Microsoft to announce DirectX 12 on GDC

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16263 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

does this mean games will be look and play better then? I have not got a clue about stuff like this. will it be on the XB1? if anyone can be bothered to give me a brief idiots guide, i'll be interested / greatfull.

I'm an idiot myself when it comes to this stuff. But from what I understand new DirectX software and hardware that supports it allow for better looking & new effects in games. So better looking games.

You do need hardware that supports it, so PC gamers will have to get a DX12 graphics card that supports it and Xbone and PS4 have graphics cards that support DX11 (or 11.2) so won't be able to do those effects or at least not to the full extent.

thanks dude, i wonder if Xone could be updated via teh cloud?

You're welcome, and no :P

But PCs have always received new DirectX updates and effects during console's lifetimes. And it has never been a problem for consoles to emulate those effects on weaker hardware or make games look better in a different way. Don't ask me how though, that is where my knowledge ends haha :p

#52 Posted by silversix_ (13950 posts) -

DX12 coming out under 6 months of 'next gen' consoles release. These systems are supposed to stay for another ~7 years, by that time we will have DX14... this is kinda sad

#53 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ronvalencia said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@sts106mat said:

does this mean games will be look and play better then? I have not got a clue about stuff like this. will it be on the XB1? if anyone can be bothered to give me a brief idiots guide, i'll be interested / greatfull.

I'm an idiot myself when it comes to this stuff. But from what I understand new DirectX software and hardware that supports it allow for better looking & new effects in games. So better looking games.

You do need hardware that supports it, so PC gamers will have to get a DX12 graphics card that supports it and Xbone and PS4 have graphics cards that support DX11 (or 11.2) so won't be able to do those effects or at least not to the full extent.

Xbox One's DirectX 11.X and hardware is already a superset of PC's DirectX 11.2.

Read http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/appbuilder/archive/2013/10/14/raising-the-bar-with-direct3d.aspx

The Xbox One graphics API is “Direct3D 11.x” and the Xbox One hardware provides a superset of Direct3D 11.2 functionality.

We’re also working with our ISV and IHV partners on future efforts, including bringing the lightweight runtime and tooling capabilities of the Xbox One Direct3D implementation to Windows, and identifying the next generation of advanced 3D graphics technologies.

Example of Xbox One's DirectX 11.X superiority over PC's DirectX 11.2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-microsoft-to-unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

"In addition to asynchronous compute queues, the Xbox One hardware supports two concurrent render pipes,"

Xbox One's DirectX 11.X supports AMD GCN's multiple ACE units. With PC's DirectX 11.2, AMD GCN's multiple ACE units would not be used.

Current AMD GCN goes beyond PC's DirectX 11.2 i.e. can support Xbox One's DirectX11.X superset.

NVIDIA has similar ACE unit feature with their HyperQ for GK110 (aka GeForce GTX 780/Titan/T780 Ti/ Titan BE) and GM107 "Maxwell" (aka GeForce GTX 750 Ti).

But can Direct X 11.X hardware do DirectX 12 ?

If DirectX 12 is not compatible with 2014 NVIDIA's Maxwell GPUs then there would be a massive crater in NVIDIA's financials.

Direct X 11.X already has direct access features and light weight runtime like DirectX 12.

For Xbox One's DirectX 11.X superset http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-explains-why-mantle-is-exclusive-to-pc-not-present-on-xbox-one/

“What Mantle creates for the PC is a development environment that’s *similar* to the consoles, which already offer low-level APIs, close-to-metal programming, easier development and more (vs. the complicated PC environment). By creating a more console-like developer environment, Mantle: improves time to market; reduces development costs; and allows for considerably more efficient rendering, improving performance for gamers. The console connection is made because next-gen uses Radeon, so much of the programming they’re doing for the consoles are already well-suited to a modern Radeon architecture on the desktop; that continuum is what allows Mantle to exist.”

AMD/NVIDIA doesn't usually shoot their current products by preannouncing their new GPUs with a massive product shift gap.

My guess

DirectX 12 + feature level 11_0 e.g. DirectX 11.2 + feature level 11_0 + tied resource tier 1.

DirectX 12 + feature level 11_ 1 e.g. DirectX 11.2 + feature level 11_1 + tied resource tier 2.

It's unknown if DirectX 12 would remap PC's AMD GCNs like Xbox One's GCN e.g. support for ACE units e.g. DirectX 12 + feature level (like) 11_ X.

#54 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -
@IgGy621985 said:

Well folks, time to throw your Titans and 780 Ti's to the trash bin :-P

The session promises to reveal "improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware".

The last significant version of Microsoft's longstanding graphics API, DirectX 11.2, was introduced on October 18, 2013, adding Windows 8.1 support to DX11, which was originally launched Windows 7 and Vista rigs in October 2009.

More here.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7818/low-level-graphics-api-developments-gdc-2014

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-mantle-opengl-directx-gdc-2014,26188.html

"AMD Supports Possible Lower Level DirectX"

Microsoft: “You asked us to do more,” the DirectX session reads. “You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.”

AMD: “AMD would like you to know that it supports and celebrates a direction for game development that is aligned with AMD’s vision of lower-level, ‘closer to the metal’ graphics APIs for PC gaming,” reports an AMD rep. “While industry experts expect this to take some time, developers can immediately leverage efficient API design using Mantle, and AMD is very excited to share the future of our own API with developers at this year’s Game Developers Conference.”

Notice the word console with DirectX 12 i.e. MS's current game console is Xbox One which runs on AMD GCN.

DirectX 12 is aligned with AMD's vision on "lower-level, ‘closer to the metal’ graphics APIs for PC gaming". Xbox One constant would be the clue if the current PC GPU hardware can run DirectX 12.

#55 Edited by edwardecl (2035 posts) -

I wish DirectX would fuck off and die, it's the only thing that locks me into using Windows as an operating system and it makes me sad.

#56 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@farrell2k: Yeah, Open GL 5 gonna be good hopefully.

#57 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@ronvalencia: Ron.....

OpenGL or DirectX ?

At the moment...... excluding any predictions of what DX12 will be like...... Which one do you think devs like best....atm..?

Apparently OpenGl gets a lot of slack for being more Open...... (duh)

#58 Posted by blackace (20086 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

will still be behind opengl

Take your foot out of your mouth when you speak. Better yet.... lol!!

#59 Posted by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -
#60 Edited by blackace (20086 posts) -
#61 Edited by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -
#62 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38211 posts) -

Better not be a windows 8 thing

#63 Edited by blackace (20086 posts) -

@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

Lems are always showing their ignorance

LMAO @ Wolfie BLOG. Ignorant cows using opinionate blogs for their answers.

LMAO @ Lem comment. Stupid cows.

Lol ignorance

More developers use DirectX then OpenGL and you don't know how much better DirectX 12 will be compared to Direct X11. It's like saying Apple's MAC O/S is far better then Windows 7 or 8. It probably is, but what is everyone actually using? LOL!! Yes, Ignorance. Stupid cow.

#64 Edited by lglz1337 (3116 posts) -
#65 Posted by magicalclick (22401 posts) -

DX usually takes both AMD and NVIDIA newest technologies and pick one or combine them or a new API based on the two major implementations. So, the technology is usually already there, just not in the same specs as DX12. The hardware in theory can perform large set of new features. But, I do not think developer will spend their money on it. They barely scratch the surface of DX11.2 and console finally catch up. So, I am sure they will focus on DX11.2 for now.

#66 Posted by IgGy621985 (4609 posts) -

Well, didn't expect for this thread to turn into a PC vs console 1 vs console 2 vs console 3 thread. Awesome! :-P

#67 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28344 posts) -

@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

Lol ignorance

and yet almost no one uses it....Odd that whats supposed to be so vastly better *you think so only because its a another product vs a microsoft product and not based upon any knowledge hence why you use a blog and a single developer which for a while has a streak of wanting to make their own system so they can get all the profit alone a developer that currrently runs the largest DRM scheme around DRM a scheme you've said is evil in the past* that it would be used more and by every one.

Marketing only goes so far the obviously superior product cannot be just marketed out of existence so it must mean that OpenGL just isn't that much better or at all than DirectX but because Direct X is easier to use and Microsoft provides it in almost every thing they make its used by every one.

#68 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16263 posts) -

What about windows 9 ? :P

#69 Posted by glez13 (8594 posts) -

Since this is just an announcement and who knows what GPU family will be the first to support it, it could even be a Windows 9 thing.

#70 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38211 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

What about windows 9 ? :P

@glez13 said:

Since this is just an announcement and who knows what GPU family will be the first to support it, it could even be a Windows 9 thing.

Then that might be fine if Win 9 is any good, I say don't be Win 8 because it's a piece of crap that I don't want.

If windows 9 is more like 7 then I'd be willing to upgrade

#71 Posted by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

Lol ignorance

More developers use DirectX then OpenGL and you don't know how much better DirectX 12 will be compared to Direct X11. It's like saying Apple's MAC O/S is far better then Windows 7 or 8. It probably is, but what is everyone actually using? LOL!! Yes, Ignorance. Stupid cow.

i never touched the point of which one is used more, i pointed out your ignorance at your comment when someone said directx is behind opengl, which it is, but nice try to hide your ignorance.

#72 Edited by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

Lol ignorance

and yet almost no one uses it....Odd that whats supposed to be so vastly better *you think so only because its a another product vs a microsoft product and not based upon any knowledge hence why you use a blog and a single developer which for a while has a streak of wanting to make their own system so they can get all the profit alone a developer that currrently runs the largest DRM scheme around DRM a scheme you've said is evil in the past* that it would be used more and by every one.

Marketing only goes so far the obviously superior product cannot be just marketed out of existence so it must mean that OpenGL just isn't that much better or at all than DirectX but because Direct X is easier to use and Microsoft provides it in almost every thing they make its used by every one.

you are a clown and not worth a reply.

#73 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -
#74 Posted by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

@Krelian-co: LMAO yet you did.......

No Offence

wow some people in this forum are dumb. Since your tiny brain can't understand what i tried to say and have to take everything literal then i will spell it out slow

"not worth a reply with any kind of argument"

#75 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

About time. They used to release a new version with every new OS but they skipped it with 8. I thought they were going to just abandon it.

#76 Posted by Cyberdot (3517 posts) -

That's awesome. But it's gonna take a while before games take full advantage of DX12.

Once again, the PC unlocked a fresh door to a world of new graphics technology. Hope you'll catch up well in next-generation, consolites. ;)

#77 Edited by blackace (20086 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@blackace: you mad ?

yes you mad!

Gooooood!

Mad? No!! Why would I be mad.

Cows Mad? Probably. Mad Cow disease will do that to you.

#78 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@Krelian-co: LOL I meant know offence. Since your tiny brain can't understand what i tried to say and have to take everything literal then i will spell it out slow.

“ I do not want to spill your tears all over the floor. Don’t get a rack attack."

#79 Posted by blackace (20086 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

No Offence

He's mad. Even the link he sent me says exactly what I posted.

Then he calls me ignorant when I wasn't comparing OpenGl to Direct X11, I was talking about DirectX 12, which is what this topic is talking about. He gives me a link saying OpenGl is better then Direct X11. Whoopidee doo. I'm talking about DirectX12. Now who is the ignorant one Krelian boy? Stupid Cow. More developers are still using Direct X then OpenGL.

#80 Posted by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -

@blackace said:

@acp_45 said:

No Offence

Then he calls me ignorant when I wasn't comparing OpenGl to Direct X11, I was talking about DirectX 12, which is what this topic is talking about. He gives me a link saying OpenGl is better then Direct X11. Whoopidee doo. I'm talking about DirectX12. Now who is the ignorant one Krelian boy? Stupid Cow. More developers are still using Direct X then OpenGL.

the ignorant is still you since we don't know anything about directx 12 to talk about it but keep trying to hide your ignorance.

#81 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@IgGy621985: yeah this story caught be completely by surprise.

I think given what is happening at Microsoft at the moment though I wouldn't be shocked if DirectX 12 becomes compatible with other OS's and maybe not even requiring new cards.

I still think the new CEO direction will be for Microsoft to get out of the gaming business which makes me very curious why they are coming out with a new direct x

#82 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@blackace:

@blackace said:

@acp_45 said:

No Offence

Actually OpenGL has way more extensions on a bug list than any of Direct X’s.

OpenGL’s Private dev forums are ghost towns and the bug tracking forums are abandoned.

So who knows, there might be way more bugs that can’t make it to the ARB assembly language.

Maybe OpenGL is better but atm it’s buggy.

OpenGL5 is gonna be good, hopefully.

Things like GL ARB_Sparse_Texture (aka Tiled Resources ) will be fully implemented and hopefully not as buggy as it is now...

#83 Edited by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@Krelian-co: Why aren’t you Ignorant ?

I can only see you being ignorant.

Please Explain why you are not ignorant ?

#84 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

the ignorant is still you since we don't know anything about directx 12 to talk about it but keep trying to hide your ignorance.

And you posted the same link that I've seen over and over again. Left 4 dead, running on an old as hell engine with old as hell tech. Look at the numbers, 300 and 270 fps. Who cares at that point, what exactly is being tested? We care about the new bells and whistles that will push our cards at the limit not the old source that can run even on my toaster.

Plus I love how they're testing it on DX9, which is what, 10 years old now? That's source engine for you. If you want proper tests bring us some games that actually make use of new tech. Metro for example which now has a linux version too. A lot of advanced visual effects are missing completely from the OGL version.

#85 Posted by farrell2k (5756 posts) -

@edwardecl: what's stopping you from using sdl or opengl?

#86 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

it will be interesting to watch where they go with this.

take the current market of cell phones, tablets, PC, Chrombooks, Steam Machines, Linux (forked systems like android) and consoles then put Direct X 12 put all that into the blender and think about what Microsoft wants to get out of it.

its not as clear as one might think.

added: Also I forgot that I read Amazon has been working on a android based device and plans to show something at GDC...

its a complex world now

#87 Posted by ACP_45 (429 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: GDC this year is looking really good......

I can’t wait to see what news we are going to get out of it.

#88 Posted by clyde46 (44244 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

Lol ignorance

Stop being an idiot. The only reason Windows as a monopoly is because it works with every machine, go back in time and you'll find the reason why MS has been so successful. You can also thank Apple for creating a lot of the tech that is currently being used in modern computing, mainly the GUI.

#89 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@acp_45 said:

@SEANMCAD: GDC this year is looking really good......

I can’t wait to see what news we are going to get out of it.

same here.

Amazon

DirectX 12

Sony VR

Oculus upgrade...

#90 Posted by blackace (20086 posts) -

@blackace said:

@acp_45 said:

No Offence

Neither do you or lglz1337. That was the point dumbass. LOL!! That's why all your links were stupid. Cows love owning themselves.

#91 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Stop being an idiot. The only reason Windows as a monopoly is because it works with every machine, go back in time and you'll find the reason why MS has been so successful. You can also thank Apple for creating a lot of the tech that is currently being used in modern computing, mainly the GUI.

GUI was invented by xerox, Apple stole it. Welcome to the tech world where companies steal from each other all the time.

#92 Posted by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

That's awesome. But it's gonna take a while before games take full advantage of DX12.

Once again, the PC unlocked a fresh door to a world of new graphics technology. Hope you'll catch up well in next-generation, consolites. ;)

DirectX 12 is more aligned with Xbox One's DirectX 11.X's low level APIs.

DX usually takes both AMD and NVIDIA newest technologies and pick one or combine them or a new API based on the two major implementations. So, the technology is usually already there, just not in the same specs as DX12. The hardware in theory can perform large set of new features. But, I do not think developer will spend their money on it. They barely scratch the surface of DX11.2 and console finally catch up. So, I am sure they will focus on DX11.2 for now.

Xbox One's DIrectX 11.X is superset of PC's DirectX 11.2 i.e. the console's APIs are superior to PC's DirectX APIs

@glez13 said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7818/low-level-graphics-api-developments-gdc-2014

DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform

Presented by: Microsoft; Anuj Gosalia, Development Manager, Windows Graphics

"However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console."

Notice word "console" and should you the clue on which GPU family will be supporting DirectX 12.

#93 Posted by sukraj (21927 posts) -
#94 Posted by Krelian-co (10269 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Krelian-co said:

@blackace said:

@acp_45 said:

No Offence

Neither do you or lglz1337. That was the point dumbass. LOL!! That's why all your links were stupid. Cows love owning themselves.

and yet you posted a dumbass answer when he said that directx was behind opengl which i already proved was true, keep the ignorance up.

#95 Posted by Draign (536 posts) -

Why are all of you arguing over potential? This is a great thing we can all benefit from.

#97 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

I can only imagine what ronvalencia looks like irl

#98 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -
@Krelian-co said:
@blackace said:
@Krelian-co said:
@blackace said:
@lglz1337 said:

Lol ignorance

Not applicable to Mantle like enhancements for Direct3D. AMD is working with Microsoft to bring Mantle like performance with Direct3D.

DirectX: Direct3D Futures (Presented by Microsoft)

Max McMullen | Development Lead,

Windows Graphics Location: Room 2002, West Hall Date: Thursday, March 20 Time: 4:00pm-5:00pm

"Come learn how future changes to Direct3D will enable next generation games to run faster than ever before! In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware. If you use cutting-edge 3D graphics in your games, middleware, or engines and want to efficiently build rich and immersive visuals, you don't want to miss this talk."

---------------------------------------

Direct3D and the Future of Graphics APIs (Presented by AMD)

Johan Andersson | Technical Director, Frostbite

Dan Baker | Partner, Oxide Games

Dave Oldcorn | Software Engineering Fellow, AMD

Location: Room 3020, West Hall Date: Thursday, March 20 Time: 5:30pm-6:30pm

"In this session AMDs Dave Oldcorn, Frostbite technical Director Johan Andersson and Oxides Dan Baker will look at how new Direct3D advancements enhance efficiency and enable fully-threaded building of command buffers. They will demonstrate how AMD is using its recent experience in efficient graphics API design and its partnership with Microsoft to provide developers with the infrastructure to render next-generation graphics workloads at full performance. This presentation also discusses the best ways to exploit AMD hardware under heavy load and will invite developers to influence driver and hardware development."

------

The work on AMD's Mantle driver improvements gets recycled for DirectX 12.

Remember,

1. AMD Mantle being similar PS4.

2. DirectX 12 being similar to X1's DirectX 11.X superset.

3. PS4 and X1 runs on current AMD GCN hardware.

#99 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3790 posts) -

Most games aren't even using DX11, are they?

Also we knew this six months ago.

itsfuckingnothing.gif

#100 Posted by Butcer2 (61 posts) -

@nyzma23:

@nyzma23 said:

@Masculus said:

We barely seen any real games in DX11...

thanks to console holding back pc gaming

if not was not for consoles there would be almost zero high budget games using state of the art technology,the pc market alone makes far too little money to cover the costs of those kidns of games alone, without consoles all you would see would be low budget shovelware and indie games