Microsoft is forcing GameSpot to slash its used game prices.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts
@happyduds77 said:

Why couldn't Gamestop just die?

That would be really, really bad for the industry. Big gamers come from little gamers, and lots of little gamers come from broke families. I have spent many thousands of dollars on new games because I grew up pulling weeks for a buck an hour so I could root around in the five dollar bin.

If it wasn't for that bin, I would be a TV guy, instead of someone who funds the crap out of a lot of budding developers that will make tomorrow's AAA.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Microsoft isn't forcing them to drop the price on xb1 used games. Jesus Christ........./eyeroll

If lamestop drops the price of a used game its because they are getting flooded with trade ins and no one is really buying it.

Microsoft cant force them to do anything they don't want. Lamestop is a major source of sales for them, they wont make them do anything. Nor can they make them do anything. What is MS going to do? Pull products from their shelves, cut back on exclusive offers and content to their largest retail outlet for their products? I don't think so.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

That's f**** bullshit. The game is still $90 here in Australia. I'd like to play Ryse but not for that price.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:

@Jakandsigz said:

As I write this, video game retailer GameStop is selling used copies of the Xbox One launch title Ryse: Son of Rome for $38. Last week, it had been charging $55 for the game, but it seems to have cut its price following an aggressive move from Microsoft .

On Tuesday, Microsoft began selling the digital version of Ryse for just $40 (regularly $60). There are some obvious drawbacks to the digital version -- the game can't be resold or lent to friends -- but at a 33% discount, those shortcomings are easily overlooked.

Following the announcement, I posited that Microsoft had more or less devastated the demand for Ryse at GameStop: Even buying a used copy was far more expensive than the digital version. For the week that Microsoft was running that special, GameStop should've seen next to no demand for Ryse at its stores.

GameStop slashed its price in response

It seems GameStop's management came to the same conclusion, as the retailer cut the price of Ryse to $38 -- exactly $2 less than what Microsoft was charging for the digital copy, and perhaps enough to nudge would-be buyers over to GameStop's side. But even if GameStop managed to recapture sales it would've otherwise lost, the effect is ultimately just as detrimental: By offering a digital sale, Microsoft weighed on GameStop's profit, effectively taking about $17 out of GameStop's pocket for every copy of Ryse they sold at the new, reduced price.

This game could end very interestingly. Depending on how you look at it, it will either:

A. End with Gamestop lower costs of used games at least buy an affordable amount even if the game had been out only for 3 months. In turn, used games may rise, especially for purchases, but ONLY if Gamestop decides to do this. Which is a 50/50 chance.

B. It will end with Gamestop being stubborn, and despite the hate for the company, used games will take a large hit, and it may lead to the end or make used games a niche.

C. it will end with more Xbox hardware and software sales, and then Microsoft will retract their price drop, at least not fully, but will probably make it slightly less than Gamestops prices, so Gamestop will charge $55 for used games again and this will have no effect beyond this point.

GameStop can sell it's preowned games at whatever price it wants, Microsoft doesn't dictate how much they charge, they cannot. I wonder if people have ever heard of a thing called a "SALE", As GameStop is having a pretty damn big one right now. For example, if you haven't picked up Assassin's Creed IV yet, it's $30. Companies have sales around this time of year in the US, because you know.. Tax time. I can assure you, the main thing GameStop takes into account when pricing preowned games is how many the company has in stock as a whole, how often it is being traded, and how well it is selling. None of what you said is true, or will happen.

Did you even understand the article? MS didn't dictate to Gamestop at all, they used an agressive pricing strategy to Force GS to lower there prices.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@delta3074 said:

Did you even understand the article? MS didn't dictate to Gamestop at all, they used an agressive pricing strategy to Force GS to lower there prices.

And yet you didn't read what I said did you? It's called a sale, it happens. Either that, or the game just isn't selling preowned. NBA Live 14 is $39.99 preowned, did EA do anything to force that?

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 dotWithShoes

@delta3074 said:

And yet you didn't read what I said did you? It's called a sale, it happens. Either that, or the game just isn't selling preowned. NBA Live 14 is $39.99 preowned, did EA do anything to force that?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Gamestop selling used games at a $5 discount is bad for the industry. I know people think that companies trying to make money are "evil" but a company that has nothing to do with the production of a game making 100% profit off of their game is the real evil in the industry. If you are buying new games from gamestop then there is no issue. But buying used games from them is one of the factors that goes into companies like EA and Ubisoft pulling the shit that they do. Don't like what Microsoft proposed and what Sony was going to do at the beginning of this gen? Then stop buying used games from Gamestop.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dotWithShoes

@GoldenElementXL said:

Gamestop selling used games at a $5 discount is bad for the industry. I know people think that companies trying to make money are "evil" but a company that has nothing to do with the production of a game making 100% profit off of their game is the real evil in the industry. If you are buying new games from gamestop then there is no issue. But buying used games from them is one of the factors that goes into companies like EA and Ubisoft pulling the shit that they do. Don't like what Microsoft proposed and what Sony was going to do at the beginning of this gen? Then stop buying used games from Gamestop.

Stop borrowing games from friends, stop renting games, stop using GameFly, stop buying games once they've went down in price.. etc etc...