Microsoft made Sony dance for Joy

• 59 results
#1 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27787 posts) -

Remember the dark times for Sony, when bad financial news made them sad, well MS gave them back those happy feels. Thank you MS.

One of the biggest stories to come out of last year's E3 was the fact that Microsoft's Xbox One would launch for $500, a full $100 above Sony's rival PlayStation 4. In an interview with Ars Technica, PlayStation boss Scott Rohde recalled the day this announcement was made, saying it was a joyous moment to learn that Sony's box would have a $100 price advantage, for the first holiday season at least.

"I'm not gonna lie. I remember exactly where I was," Rohde said. "We were in press conference rehearsals last year. We had a feeling they were going to come in at $499, but we weren't sure. So yeah, we were dancing in the aisles and high-fiving. It was great. Anyone that came in on an interview, it didn't matter what the question was, I could always just answer it with $399. It was the answer to every question."

Linky to full article

#2 Edited by inb4uall (5728 posts) -

It's a shame both the PS4 and Xbone are shit and have no games to warrant a purchase.

#3 Posted by lawlessx (46728 posts) -

really don't know how to feel about this...

#4 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27787 posts) -
@inb4uall said:

It's a shame both the PS4 and Xbone are shit and have no games to warrant a purchase.

Why must you always ruin the dancing and high fives? >:o

#5 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25699 posts) -

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall for both companies during E3 2013. Sony guys opening champagne, MS guys looking for a tall building to leap off...

#6 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14103 posts) -

I'd be pretty damn happy too if I found out my direct competitor was going with a higher price point despite having weaker hardware and the worst 1st party on a console.

Dem sales.

#7 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

Microsoft really did overestimate their brand power with that price tag. It was a huge mistake bringing a console to market for $500 plus annual fee.

#8 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10570 posts) -

As i'm sure Microsoft was when they heard the price of the PS3 however many years ago.

#9 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14103 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall for both companies during E3 2013. Sony guys opening champagne, MS guys looking for a tall building to leap off...

There must have been an awkward bout of silence during every meeting when Kinect what brought up.

#10 Posted by magicalclick (22693 posts) -

Hummm I thought this was a 2013 thread.

#11 Posted by finalstar2007 (25202 posts) -

So this is a 2013 thread?

It makes sense them being happy i mean MS their main competitor and all...

#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16614 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@inb4uall said:

Hey Sony, please stop dancing and high fiving and start making some games

Sincerely yours

Gamers

#13 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4807 posts) -

i saw my console, selling oh so very few

what could i do?

my console's price was high, i can't sell it to yoooou!

and sony knew!

#14 Posted by mems_1224 (47155 posts) -

I love how the way Sony acts in the media is pretty much the same way their pathetic fanboys act on forums. Meanwhile, the heads of Nintendo and Xbox seem like good sports.

#15 Posted by coasterguy65 (5971 posts) -

Following your competition's conference hours later definitely has it's advantages.

#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14103 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i saw my console, selling oh so very few

what could i do?

my console's price was high, i can't sell it to yoooou!

and sony knew!

I've got the perfect song for this thread.

"399.00"

#17 Edited by lostrib (37035 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@inb4uall said:

#18 Posted by Heil68 (44646 posts) -

Then MS shit canned their whole vision of the Xbone, including dropping Kinect(lol) to try and keep pace with the PS4.

#19 Edited by Flubbbs (3099 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

they have only been out for 7 months.. games are coming lol

#20 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

What's the point of this thread?

#21 Edited by lostrib (37035 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@inb4uall said:

and I imagine at that point they will then have games to warrant a purchase

#22 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10432 posts) -

I don't blame them for doing a happy dance.

#23 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4807 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: haha yeah.

"399"

i bet they danced to a lot of david bowie songs with 'dance' in the title. they probably danced to this one too

#24 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4435 posts) -

The reason I was interested in the X1 was because, while both consoles are weak as fuck, it had the potential to add something different. But now they're just about the graphics again, the PC is looking like the true next gen option.

So it ends in tragedy, consoles will never be more than low end PCs now. MS will NEVER dare try anything different again and we know Sony doesn't anyway. Consoles are in a unique position to be unique gaming devices. But they aren't, add a control pad to the PC and it floors consoles. MS could have gone the same route as Sony by default, but they tried to change things up, and while a lot of it didn't work and they got rid of that, getting rid of Kinect was not a good thing imo.

Respect to Nintendo for staying strong with their ideals to boldly finding new ways for us to game.

If I had a choice to retrospectively make my choices again, I would have just got a Wii U. The future to me might be Nintendo and the PC for gaming. It feels right. Pure console gaming with PC gaming and none of the low end inbetween jack of all trades crap that is what Sony and MS gave us.

#25 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4435 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

Then MS shit canned their whole vision of the Xbone, including dropping Kinect(lol) to try and keep pace with the PS4.

Yeah, they're a bunch of pussy's for that. That made me go PC.

#26 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71845 posts) -

doesn't really surprise me :P

#27 Edited by Suppaman100 (3917 posts) -

#28 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9769 posts) -

Even mods are making shitty threads now...

#29 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (723 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

#30 Posted by Blabadon (26355 posts) -

Wonder what happened with $599.

#31 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8817 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

The reason I was interested in the X1 was because, while both consoles are weak as fuck, it had the potential to add something different. But now they're just about the graphics again, the PC is looking like the true next gen option.

So it ends in tragedy, consoles will never be more than low end PCs now. MS will NEVER dare try anything different again and we know Sony doesn't anyway. Consoles are in a unique position to be unique gaming devices. But they aren't, add a control pad to the PC and it floors consoles. MS could have gone the same route as Sony by default, but they tried to change things up, and while a lot of it didn't work and they got rid of that, getting rid of Kinect was not a good thing imo.

Respect to Nintendo for staying strong with their ideals to boldly finding new ways for us to game.

If I had a choice to retrospectively make my choices again, I would have just got a Wii U. The future to me might be Nintendo and the PC for gaming. It feels right. Pure console gaming with PC gaming and none of the low end inbetween jack of all trades crap that is what Sony and MS gave us.

I couldn't agree with this post more.

#32 Edited by AdobeArtist (22897 posts) -
@Heil68 said:

So now you're complaining about MS giving the version you actually wanted?? :/

#33 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

You'd think someone with such a high post count would make a decent thread, sadder that he's even a mod.

#34 Posted by Blabadon (26355 posts) -

@AdobeArtist: Is Kentucky Route Zero worth its Steam sale price?

#35 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4675 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

I love how the way Sony acts in the media is pretty much the same way their pathetic fanboys act on forums. Meanwhile, the heads of Nintendo and Xbox seem like good sports.

“We will kill Sony at E3″ - ms 2013. funny how that turned out

#36 Posted by blamix99 (1965 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

@inb4uall said:

yup, it was like this when the ps2 and ps3 came out.. we won't get much intil it's like 18 months+

#37 Edited by Daious (1298 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

What the heck are you talking about? What did you even read? The guy was just excited that their console was at a lower price point.

#38 Posted by clr84651 (5449 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

It's a shame you feel this way.

#39 Posted by clr84651 (5449 posts) -

MS has done a lot of things to make Sony dance for joy. It started with the X360; RRoD & everything being an extra cost add on. It continued with the X1 with their DRM, Kinect, & used game fee announcement & topped it off with the higher price because of mandatory Kinect.

#40 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7167 posts) -

I was dancing and giving high fives too when Microsoft announced a $500 price point.

I knew it would keep the peasants gaming on Sony.

#41 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Yeah like Major Asshole(Nelson) tweeting after the PS4 reveal: "a reveal with showing your console...that's one way to do it." Xflop employees are only playing nice now because they are getting stomped.

#42 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12388 posts) -

I seen this article recently and I dont know why it's "news" because I remember them saying this actually last year after E3 2013. Just thought it was odd it's in the news again.

#43 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@Heil68 said:

Yeah, they're a bunch of pussy's for that. That made me go PC.

Kinect is garbage. You are the extreme minority in wanting it.

@mems_1224 said:

Yeah like Major Asshole(Nelson) tweeting after the PS4 reveal: "a reveal with showing your console...that's one way to do it." Xflop employees are only playing nice now because they are getting stomped.

#44 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12388 posts) -
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I was dancing and giving high fives too when Microsoft announced a $500 price point.

I knew it would keep the peasants gaming on Sony.

So much that MS dropped the useless Kinect so those peasants might buy an Xbone.

#45 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12388 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Dude Aaron Greenburg and Major Nelson take shots at Sony left and right in the media. Greenburg went on a rant last gen against Sony but yeah... he's such a "good sport".

It's business. They're competition. Shots will be taken. Being bias is as bad as being a fanboy.

#46 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7409 posts) -

I'm sure Sony was thrilled with the price announcement. Microsoft handed them an advantage on a silver platter.

#47 Posted by Alcapello (949 posts) -

Alright, thanks.

#48 Posted by Bigboi500 (29951 posts) -
@clr84651 said:

@inb4uall said:

It's a shame you feel this way.

He's spot on though, for now. There isn't but one or two exclusives on each of them as we speak. Certainly nothing worth running out and buying them for.

#49 Edited by santoron (7741 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@mems_1224 said:

“We will kill Sony at E3″ - ms 2013. funny how that turned out

Yup. Fanboys see what they want to see and ignore what doesn't fit the narrative they're spinning. This is a perfect example.

@StrongBlackVine said:

Yeah like Major Asshole(Nelson) tweeting after the PS4 reveal: "a reveal with showing your console...that's one way to do it."

...And another.

"Somebody" needs to stop believing in "Evil" and "Good" corporations. Not taking every celebration as a personal insult also couldn't hurt...