Microsoft shows off "ultra-MMO" Age of Ascent

#1 Posted by tymeservesfate (1518 posts) -

http://www.totalxbox.com/79115/microsoft-shows-off-ultra-mmo-age-of-ascent-touts-100000-player-battles/

"touts 100,000 player battles

Azure cloud allows for "unique" experiences, says exec

if you're still waiting for evidence that the much-vaunted Xbox Live cloud will have a real impact on how games are designed and played. Speaking during a presentation about cloud gaming at Develop this week, Microsoft's Robert Fraser has detailed the company's partnership with Age of Ascent - an HTML-based "ultra MMO" in which up to 100,000 players can do battle in the same session, thanks to scalable Microsoft Azure server support.

Created by Illyriad Games, the title is currently in alpha. It's a space dogfighting sim featuring theatres of war based on planetary scans and star maps carried out by NASA and the European Space Agency. Microsoft fell in with Illyriad at last year's Develop event, and has carried out a "whole ton of work" to provide the game with "elastic" access to servers.

At peak capacity, the game has access to around 250 load balancers and game servers, all of which are available to Illyriad for $75 an hour. According to Fraser, "that's the kind of thing which uniquely cloud can provide you in terms of access to scale, and a different kind of experience."

Given that Xbox Live is based on the same Azure infrastructure as Age of Ascent, I wonder how long it'll be before we encounter action games of comparable breadth on Xbox One?"

Power of the cloud, say it loud :-O

#2 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9708 posts) -

Sorry couldn't watch the video...too much ass in your sig

#3 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

yeah, what the fuck gives?

#4 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9708 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

yeah, what the fuck gives?

Distracting!

#5 Edited by Desmonic (13204 posts) -

"Ultra-MMO"? Mmkay.

Again, until they show something, anything really, making use of their own PR people will just dismiss "teh cloudz powah".

#6 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -
#7 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9708 posts) -
#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (7674 posts) -

Looks, boring.

#9 Edited by magicalclick (22399 posts) -

Actually the benefits isn't that. It actual benefits is they can scale up the server by changing a number.

#10 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27328 posts) -

Was gonna come in and say "Meh MMO" but looks kinda interesting, but I still prob won't play it.

#11 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3778 posts) -

Newsflash: MMOs already use dedicated servers.

#12 Posted by Daious (1061 posts) -
#13 Posted by lostrib (33483 posts) -

So basically it's a browser based advertisement for the Azure cloud computing...

no thanks

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (87400 posts) -

MAG taught us that quantity meant nothing without quality.

#15 Posted by Wasdie (49561 posts) -

I love how they call it the "Xbox Live Cloud". It's not. It's Microsoft Azure. Azure hosts XBL, not the other way around. Misleading crap.

I followed the game a bit before all of this. Their ideas for the tech are sound. They realized that modern MMOs are not written to take advantage of modern infrastructure and servers. They rewrote from scratch, using the same principles as stock trading software does, the entire backend network with Microsoft on the Azure Cloud. The result is incredible performance.

The game itself is pretty lame. They tried to set a record for the amount of people in a single game, they only topped out at like 750 people active at once which is well short of the record. I don't expect too much from it. The gameplay isn't that promising. I like the fact that it's browser based, but I don't like the setup or gameplay of the game.

The whole cloud aspect of this game is how the back-end of the game is run. MMOs have been using dedicated servers for decades and new ones are starting to move over to a cloud based solution. This is just a new engine that fully utilizes existing cloud server tech.

A lot of new MMOs are starting to switch to this but it's a long road. The devs of Star Citizen are also utilizing the cloud to spin up hundreds of instances within their MMO. It's a clever solution but it's in its early days.

#16 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2752 posts) -

This ain't got nothing on Eve. nothx

#17 Edited by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

I will stick with FF14.

#18 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3666 posts) -

I was truly interested after reading the thread... that soon left after trying to figure out who in the hell thinks this looks like fun...

#19 Posted by cainetao11 (16655 posts) -
#20 Posted by cainetao11 (16655 posts) -

@Wasdie:

Dude at this point they'll put "Xbox" in front of anything that may be positive.

#21 Posted by General_Solo76 (128 posts) -

I got as far as mmo, then stopped reading there.

#22 Edited by edwardecl (2029 posts) -

An HTML5 game that uses WebGL that is advertised that it can be run on low end hardware like a Chromebook... are you fucking kidding me? Why would Microsoft be showing off something that not only does not use DirectX but does not need a Microsoft operating system or console to play, maybe I'm not getting something here.

#23 Posted by Vaasman (11197 posts) -

Kinda just looks like a poor man's space dog fighter.

#24 Posted by Jankarcop (8893 posts) -

Now you know how I feel when I read cinematic game, sports game, or racer.

#25 Posted by SolidTy (42157 posts) -

I'm not into MMOs and the Dev isn't my favorite, but well, something.

@Vaasman said:

Kinda just looks like a poor man's space dog fighter.

I was truly interested after reading the thread... that soon left after trying to figure out who in the hell thinks this looks like fun...

#26 Posted by hehe101 (581 posts) -

Good news but can you make a good game not this crap thanks

#27 Posted by lostrib (33483 posts) -

@general_solo76 said:

Now you know how I feel when I read cinematic game, sports game, or racer.

To be honest, as a PC gamer, I didn't get much further than that either