microsoft is f!cked 1st game publisher considering going to linux

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

publisher THQ has just deficated in microsofts cereal. according to THQ after the success of the humble THQ bundle they are now investigating a route to full game publishing of linux games. and more importantly passing this on down to their development companies like vigil, relic, etc.

if this does go down despite THQ's financial situation this could spark a movement of small publishers and more game developers moving to that abandoning a reliance on windows as a gaming platform

there could be some real earthshattering impact to microsofts power in gaming markets period. however the big if of this story remains. IF thq goes through with this and IF this catches on. valve is already prepping steam linux for the kernel popping masses so clearly it has to have some kind of appeal. if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/16/thq-pondering-linux-development-after-the-success-of-the-thq-humble-bundle/

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

You speak as if lems needed anything else besides Halo.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.
platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

Don't need anything besides Halo.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

platniumgamer

And that's why we love you.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Not going to happen.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Yeah, I think THQ filing Chapter 11 is more likely than them publishing anything for Linux.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Lol at thinking this will make a "real earth shattering impact"

ridiculous

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I thought you were going to post to story to /dev/null ?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46
A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

THQ must be desperate. :?

Oh wait. They are.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#12 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
lol dude. everyone uses windows because they are sorta forced to
DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

F*ck windows. F*ck Micro$oft.
A future without micro$oft is a future worth striving for.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

You say windows might find itself "out of a job", as if gaming is the only thing anyone does on a PC. Microsoft isn't worried. And they have no reason to be.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Yeah, this won't happen. If it does, it will take years... To which, MS will just focus on enticing a focus back. on to them.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

2013 year of Linux on the desktop amirite?

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Oooooohhhhhhhh. This will be fun. With Steam heading to Linux and now THQ (If they end up doing it), I wonder how long it'll take for us to see a Gaming dedicated OS come out
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

F*ck windows. F*ck Micro$oft.
A future without micro$oft is a future worth striving for.

DrTrafalgarLaw

For 10 years, only for the both the business/home/gaming world to remain with MS.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.JohnF111
A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.

i would i have unbuntu and fedora at work and i have both at home as my alt OS's (in the event i ever need to take work home). id switch in a minute

Randoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Randoggy
Member since 2003 • 3497 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.k2theswiss

No one is forced to do anything.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

You speak as if lems needed anything else besides Halo.

GreenGoblin2099
and you speak as if exclusives outclass multiplats... those days are over buddy.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Hmmmmm? wasn't valve already doing this with mac OS and linux for steam and aren't they a publisher?

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Iantheone

Hmmmmm? wasn't valve already doing this with mac OS and linux for steam and aren't they a publisher?

WilliamRLBaker
They publish their own games, other than that they are just a distributor
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.Randoggy

No one is forced to do anything.

He did say "sorta". And he is right. If your job requires you to use x application which is only on Windows, well you're "sorta" forced to do your work on that platform.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Iantheone

seems to me thats what a publishers main job is to distribute games and i do believe the have "published" other developers games so the claim of first publisher is quite false.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

publisher THQ has just deficated in microsofts cereal. according to THQ after the success of the humble THQ bundle they are now investigating a route to full game publishing of linux games. and more importantly passing this on down to their development companies like vigil, relic, etc.

if this does go down despite THQ's financial situation this could spark a movement of small publishers and more game developers moving to that abandoning a reliance on windows as a gaming platform

there could be some real earthshattering impact to microsofts power in gaming markets period. however the big if of this story remains. IF thq goes through with this and IF this catches on. valve is already prepping steam linux for the kernel popping masses so clearly it has to have some kind of appeal. if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/16/thq-pondering-linux-development-after-the-success-of-the-thq-humble-bundle/

ionusX

Well.. they might start making Android games, because Android = Linux.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 clyde46
Well, whats the one thing Linux users like to crow about? Free Open Source software, they are going to p!ss their pants when they get proprietary software like games on the OS.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.savagetwinkie

Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.

Let's not forget, it would get eons to make Linux even at 10% of what Windows is today, in terms of gaming and hardware compatibility. I mean, developers have issues making PC games compatible with all the hardware configurations people have, even today.

Linux is great, but if the industry wouldn't offer a closed hardware platform like Android phones and tablets, it would be nearly impossible making games for it.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Exactly this. If Linux starts getting the support that Windows has for video games, I would make the switch.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

if gaming went linux that would be great i would be far more into pc gaming. it costs 100$ to every rig to get a oem copy of windows. Linux is open source the community is amazing and can fix anything.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

IgGy621985

android is linux

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

osirisx3

android is linux

Um, well I wrote that, didn't I?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
[QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.

Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.

Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?

THQ
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.clyde46
Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?

He meant THQ

spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.Jebus213
Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.

Enthusiasts...lol...oh no MS am fvcked
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

osirisx3

android is linux

its actually not, android is a java virtual machine, built on top of linux
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

savagetwinkie

android is linux

its actually not, android is a java virtual machine, built on top of linux

Yeah, Dalvik, if you want to be that specific, but basically, it's Linux.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Yeaaahh, not going to happen.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.IgGy621985

Let's not forget, it would get eons to make Linux even at 10% of what Windows is today, in terms of gaming and hardware compatibility. I mean, developers have issues making PC games compatible with all the hardware configurations people have, even today.

Linux is great, but if the industry wouldn't offer a closed hardware platform like Android phones and tablets, it would be nearly impossible making games for it.

If devs make games in OGL, AMD/Nvidia will have the data necessary to improve their drivers, and the incentive. (Rage runs in Linux) And your last sentence, how would it be "nearly impossible", when that's the exact same issue "plaguing" Windows-PC?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

platniumgamer
We need Project Gotham Racing and Forza. We need Trials Evolution and other awesome xbla games.
IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IgGy621985

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.Inconsistancy

If devs make games in OGL, AMD/Nvidia will have the data necessary to improve their drivers, and the incentive. (Rage runs in Linux) And your last sentence, how would it be "nearly impossible", when that's the exact same issue "plaguing" Windows-PC?

Similar, but not the same. Developers do have issues with various hardware configurations (I wrote that above the sentence you mention), but Windows PC is a pretty well established gaming platform, while Linux isn't even remotely close.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

IgGy621985

Similar, but not the same. Developers do have issues with various hardware configurations (I wrote that above the sentence you mention), but Windows PC is a pretty well established gaming platform, while Linux isn't even remotely close.

Exactly, I think the drivers and virtualization on windows make the sysetm much more stable, game API's aren't actually going directly to the hardware any more on windows. Switching to Linux isn't going to be an easy process, and the one thing I've learned with linux is it takes a lot longer to fix. I almost spend as much time fixing runtime dependentcies/librarys, finding replacement packages for packages that aren't supported any more, finding compatibility patches and recompiling older, broken packages...

Personally for me, I don't consider linux a valid mainstream OS until they completely replace or rewrite X11. It sucks, and between the drivers being complete **** for linux and x11 I just don't see it as a viable OS to fallback on when all else fails.

with that said, if people did start switching to linux, the only way I could see it work is if most people started buying pre-build machines with support, and hardware that is 100% compatible.https://www.system76.com/desktopsIs a nice link for a start. Ubuntu 12.10 doesnt' support my motherboard so I have to manually install drivers, and I have to do this every time I update...

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Iantheone
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

WilliamRLBaker

seems to me thats what a publishers main job is to distribute games and i do believe the have "published" other developers games so the claim of first publisher is quite false.

First large one really. THQ makes many more high budget games than Valve does
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
Stupid idea, a fraction of the user base and they assume alot of them would even be interested.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.