MS to Reveal Xbox VR Headset at E3 2015 Update-Dev Kits sent

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

I would assume this would work in combination with Kinect thus making Kinect somewhat of a must have for X1 VR but I don't see that in this news? Hmm, ya think it's an altogether separate device? That would seem a dumb thing to do IMO but it's early yet so I'm sure more specific news will leak out throughout the next year.

So SW, are you hyped / interested in VR and ready for VR wars? :P

The Story.

----

UPDATED...

[UPDATE] VRFocus and Techradar report that several game studios have received Xbox One VR development kits. None of the studios were named, unfortunately.

Microsoft to Reveal Xbox VR Headset at E3 2015, Report Claims

Long-rumored device to finally be shown off during next summer's tradeshow, according to sources.

by Eddie Makuch on December 19, 2014

Microsoft's rumored Fortazela concept
Microsoft's rumored Fortazela concept

Microsoft will reveal its long-rumored Xbox virtual reality headset device during the company's E3 2015 briefing next summer, according to a new Digitimes report that cites "upstream supply chain" sources. The summer tradeshow is scheduled for June 16-18, 2015.

The site's sources went on to say that development on the Xbox VR headset, which will presumably work with the Xbox One, will be handled by the same team that runs Microsoft's Surface tablet line. A name for the device was not mentioned.

Microsoft's Xbox VR headset is separate from its Google Glass-like "Fortazela" project, which first leaked in June 2012. Digitimes adds that development on this project (pictured, top) is ongoing, though no further details about features or functionality are available.

Microsoft has been open in saying that virtual reality is something the company has been experimenting with for a long time now.

Competitor Sony announced its own virtual reality device, Project Morpheus, during GDC in March 2014, though the company hasn't said when it plans to launch the PlayStation 4 device or what it will cost. Meanwhile, the Facebook-owned Oculus Rift headset is also deep into development for PC.

Microsoft's mysterious VR project has been in development for years, and the company even gave a demonstration of the tech to Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Grand Theft Auto parent publisher Take-Two Interactive.

We have reached out to Microsoft for comment on this report, and will update this post with anything we hear back.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

VR is seriously a waste. Unless MS is planning to leverafe Minecraft alongside with it. Even then i don't know.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice

@deadline-zero0 said:

VR is seriously a waste. Unless MS is planning to leverafe Minecraft alongside with it. Even then i don't know.

Hey, hey, hey nice take on this, hmm perhaps there is something more to them buying the Dev. gotta say, that's intriguing and makes some sense. We shall see.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Call me old-fashioned but I'd still like to see someone take a risk on a holographic tabletop style system.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice

@Heirren said:

Call me old-fashioned but I'd still like to see someone take a risk on a holographic tabletop style system.

Yeah, I remember the old days when some arcades had a machine or two using the tech, can't recall the name of the game and was it pretty basic but it was cool. Seems around the same time that Dragons Lair was a big deal. That was seemingly a couple decades ago so I'm kinda with ya on this, wonder why it never went any further.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Hey, hey, hey nice take on this, hmm perhaps there is something more to them buying the Dev. gotta say, that's intriguing and makes some sense. We shall see.

Yeah, but then other issues, like how VR headsets affect vision in the long run. We're still doing proper tests.

Plus, while kids may want it, almost no parent is going to buy their kid a 400 dollar console plus a 200 dollar headset just to play minecraft. I mean, xb1 over ps4 for MC? Sure. But unless that headset is cheap, i don't see any of them selling many.

Remember, the Wii motion controlls came with the console and it launched for very cheap.

This is a different situation.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22662 Posts

VR feels like it'll be one of those peripherals I'll try for a few minutes and say, "my god what am I doing...." same way I felt when I tried kinect adventures. Maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Doubt it. They only started talking about it once Morpheus showed up. It'll be that Fortaleza shit as a way to try and relaunch the Kinect, and we'll all laugh and laugh and laugh.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

These VRs won't become mainstream until next generation. These are designed for 4k gaming and even on PC it'll a while until it becomes something normal. In my opinion gaming is about sitting on chair or couch and playing the game with mouse keyboard or controller on monitor or TVs. I don't think that's changing anytime soon. When people get back home, tired after the long busy day, they just want to play the game instead of wearing machines until we get Mass Effect style of Visors.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@Heirren said:

Yeah, I remember the old days when some arcades had a machine or two using the tech, can't recall the name of the game and was it pretty basic but it was cool. Seems around the same time that Dragons Lair was a big deal. That was seemingly a couple decades ago so I'm kinda with ya on this, wonder why it never went any further.

Well, there were a few. The one I remember most was the fmv style fighting game. The issue was likely cost. Those cabinets were HUGE and only displayed maybe a square foot of image. Couple that with arcade games being able to be ported to the growing console market and that fad died fast.

Still would like to see it, especially in this day and age.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL at anything making Kinect a must have.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Didn't they learn from Kinect, the joke of the industry? *sigh* another peripheral to take away from core that will hopefully die and MS will be forced to drop, much like Kinect.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

@Heirren said:

@SecretPolice said:

@Heirren said:

Well, there were a few. The one I remember most was the fmv style fighting game. The issue was likely cost. Those cabinets were HUGE and only displayed maybe a square foot of image. Couple that with arcade games being able to be ported to the growing console market and that fad died fast.

Still would like to see it, especially in this day and age.

I recalled the games since I posted, not the name but Now I remember it to be a sorta gun slinger game using a couple of cowboy looking guys lol.I don't recall a fighting game though but w/e, agreed, would like to see what can be done these days.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SecretPolice

@Heil68 said:

Didn't they learn from Kinect, the joke of the industry? *sigh* another peripheral to take away from core that will hopefully die and MS will be forced to drop, much like Kinect.

I suppose but you need to include both Sony and Valve since they've been working on VR for VG as well. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68

@SecretPolice said:

@Heil68 said:

I suppose but you need to include both Sony and Valve since they've been working on VR for VG as well. :P

Yup. VR and motion control gaming to me is in no way fun or entertaining. Not to mention additional expense of hardware that seems to only last for the gen its in then which ends up in the landfill.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

@Heil68 said:

@SecretPolice said:

@Heil68 said:

Yup. VR and motion control gaming to me is in no way fun or entertaining. Not to mention additional expense of hardware that seems to only last for the gen its in then which ends up in the landfill.

I can agree on principle I suppose but I do like when companies take risks and push modern, emerging tech eh, sometimes they come up with amazing results and other times, not so much.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68

@SecretPolice said:

@Heil68 said:

@SecretPolice said:

@Heil68 said:

I can agree on principle I suppose but I do like when companies take risks and push modern, emerging tech eh, sometimes they come up with amazing results and other times, not so much.

I'm just tired of buying a console, then they all introduce all these extra hardware add ons. My hatred for this goes back to Sega CD and 32X. I did try Rift for PC at comic con in 2013 and I cant see wearing anything like that for a extended period of time.

Taking risks is fine, but for the last what 10 years it revolves around motion controls and I dont want to flail my arms and legs why I game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice

@Heil68:

I'm onboard with those sentiments and can relate, who'd a thunk it? tehe :P

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I think that VR goes along the same lines of 3D TV, kinect, PS Move, etc...completely useless and doesn't provide anything more to gaming. Completely useless to me and won't spend any money on it.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

No its not.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

sony leading the way again

#sdc

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the battle of shit that will be gathering dust in your closet heats up!

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I always said that VR would work best with Kinect to track body and head movements.

Imagine a race game were you turn your head to look out different windows in a car and to look up at the rear view mirror.

Bring it on!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Yeah, I always thought it was a gimmick that wouldn't catch on, much like 3D. Not really excited to hear about any of those headsets.

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tighaman
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts

Wonder why everything is split into two? The CPU is split into two, the ram is split into two, the GPU is split into two!

Is it split Crossfire design, SLI, or VR? Split for each eye? Only time will tell .....stay tuned!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Aren't we still waiting on the Cloud and DX12?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice

@Tighaman:

By late 2015, will be ummmm, firing on all cylinders, bank. :P

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

If done right VR can be very cool

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

wow, they're ready to show it off at E3, already?? i'm guessing they mean on the big stage, during their presentation. wow...they undercut Sony big time with this.

Sony were the ones that announced theirs first. were the ones with most, if not all, the VR buzz lately...MS didnt even seem to have a VR device in the works really. no real news of it or showings to the public like Sony had. but if Microsoft ends up showing one/theirs off on the E3 stage, before Sony could get theirs on stage....hell of a undercut.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

MSoft must want me to forget the bill off goods they sold to me with Kinect for The One.

Not just no, but hell no.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

2015 Year of the VR am confirmed? Oculus, Morpheus and now MS's answer.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shewgenja

I actually welcome this. VR really does need to be the next thing. Not just for gaming, but for TV and movies as well. We've been passively sitting in front of the boob tube since the 1950's and it's about time things went to the next level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I actually welcome this. VR really does need to be the next thing. Not just for gaming, but for TV and movies as well. We've been passively sitting in front of the boob tube since the 1950's and it's about time things went to the next level.

Not sure if I want that. Of course it would be amazing if we could watch football (European) by the side line, but I'm not sure I do not want to experience what is happening outside my VR helmet. A bit of a scary feeling surrounding that.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

It's not going to work for every game, so why not just save it until next gen? That's my problem with this VR stuff, devs aren't designing their games with VR in mind. Might be indie games, minecraft type crap that make the most use of this as an afterthought. Games won't really take advantage of this stuff.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I hope VR becomes popular.

It's the biggest change in gaming since the jump from 2D to 3D.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Desmonic said:

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Desmonic said:

you think it'll come in 2015? I'm thinking 2016.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shewgenja

@FastRobby said:

@Shewgenja said:

Not sure if I want that. Of course it would be amazing if we could watch football (European) by the side line, but I'm not sure I do not want to experience what is happening outside my VR helmet. A bit of a scary feeling surrounding that.

Eh, people already blame TV for people "checking out" so I'm sure VR will be no different. The payoff will be a much more immersive entertainment environment.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SecretPolice: Could be cool, but will probably not be...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

@Tighaman:

It means nothing at all, it just means the Xbox One only has 12 CU's For any work, which is weak

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tighaman

@xboxiphoneps3:

Lol its not how many CUs its how its packed and do you have the bandwidth to saturate them but I'm sure you already knew that.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Tighaman said:

Wonder why everything is split into two? The CPU is split into two, the ram is split into two, the GPU is split into two!

Is it split Crossfire design, SLI, or VR? Split for each eye? Only time will tell .....stay tuned!

Your buns are also split into 2 i guess that make them special...

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@tymeservesfate said:

wow, they're ready to show it off at E3, already?? i'm guessing they mean on the big stage, during their presentation. wow...they undercut Sony big time with this.

Sony were the ones that announced theirs first. were the ones with most, if not all, the VR buzz lately...MS didnt even seem to have a VR device in the works really. no real news of it or showings to the public like Sony had. but if Microsoft ends up showing one/theirs off on the E3 stage, before Sony could get theirs on stage....hell of a undercut.

Sony showed their in several presentations and press saw it to were have you been.?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-sony-project-morpheus-vr-headset-for-ps4-hands-on

When MS show their it would be more than a year since Sony shower theirs.

@Tighaman said:

@xboxiphoneps3:

Lol its not how many CUs its how its packed and do you have the bandwidth to saturate them but I'm sure you already knew that.

No is 12 CU which are the same as on PS4 but fewer,and bandwidth mean shit when you have a weak ass GPU,the XBO has just 32MB of fast ram the rest is shit slow ass DDR3.

The 7790 is more powerful and has 96Gb's so yeah the xbox one can has 300GB/s that doesn't mean it will work like a damn R290..

The 660Ti has 100GB/s less in bandwidth than the 7950 and yet it perform the same,and has less bandwidth than a 7850 to and it smokes the 7850,bandwidth without power is a like having a 5 lanes race track but your car is a damn Geo Metro,no matter how much room you have to race your car is not a race car...

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

I can't wait for the 10 fps 720p games

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Great another Projectnatalfan versus tormentos thread

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

These consoles are nowhere near powerful enough to run legitimate virtual reality. For a legitimate experience you need to run beyond 1080p/60 or else it will make your head hurt after a while. So a novel concept ahead of its time because if a 980gtx would struggle what can the Bonaire do?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I want play a realistic parachute game in VR, im afraid of hights so this can be an very scary experience:P

Tighaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Tighaman

@tormentos:

why you always the one responding to my post and you not even close to these fields? You have no idea what you be taking about you just copy and paste shit. you lame, your copy and paste antics are lame, go back to your lame r9 270 gaming pc, and your lame ass hot running ps4, inside your lame ass basement, I know you are lonely and you be needing someone to talk to be I don't roll that way, so stop swinging on my nutt sack.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
@deadline-zero0 said:

I think it will support some form of Minecraft in the future. I can't wait to see what they show and what games will support it. I could see Kinect Sport Rivals supporting this. I still don't think this will be ready until 2016 though. I would think Sony would get theirs out before Microsoft, but we'll see.