Microsoft Studio Suffers Layoffs

• 122 results
#1 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/microsoft-studios-suffers-layoffs

Lay-offs are not cool, but this can show lems that Sony is not the only one doing this, and this happens in the industry, good luck to all those who lost their jobs.

"

A Microsoft spokesperson issued us with the following statement: "At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of our commitment to this goal, we are always evaluating our development priorities, and there are times when decisions need to be made to realign plans and refocus our efforts. Microsoft Studios continues to grow as an overall organization as we focus and invest in key priority areas that will drive future profitable growth."

IGN wishes the best of luck to anyone affected by the sad news."

#2 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1990 posts) -

Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform. The company’s stated mission is to help bring creative projects to life.

Not really. Just 2 guys are leaving from company but thats all. 2 guy = 10 studios suffers? This makes no sense.

It has nothing to do with games.

#3 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Kickstarter is a crowdfunding platform. The company’s stated mission is to help bring creative projects to life.

Not really. Just 2 guys are leaving from company but thats all. 2 guy = 10 studios suffers? This makes no sense.

First off there's only two people who have come forth and lost their job as of now, they are unsure as of the scale right now, just because two people tweeted there could be others involved, read you dolt. Has everything to do with games since its Xbox division and you for one love hopping on the Anti Sony bandwagon when they lose people, or studios suffer layoffs

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

I said it before and I'll say it again: but there are SO many layoffs happening in games studios lately :(

#5 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1990 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

First off there's only two people who have come forth and lost their job as of now, they are unsure as of the scale right now, just because two people tweeted there could be others involved, read you dolt.

So far no proof about studios or games. Just 2 guy at Microsoft lost job. Im sure they will find another job.

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (8331 posts) -

LOL! Didn't take long for you to go in full-blown DC mode, eh? Seems like this is only round 1 of more things to come.

#7 Posted by slaves (1164 posts) -

teh doomzzzzzz, all teh doomzzzzz

#8 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I said it before and I'll say it again: but there are SO many layoffs happening in games studios lately :(

I agree it's never cool, when this happens, and depending on how many lost their jobs putting aside fanboy wars and console wars, I hope they find new jobs and will be ok.

#9 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4534 posts) -

Layoffs just seem to be a regular part of the business. Not saying that makes it ok, but I have a few friends in game development and they're moving all the time. If they manage to stay in one spot for a year they're lucky.

#10 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Sinking ship

#11 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (1990 posts) -

There is Nothing to Discuss. 2 guy at Microsoft lost job. Nothing about studios or games. No facts, no thread.

Lock this.

#12 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16252 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

I agree it's never cool, when this happens, and depending on how many lost their jobs putting aside fanboy wars and console wars, I hope they find new jobs and will be ok.

What I see often, when people are let go from a big gaming studio, is that they create a smaller studio, sometimes focusing on mobile games.

While those are not my cup of tea, I'm at least glad to see they are still working in the industry :)

#13 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

First off there's only two people who have come forth and lost their job as of now, they are unsure as of the scale right now, just because two people tweeted there could be others involved, read you dolt.

So far no proof about studios or games. Just 2 guy at Microsoft lost job. Im sure they will find another job.

"Layoffs have apparently taken place at Microsoft Studios, though it's unclear at what scale."

Two people have come forward, as of now but we don't know the scale, do you even read or your eyes just as bad as your spelling. Also when Naughty Dog loses one or two people you're the first one to hop on and start ranting "hahaha omgz teh Sony is dommm3d goin brooookeee" this will finally show you that the gaming industry whether it's Sony or MS is not safe and layoffs can happen anywhere.

#14 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (1990 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

"Layoffs have apparently taken place at Microsoft Studios, though it's unclear at what scale."

Two people have come forward, as of now but we don't know the scale, do you even read or your eyes just as bad as your spelling. Also when Naughty Dog loses one or two people you're the first one to hop on and start ranting "hahaha omgz teh Sony is dommm3d goin brooookeee" this will finally show you that the gaming industry whether it's Sony or MS is not safe and layoffs can happen anywhere.

Not a single proof. ITS UNCLEAR IF ANYONE WAS FIRED...

No point to make thread when its unclear at anything. No facts, no nothing. Pointless thread

#15 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4534 posts) -

No point to make thread when its unclear at anything. No facts, no nothing. Pointless thread

Isn't that usually your style?

#16 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

What I see often, when people are let go from a big gaming studio, is that they create a smaller studio, sometimes focusing on mobile games.

While those are not my cup of tea, I'm at least glad to see they are still working in the industry :)

Yea it seems to be a trend for sure. I hope they will be fine it is like Col Rodgers and his leaving for personal reasons.

There is Nothing to Discuss. 2 guy at Microsoft lost job. Nothing about studios or games. No facts, no thread.

Lock this.

hahahahahah I Love seeing you in full DC mode, you love when Sony fails and shit happens there, guess what it's the gaming industry it happens, MS or Sony, so yea there is something to discuss you brainless lem, you love when this shit happens to Sony guess what MS ain't safe, like i mentioned it is not cool it sucks, but this happens, either take it or leave it.

#17 Posted by MonsieurX (29224 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

SHOTS FIRED

#18 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Are you really that stupid? honestly, it's a layoff, they were let go, you can't possibly be that dumb....

#19 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

It all points to the xbone getting canceled by the start of next year like it was predicted since July of last year. The PS4 really damaged the xbone and I don't see any possibility of recovery. Real gaming has prevailed.

#20 Posted by kinectthedots (1583 posts) -

Lock this.

lol

#21 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3711 posts) -

What? How can this be? I thought Phil Spencer was supposed to be a gamer? Now he's butchering studios with no end in sight? Why can't someone stop his reign of terror?

I'm worried about Microsoft now. Something is very wrong at the heart of Redmond.

#22 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

What? How can this be? I thought Phil Spencer was supposed to be a gamer? Now he's butchering studios with no end in sight? Why can't someone stop his reign of terror?

I'm worried about Microsoft now. Something is very wrong at the heart of Redmond.

#23 Edited by kinectthedots (1583 posts) -

It's sad, hopefully Nintendo will buy MS game studios once they go belly up.

MS#SinkingShip.com

#24 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

Already an interesting topic read, heh.

#25 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@misterpmedia: it's already started with freedom no life up there

#26 Posted by delta3074 (17798 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yea it seems to be a trend for sure. I hope they will be fine it is like Col Rodgers and his leaving for personal reasons.

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Lock this.

hahahahahah I Love seeing you in full DC mode, you love when Sony fails and shit happens there, guess what it's the gaming industry it happens, MS or Sony, so yea there is something to discuss you brainless lem, you love when this shit happens to Sony guess what MS ain't safe, like i mentioned it is not cool it sucks, but this happens, either take it or leave it.

MS is isn't safe?

SONY

Market cap=20.02bn

Microsoft

Market cap=343.23bn

SONY

ET Value=16.70bn

Microsoft

ET value=240.29bn

SONY

Debt=17.70bn

Microsoft

Debt=16.52bn

SONY

Profit margin=0.94%

Microsoft

Profit margin=28.17%

So not only does MS have LESS total debt than SONY but they are worth more than 10 times as much as SONY, also ,look at the differences in profit Margins, MS makes 27 times as as much profit as SONY.

Trust me , at the moment MS IS safe.

MS fire people because they are very, very greedy, SONY lay people off because they have no choice, big difference sunshine.

#27 Edited by HitmanActual (317 posts) -

Lock this.

You are such a whiny little bitch. How old are you, 10?

#28 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

hahaha this is such, such...such a good post. Freedom getting a taste of his own medicine is amazing.

#29 Posted by SecretPolice (21374 posts) -

Grats TC, you won the grasping at straws award of the year. sheesh

#30 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@delta3074: lol another moron hear let me clarify no one is safe in the gaming with the trend of layoffs, you show off market caps and money like it matters, fact is Sony had layoffs in gaming and now MS, I've stated it before in many other threads if Sony and MS don't see profit this will happen next time "sunshine" read a little more clearly

#31 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

Something is going on at MS, and it aint good right @shawn30? :D

#32 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

#33 Posted by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Lol, if you want to compare a graphic artist and a technical producer (not a damn thing wrong with those roles, but they aren't major) to lead writers, overall game directors, and thew face of the PS Brand in Jack then ok :) MS Is in deep, deep trouble... with all the banks having room for all the money they make. Money, like PS4 supply chains, are in short supply at Sony:) You're welcome

#34 Posted by delta3074 (17798 posts) -

@delta3074: lol another moron hear let me clarify no one is safe in the gaming with the trend of layoffs, you show off market caps and money like it matters, fact is Sony had layoffs in gaming and now MS, I've stated it before in many other threads if Sony and MS don't see profit this will happen next time "sunshine" read a little more clearly

maybe you need to see things more clearly, did you miss the part where Both companys ARE making a profit, do you understand what Profit Margin actually means?

NIETHER company is in the minus figures on there profit Margin,the big difference is that MS profit margin is 27x higher than SONYs

Microsoft has no need to lay people off, which makes them the bad guy in my book, SONY does have to lay people off because there Shares are Junk and they need to massively restructure to stay afloat.

Microsoft does not need to restructure to stay afloat, they are making a TON of profit and there enterprise value (how much a company is worth) is more than 10x that of SONY's

I can forgive SONY for laying off staff, they really do have to, MS on the other hand really have no need to lay people off.

It reminds me of when the banks over here in blighty where laying off thousands of workers whilst making huge Profits, it's just pure greed on Microsofts part.

Also, you might want to pick up a National diploma in business and finance before trying to jump the gun with me next time 'sunshine'

#35 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

#36 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Lol, if you want to compare a graphic artist and a technical producer (not a damn thing wrong with those roles, but they aren't major) to lead writers, overall game directors, and thew face of the PS Brand in Jack then ok :) MS Is in deep, deep trouble... with all the banks having room for all the money they make. Money, like PS4 supply chains, are in short supply at Sony:) You're welcome

Nah brah, that's not it.

What's happening is that MS does not follow the Live, Learn and Love philosophy from Sony, ain't that right @Heil68 ? :P

#37 Posted by StormyJoe (4752 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

LOL! Didn't take long for you to go in full-blown DC mode, eh? Seems like this is only round 1 of more things to come.

And... what makes you say that? It's not like MS is in financial trouble, unlike *cough* Sony *cough*

#38 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6058 posts) -

Lay-offs are not cool, but this can show lems that Sony is not the only one doing this, and this happens in the industry, good luck to all those who lost their jobs.

"

A Microsoft spokesperson issued us with the following statement: "At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of our commitment to this goal, we are always evaluating our development priorities, and there are times when decisions need to be made to realign plans and refocus our efforts. Microsoft Studios continues to grow as an overall organization as we focus and invest in key priority areas that will drive future profitable growth."

Correct layoffs are normal. Studio heads and CEO's????? They are the red flags.

#39 Posted by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Lock this.

MS is isn't safe?

SONY

Market cap=20.02bn

Microsoft

Market cap=343.23bn

SONY

ET Value=16.70bn

Microsoft

ET value=240.29bn

SONY

Debt=17.70bn

Microsoft

Debt=16.52bn

SONY

Profit margin=0.94%

Microsoft

Profit margin=28.17%

So not only does MS have LESS total debt than SONY but they are worth more than 10 times as much as SONY, also ,look at the differences in profit Margins, MS makes 27 times as as much profit as SONY.

Trust me , at the moment MS IS safe.

MS fire people because they are very, very greedy, SONY lay people off because they have no choice, big difference sunshine.

Hey!!! Hey I say!!! Take that truth and fact out of here. It has no place in System Wars. How dare you bring up facts and figures to illustrate value, growth and profitability! You didn't use the word Cow or Butthurt or post a picture or anything! Are you new to SW :)

#40 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah brah, that's not it.

What's happening is that MS does not follow the Live, Learn and Love philosophy from Sony, ain't that right @Heil68 ? :P

Must be noted that Microsoft would actually need to have a wide range of first party studios originally for people to leave in the first place, heh, oops

#41 Posted by vincent380 (2242 posts) -

Lmao loving this thread

#42 Posted by shawn30 (4361 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah brah, that's not it.

Must be noted that Microsoft would actually need to have a wide range of first party studios originally for people to leave in the first place, heh, oops

Considering we have the studio that's doing Killer Instinct Season 2 (one on one online fighting game), Rare doing Kinect Sports Rivals (family/party motion control game with facial recognition to put you in the game), 343 doing Halo (First person sci-fi shooter), Lionhead doing Fable Legends (4 player co-op RPG), Black Tusk doing Gears of War 4 (gritty third person squad based shooter), Turn 10 doing the Forza franchise (well rated racing game) they have a diverse group of first party devs. I could give a rats ass if they buy some third party games as all I care about is if I play them, not how MS obtained them. First party wise MS is doing very well. Having less first party devs than Sony doesn't make Sony's better you know :)

#43 Posted by delta3074 (17798 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah brah, that's not it.

MS has more first party studios than SONY now mate, just sayin.

#44 Posted by delta3074 (17798 posts) -
@shawn30 said:

Hey!!! Hey I say!!! Take that truth and fact out of here. It has no place in System Wars. How dare you bring up facts and figures to illustrate value, growth and profitability! You didn't use the word Cow or Butthurt or post a picture or anything! Are you new to SW :)

Sorry dude, will try harder next time *wink*

#45 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah brah, that's not it.

MS has more first party studios than SONY now mate, just sayin.

List them. K go.

#46 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Desmonic said:

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Nah brah, that's not it.

Considering we have the studio that's doing Killer Instinct Season 2 (one on one online fighting game), Rare doing Kinect Sports Rivals (family/party motion control game with facial recognition to put you in the game), 343 doing Halo (First person sci-fi shooter), Lionhead doing Fable Legends (4 player co-op RPG), Black Tusk doing Gears of War 4 (gritty third person squad based shooter), Turn 10 doing the Forza franchise (well rated racing game) they have a diverse group of first party devs. I could give a rats ass if they buy some third party games as all I care about is if I play them, not how MS obtained them. First party wise MS is doing very well. Having less first party devs than Sony doesn't make Sony's better you know :)

Never implied they made Sony's better... lol Dat defensiveness

#47 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

"

Correct layoffs are normal. Studio heads and CEO's????? They are the red flags.

Ballmer leaving>? ZOMG MS IS DEAD. Guess I'll put up the Xbone on Craigs List for $50.

#48 Posted by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

bu bu bu only SONY people are leavingz!!!!!!1111

#49 Posted by cainetao11 (16588 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

What are you talking about? Of course there is a point. Sony got a rash of them, and something has to be said in return. That is the point.

#50 Posted by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

God damnit! All dem notifications and I was only actually answered to once lol XD