Microsoft to announce DirectX 12 on GDC

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Xplode_games (516 posts) -

It matters not.

#102 Posted by Jag85 (4354 posts) -

From what I've heard before, DX12 is apparently being designed to address some of the X1's RAM shortfalls.

#103 Posted by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

I have a feeling this has something to do more with Mobile.

What's this called? An API? API for Windows 9 and the future of mobile devices for 3D, a Windows/MS solution.

#104 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Well folks, time to throw your Titans and 780 Ti's to the trash bin :-P

The session promises to reveal "improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware".

The last significant version of Microsoft's longstanding graphics API, DirectX 11.2, was introduced on October 18, 2013, adding Windows 8.1 support to DX11, which was originally launched Windows 7 and Vista rigs in October 2009.

More here.

Why would you throw them away? After dx12 launches it will be a year or two before even 50% of PC games released that year take advantage of it. You don't seem to understand that game engines are used for long periods of time. Developers aren't going to invest in one and suddenly drop it just because a new api is out.

Even then the PC thrives on indie and no name games that will never take advantage of them.

So I couldn't care less really because it wont matter for years to come.

#105 Posted by IgGy621985 (4602 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Why would you throw them away? After dx12 launches it will be a year or two before even 50% of PC games released that year take advantage of it. You don't seem to understand that game engines are used for long periods of time. Developers aren't going to invest in one and suddenly drop it just because a new api is out.

Ah, another one...

Dude,

it was a JOKE ;-) Get some sense for humour. Or something.

#106 Posted by Phazevariance (10932 posts) -

Snapdragon? Awesome, my Nexus 5 will be happy.

#107 Posted by LustForSoul (5836 posts) -

Hope Mantle goes big.

#108 Posted by always_explicit (2657 posts) -

Xbox 1 setting up to overtake the competition. They told us before launch this console was designed to stay relevant for the entire gen!!

A rushed launch forced the X1 to be underpowered and with less features than intended. Now the tables are turning.

#109 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3266 posts) -

Hope Mantle goes big.

It probably won't. Ideally you want to be as vendor agnostic as possible.