Microsoft: Xbox One will not have removable HDD's

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by finalstar2007 (24818 posts) -
#2 Edited by R3FURBISHED (9906 posts) -

"My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in though."

Meanwhile, Sony has confirmed that you cannot use an external harddrive to install PlayStation 4 games.

Sucks for people, like me, who want to go fully digital next gen.

What Microsoft needs to do is expand the parameters of their cloud storage and what you can and cannot save to the cloud.

#3 Edited by shawn30 (4250 posts) -

External is fine by me. Great deals on 1tb these days.

#4 Posted by Senor_Kami (8226 posts) -

I'm fine with this as external support is a way better option. You can add space rather than the PS3 thing where you maybe buy a 1TB drive but only gain 500GB in extra space.

#5 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Very old news. No surprise from TC.

#6 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

Really that upset that sony doesnt support externals

I think 500 gb will last and external support which is only avail on xbo will be accessible in a few months. Oh yeah xbl offers unlimited space as well.

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (45632 posts) -

Id rather have an external HD

#8 Edited by finalstar2007 (24818 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

"My understanding is that feature will not be there at launch because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list. I don't know when it will come in though."

Meanwhile, Sony has confirmed that you cannot use an external harddrive to install PlayStation 4 games.

What Microsoft needs to do is expand the parameters of their cloud storage and what you can and cannot save to the cloud.

Hey if MS is going to include it at a later date then with sony if a lot of people ask for it they will include it at a later date like Microsoft ( after less than a day they already going to look into adding Media Server into the PS4 at a later date ).

These companies listen to people like MS did with their whole major 180 change

#9 Posted by clyde46 (43252 posts) -

Counter DC thread?

#10 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Really old news. And I'd rather use an external HDD with the 500GB internal as well. I have my external hooked up to my 360 that I use for media.

#11 Posted by Obviously_Right (5085 posts) -

Awful. You'd think for $499 this would be available at launch.

#12 Edited by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Really old news. And I'd rather use an external HDD with the 500GB internal as well. I have my external hooked up to my 360 that I use for media.

I use my Xbox 360 as a media player too since it has no games.

#13 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7886 posts) -

I am not to sure but do external transfer as fast as internal? I mean with usb3.0 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference right?

#14 Edited by MajesticShea (695 posts) -

pretty sad really the lems have resorted to claim ownage over media features.

#15 Edited by FinalFighters (1302 posts) -

i prefer internal HDD's..i dont like the idea of having a hard drive ( or any kind of peripherals for that matter) sticking out the side of my consoles/PC via a cable.

#16 Posted by clyde46 (43252 posts) -

I am not to sure but do external transfer as fast as internal? I mean with usb3.0 you wouldn't be able to tell the difference right?

I used to record FRAPS footage, 1080p at 60FPS on a USB 3.0 enclosure and I notice ZERO lag.

#17 Edited by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

I guess you'll be using the PS4 as a media player too since it has no games either.

#18 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7886 posts) -

@clyde46: I didn't mean video I ment runnin games off of. I run games off of usb2.0 drive on wiiu and it seems ok other than little slow boot up of system icons. But again that's the wiiu

#19 Edited by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

If I had to choose I'd rather have an option to change internal drive, so thank you Sony for that option.

#20 Edited by clyde46 (43252 posts) -

@clyde46: I didn't mean video I ment runnin games off of. I run games off of usb2.0 drive on wiiu and it seems ok other than little slow boot up of system icons. But again that's the wiiu

Well, recording video completely max's out the harddrives I/O so running games from it will present no issue.

#21 Posted by KiZZo1 (3962 posts) -

So sad :(

#22 Edited by AutoPilotOn (7886 posts) -

@Heil68: I'd rather change internal too but external drives are so cheap now. Also what about all your downloads and installs? You have to reinstall/download? That would make just adding external be better.

#23 Edited by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

@Heil68: I'd rather change internal too but external drives are so cheap now. Also what about all your downloads and installs? You have to reinstall/download? That would make just adding external be better.

Well internal are cheap as well. HD space has never been an issue with me for consoles and even though games are bigger and so are the installs, I'll just delete games if needed to install new ones. I could always reinstall a game if I wanted to play it again.

#24 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

@RR360DD: so you'd rather have 2 external bricks? Lems, what is wrong with you guys? Those ms chains must be tough to break.

#25 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7886 posts) -

@Heil68: lol I hate reinstalling though. I like having a huge digital library to scroll through play any. Not to mention if it's downloaded having to redownload and use time and bandwidth caps up. I'd at least like backup of install file on external.

#26 Edited by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

@RR360DD: so you'd rather have 2 external bricks? Lems, what is wrong with you guys? Those ms chains must be tough to break.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I have a pretty huge entertainment centre.

Certainly beats having to back up the original 500GB and then install a new one and copy everything over. Much easier to just plug in an external.

#27 Posted by k2theswiss (16577 posts) -

old... but i take ms way. putting 1tb into the ps4 only gives you a 500gb increase because your taking way 500gb that you paid for

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (54087 posts) -

We've known this since E3

#29 Posted by Wasdie (49252 posts) -

Even if they don't go external they'll still have to install the majority of games. The blu-ray drives are still too slow for searching so it's just easier to install games onto the harddrive.

#30 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1806 posts) -

Lem do not care. Ugly xbox, power brick, ext drive, 360 for BC, 360 power brick. Plenty of room for box and wire in parent basement.

#31 Posted by superclocked (5807 posts) -

I hope that the PS4 gets an update that allows external hard drives. They're cheaper, and they come in much bigger sizes, too. An external 1TB drive is only $69 at Newegg. A 3TB drive is only $119...

#32 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

I hope that the PS4 gets an update that allows external hard drives. They're cheaper, and they come in much bigger sizes, too. An external 1TB drive is only $69 at Newegg. A 3TB drive is only $119...

How are external drives cheaper? Shouldn't a bare drive cost less than a drive with a case and a cable? Makes no sense.

#33 Edited by superclocked (5807 posts) -

@1oh1nine1 said:

@superclocked said:

How are external drives cheaper? Shouldn't a bare drive cost less than a drive with a case and a cable? Makes no sense.

The Playstation uses tiny little hard drives. External drives are dirt cheap. I don't know why 3.5" external drives are about the same price as internal...

#34 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20478 posts) -

Id rather just take out my internal and put a 1TB drive inside than have an external, but to each his own.

#35 Posted by bumsonfire (225 posts) -

we might not be aloud to remove the HHD, but we can buy another Hard Drive to place in it.

#36 Edited by gago-gago (9075 posts) -

With the power of the Cloud and external storage support, I don't think this will be a problem.

#37 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

Why can't we have both? there is always some feature missing in either one of them.

#38 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2571 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

External is fine by me. Great deals on 1tb these days.

Exactly. 500 gb should be enough for me until external support is added.

#39 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9192 posts) -

pre-order canceled

#40 Posted by Multipass35 (295 posts) -

Don't need it. Have unlimited and free cloud storage. Ps4 no such thing until 2015 or later.

#41 Edited by Netherscourge (16327 posts) -

Does it really matter though?

With mostly 720p games on the XB1, the HDD won't fill up as fast as it would if it had mostly 1080p games.

720p art is smaller than 1080p art.

#42 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16373 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

If I had to choose I'd rather have an option to change internal drive, so thank you Sony for that option.

That's how I see it too. I would rather have the option to upgrade my internal over adding an external. An external is just one more device taking up space in my entertainment stand.

#43 Posted by stereointegrity (10658 posts) -

boy this is old news

#44 Posted by clr84651 (5269 posts) -

@Senor_Kami:

Right, because being able to upgrade the internal HDD and able to use an external HDD isn't better.

#45 Edited by Senor_Kami (8226 posts) -

@clr84651: You can't use external and when it's internal or external, external is a significantly better option for a variety of obvious reasons.

#46 Posted by Karnage108 (2400 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Go buy some then.

#47 Edited by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

Even if they don't go external they'll still have to install the majority of games. The blu-ray drives are still too slow for searching so it's just easier to install games onto the harddrive.

Even the slower bluray in the PS3 didn't require to install the whole game to play ... just a small portion, being 10 gb at max .... not 45 gb !!!

#48 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

That's smelly that it doesn't support it immediately.

But given you'll start with a vacuous empty hard disk, that's OK.

Clear the stench Microsoft and use "Smell Away®", a patented Smell Remover that adds support for external USB Mass Storage Devices to the Xbox One. Smell build up occurs on the terminals of USB ports which aren't sufficiently utilised. By adding support for mass storage, the end user will poke things in and out, clearing away the smelly debris.

#49 Posted by KarateeeChop (4588 posts) -

the Xbox One wouldn't need more than 100gb anyway with its advanced compression algorithms and unlimited cloud storage

#50 Posted by bbkkristian (14648 posts) -

So, Xbox one and Wii U wont have upgradable HDD while PS4 wont have external flash memory. They all suck.