Miyamoto asks for new ideas

• 53 results
#1 Edited by Gue1 (9500 posts) -
#2 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

Oh no! People want a remake to a game they feel is dated... dude, grow up! It's been sometime since A Link Between Worlds released, I think now is the time to consider MM3D.

Seriously, did you only make this thread to badmouth the sheep? Because it sure seems like it.

#3 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17341 posts) -

Truth then and true now: People don't know what they want. Never listen to them.

#4 Posted by LordQuorthon (5286 posts) -

DEAR MISTER MIYAMOTO MOAR LIKE NOGAMEMOTO AMIRITIE MAKE A THE LAST OF US PORT WITH ANOTHER NAME AND STUFF BECAUSE THAT IS THE MOST PERFECTEST GAME EVER WE STILL WONT BUY BUT YOU MAKE IT SO SHEEP CAN HAVE SOMETHING GOOD TO WAT WE MEAN PLAY I KNOW U WONT BE ABLE TO PULL IT OFF BECUZ TEH GRAFX LOL NINTENDO PRIMARY COLORS TEH KIDDIE THANK YOU SONY

#5 Posted by ChronosChris (199 posts) -

What exactly is wrong with people asking for a Majora's Mask remake? People want it, so give it to them.

#6 Posted by TilxWLOC (1029 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing a new intellectual property under the action/adventure genre from the masters themselves, but I'm not really sure what you would expect in asking people for ideas. I refuse to support Kotaku, so I guess I won't know. Seriously though, outside of naming genres or ripping ideas from other games, what could you hope to get out of the masses.

#7 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

He asks for new ideas, he gets old ideas.

#8 Posted by trugs26 (5295 posts) -
#9 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

lol, did you really make this thread just to call out sheep for wanting an MM remake?

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6937 posts) -

This thread is bad and you should feel bad TC.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

Miyamoto: if you get a good answer, you can give us a call

Stephen Totilo: What's your phone number?

[laughter]

Lol, that's pretty funny, especially in the way that I imagine it.

#12 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

Truth then and true now: People don't know what they want. Never listen to them.

Yeah, that's pretty much proven. People just want more of the same.

When there was one type of coffee, and you asked people what coffee they wanted to drink it would always be the same answer.

It's up to companies to innovate and broaden the market. Not listen to stupid test groups or even worse base your entire game around a test group. Because that would mean 'make it more like game X'

#13 Edited by nini200 (9604 posts) -

Take your pick Nintendo. These are all fantastic franchises that have been neglected for years by you.

My Suggestion is Kirby's Dream Course as it's the best and most unique Kirby game created.

#14 Posted by ChronosChris (199 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide:

I know exactly what I want and I'm not going to stop asking until I get it.

#15 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Metroid open world rpg.

#16 Posted by jsmoke03 (12756 posts) -

more violent games...thanks

#17 Edited by farrell2k (5808 posts) -

@nini200: Nintendo doesn't own some of those franchises. Definitely not rad racer. That was Square. Man, I remember how fun rad racer was when I was a kid!

#18 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

And this is exactly why I say that Nintendo fanboys should shoulder some of the blame for nintys repetitiveness and failure to grow beyond gimmicks these days. As I said in another thread if people keep buying the shit they have piles to keep shoveling to them.

#19 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3474 posts) -

A Pretty Little Liars game by Nintendo. Make it happen.

Stop with the misleading thread titles. What is wrong with you?

#20 Edited by lamprey263 (23169 posts) -

I would like to see remakes, lots and lots of them, and that's something Nintendo can produce without wasting much internal resources on. Find smaller and talented third party studios in need of work, and give them the task of bringing older titles to the Wii U. How about a Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 collection that's updated for the Wii U, or the Metroid Prime Trilogy or add Other M and make it an Anthology, or Twilight Princess + Skyward Sword collection. Allow for people to use the Wiimote, and find solutions for dual analog controls. How about a Nintendo 3DS remake of Majora's Mask, then in time they can produce a Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask HD remake for the Wii U. Remakes don't need to be something that concerns Nintendo insomuch that it wastes resources that could be used to come up with new IPs.

They're already working on a new Star Fox, they're said to be in works of 2D and 3D Metroid titles. How about a brand new F-Zero for the Wii U, it would look darn pretty and Mario Kart 8 was probably one of the most impressive jumps in the series since Mario Kart 64, I think the Wii U would give a new F-Zero game a lot of promise. I liked how the Nintendo DS had a decent amount of Zelda support, had Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, besides wanting to see remakes of those for the 3DS, I'd like to see Nintendo support more Zelda on the 3DS with at least one more new Zelda game for it.

How about a compilation of Mario Sports games from the GameCube with updated Nintendo roster plus an updated roster that included characters from popular third party titles (much like Super Smash Bros does), one that includes Mario Golf Toudstool Tour, Super Mario Strikers, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Mario Power Tennis, all on one disc. Or heck, I've mentioned before, but Nintendo should ask EA to come up with Nintendo versions of the popular Midway sports titles that EA bought the rights to, like a Nintendo version of NBA Jams, NFL Blitz, NHL Hitz, and MLB Slugfest. An appealing thing from that from the EA end is they make a game and replace sports licensing franchises with Nintendo characters they don't have to pay the high sports licensing costs to produce such a game. As for something else, Nintendo should incentive them to produce something like a Wii U exclusive version of something like Battlefield 2143 since EA has shown no interest in making that game for XBL/PSN.

I'd like to see more support from Atlus, they've long been supporters of Nintendo, we see games like Devil Survivor 1 + 2 plus their updated 3DS versions (Record Break is incoming), Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, SMT4, and Persona Q coming later this year. That's something to build upon. Nintendo should pressure Atlus to port the Persona 3 + 4 games to the Wii U in a collection. Give it the most definitive version, HD visuals, all the content added to Persona 3 from Persona 3 FES plus the Persona 3 Portable, including any new characters and social links and such. As for Persona 4, give it The Golden enhancements. If they can open that door, maybe there's more they can bring from the SMT series they can enhance upon, for instance a Digital Devil Saga collection perhaps, a definitive version of Nocturne and the Devil Summoner games.

I'd like to see Nintendo make a Fatal Frame anthology that includes (at least) the first three games for the Wii U, maybe even the 4th game that never released outside of Japan, in anticipation of a new game that's coming out in near future. I mean, why buy the publishing rights to the series and then sit on your hands, the games are already made for heaven's sake, they just need porting, maybe enhancing. I think they can cram all the games on one disc, the first three games didn't exactly take up much space on the PS2 (judging from the PSN file sizes).

#21 Posted by nini200 (9604 posts) -

@nini200: Nintendo doesn't own some of those franchises. Definitely not rad racer. That was Square. Man, I remember how fun rad racer was when I was a kid!

Yep Rad Racer was the stuff of legends just like Bayou Billy and Mach Rider

#22 Edited by bbkkristian (14944 posts) -

I want Metroid Prime U, Miyamoto.

#23 Edited by Sphensen (735 posts) -

am I the only person that wants a new Pilot WIngs ?

#24 Posted by VendettaRed07 (13998 posts) -

This demand for a MM remake needs to end. FFS. Nintendo needs to make more new games. Especially for wii U. We've already gotten two remakes of two different 3D zeldas in the last 3 years. How many do we ****ing need.

Last thing they need to do is waste several months of Aonuma and others time on a remake when they could be devoting their time to something else.

Just release it on the WiiU VC

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Why is asking us ? Gamers are massive idiots that are never satisfied.... Didn't he get the memo ?

#26 Posted by blangenakker (2225 posts) -

I want more third party support.

#27 Edited by superbuuman (2683 posts) -

new games...no remakes. New Fatal Frame/Project Zero outside of Japan please!

#28 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5315 posts) -

I want a worthwhile new IP like Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero and Pikmin. This is the only correct answer.

#29 Posted by jsmoke03 (12756 posts) -

proves that gamers dont know what they want. ac and cod sells millions, people b!tch. developer asks for ideas....brings up sequels....=/

#30 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24898 posts) -

The first thing people should have started saying was for A New F-Zero.

#31 Posted by GamingTitan (518 posts) -

A new ActRaiser.

#32 Edited by Batt1eRatt1e (106 posts) -

Apparently he sees how well Phil Spencer is listening to consumers and pumping out updates every month and everything else MS has done to improve, so now he wants to listen to the customers. Too little too late.

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

Actually, put me on board with the platoon that wants a Majora's Mask remake already.

#34 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5315 posts) -

Actually, put me on board with the platoon that wants a Majora's Mask remake already.

GREZZO is hiring people to make something "legendary." That should tell you something

#35 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

GREZZO is hiring people to make something "legendary." That should tell you something

But I don't want a remake of Four Swords Adventures! D:

That would be pretty cool, actually.

#36 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5315 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:
@charizard1605 said:

But I don't want a remake of Four Swords Adventures! D:

That would be pretty cool, actually.

Online would be cool.

#37 Edited by MirkoS77 (7164 posts) -

I have an idea, Miyamoto, as much as I love ya: retire. Your position, legacy, and reputation at Nintendo is stifling creativity and fresh input as everything in the pipeline has to ultimately be approved by you. Miyamoto's no doubt made amazing contributions no one could ever match, but honestly, it's come to a point where those accomplishments have left Nintendo reliant too much on a one-man show. His legend has made Nintendo put all their eggs in one basket, and it's time for him to bow out and let new blood make some new decisions.

#38 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I have an idea Miyamoto: retire. Your position, legacy, and reputation at Nintendo is stifling creativity and fresh input as everything in the pipeline has to ultimately be approved by you. Miyamoto's no doubt made amazing contributions no one could ever match, but honestly, it's come to a point where those accomplishments have left Nintendo reliant too much on a one-man show. His legend has made Nintendo put all their eggs in one basket, and it's time for him to bow out and let new blood make some new decisions.

None of this makes any sense in context of Nintendo's new E3 showing.

#39 Posted by MirkoS77 (7164 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I have an idea Miyamoto: retire. Your position, legacy, and reputation at Nintendo is stifling creativity and fresh input as everything in the pipeline has to ultimately be approved by you. Miyamoto's no doubt made amazing contributions no one could ever match, but honestly, it's come to a point where those accomplishments have left Nintendo reliant too much on a one-man show. His legend has made Nintendo put all their eggs in one basket, and it's time for him to bow out and let new blood make some new decisions.

Why not?

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (56027 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Why not?

Did you, for example, see Splatoon?

#41 Posted by MirkoS77 (7164 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Why not?

One game? I've also seen more and more over the years an over-reliance on trusted franchises combined with extreme conservatism and safe ventures. Miyamoto oversees all projects at EAD. He is responsible for what gets approval and what doesn't, pitched to him by other junior developers working under him. You can rest assured the buck ultimately stops with him in terms of what gets the go ahead. And surely for good reason, but to have an creative ecosystem revolve solely around one person's brainstorms and philosophies, no matter how talented, is a bad idea.

Nintendo's software output has become much more risk-averse in recent years, and I think this is due in part to both Iwata not wishing to give decent financial backing to their efforts, but also because Miyamoto has been placed in a executive position that holds sway over the entirety of their software development choices whereas in his heyday he was at the head of individual projects. What Nintendo puts out does not feel like a collaborative effort by many, it feels like it's one man's focus.

I have no proof this is the case of course, but given his position and Nintendo's output this is how it comes off.

#42 Posted by Sphensen (735 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Why not?

One game? I've also seen more and more over the years an over-reliance on trusted franchises combined with extreme conservatism and safe ventures. Miyamoto oversees all projects at EAD. He is responsible for what gets approval and what doesn't, pitched to him by other junior developers working under him. You can rest assured the buck ultimately stops with him in terms of what gets the go ahead. And surely for good reason, but to have an creative ecosystem revolve solely around one person's brainstorms and philosophies, no matter how talented, is a bad idea.

Nintendo's software output has become much more risk-averse in recent years, and I think this is due in part to both Iwata not wishing to give decent financial backing to their efforts, but also because Miyamoto has been placed in a executive position that holds sway over the entirety of their software development choices whereas in his heyday he was at the head of individual projects. What Nintendo puts out does not feel like a collaborative effort by many, it feels like it's one man's focus.

I have no proof this is the case of course, but given his position and Nintendo's output this is how it comes off.

Miyamoto has expressed the same concerns and has stated that he's been encouraging the young padawans to do their own thing and not rely on him as much

#43 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7204 posts) -

Oh no! People want a remake to a game they feel is dated... dude, grow up! It's been sometime since A Link Between Worlds released, I think now is the time to consider MM3D.

Seriously, did you only make this thread to badmouth the sheep? Because it sure seems like it.

This this this x 1000

#44 Edited by Alcapello (779 posts) -

Your pretty f'ed at this point, just wait it out and minimize the damage with a proper mario game not this galaxy and 3D bs.

#45 Edited by freedom01 (612 posts) -

Mario Sunshine 2

#46 Posted by KungfuKitten (20854 posts) -

And this is exactly why I say that Nintendo fanboys should shoulder some of the blame for nintys repetitiveness and failure to grow beyond gimmicks these days. As I said in another thread if people keep buying the shit they have piles to keep shoveling to them.

You mean gamers. Not just Nintendo fanboys.

#47 Edited by Jag85 (4377 posts) -

This. Developers should just make the kinds of games that they want to make.

#48 Edited by AcidTango (533 posts) -

Cool idea.

#49 Posted by mbrockway (3399 posts) -

Dear Nintendo,

Make Metroid Other M officially not canon. Maybe make a canon 3DS Metroid action RPG that takes place during that time period just to make sure Other M's grave doesn't get disturbed. And have Samus reference stupid Other M moments sarcastically during the game. "That would be stupid if I did that, huh? I've had the Varia suit activated the whole time. Why would I wait for you to tell me its ok, you aren't the boss of me."

#50 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9763 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

This. Developers should just make the kinds of games that they want to make.

Close, but completely wrong. They should not follow what consumers tell them they want, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't make games calculated to serve the mainstream public. Asking for consumer input in decisions is decent in principle, but in practice only a small niche group will offer suggestions and those suggestions do not represent the mainstream, more often than not.

So no, they definitely should NOT indulge their creativity and egos in game development. Just like any company they need to obsess over what we as gamers want, and not just us forum dwellers.