MicroTransactions in RPGS wtf..really SE!

#1 Edited by Midnightshade29 (5533 posts) -

I just got Bravely Default as it seems like a good FF5 type game and FF5 is my favorite Final Fantasy due to the job system. Well about 20 minutes in and they are trying to sell me sp

SP = a way to by pass the turn based system and take as many moves as you want...basically a god mode cheat! wtf!! All for putting the 3ds in sleep mode for 8 hours (there goes battery life) or buying them with real world money.

I don't remember anyone complaining about this when the game launched...why not? This is disgusting and Nintendo should of never allowed it as it is a slippery slope. Its messed up that they allow pay to win, but don't allow you to re-download e-shop games... greedy, is what i think.

Imagine if all games had this "pay to cheat" mode... it would suck.

My question is do you need to use these "SP" to beat the game? If they designed it so its too hard to beat without it then I will return the game right now. Screw that. Even if its not designed that way, what is to stop other devs and greedy publishers from implementing this and designing games around buying cheats, and making the games too hard to win otherwise.

Does anyone have any details on if you need to use this or is this just for people with no patience or something (why those people would be playing a JRPG in the first place i don't get! ) .

Was anyone mad about this? I don't remember anyone saying anything about it. So much for Nintendo taking the high road.. they should be discouraging this kind of thing or not allowing it completly.

Next mario, pay for your 1-ups.. Pay 5 dollars to warp to world 8. Pay 10 to automatically beat bowser... I can see it now...wtf @$%#!!!

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (43040 posts) -

Nobody brought it up because it changes absolutely nothing. The game isn't hard. It never requires you to use that.

I forgot about it entirely.

#3 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5533 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Nobody brought it up because it changes absolutely nothing. The game isn't hard. It never requires you to use that.

I forgot about it entirely.

Ok, well thats good to know. I still don't like that it's in an rpg at all though. RPGS are supposed to warp you into a different world. All these things do is take you out of the game and bring you back into the real world where money is required to do anything...

What is to stop SE or other devs from putting systems like this into other games, and then designing them so they are needed to win?

I did notice the game is easy. Why on earth does my main character have 160 hp at level 1 and I am fighting monsters with 18hp and all do 1 damage? Was this game made for little kids or "mainstream' gamers who don't know rpgs? This isn't a iphone game, I don't know why SE is putting in Iphone and casual mechanics into a true handheld rpg...

Does the game get harder latter on, or is it always a cake walk?

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (90577 posts) -

So there is still the option of playing the game normally without this paid cheat mode?

Why is this an issue again?

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (43040 posts) -
@Midnightshade29 said:

Ok, well thats good to know. I still don't like that it's in an rpg at all though. RPGS are supposed to warp you into a different world. All these things do is take you out of the game and bring you back into the real world where money is required to do anything...

What is to stop SE or other devs from putting systems like this into other games, and then designing them so they are needed to win?

I did notice the game is easy. Why on earth does my main character have 160 hp at level 1 and I am fighting monsters with 18hp and all do 1 damage? Was this game made for little kids or "mainstream' gamers who don't know rpgs? This isn't a iphone game, I don't know why SE is putting in Iphone and casual mechanics into a true handheld rpg...

Does the game get harder latter on, or is it always a cake walk?

Well, there's the occasional boss that might be a bit tougher than your average fight. I don't remember having a tough time with it. Not to mention you can summon friends to attack bosses for you. Abilink. Shit like that.

But yes, all in all, it's a phone game.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (60989 posts) -

Don't use them? The game is balanced for no microtransactions, they are literally there for people who are too lazy to invest time into it. Why are you complaining about the option? It's not like they're forced upon you, like in, say, Forza 5.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (60989 posts) -

Also, LOL at how somehow this is Nintendo's fault and how you are wrapping them into this. It wouldn't be a MidnightShade thread if there was no implicit Sony fellation.

#8 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5533 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Also, LOL at how somehow this is Nintendo's fault and how you are wrapping them into this. It wouldn't be a MidnightShade thread if there was no implicit Sony fellation.

haha... I didn't mention sony once... I mentioned nintendo as it's on their platform, I figured they would not be for this kind of thing.

And I am more concerned about other games with devs and publihsers with no scruples duplicating this idea, but making it so there is a requirement for using real world money. I also like my rpgs to be immersive, not remind me that the real world exists.

As for the game, i am really digging it, outside of the Microtransaction bs.. FF5 was my favorite after all.

Also does anyone who beat the game know if it gets harder? I don't understand why I have almost 200 hit points and am battling monsters with 18hp that do 1 point of damage. I know it's the start of the game but damn, I could see this being the case if I had 18hp as well. As it is I haven't come close to being in trouble. Should I play this on hard instead of normal?

#9 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26863 posts) -

While I dont care for BD I dont see the problem.If you can get pass the game without it its not a big deal.

#10 Posted by Twizded (144 posts) -

Sounds like an extra option for rpg noobs.