don't attempt to play these types of games if there is no quick or easy reward. They may also rather watch someone else play games than play it themselves. Interest in games but with no ambition or desire.

How to know if you're a hard core gamer: If you are devoted to any particular game at any point in time. If you can enjoy most any type of game regardless of platform, simplicity or complexity. You can enjoy Pac Man and yet you try to get a high score and you can enjoy BF or Skyrim and take it seriously enough to achieve and put some time and effort into the games you play. How often you play them is irrelevant so long as it's a regular schedule of some sort. Could be monthly, weekly or daily...and if you really have no life then it's hourly. You enjoy reading and conversing about games and related material. It can be a hobby in your spare time or it can consume your entire life. For the hardcore crowd, it's only about the games and you just flat out have fun playing them when you can or desire.

How to know if you're an elitist or hardware enthusiast: If you only care about specific games for a specific platform. You easily dismiss any game that doesn't fit into you're ideal perceptions of how it should look, run or control. These types often become graphic whores, are very opinionated within strict confines and defensive. They may also play irregularly, complain a lot sometimes with fits of rage and consistent with pointing out flaws in games. By definition they are not much of a gamer per say, rather they are dreamers always raging about how any particular game isn't real enough. Usually purchases bleeding edge hardware, likes to benchmark a lot, brag, tweak settings...etc. Speaks more often of hardware than games and/or enjoys any excuse for entitlement or superiority of having the "best" version of any particular game. These types can be PC, console or just old school players that miss the old days.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#91 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Where did he say that? Oh right, Gue1 (lol) thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@pimphand_gamer said:

He's obviously butthurt because if he truly meant that then he would have known that long before the WiiU came out.

@frankopan said:

Can someone give us the definition of a "casual gamer"? Is it dependent on time spent gaming? The genres someone like? Please enlighten me because just recently I classified myself as such due to the fact that I have a few franchises that I'm more or less loyal to. I game on a PC which I spent some pretty coin on. I recently bought my first console in 17 years, the 3ds xl and am enjoying Ocarina of time. However, I game from hour and a half to 3 hours a day. Hardcore casual?

Casually game...you do know what casual is right? Relaxed, unconcerned, irregular. If you're a casual gamer, you don't take it seriously, you don't play regularly and you don't play any game that requires any complexity,persistence or time consumption. Casual games can be something like Chess or Angry Birds or it can also even be Unreal Tournament if you are just occasionally dropping in for a quick match and not taking it seriously. The actual type of game itself isn't really what makes you one or the other, it's how you take it. I suppose if you play Dark Souls irregularly and don't really try nor care if you beat it or achieve more than last time then you're certainly a casual gamer but often such gamers don't attempt to play these types of games if there is no quick or easy reward. They may also rather watch someone else play games than play it themselves. Interest in games but with no ambition or desire.

How to know if you're a hard core gamer: If you are devoted to any particular game at any point in time. If you can enjoy most any type of game regardless of platform, simplicity or complexity. You can enjoy Pac Man and yet you try to get a high score and you can enjoy BF or Skyrim and take it seriously enough to achieve and put some time and effort into the games you play. How often you play them is irrelevant so long as it's a regular schedule of some sort. Could be monthly, weekly or daily...and if you really have no life then it's hourly.

How to know if you're an elitist or hardware enthusiast: If you only care about specific games for a specific platform. You easily dismiss any game that doesn't fit into you're ideal perceptions of how it should look, run or control. These types often become graphic whores, are very opinionated within strict confines and defensive. They may also play irregularly, complain a lot sometimes with fits of rage and consistent with pointing out flaws in games. By definition they are not much of a gamer per say, rather they are dreamers always raging about how any particular game isn't real enough. Usually purchases bleeding edge hardware, likes to benchmark a lot, brag, tweak settings...etc. Speaks more often of hardware than games and/or enjoys any excuse for entitlement or superiority of having the "best" version of any particular game. These types can be PC, console or just old school players that miss the old days.

Not sure I agree. Almost all fps and tps games are casual in solo mode. Any multiplayer game that allows for skill improvement can allow for a "hardcore attitude.

Nintendo Land can be played casually, but the high score nature of the game potentially makes it more hardcore than most of these "mature" movie games.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

LMAOOOOOOOo

Coincidentally, I came home from work today, stopped over at walmart to do some grocery shopping, Saw a wii U in front of me and figured...Meh, why not?

I came home, set it up (its updating as we speak)

Hopefully I'll use my brand new wii U more than I was anticipating I would if Miyamoto/Nintendo is going to put their money where their mouth is.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#94 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

His statement implicates he did not want to make a lot of the games that he made, wasting the past decade trying to make something he didn't believe in.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

i don't know what to say. his entire fan base are casuals. then again, a lot of nintendo games are pretty deep. zelda is a deep game masked as a casual game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@ps4hasnogames said:

i don't know what to say. his entire fan base are casuals. then again, a lot of nintendo games are pretty deep. zelda is a deep game masked as a casual game.

If his entire fanbase was casual then wiiu would be much better. The casual fanbase are on xbox and playstation. Casuals don't even know what a wiiu is. If I were to ask a casual gamer in a random situation about what nintendo wiiu is, they'd likely respond, "what, nintendo? you mean like, from the 80s and 90s?"

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

Nintendo did lose touch with their fervent base. Would be great to see them make a comeback.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#99 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@RR360DD: exactly, I think this is new position because the Wii U niche is composed of the fans that have stuck with Nintendo. I also believe he was taking a jab at the casuals who bandwagon bought the ps4.

Either way, this is good news. Nintendo's new focus on their fans something we've been asking for for years.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Heirren said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

If his entire fanbase was casual then wiiu would be much better. The casual fanbase are on xbox and playstation. Casuals don't even know what a wiiu is. If I were to ask a casual gamer in a random situation about what nintendo wiiu is, they'd likely respond, "what, nintendo? you mean like, from the 80s and 90s?"

how ironic that the wii u is a hardcore console lol. lets run with that notion for this gen.....would get the entire system warriors' panties in a bunch.