microsoft is f!cked 1st game publisher considering going to linux

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

publisher THQ has just deficated in microsofts cereal. according to THQ after the success of the humble THQ bundle they are now investigating a route to full game publishing of linux games. and more importantly passing this on down to their development companies like vigil, relic, etc.

if this does go down despite THQ's financial situation this could spark a movement of small publishers and more game developers moving to that abandoning a reliance on windows as a gaming platform

there could be some real earthshattering impact to microsofts power in gaming markets period. however the big if of this story remains. IF thq goes through with this and IF this catches on. valve is already prepping steam linux for the kernel popping masses so clearly it has to have some kind of appeal. if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/16/thq-pondering-linux-development-after-the-success-of-the-thq-humble-bundle/

ionusX
THQ is not the first publisher to support Linux/Lintel.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.

pelvist
Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.

MBirdy88

Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.

where did you hear it will run linux? i also heard it will run every steam game but that does not make sence because every game would need to be ported.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

android is linux

IgGy621985

its actually not, android is a java virtual machine, built on top of linux

Yeah, Dalvik, if you want to be that specific, but basically, it's Linux.

Android has customised Google middleware, so it's not a standard Java/Linux ecosystem.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
LOL at the linux fan-boys. Newsflash fan-boys even if value mange to pull it off when it comes to porting the steam distribution platform, it doesn't mean the games will magically be ported to Linux. Look at mac if you don't believe me.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#56 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Interesting. I didn't foresee this move at all.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Exactly, I think the drivers and virtualization on windows make the sysetm much more stable, game API's aren't actually going directly to the hardware any more on windows. Switching to Linux isn't going to be an easy process, and the one thing I've learned with linux is it takes a lot longer to fix. I almost spend as much time fixing runtime dependentcies/librarys, finding replacement packages for packages that aren't supported any more, finding compatibility patches and recompiling older, broken packages...

Personally for me, I don't consider linux a valid mainstream OS until they completely replace or rewrite X11. It sucks, and between the drivers being complete **** for linux and x11 I just don't see it as a viable OS to fallback on when all else fails.

with that said, if people did start switching to linux, the only way I could see it work is if most people started buying pre-build machines with support, and hardware that is 100% compatible.https://www.system76.com/desktopsIs a nice link for a start. Ubuntu 12.10 doesnt' support my motherboard so I have to manually install drivers, and I have to do this every time I update...

savagetwinkie

Linux might get relevant if that Ouya console penetrates into mainstream, and if Valve lures more bigger developers and publishers onto Steam (on Linux). I mean, technically, Linux is already one of the most popular gaming platforms - thanks to Android. But without linking it to a closed software or hardware platform I don't see it as future of PC gaming. Windows is just too well established and too popular gaming platform.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.k2theswiss
lol dude. everyone uses windows because they are sorta forced to

No one is stopping a user downloading *free* Linux distros.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

Exactly, I think the drivers and virtualization on windows make the sysetm much more stable, game API's aren't actually going directly to the hardware any more on windows. Switching to Linux isn't going to be an easy process, and the one thing I've learned with linux is it takes a lot longer to fix. I almost spend as much time fixing runtime dependentcies/librarys, finding replacement packages for packages that aren't supported any more, finding compatibility patches and recompiling older, broken packages...

Personally for me, I don't consider linux a valid mainstream OS until they completely replace or rewrite X11. It sucks, and between the drivers being complete **** for linux and x11 I just don't see it as a viable OS to fallback on when all else fails.

with that said, if people did start switching to linux, the only way I could see it work is if most people started buying pre-build machines with support, and hardware that is 100% compatible.https://www.system76.com/desktopsIs a nice link for a start. Ubuntu 12.10 doesnt' support my motherboard so I have to manually install drivers, and I have to do this every time I update...

IgGy621985

Linux might get relevant if that Ouya console penetrates into mainstream, and if Valve lures more bigger developers and publishers onto Steam (on Linux). I mean, technically, Linux is already one of the most popular gaming platforms - thanks to Android. But without linking it to a closed software or hardware platform I don't see it as future of PC gaming. Windows is just too well established and too popular gaming platform.

Google Chrome and Android X86 says Hi. Note that AMD has donated machines and chip information to Android X86 .
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46

I'm almost convinced to be honest, the only thing that stops me from switching is the fact that most games are on windows.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.spiderluck
Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.

Enthusiasts...lol...oh no MS am fvcked

Great response! Very mature! So well thought out! I wasn't saying that MS was fvcked. MS makes barely any money off of PC gaming anyway. Now go flap your cvnt lips somewhere else.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

ronvalencia

Google Chrome and Android X86 says Hi. Note that AMD has donated machines and chip information to Android X86 .

Developing on Android isn't the same as developing on linux, it's completely different since your writing applications on a java stack. I don't see how it's relevant, same with Google Chrome, its designed to work with web apps. From a developers perspesctive, android is NOT linux. Linux is just a host for the android virtual environment

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 IgGy621985

Google Chrome and Android X86 says Hi. Note that AMD has donated machines and chip information to Android X86 .ronvalencia

Chrome OS has a very, very long way to go if it wants to rival Windows in terms of gaming. And, as far as I can see, it doesn't.

Also, Android x86 isn't even officially supported by Google. It's a community project.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

savagetwinkie

Developing on Android isn't the same as developing on linux, it's completely different since your writing applications on a java stack. I don't see how it's relevant, same with Google Chrome, its designed to work with web apps. From a developers perspesctive, android is NOT linux. Linux is just a host for the android virtual environment

High performance Android 3D games are programmed on native code, hence the requirement for Intel's ARM-to-X86 translator i.e. Intel's translation module was liberated from Intel's official Android firmware and made to work on Andriod X86. I have been testing Android X86 ICS for quite sometime.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

No way in hell am I ever gonna use linux as my main os.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Google Chrome and Android X86 says Hi. Note that AMD has donated machines and chip information to Android X86 .ronvalencia

High performance Andriod 3D games are programmed on native code, hence the requirement for Intel's ARM-to-X86 translator i.e. Intel's translation module was liberated from Intel's official Andriod firmware and made to work on Andriod X86. I have been testing Andriod X86 ICS for quite sometime.

Compiling native code through the NDK and writing a C++ application from start to finish is completely different. Its not the same, at all. Android really isn't linux, its just only supported on linux. It's quite possible you could port android to WinCE, Applications wouldn't know the difference. Android isn't a linux platform, it's a new platform built on a Linux kernel. So again, this is completely irrelevant to gaming on Linux. There is a lot more to programs than having instructions native to the processor...
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#67 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
this wont do anything
rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

This isn't going to happen, Valve and THQ are just posturing.

The Windows 8 App Store is in direct competition with Steam. Valve knows this and is whining about it.

The core problems with Linux gaming haven't changed:

1. It's a QA and customer support nightmare. That's why nobody sells Linux desktops anymore. This is explicitly why Dell stopped, the only major PC vendor to really ship lots of Linux PCs.
2. While gaming toolkits in Linux are better, they are still dramatically inferior to Windows toolkits. Virtually all 3D games are developed on Windows (regardless of the target platform) for this reason. OpenGL is not a "drop-in" replacement for DirectX and developers would have huge problems proting games. You might notice that Valve hasn't ported ANY of their games to Linux. If this was so "easy" why wouldn't they have altready done this?
3. The Linux community and culture is resistant to paying for software. Period. This makes it really difficult to monetize your Linux game.
4. Very, very, very few people currently run Linux on the desktop (lesst than 2%) and I acutally percieve that to be dropping (at least in the USA). There was a lot of excitement around Ubuntu and that's petered out. I think Ubuntu was the "last gasp" of desktop Linux, and I say this as someone who DOES run desktop Linux.

In order for desktop Linux to work, it really needs to be backed by a tech goliath. And since Microsoft, Google, and Apple are already selling their own OS' that doesn't leave many options. Really, all I can see are Samsung and Sony. And to be blunt, that's not going to happen because it doesn't seem like anyone but Americans can actually produce a decent OS.

I agree with other posters that if Linux on the desktop has a future, that future is Android.

Valve's plan is NOT to sell games for Linux desktops, but to sell their own CONSOLE, which is apparently in development right now so it's going to happen. Due to licensing it's probably going to run Linux, but that's going to dramatically limit the games that can run on it. In fact, most of the current Steam library (80%+) would not work. Wine emulation isn't good enough for games. If I was Valve, I'd just break down and try to license Windows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Microsoft is Microsoft... They could buy out both Nintendo and Sony if they wanted to, they're not going anywhere.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 IgGy621985

The Windows 8 App Store is in direct competition with Steam. Valve knows this and is whining about it.

rtechie

Windows 8 Store is a total disaster and completely unnecessary on legacy desktop.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts
Lol Linux.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'll never switch from Windows. I actually like having drivers and support for my stuff.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Developing on Android isn't the same as developing on linux, it's completely different since your writing applications on a java stack. I don't see how it's relevant, same with Google Chrome, its designed to work with web apps. From a developers perspesctive, android is NOT linux. Linux is just a host for the android virtual environmentsavagetwinkie
High performance Andriod 3D games are programmed on native code, hence the requirement for Intel's ARM-to-X86 translator i.e. Intel's translation module was liberated from Intel's official Andriod firmware and made to work on Andriod X86. I have been testing Andriod X86 ICS for quite sometime.

Compiling native code through the NDK and writing a C++ application from start to finish is completely different. Its not the same, at all. Android really isn't linux, its just only supported on linux. It's quite possible you could port android to WinCE, Applications wouldn't know the difference. Android isn't a linux platform, it's a new platform built on a Linux kernel. So again, this is completely irrelevant to gaming on Linux. There is a lot more to programs than having instructions native to the processor...

My point was, why Linux/GNU(e.g. Ubuntu/RedHat/Suse/'etc')? THQ wasn't the first publisher to support Linux.

Andriod has a better end-user CE support compared to Linux distros (e.g. Ubuntu).

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="ronvalencia"] High performance Andriod 3D games are programmed on native code, hence the requirement for Intel's ARM-to-X86 translator i.e. Intel's translation module was liberated from Intel's official Andriod firmware and made to work on Andriod X86. I have been testing Andriod X86 ICS for quite sometime.

My point was, why Linux? THQ wasn't the first publisher to support Linux.

Why didn't you just say that to began with, you never bother to back your statements with a point or counter argument, you just post information and hope people can figure out what your original intent was with this information.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="rtechie"]

IgGy621985

Windows 8 Store is a total disaster and completely unnecessary on legacy desktop.

Windows 8's upgrade pace is faster than Windows 7 e.g. 40 million units within 1 month. With two months and keeping the similar upgrade pace, it would be 80 million install base. It can easily exceed Valve's Steam store install base.

After firing Sinofsky, Microsoft is bring it's IP across it's all products i.e. it would not be crippled by MS's internal politics.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I thought M$ had nothing to do with PC gaming...

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ronvalencia

RyanShazam

MS has the technology that underpins PC Gaming's ecosystem..

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

ronvalencia

MS has technology that underpins PC Gaming's ecosystem..

Technology or software?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

RyanShazam

Technology or software?

Software just a type of technology.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

Technology or software?

Software just a type of technology.

Refering to Windows?

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#81 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts
Yeah, I think THQ filing Chapter 11 is more likely than them publishing anything for Linux.Cherokee_Jack
Lol, yeah.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Compiling native code through the NDK and writing a C++ application from start to finish is completely different. Its not the same, at all. Android really isn't linux, its just only supported on linux. It's quite possible you could port android to WinCE, Applications wouldn't know the difference. Android isn't a linux platform, it's a new platform built on a Linux kernel. So again, this is completely irrelevant to gaming on Linux. There is a lot more to programs than having instructions native to the processor...savagetwinkie

My point was, why Linux? THQ wasn't the first publisher to support Linux.

Why didn't you just say that to began with, you never bother to back your statements with a point or counter argument, you just post information and hope people can figure out what your original intent was with this information.

You also missed poster's Andriod = just java POV.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#83 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

That´s a great move,probably a bit too late for THQ but it´s the right way at least.

I already use ubuntu way more than I use windows,the only thing making me dual boot are the games,otherwise I would barely touch windows these days.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.Jebus213

Great response! Very mature! So well thought out! I wasn't saying that MS was fvcked. MS makes barely any money off of PC gaming anyway. Now go flap your cvnt lips somewhere else.

PC gaming is just one type of app that runs on Windows.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] My point was, why Linux? THQ wasn't the first publisher to support Linux.ronvalencia

I wonder why my name got qouted...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Why didn't you just say that to began with, you never bother to back your statements with a point or counter argument, you just post information and hope people can figure out what your original intent was with this information.RyanShazam

Gamespot is bugging out again.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Why didn't you just say that to began with, you never bother to back your statements with a point or counter argument, you just post information and hope people can figure out what your original intent was with this information.RyanShazam

A bug in GS. Sorry.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] You also missed poster's Andriod = just java POV.

ronvalencia

A bug in GS. Sorry.

I was sitting here thinking "I never typed that!" lol Gamespot is always bugging out!

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#89 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
So that's why THQ has been terrible as a business.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] My point was, why Linux? THQ wasn't the first publisher to support Linux.ronvalencia

i didn't miss the post, i posted it
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#91 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
pc gamers won't switch to linux because there are no games developers won't switch to linux because there are no pc gamers Steam pushing Linux is pretty much the only action that will end this stalemate. And I hope it does.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#92 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
You will get me to Linux when... 1. There are more game supports (and better) 2. The OS is more mainstream and used widely in various jobs and departments relating to Game Development field. (So in other words example 1 but as a career choice)
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]Google Chrome and Android X86 says Hi. Note that AMD has donated machines and chip information to Android X86 .IgGy621985

Chrome OS has a very, very long way to go if it wants to rival Windows in terms of gaming. And, as far as I can see, it doesn't.

Also, Android x86 isn't even officially supported by Google. It's a community project.

Google has an official Android build for Intel X86 SoC. Android X86 aims to expand the support list for other X86 based hardware.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ronvalencia
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.

MS makes money from PC game devs e.g. VS tool chain.
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46
Ya, have to agree here. The majority of the gaming population will still use windows over Linux, and if they program for the 360 at all, it benefits them to have a windows/xbox compatible version for maximum profitability. Expanding to Linux just means a new market share that hasn't really been explored yet.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Why go Windows 8 or make the transition to Linux when you can just stay on Windows 7.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 ronvalencia

Why go Windows 8 or make the transition to Linux when you can just stay on Windows 7.

Gxgear
Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

ronvalencia

Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.

Windows 8 uptake: More like Vista than Windows 7

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="rtechie"]

ronvalencia

Windows 8's upgrade pace is faster than Windows 7 e.g. 40 million units within 1 month. With two months and keeping the similar upgrade pace, it would be 80 million install base. It can easily exceed Valve's Steam store install base.

After firing Sinofsky, Microsoft is bring it's IP across it's all products i.e. it would not be crippled by MS's internal politics.

I didn't say anything about the Windows 8 upgrade pace. I just noted that, from a user standpoint, Windows 8 App Store is completely useless on legacy desktop. RT devices are a different story.

It can exceed Steam user base, but it wouldn't mean anything.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 RyanShazam

Can Windows 8 be used like a normal desktop or do you have to use their fancy new UI?