Mike Capps Leaves Epic Games (WTF is going on at that studio?)

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DarkLink77 (31762 posts) -

The story (via IGN):

Former Epic president Mike Capps, who stepped down to assume an advisory role in December of last year, is departing from The House That Unreal Built entirely.

"When we announced that I wanted to transition out of my leadership role at Epic, the plan was for a continued but less active role, service on the board of directors, and ideally, being that eccentric semi-retired guy who still comes to playtests and gold parties," writes Capps in post on his Facebook page.

"Im sad to say that plans have changed, and as of February 11th, Im no longer affiliated with Epic Games."

Epic staff were made aware of his departure before Capps shared the news more widely.

"I have many wonderful memories of my time at Epic, and I wish my friends there all the best in their future projects," Capps continues.

Capps, who is now mostly focusing on the birth of his first child in a few weeks, plans to remain a part of the video game industry.

"Games have been so good to me, and Im delighted to have the time to give back," he writes. "Im a member of several game industry boards, and Im proud to serve as an advocate for our art in Washington. Im considering seats on a few company and advisory boards, as well as options for teaching at one of the world-class universities in the North Carolina Triangle area."\

First Rod Ferguson, then CliffyB, and now Mike Capps. What the f*ck is going on at EPIC these days? All their talent is just up and quitting. Looks like what happened with Rare before Microsoft bought them. A lot of core talent jumped ship before that buy out, and the Rare that Microsoft bought was significantly different than the one that partnered with Nintendo as a result. Now we have no proof that is hapenning to EPIC, but it looks awfully familiar.

With all of their talent leaving, one wonders if EPIC will still be a major creative force in the industry beyond the Unreal Engine.

What say you, System Wars? Will EPIC continue to remain one of the most important development studios in the industry, or will this exodus of talent hurt them? Are we seeing the beginning of the end of another talented studio, or what?

Sound off, guys.

#2 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

This doesn't look good.
You can't just replace guys like that....

I wonder what the hell is going on down there.

#3 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26224 posts) -

Microsoft buyout inc. They're jumping ship while they still can.

#4 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8041 posts) -

hmm.. sounds bad, hopefully it's not something that will impact the quality of their engines and/or products

#5 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
Watch'em roll in and watch'em roll out, I think they can be replaced, besides I totaly encourage Mike's decision, if your gona screw up your kids then atleast do it properly.
#6 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

Epic only ever made 2 good games anyway, both were Quake clones

#7 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

Epic only ever made 2 good games anyway, both were Quake clones

HaloinventedFPS

dogslapsman.gif

#8 Posted by narutosup (1572 posts) -

Not really a lose. The studio will be able to continue to make generic shooters and passed it off as originality to casuals.

#9 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Good question, what is going on at Epic?
#10 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

This doesn't look good.

Sagem28

Epic makes the UE. Do they need those people for the UE projects?

I think the reason John Carmack made himself to indespensible to id (and gaming industry in general) is because he knows game creation down to the hardware that makes the "1"s and "0"s. Whereas these guys . . . well, I can't speak to what they did bc I have no idea.

#11 Posted by DarkLink77 (31762 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

This doesn't look good.

wakefulness

I think the reason John Carmack made himself to indespensible to id (and gaming industry in general) is because he knows game creation down to the hardware that makes the "1"s and "0"s. Whereas these guys . . . well, I can't speak to what they did bc I have no idea.

The main programmer for the Unreal Engine is Tim Sweeney. He's still there. These guys actually worked on making EPIC's internal titles.
#12 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

ChubbyGuy40

If Microsoft bought Epic, would what prevent Epic from licensing the Unreal engine to other developers?

#13 Posted by reynal1287 (378 posts) -

The 2 bigs of epic are gone.I hope next gen gears  games don't suffer much because of this.

#14 Posted by DarkLink77 (31762 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

BPoole96

If Microsoft bought Epic, would what prevent Epic from licensing the Unreal engine to other developers?

Microsoft's say-so. But I'll wager they'd give it because the Unreal Engine is a license to print money.
#15 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

Not really a lose. The studio will be able to continue to make generic shooters and passed it off as originality to casuals.

narutosup
The Liandri Conflict was full of originality. Unfortunatly it had too high of a learning curve for your average Halo fan who's only idea of complexity was a Battle Rifle/Plasma Pistol combo.
#16 Posted by musalala (2231 posts) -

ChubbyGuy40

This I suspect.

#17 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

This doesn't look good.

DarkLink77

The main programmer for the Unreal Engine is Tim Sweeney. He's still there. These guys actually worked on making EPIC's internal titles.

Yeah, EPIC should mainly be in the business of licensing out UE4 (and beyond), IMHO. It's making them serious bank. 

#18 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

DarkLink77

Microsoft's say-so. But I'll wager they'd give it because the Unreal Engine is a license to print money.

That's true, but at the same time UE is the most popular game engine, and a lot of devs are accustomed to it, which could lead devs to go for MS's console if their most familiar engine to work with is exclusive to that console
#19 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

musalala

This I suspect.

They could jump ship anyway. Just ask the Stamper Brothers. I doubt a buyout is coming or else Epic wouldn't have just called the PS4 the ideal next gen gaming platform.
#20 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

DarkLink77

They did the same thing with Skype. So, something tells me it's not too crazy to imagine a world where MS owns the major (commercial) middleware vendor in all of gaming. Plus, how many UE4 liscenses have Epic given out to the ratio of those devs who have asked for UE4 (to date)? Hmmm.

#21 Posted by DarkLink77 (31762 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

That's true, but at the same time UE is the most popular game engine, and a lot of devs are accustomed to it, which could lead devs to go for MS's console if their most familiar engine to work with is exclusive to that console

No one's going to give up multiplatform releases for an engine in this day and age, especially when it's so easy to license an engine from another company.
#22 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -
casual gaming and the dumbing down. most dont want it.
#23 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

casual gaming and the dumbing down. most dont want it.darksusperia

You mean smart people who like video games for them don't want it. What constitutes a smart game, than?

#24 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]casual gaming and the dumbing down. most dont want it.wakefulness

You mean smart people who like video games for them don't want it. What constitutes a smart game, than?

FINISH HIM ! ! ! (I'm bored)
#25 Posted by sukraj (23472 posts) -

This is terribble news.:cry:

#26 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

They're obviously jumping ship as MS either have an impending buyout looming or an indefinite contract with Epic to make Gears of War until the end of time because MS have not got one creative bone i their f*cking bodies.

They're worming their way out just like Bungie did because they don't want to be condemned to make the same game in the same game series FOREVER.

I can almost guarantee that's it. God, MS are a really awful company when it comes to gaming (not incl. the early PC days).

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7970 posts) -
I'm hyping UT Kinect on the 720 AA.
#28 Posted by KiZZo1 (3965 posts) -

What's happening?

They are dealing with M$ ... you either escape like Bungie or crumble like Rare and Lionhead ...

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (41962 posts) -
I'm more surprised by the fact that nextgenjoke hasn't started posting yet.
#30 Posted by getyeryayasout (7970 posts) -
I'm more surprised by the fact that nextgenjoke hasn't started posting yet.freedomfreak
To make his posts even better try reading them like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. I bet he's a toothpick counting machine.
#31 Posted by jg4xchamp (49321 posts) -
I think the notion that 3 dudes leaving a pretty successful studio will be the death of them is absurd. Especially since Cliffy B was the only one of those 3 that was really a game director. I think Epic will be fine so long as they get away from Gears of War and are ready to do something new.
#32 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28454 posts) -

They're obviously jumping ship as MS either have an impending buyout looming or an indefinite contract with Epic to make Gears of War until the end of time because MS have not got one creative bone i their f*cking bodies.

They're worming their way out just like Bungie did because they don't want to be condemned to make the same game in the same game series FOREVER.

I can almost guarantee that's it. God, MS are a really awful company when it comes to gaming (not incl. the early PC days).

balfe1990
lol and look at what bungie did make when they left......an fps with almost the same story concept.
#33 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Working with M$ does that.
#34 Posted by Krelian-co (12164 posts) -

ChubbyGuy40

#35 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
*has no sh!ts to give* I played a little UT03/04 and the first two Gears games... but don't really have anything else invested in the company. Sometimes people feel the need to move on to find work elsewhere once it starts becoming a grind. I know the feeling (recently got a drastically new job), I don't blame them.
#36 Posted by darksusperia (6943 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]casual gaming and the dumbing down. most dont want it.wakefulness

what? I think you've got me wrong. they've left cause they are tired of making easy games... hence "the dumbing down"
#37 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25996 posts) -

ChubbyGuy40

this is the only explanation.

#38 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -

I can tell you exactly what ruined them.

MS consistenly throwing money at them, not allowing them to be creative in anyway.

And the studio doing what they needed to to survive. I'm calling it right now. 

At E3 2013 we'll see gears 4 as a launch titles made by people can fly.

#39 Posted by lamprey263 (24704 posts) -
he phased out his exit, this isn't the kind of departure we'd see if something more dramatic happened
#40 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

Well, if you went from the magnificent Unreal Tournament (2004) to the peasantly Gears of War...I'd take my leave too.
Cliffy leaving was just a sign that working with Microsoft kills any creative talent they had, now they're jumping ship too leave their reputation intact.

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

UE4 is all I really care about when it comes to Epic. I have no feelings towards gears or UT so as long as Tim is still there it's all good in my mind

#42 Posted by silversix_ (15323 posts) -
EA is buying them in 7 months.
#43 Posted by Tessellation (8807 posts) -
Cliff B didn't leave just because of Epic,the guy took a break that's all.
#44 Posted by Heil68 (46182 posts) -
First Cliffy, now Mike, shows what working with Ms can do to a once fabled studio. :(
#45 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -
i dont think so right now, think Capps seems like he more wants to focus on family life right now over being part of the industry which is a stressful job.Just because a few people left doesnt always mean a bad things incoming most of the time its just part of life and sometimes they all happen at once.
#46 Posted by Animal-Mother (27008 posts) -
i dont think so right now, think Capps seems like he more wants to focus on family life right now over being part of the industry which is a stressful job.Just because a few people left doesnt always mean a bad things incoming most of the time its just part of life and sometimes they all happen at once.razgriz_101
I can understand it, but those seemed like the key people.
#47 Posted by FinalFighters (1759 posts) -

ChubbyGuy40
#48 Posted by MBirdy88 (8590 posts) -
Epic died when they stopped making good arena shooters and just settled with a graphic whoring casual TPS.
#49 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

UE4 is all I really care about when it comes to Epic. I have no feelings towards gears or UT so as long as Tim is still there it's all good in my mind

seanmcloughlin
Tim seems to be an ass kisser though, swinging from Microsofts appendages. Guys like Mike Capps, Cliffy B and Joe Graf used to be very outspoken about the way Microsoft conducts business with things like charging for DLC. Tim Sweeny on the other hand comes to the defense of not only their DLC decisions but locking DLC on the disc you already paid for. Now he can lie and claim its DLC they would not have made otherwise but we can't forget that Epic is a company who used to load like 50 maps just of the retail copy of a game with free DLC to follow.
#50 Posted by timbers_WSU (5753 posts) -

I am guessing Microsoft bought them out or signed another Gears deal. Waste of money. They were better off buying EA or 2K.