Microsoft is forcing GameSpot to slash its used game prices.

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

As I write this, video game retailer GameStop is selling used copies of the Xbox One launch title Ryse: Son of Rome for $38. Last week, it had been charging $55 for the game, but it seems to have cut its price following an aggressive move from Microsoft .

On Tuesday, Microsoft began selling the digital version of Ryse for just $40 (regularly $60). There are some obvious drawbacks to the digital version -- the game can't be resold or lent to friends -- but at a 33% discount, those shortcomings are easily overlooked.

Following the announcement, I posited that Microsoft had more or less devastated the demand for Ryse at GameStop: Even buying a used copy was far more expensive than the digital version. For the week that Microsoft was running that special, GameStop should've seen next to no demand for Ryse at its stores.

GameStop slashed its price in response

It seems GameStop's management came to the same conclusion, as the retailer cut the price of Ryse to $38 -- exactly $2 less than what Microsoft was charging for the digital copy, and perhaps enough to nudge would-be buyers over to GameStop's side. But even if GameStop managed to recapture sales it would've otherwise lost, the effect is ultimately just as detrimental: By offering a digital sale, Microsoft weighed on GameStop's profit, effectively taking about $17 out of GameStop's pocket for every copy of Ryse they sold at the new, reduced price.

This game could end very interestingly. Depending on how you look at it, it will either:

A. End with Gamestop lower costs of used games at least buy an affordable amount even if the game had been out only for 3 months. In turn, used games may rise, especially for purchases, but ONLY if Gamestop decides to do this. Which is a 50/50 chance.

B. It will end with Gamestop being stubborn, and despite the hate for the company, used games will take a large hit, and it may lead to the end or make used games a niche.

C. it will end with more Xbox hardware and software sales, and then Microsoft will retract their price drop, at least not fully, but will probably make it slightly less than Gamestops prices, so Gamestop will charge $55 for used games again and this will have no effect beyond this point.

#2 Posted by IamAdorable (381 posts) -

Gamestop :p

#3 Edited by FinalFighters (1313 posts) -

jesus christ people gamestop NOT gamespot. why does everyone make that mistake when creating a "gamestop" thread...

#4 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (5681 posts) -

If a game does not sell well the price usually drops to $40 a month or two after its release. Then they are $30 6 to 8 months after. Its usually only games like COD, and Nintendo games that keep their price high, and often dont change.

#5 Posted by dotWithShoes (4797 posts) -

As I write this, video game retailer GameStop is selling used copies of the Xbox One launch title Ryse: Son of Rome for $38. Last week, it had been charging $55 for the game, but it seems to have cut its price following an aggressive move from Microsoft .

On Tuesday, Microsoft began selling the digital version of Ryse for just $40 (regularly $60). There are some obvious drawbacks to the digital version -- the game can't be resold or lent to friends -- but at a 33% discount, those shortcomings are easily overlooked.

Following the announcement, I posited that Microsoft had more or less devastated the demand for Ryse at GameStop: Even buying a used copy was far more expensive than the digital version. For the week that Microsoft was running that special, GameStop should've seen next to no demand for Ryse at its stores.

GameStop slashed its price in response

It seems GameStop's management came to the same conclusion, as the retailer cut the price of Ryse to $38 -- exactly $2 less than what Microsoft was charging for the digital copy, and perhaps enough to nudge would-be buyers over to GameStop's side. But even if GameStop managed to recapture sales it would've otherwise lost, the effect is ultimately just as detrimental: By offering a digital sale, Microsoft weighed on GameStop's profit, effectively taking about $17 out of GameStop's pocket for every copy of Ryse they sold at the new, reduced price.

This game could end very interestingly. Depending on how you look at it, it will either:

A. End with Gamestop lower costs of used games at least buy an affordable amount even if the game had been out only for 3 months. In turn, used games may rise, especially for purchases, but ONLY if Gamestop decides to do this. Which is a 50/50 chance.

B. It will end with Gamestop being stubborn, and despite the hate for the company, used games will take a large hit, and it may lead to the end or make used games a niche.

C. it will end with more Xbox hardware and software sales, and then Microsoft will retract their price drop, at least not fully, but will probably make it slightly less than Gamestops prices, so Gamestop will charge $55 for used games again and this will have no effect beyond this point.

GameStop can sell it's preowned games at whatever price it wants, Microsoft doesn't dictate how much they charge, they cannot. I wonder if people have ever heard of a thing called a "SALE", As GameStop is having a pretty damn big one right now. For example, if you haven't picked up Assassin's Creed IV yet, it's $30. Companies have sales around this time of year in the US, because you know.. Tax time. I can assure you, the main thing GameStop takes into account when pricing preowned games is how many the company has in stock as a whole, how often it is being traded, and how well it is selling. None of what you said is true, or will happen.

#6 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

Can you, like, stop making threads. That would be great, thanks.

#7 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

jesus christ people gamestop NOT gamespot. why does everyone make that mistake when creating a "gamestop" thread...

Did you read the OP? it was a joke.

#8 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42525 posts) -

Microsoft wants users to go "digital" yet they cannot even bring forth preloading for preorders. Stupid.

#9 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Wow. We really are witnessing the end of the xbox.

#10 Posted by Desmonic (12659 posts) -

Microsoft wants users to go "digital" yet they cannot even bring forth preloading for preorders. Stupid.

For real? Huh... Well, they'll propably fix it soon, but it's kind of odd.

Anyway, ideally Sony, MS and Ninty should join forces in this fight. Would not mind at all seeing retailers being forced to drop the prices of new games as soon as 4 months after release. It would give a second life to those games without compromising the devs (in theory, it should cause less used sales).

#11 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42525 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

For real? Huh... Well, they'll propably fix it soon, but it's kind of odd.

Anyway, ideally Sony, MS and Ninty should join forces in this fight. Would not mind at all seeing retailers being forced to drop the prices of new games as soon as 4 months after release. It would give a second life to those games without compromising the devs (in theory, it should cause less used sales).

Based on the anger from the TitanFall deal, I expect it to come soon in an update but the fact that they're so "digital" right now but haven't even made mention of addressing it is dumbfounding.

#12 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3022 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer: that's the big hang up for me. I want to get TF digitally via preloading. But now I'd have to wait to start the download after it's released and you know the servers will be hammered so there's an even longer wait for the download than normal. If they offered preloading, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Now I'm going disc

#13 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

MS is forcing GS to lower pirces....

You mean GameStop must lower their prices to compete with a sale to remain competitive? Nothing new here... Nearly every store in the world change their prices based on other stores

#14 Posted by Desmonic (12659 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer: You'd think they would be completely ready for this, given their "pre-180º change" ideas.

#15 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42525 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: You'd think they would be completely ready for this, given their "pre-180º change" ideas.

Indeed, but they're behind the game. Just think if they offered TitanFall for $49.99 with preload -- they bring a lot of DD success.

#16 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12793 posts) -

Ryse is this gens E.T.

#17 Posted by Desmonic (12659 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Indeed, but they're behind the game. Just think if they offered TitanFall for $49.99 with preload -- they bring a lot of DD success.

Yeah, pretty much. They should already be doing it with these bigger games. The again, I have no idea if Sony does it either. I never pre-ordered anything on the PSN, always bought what I wanted well after the release. If they don't, they should too.

#18 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

K. stop the editing to the title whoever. Thankx.

#19 Posted by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

Wow, of all the sites selling games, they choose to attack this one? I cant find the store button, where is it? Hurry while the prices are down!

#20 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3975 posts) -

The game is boming THAT hard at both retail & digital? Oh wow.

#21 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23393 posts) -

lol.

well this should make all the factions happy.

motherfuckers round these parts hate gamestop like a fat kid hates salad.

#22 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2536 posts) -

When you're posting about gamestop on gamespot and you have both names in your head, it's quite an easy mistake to make; apparently easier than the person correcting grammar who doesn't capitalize the beginning of a sentence... Jesus christ, people, it's a captial 'J' NOT lower case. :p

#23 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

I don't see how one or two games having a low demand would lead to a standard policy and price change, or how Microsoft "forced" Gamestop to do this.

#24 Edited by happyduds77 (1367 posts) -

Why couldn't Gamestop just die?

#25 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

microsoft has been really stepping up their game over the past year with digital sales. Seems like they are trying to get people to switch to digital the right way, with game sales rather than DRM. But its usually older games that most retailers have sold their stock of. Discounting newer games before retailers do is a pretty bold move that will likely get them some hate.

#26 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3168 posts) -

Oh right, Ryse. LMAO.

Sounds like GS got too many unwanted copies of the GOTY God of War killer in stock and are desperately trying to shift them.

#27 Posted by clr84651 (5277 posts) -

Wow. We really are witnessing the end of the xbox.

If we could only be so lucky?!

#28 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9266 posts) -

I dont buy used, but retailers and online services lowering prices of games is great.

I dont really see a problem here...

#29 Posted by dommeus (9108 posts) -

Ryse is this gens E.T.

The game is boming THAT hard at both retail & digital? Oh wow.

Oh right, Ryse. LMAO.

Sounds like GS got too many unwanted copies of the GOTY God of War killer in stock and are desperately trying to shift them.

WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE RULES, GAMESPOT?!

#30 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@WadeFan:

just sell your xbone and invest in a graphics card/cpu or both.

at least you can preload on pc and have a system stronger than the bone in the long run

#31 Posted by istreakforfood (7745 posts) -

Don't remember the last time I bought a game from Gamestop. I been buying mostly DD games. My recent retail purchase was an import game couple weeks ago.

#32 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2536 posts) -

Why couldn't Gamestop just die?

They will eventually... By the end of this generation, their business model will completely archaic, as they've been practicing the same model since they opened. I was a member of this company for a number of years while I was in college, and the upper management is single-minded in its tactics, which is exactly what took down the untouchables like Circuit City and Blockbuster... Gamestop will go down hard, it's just a matter of time. They're doing exactly the same thing companies that tanked have done, and by the time companies destroy their business model, it will be too late to save them.

#33 Posted by thecreechxxx (711 posts) -

Ryse is this gens E.T.

I'm pretty sure that's knack. You can't give that game away.

#34 Posted by McStrongfast (4261 posts) -

Is there supposed to be a problem?

#35 Posted by lundy86_4 (42648 posts) -

Good. If MS dropping digital prices had a direct correlation (which seems so), then this will be interesting for the games market. New digital prices competing with used hard copies, could be quite useful to the end-user.

#36 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25709 posts) -

Well to be honest I don't know many developers or companies other than Nintendo that enjoys Gamestop's company in the gaming market. The only thing stopping them from pulling Gamestop out is the people that get angry when they don't like what DD entails.

I agree with Lundy, I think it's good.

#37 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

Wait, for real?

WTF Microsoft. Rookie mistake.

#38 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13704 posts) -

Maybe GameStop should sue GameSpot.

#39 Posted by AzatiS (6986 posts) -

So much fuss about a 6 scored game ( metacritic ) ... its one of a kind

#40 Posted by trugs26 (5113 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

Eh, it'd be interesting if it were a game with low sales. I'd imagine Ryse is one of the best selling on One, so given that this is a sales thread, the amount of fuss makes sense.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of low scoring games with good sales, thus drawing fuss over it.

#41 Edited by AzatiS (6986 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@AzatiS said:

Eh, it'd be interesting if it were a game with low sales. I'd imagine Ryse is one of the best selling on One, so given that this is a sales thread, the amount of fuss makes sense.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of low scoring games with good sales, thus drawing fuss over it.

Yeha you got a point there but im speaking generally. Lems getting so excited with a bad game , praising it like a graphic king, buying it like crazy ... I dont get it... Its a 6 dammit !! How is possible for people to praise a 6 game that much ? Story , graphics .... ive seen some saying even gameplay is awesome. Not even sheeps did that with Wii's astronomical shovelware.

If Ryse is so good then Killzone is the best FPS ever ... well not obviously !!

#42 Posted by trugs26 (5113 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@trugs26 said:

@AzatiS said:

Yeha you got a point there but im speaking generally. Lems getting so excited with a bad game , praising it like a graphic king, buying it like crazy ... I dont get it... Its a 6 dammit !! How is possible for people to praise a 6 game that much ? Story , graphics .... ive seen some saying even gameplay is awesome. Not even sheeps did that with Wii's astronomical shovelware.

If Ryse is so good then Killzone is the best FPS ever ... well not obviously !!

True. I guess the same can be said for all the consoles. Each console opened with a pretty lackluster lineup. So in the end, we have to be excited with average games :P (Killzone, Knack, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U)

#43 Posted by Lionheart08 (15257 posts) -

With Sales Tax, you're still spending the same amount at Gamestop. Hoping Sony follows suit though because five dollars less than a new copy really isn't a bargain.

#44 Posted by Shielder7 (4657 posts) -
#45 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28309 posts) -

Ryse is this gens E.T.

lol oh RR *hands you a baggy of cheerios* now go on back to your corner with your paper dolls and legos.

#46 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3633 posts) -

For once I am on Gamestop's side... GOOD ON THEM!!!! Fight that bs digital monster! If gamestop continues this trend they will rise VERY QUICKLY from bleh to me being a big fan.

#47 Posted by getyeryayasout (6876 posts) -

$38 for Ryse? They should be drawn and quartered.

#48 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12793 posts) -

@thecreechxxx said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Ryse is this gens E.T.

I'm pretty sure that's knack. You can't give that game away.

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Ryse is this gens E.T.

lol oh RR *hands you a baggy of cheerios* now go on back to your corner with your paper dolls and legos.

The secret is having good bait.

#49 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3768 posts) -

Retailers deserve it, it's a fucking liberty that they think it's ok to sell a used copy of a game at near brand new prices. It's a middle finger to both publishers and the consumer.

#50 Posted by Jd1680a (5898 posts) -

How can Microsoft force a retailer what it set its prices? Do you think Microsoft have promised Gamestop $17 for every used game sold at its store?