microsoft is f!cked 1st game publisher considering going to linux

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

publisher THQ has just deficated in microsofts cereal. according to THQ after the success of the humble THQ bundle they are now investigating a route to full game publishing of linux games. and more importantly passing this on down to their development companies like vigil, relic, etc.

if this does go down despite THQ's financial situation this could spark a movement of small publishers and more game developers moving to that abandoning a reliance on windows as a gaming platform

there could be some real earthshattering impact to microsofts power in gaming markets period. however the big if of this story remains. IF thq goes through with this and IF this catches on. valve is already prepping steam linux for the kernel popping masses so clearly it has to have some kind of appeal. if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/16/thq-pondering-linux-development-after-the-success-of-the-thq-humble-bundle/

#2 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

You speak as if lems needed anything else besides Halo.

#3 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.
#4 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Don't need anything besides Halo.

#5 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

platniumgamer

And that's why we love you.

#6 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Not going to happen.

#7 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
Yeah, I think THQ filing Chapter 11 is more likely than them publishing anything for Linux.
#8 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16581 posts) -

Lol at thinking this will make a "real earth shattering impact"

ridiculous

#9 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

I thought you were going to post to story to /dev/null ?

#10 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46
A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.
#11 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

THQ must be desperate. :?

Oh wait. They are.

#12 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
lol dude. everyone uses windows because they are sorta forced to
#13 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

F*ck windows. F*ck Micro$oft.
A future without micro$oft is a future worth striving for.

#14 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

You say windows might find itself "out of a job", as if gaming is the only thing anyone does on a PC. Microsoft isn't worried. And they have no reason to be.

#15 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

Yeah, this won't happen. If it does, it will take years... To which, MS will just focus on enticing a focus back. on to them.

#16 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

2013 year of Linux on the desktop amirite?

#17 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Oooooohhhhhhhh. This will be fun. With Steam heading to Linux and now THQ (If they end up doing it), I wonder how long it'll take for us to see a Gaming dedicated OS come out
#18 Posted by lundy86_4 (43540 posts) -

F*ck windows. F*ck Micro$oft.
A future without micro$oft is a future worth striving for.

DrTrafalgarLaw

For 10 years, only for the both the business/home/gaming world to remain with MS.

#19 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.JohnF111
A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.

i would i have unbuntu and fedora at work and i have both at home as my alt OS's (in the event i ever need to take work home). id switch in a minute

#20 Posted by Randoggy (2672 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.k2theswiss

No one is forced to do anything.
#21 Posted by TheEroica (13709 posts) -

You speak as if lems needed anything else besides Halo.

GreenGoblin2099
and you speak as if exclusives outclass multiplats... those days are over buddy.
#22 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

Hmmmmm? wasn't valve already doing this with mac OS and linux for steam and aren't they a publisher?

#23 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -

Hmmmmm? wasn't valve already doing this with mac OS and linux for steam and aren't they a publisher?

WilliamRLBaker
They publish their own games, other than that they are just a distributor
#24 Posted by trugs26 (5577 posts) -

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.Randoggy

No one is forced to do anything.

He did say "sorta". And he is right. If your job requires you to use x application which is only on Windows, well you're "sorta" forced to do your work on that platform.

#25 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.
#26 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

Iantheone

seems to me thats what a publishers main job is to distribute games and i do believe the have "published" other developers games so the claim of first publisher is quite false.
#27 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

publisher THQ has just deficated in microsofts cereal. according to THQ after the success of the humble THQ bundle they are now investigating a route to full game publishing of linux games. and more importantly passing this on down to their development companies like vigil, relic, etc.

if this does go down despite THQ's financial situation this could spark a movement of small publishers and more game developers moving to that abandoning a reliance on windows as a gaming platform

there could be some real earthshattering impact to microsofts power in gaming markets period. however the big if of this story remains. IF thq goes through with this and IF this catches on. valve is already prepping steam linux for the kernel popping masses so clearly it has to have some kind of appeal. if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/16/thq-pondering-linux-development-after-the-success-of-the-thq-humble-bundle/

ionusX

Well.. they might start making Android games, because Android = Linux.

#28 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -
Well, whats the one thing Linux users like to crow about? Free Open Source software, they are going to p!ss their pants when they get proprietary software like games on the OS.
#29 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.
#30 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.savagetwinkie

Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.

Let's not forget, it would get eons to make Linux even at 10% of what Windows is today, in terms of gaming and hardware compatibility. I mean, developers have issues making PC games compatible with all the hardware configurations people have, even today.

Linux is great, but if the industry wouldn't offer a closed hardware platform like Android phones and tablets, it would be nearly impossible making games for it.

#31 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6030 posts) -

Exactly this. If Linux starts getting the support that Windows has for video games, I would make the switch.

#32 Posted by osirisx3 (1819 posts) -

if gaming went linux that would be great i would be far more into pc gaming. it costs 100$ to every rig to get a oem copy of windows. Linux is open source the community is amazing and can fix anything.

#33 Posted by osirisx3 (1819 posts) -

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

IgGy621985

android is linux

#34 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -
MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.
#35 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

osirisx3

android is linux

Um, well I wrote that, didn't I?

#36 Posted by clyde46 (46634 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.

Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?
#37 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.

Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?

THQ
#38 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]MS are fvcked because a single almost bankrupt publisher are CONSIDERING Linux in ADDITION to Windows/Xbox? Settle down John Hyperbole! Linux is pretty sucky anyway, even if it did get some decent games the Windows versions would almost certainly be more stable/user friendly on a wider range of PCs.clyde46
Valve? Bankrupt? Wut?

He meant THQ

#39 Posted by spiderluck (2376 posts) -
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.Jebus213
Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.

Enthusiasts...lol...oh no MS am fvcked
#40 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

osirisx3

android is linux

its actually not, android is a java virtual machine, built on top of linux
#41 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

savagetwinkie

android is linux

its actually not, android is a java virtual machine, built on top of linux

Yeah, Dalvik, if you want to be that specific, but basically, it's Linux.

#42 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6808 posts) -
Yeaaahh, not going to happen.
#43 Posted by Inconsistancy (8091 posts) -

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.IgGy621985

Let's not forget, it would get eons to make Linux even at 10% of what Windows is today, in terms of gaming and hardware compatibility. I mean, developers have issues making PC games compatible with all the hardware configurations people have, even today.

Linux is great, but if the industry wouldn't offer a closed hardware platform like Android phones and tablets, it would be nearly impossible making games for it.

If devs make games in OGL, AMD/Nvidia will have the data necessary to improve their drivers, and the incentive. (Rage runs in Linux) And your last sentence, how would it be "nearly impossible", when that's the exact same issue "plaguing" Windows-PC?

#44 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8191 posts) -

platniumgamer
We need Project Gotham Racing and Forza. We need Trials Evolution and other awesome xbla games.
#45 Posted by IgGy621985 (4817 posts) -

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Not that many people, right now Windows still has 90% of the market share. Linux is cool but, it kind of still sucks ass. I't's just not mature enough for most people, and in the last few years windows has finally made gaming on PC's almost as stable as consoles. Switching to linux would be like falling back to 98... With that said, the industry is starting to realize this and there is a lot of focus on Ubuntu, that focus will probably lead to a lot of necessary changes to make the platform more wide spread, and more stable. Although I think windows will be around for a very long time, it's not completely locked down like iOS, but its not a complete free for all like linux. It has a nice balance between standardization and freedom.Inconsistancy

If devs make games in OGL, AMD/Nvidia will have the data necessary to improve their drivers, and the incentive. (Rage runs in Linux) And your last sentence, how would it be "nearly impossible", when that's the exact same issue "plaguing" Windows-PC?

Similar, but not the same. Developers do have issues with various hardware configurations (I wrote that above the sentence you mention), but Windows PC is a pretty well established gaming platform, while Linux isn't even remotely close.

#46 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="IgGy621985"]

IgGy621985

Similar, but not the same. Developers do have issues with various hardware configurations (I wrote that above the sentence you mention), but Windows PC is a pretty well established gaming platform, while Linux isn't even remotely close.

Exactly, I think the drivers and virtualization on windows make the sysetm much more stable, game API's aren't actually going directly to the hardware any more on windows. Switching to Linux isn't going to be an easy process, and the one thing I've learned with linux is it takes a lot longer to fix. I almost spend as much time fixing runtime dependentcies/librarys, finding replacement packages for packages that aren't supported any more, finding compatibility patches and recompiling older, broken packages...

Personally for me, I don't consider linux a valid mainstream OS until they completely replace or rewrite X11. It sucks, and between the drivers being complete **** for linux and x11 I just don't see it as a viable OS to fallback on when all else fails.

with that said, if people did start switching to linux, the only way I could see it work is if most people started buying pre-build machines with support, and hardware that is 100% compatible.https://www.system76.com/desktopsIs a nice link for a start. Ubuntu 12.10 doesnt' support my motherboard so I have to manually install drivers, and I have to do this every time I update...

#48 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

WilliamRLBaker

seems to me thats what a publishers main job is to distribute games and i do believe the have "published" other developers games so the claim of first publisher is quite false.

First large one really. THQ makes many more high budget games than Valve does
#49 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -
Stupid idea, a fraction of the user base and they assume alot of them would even be interested.
#50 Posted by pelvist (4870 posts) -

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.