Min 60" TV to tell difference in PS4 and X1 multiplats.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Link

Xbox UK marketing boss Harvey Eagle told CVG that, while he doesn't personally see a meaningful graphical difference between PS4 games and their Xbox One equivalents, he does understand the negative publicity has become an issue.

"I think it's a perception challenge, absolutely," Eagle told CVG.

"If you put third-party games side-by-side that are running at slightly different resolutions or frame rates, then unless you are using a screen that's more than 60 inches big, I defy you to really see the difference. I personally struggle to see the difference."

Nevertheless, Eagle believes the Xbox One team needs to overcome the challenge, adding that an updated console operating system will give developers more GPU resources.

I'm getting mixed messages here. First Eagle says that frame rate/resolution isn't noticeable. Then he reminds us that even though it's non issue they're wasting resources trying to play catch up with the PS4.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

Lol so when lems had the upper hand last gen this stuff mattered - but they when they dont its DC time. Lems, Lems never change.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

There was a thread on this, but bottom-line, lol Xbox UK marketing exec.

He's not a tech guy, this dude went to school for marketing and that's the trade he's applying right now to sway the masses. Is it working?! :0

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

720p-1080p differences are noticeable on sets larger than 42".

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
  1. This subject has already been discussed.
  2. The difference is, in most cases, negligible.
  3. There is a difference in each consoles hardware. One console has more proficient hardware one is less proficient -- that would be the non-negligible aspect of this whole story.
B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

My god do these Microsoft puppets don't know when to stfu... Isn't there a limit on the stupid?

A memo might be in order?

"Say stupid shit. You're Fired." -Phil Spencer

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I agree with this article. Its impossible to notice jaggies or blur on a 59", absolutely impossible, i can't do it and if i can't no1 can.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Resolution out of spec from native res = blur and jags.

Distance only determines if you can see the display's pixels. Since the image is bigger then 1 pixel, the distance needed to see no difference is far greater.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

these guys are so desperate, I right away saw the difference on a 32 inch tv. It was on NBA 2k14, the PS4 version had cleaner lines and an overall crisp look, the X1 version still looked good but not as clean as the ps4 version.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

MS: Here consumer, can you tell our hardware is less powerful than PS4?? No??? So buy it for the same price! Please!?

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I'd love if people stopped caring about resolution.

I mean, I understand the Xbox One is less powerful than the PS4, but so was the PS2 to Xbox (by orders of magnitude less powerful than the Xbox). It's amazing how little of a difference it truly makes to the gaming experience when playing a 720/900p game compared to a 1080p game when ALL other things are equal (no mods, similar controllers, etc.).

It's a stupid argument. Just buy what has the most games you want to play. If 99.9% of the games you want to play are multiplat then buy the PS4 since they'll all be better (or buy a PC since they'll be even better).

If you're someone who buys consoles for exclusives/games you can't get elsewhere, then buy the one that has what you want. You aren't going to die if you play a multiplat at 900p rather than 1080p. I mean jeez.... Can we discuss anything else? The Xbox One and PS4 have only gotten like.....1? exclusive this year? Why are you even planning to buy either console anyways? The game support from the parent companies is absolutely atrocious.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Here's the real problem: you can tell there's a difference.

The fact such exists it what they should be really concerning themselves over.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

If I were in MS marketing, I'd just stay away from the resolution debate altogether.

CDWJUSTIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CDWJUSTIN
Member since 2003 • 2078 Posts

I'm playing on a small 65 inch TV. I figured every person playing games was on something bigger than mine. I've got a tiny 52 inch TV in the bed room. So I guess half the time for me it matters according to this guy.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

You do know that he said "he personally struggles to see the difference"? That doesn't make it a fact. I can clearly tell how shitty 720p looks in comparison with 1080p on much smaller screens. My laptop is 1366x768 and I can definitely tell the difference between gaming on my laptop and when I connect it to my 20" 1080p monitor or when I use my desktop which has a 42" at 1080p. The difference is so drastic that one must be blind in order not to truly see the difference.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@papatrop: Agreed 100% my friend. The really stupid part of the argument is that, PC can do more. It's so stupid how console gamers keep trying to beat each other over something, realistically, they just can't win at. This argument goes has been going on for the last 2 or so years, mostly becaus eof Digital Foundry, and yet, the final conclusion is always the same. PC wins, so if you want teh best, you don't console.

And i'm not knocking down consoles in other aspects either.

@joel_c17 said:

Lol so when lems had the upper hand last gen this stuff mattered - but they when they dont its DC time. Lems, Lems never change.

To be fair, cows said last gen paying for multiplayer was stupid. Now they're fine with it. Fanboys on all sides honestly.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@joel_c17 said:

To be fair, cows said last gen paying for multiplayer was stupid. Now they're fine with it. Fanboys on all sides honestly.

When PS3 was trailing in market share, sales didn't matter and "you can't play sales" was the mantra. Now with PS4 in the lead, sales once again becomes ever so significant. Go figure.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Good to know, how about some game now lol

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I call bs on this. It's easy to notice high res even when gaming on tiny smartphone screens. Playing games on a 1080p smartphone looks way sharper than my 27" 1080p gaming monitor. A 1080p smartphone has much higher pixel densities than a 50" 4k.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

I feel bad for lemmings right now.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Xbox UK marketing boss Harvey Eagle told

/thread

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Lemmings and Xbox execs damage controlling like usual.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

lulz lem meltdown damage control is real. its 2014 games are all about 1080p standard only on ps4 that xbone cant handle. if u think you cant tell how better 1080p ps4 quality games over 792 xbone flop games are then ur brain got mental problems imho facts

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@_SWAG_ said:

lulz lem meltdown damage control is real. its 2014 games are all about 1080p standard only on ps4 that xbone cant handle. if u think you cant tell how better 1080p ps4 quality games over 792 xbone flop games are then ur brain got mental problems imho facts

The last 3-4 games on the PS4 have been 900p? /backfire?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

@deadline-zero0 said:
@joel_c17 said:

When PS3 was trailing in market share, sales didn't matter and "you can't play sales" was the mantra. Now with PS4 in the lead, sales once again becomes ever so significant. Go figure.

That argument was levied when PS3 was unanimously getting the better games, but still trailing behind in hardware sales. There was a bit of a disconnect between quality and sales.

This gen it seems like it's lining up more logically, the better console is selling better, the weaker console is struggling. Last gen was bizarro world, the worst console (WIi) dominated, then the 360 dominated, with the PS3 struggling to close the gap. However of all things a Kinect sold pretty well to keep the 360 in first place, even though Kinect itself did practically nothing for gamers.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@deadline-zero0 said:
@joel_c17 said:

That argument was levied when PS3 was unanimously getting the better games, but still trailing behind in hardware sales. There was a bit of a disconnect between quality and sales.

This gen it seems like it's lining up more logically, the better console is selling better, the weaker console is struggling. Last gen was bizarro world, the worst console (WIi) dominated, then the 360 dominated, with the PS3 struggling to close the gap. However of all things a Kinect sold pretty well to keep the 360 in first place, even though Kinect itself did practically nothing for gamers.

Yeah, but teh highest scoring exclusives belong to PC and the WiiU right now. And if i remember correctly, the WiiU is losing to the PS4 (sorry if i'm mistaken. And despite being a PC gamer, the PS4 and the XB1 will bypass PC in terms fo sales and possible userbase. So, that logic goes out the window.

There reality is that it's just fanboy arguments. I'm confident that if the XB1 was stronger than PS4 fans would use the "but atleast it's cheaper" mantra and the "lol, lems paying more for tiny differences you can barely see" argument themselves.

Know how i know? Fanboy mentality requires teh individual to use arguments that benifit their point of view, even if it means twisting it. As an example, the points made by me and AdobeArtist.

And yeah, sales and tiny differences on multiplats are pretty stupid. One way or the other.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

lol silly Microsoft

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it's not rocket science.

in the end no matter how small the difference is i want the best version of a console multiplat.

last gen it was mostly the 360 this time it is the ps4.

now granted if my friends are getting some game on x1 and i want to play with them that easily trumps a small advantage but in every other case i'm getting the best version i can.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Yankee Swap.

TuuPumpChump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TuuPumpChump
Member since 2014 • 99 Posts

This guy knows his shit...what's noticeable though is when they make the xbox multiplat 1080 and make the textures and effects look like piss. Lower the res and give us those effects(sniper elite)

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@joel_c17 said:

This sentence here pretty much sums up the entire industry. They play-up on all the things they have going for them, then down-play on all the things they don't have, even if it contradicts something they said about it in the past.

And the consumer (or Fanboy) either falls for it, or doesn't.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Well perhaps it wouldn't matter so much if you couldn't buy 9/10ths of the same games on both systems. If the consoles would focus on Exlusive games and not content people wouldn't care as much about what game does CoD slightly better.

When you have pretty much parity on price and library, then people are obviously going with the machine that can display the games better and at higher FPS. Consider it smart future proofing if your silly enough to think that it doesn't matter right now, especially FPS makes a huge difference.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

MS is taking lems for dumbasses. Lems, how do you feel about this?

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Riverwolf007 said:

it's not rocket science.

in the end no matter how small the difference is i want the best version of a console multiplat.

now granted if my friends are getting some game on x1 and i want to play with them that easily trumps a small advantage but in every other case i'm getting the best version i can.

Glad to hear it. I know you will enjoy your PC.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

Depends on distance from TV, if you sit 2 feet away you will notice difference but if you sit at a normal viewing distance. The guy is actually correct. Very minimal difference under normal viewing conditions on a anything less than 50".

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cranler

@tdkmillsy said:

Depends on distance from TV, if you sit 2 feet away you will notice difference but if you sit at a normal viewing distance. The guy is actually correct. Very minimal difference under normal viewing conditions on a anything less than 50".

You assume the 50" tv user is seated at the same distance as the smaller tv user. When starting a program on Netflix it will start at 480p then after a few seconds switch to 720 and then 1080 and from 10 ft away it's easy to see the difference with each res on my 46". It's also easy to see the difference between Netflix 1080p and blu ray. Also res has a bigger impact on games.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

@Cranler said:

@tdkmillsy said:

You assume the 50" tv user is seated at the same distance as the smaller tv user. When starting a program on Netflix it will start at 480p then after a few seconds switch to 720 and then 1080 and from 10 ft away it's easy to see the difference with each res on my 46". It's also easy to see the difference between Netflix 1080p and blu ray. Also res has a bigger impact on games.

Multiplat games now and moving forward will be 900/1080p 720p/900p. Which you wont tell the difference.

Interesting point about bigger impact on games, how is this so.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@inb4uall said:

while he doesn't personally see a meaningful graphical difference between PS4 games and their Xbox One equivalents, he does understand the negative publicity has become an issue... Eagle believes the Xbox One team needs to overcome the challenge, adding that an updated console operating system will give developers more GPU resources.

I'm getting mixed messages here. First Eagle says that frame rate/resolution isn't noticeable. Then he reminds us that even though it's non issue they're wasting resources trying to play catch up with the PS4.

"Reading comprehension is the ability to read text, process it and understand its meaning. An individual's ability to comprehend text is influenced by their traits and skills, one of which is the ability to make inferences."

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

Lemmings and Xbox execs damage controlling like usual.

my eyes are deceiving me.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I guess my PS4 must be broken it just doesn't produce the great graphics that you guys are talking about, they don't look any better than my X1.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@b4x said:

My god do these Microsoft puppets don't know when to stfu... Isn't there a limit on the stupid?

Let me check.....opens b4x posting history......nope.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

I guess my PS4 must be broken it just doesn't produce the great graphics that you guys are talking about, they don't look any better than my X1.

Mine's broken too then.

720p to 1080p is largely noticible but most games are 900p vs 1080p which is barely noticeable.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@inb4uall: really... i can see a difference when running battlefield at 720 and then 1080 on a 19" monitor........ this dude knows nothing

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Cranler said:

@foxhound_fox said:

A 1080p smartphone has much higher pixel densities than a 50" 4k.

No shit sherlock.

There is a point where 1080p resolution becomes "noticeable" at a particular sitting distance from the display. >42" is that point.

Sit as far away from your 1080p smartphone as you would your 50" 1080p television and tell me which has the clearer display.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cranler

@tdkmillsy said:

@Cranler said:

@tdkmillsy said:

Multiplat games now and moving forward will be 900/1080p 720p/900p. Which you wont tell the difference.

Interesting point about bigger impact on games, how is this so.

Well only video games have aliasing and higher res reduces the jaggies but higher res also seems to have a bigger impact on the overall look of the game.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@Riverwolf007 said:

it's not rocket science.

Glad to hear it. I know you will enjoy your PC.

yeah i love pc.

it is by far the best.

i don't use it for multiplayer since pc is eaten up with cheaters running mods that ruin the fun but for everything else consoles are not even in the same league.

it was always funny to me that pc was even allowed to be argued about in sw.

it's kinda like going to a wheelchair revue site and talking about how great your legs are.

i mean yeah i know we do it because we want people to be involved and be included in the "discussions" but really lol, arguing for pc in sw is just comedy.