Microsoft investing on hopes of the "next Halo"

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10623 posts) -

Next Halo as in the next big thing.

Microsoft Studios Vancouver has been rebranded as Black Tusk Studios, and the team is tasked with creating Microsoft's "next big entertainment franchise," or as the layman says it, "the next Halo."

Black Tusk has 55 employees and looks to double that number within a year; those already there have an average of 12 years experience building AAA games. This includes studio manager and former EA man, Mike Crump.

"We are working on Microsoft's next big entertainment franchise," Crump tells The Vancouver Sun. "We're not working on an existing franchise; we're looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We are building something from the ground up."

Microsoft laid off a small number of people in Vancouver earlier this year, but said it remains invested in the British Columbia games industry. If it's pouring enough money to build another Halo franchise into Black Tusk, we'd say Microsoft is heavily invested, indeed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/02/microsoft-vancouver-is-now-black-tusk-studios-building-the-nex/

400950.jpg

#2 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10623 posts) -
Today they are taking the wraps off the venture, which started with five people and grew to 55 before getting the official go-ahead from Microsofts head office to launch as a separate game studio, Black Tusk. It is a good news story for us, said studio manager Mike Crump. Were excited about the opportunities here, we think Vancouver has a bright future. The launch should also spell good news for job seekers in Vancouvers hard-hit console video game sector. The divisions website, blacktuskstudios.com, includes job listings for everyone from engineers to designers, and Black Tusk plans to double its numbers within a year. We are actively recruiting, said Crump, who added the studio has outgrown its Cambie Street location and will be moving to take over two floors on Beatty Street, where Microsofts Big Park studio is located. Black Tusk had its start when Crump and four others, all alumni of Electronic Arts, took over a floor at Microsofts Cambie Street location about a year ago and started planning for the studio, which will focus on the Xbox 360 video game console. Studio staff have an average of 12 years experience in triple-A games, the industrys equivalent of Hollywood summer blockbuster movies big games, big teams, big budgets, long timelines, said Crump. What that means is we are working on Microsofts next big entertainment franchise, he said. Were not working on an existing franchise, were looking to build the next Halo here in Vancouver, for example, which is really exciting. We are building something from the ground up. The launch comes only a few months after Microsoft halted development of two games Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, a move that came shortly after announcements by Rockstar Vancouver and Radical Entertainment that they were closing their Vancouver operations. Crump said the Black Tusk group wanted to operate in stealth mode until it recruited enough talent to reach critical mass and got the go-ahead from Microsoft head office. We have been officially green-lit by Microsoft executives to go ahead with the project that were on, he said. Thats the way game development works its just like making a movie, you go through pitching and concepting and then at some point you have a very large meeting with the executive team and present your full pitch with the business plan and you get the green light, so thats happened for us. Crump said Vancouvers proximity to Microsofts Redmond, Washington, headquarters is a factor but it is not the only attraction. First and foremost is its heritage, there is a history of gaming in Vancouver that goes back decades and what that has left us with is a pool of talent that is really unparalleled, I think, most anywhere in the world, said Crump. And the last piece of it is the reason we really believe in Vancouver is its such a great place to live that when we are going out and were recruiting, whether its California or Frankfurt, it is never a tough sell to convince somebody to move to Vancouver. Named for the iconic pinnacle between Vancouver and Whistler that attracts hikers, the studio is opening at a time when several video game companies have headed east to take advantage of more favourable tax credits in Toronto. While Crump said he cant comment on what other companies in the sector are doing, he noted that Microsoft has all its Canadian gaming studios in B.C. Tax credits, for sure, are a challenge here in Vancouver, said Crump. But Microsofts commitment to Vancouver goes way beyond tax credits. Microsoft has opened two studios in the Vancouver/­Victoria region this year and now there is investment in Black Tusk here in Vancouver, so there is a deep commitment to Vancouver and a belief in the potential of this region, what it can be in this space. http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/11/29/microsoft-opens-new-video-game-studio-in-vancouver/
#3 Posted by lundy86_4 (43261 posts) -

This has been around for a few days, but it's still exciting. Good to see MS geting back to making core franchises.

#4 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

Interetsing. It would be nice if there something other than halo to get me into wanting the next Xbox system.

#5 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26127 posts) -

I bet it'll be about traversing the land of Doritorim on a quest for the legendary elixir, Dountain Mew.

What will the title be?

#6 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -

Interetsing. It would be nice if there something other than halo to get me into wanting the next Xbox system.

DJ-Lafleur
+1
#7 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -
Please don't be another shooter. "Next Halo" sounds like another shooter :(
#8 Posted by FireSpirit117 (1981 posts) -
Old, but still interesting. It'd be nice to see what these rookie devs have planned.
#9 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
Well Halo 5 won't be out until 2015 so MS has to rely on something else.
#10 Posted by Zero5000X (8194 posts) -
The Kinect project they were working on got cancelled, so I guess this is going to be a core title. Good news.
#11 Posted by soulitane (13495 posts) -
I'm a bit wary of this, the last time they through together a team of "expert" devs we got Halo 4 which is good but has a lot of problems that need addressing.
#12 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Interesting indeed.

#13 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -
Well Halo 5 won't be out until 2015 so MS has to rely on something else.TheDidact
Where'd you pull that number from?
#14 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
Lol so how are they gonna call it Halo 5?? Lulz M$ is a one trick pony and lemmings have the memory of a goldfish getting amused by the same trick over and over.
#15 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Well Halo 5 won't be out until 2015 so MS has to rely on something else.vashkey

Well its gonna be a next gen game and even if the new xbox comes out next year i doubt it will be ready by 2014
#16 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -
Lol so how are they gonna call it Halo 5?? Lulz M$ is a one trick pony and lemmings have the memory of a goldfish getting amused by the same trick over and over.kuraimen
Wow, you don't even know what this thread is about :lol:
#17 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol so how are they gonna call it Halo 5?? Lulz M$ is a one trick pony and lemmings have the memory of a goldfish getting amused by the same trick over and over.mems_1224

I do know but you are too dumb to get it.
#18 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Lol so how are they gonna call it Halo 5?? Lulz M$ is a one trick pony and lemmings have the memory of a goldfish getting amused by the same trick over and over.kuraimen

I do know but you are too dumb to get it.

Ok :lol:
#19 Posted by funsohng (27690 posts) -
I would rather see the "next" Freelancer Rise of Nations Age of Mythology MechWarrior Black & White etc
#20 Posted by mems_1224 (47028 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"]I would rather see the "next" Freelancer Rise of Nations Age of Mythology MechWarrior Black & White etc

Oh man, Black & White was so good.
#21 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Unfortunately I have a feeling this will probably be another shooter. And a sci-fi one at that.

#22 Posted by Jankarcop (9310 posts) -

halogearsforza

#23 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]Well Halo 5 won't be out until 2015 so MS has to rely on something else.vashkey

It took 343 three years to develop Halo 4. And @ Kuraimen, stop talking. I still can't believe that you argued that ND should never make another Uncharted game. :roll:
#24 Posted by Cheleman (7632 posts) -

Very cool.

#25 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -
I still can't believe that you argued that ND should never make another Uncharted game.TheDidact
:| what? Lems, you guys have trouble comprehending basic english semantics.
#26 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheDidact"]I still can't believe that you argued that ND should never make another Uncharted game.kuraimen

So everybody that doesn't always praise Sony is a Lem? I've been giving Nintendo a lot of praise lately and I rushed out to buy a Wii U. I'm just a Halo fanboy who prefers to buy most of his multiplats on 360. Plus was it you that called Darklink a Lem? :lol: Or was that Pinnacle? PressXtojump?
#27 Posted by funsohng (27690 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="TheDidact"]I still can't believe that you argued that ND should never make another Uncharted game.TheDidact

So everybody that doesn't always praise Sony is a Lem? I've been giving Nintendo a lot of praise lately and I rushed out to buy a Wii U. I'm just a Halo fanboy who prefers to buy most of his multiplats on 360. Plus was it you that called Darklink a Lem? :lol: Or was that Pinnacle? PressXtojump?

DarkLink is a Lem.... :lol:
#28 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="TheDidact"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] :| what? Lems, you guys have trouble comprehending basic english semantics.

I thought he was a Herm.....
#29 Posted by funsohng (27690 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheDidact"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="TheDidact"]So everybody that doesn't always praise Sony is a Lem? I've been giving Nintendo a lot of praise lately and I rushed out to buy a Wii U. I'm just a Halo fanboy who prefers to buy most of his multiplats on 360. Plus was it you that called Darklink a Lem? :lol: Or was that Pinnacle? PressXtojump?

He's just a king
#30 Posted by Heirren (16915 posts) -
Master Cheif turns out to be a transformer--transforms into a Forza car. Calling it.
#31 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="TheDidact"][QUOTE="funsohng"] DarkLink is a Lem.... :lol:

He's just a king

Everything I know is a lie.....:o
#32 Posted by charizard1605 (57122 posts) -
DarkLInk isn't a lem any more than I am.
#33 Posted by TheDidact (3981 posts) -
DarkLInk isn't a lem any more than I am.charizard1605
Everybody's a Lem, even Gamerwillz and Chelemen. :cool:
#34 Posted by Led_poison (10143 posts) -

The next Brute Force

#35 Posted by charizard1605 (57122 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]DarkLInk isn't a lem any more than I am.TheDidact
Everybody's a Lem, even Gamerwillz and Chelemen. :cool:

That explains the anti Sony conspiracy :o
#36 Posted by opex07 (2216 posts) -

Unfortunately I have a feeling this will probably be another shooter. And a sci-fi one at that.

Vari3ty
I don't think MS would want to make a game that could potential compete against their own flag ship title (Halo).
#37 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

opex07

I don't think MS would want to make a game that could potential compete against their own flag ship title (Halo).

#38 Posted by Cheleman (7632 posts) -

wha...?

#39 Posted by Pitbulllova (758 posts) -
I'm a bit wary of this, the last time they through together a team of "expert" devs we got Halo 4 which is good but has a lot of problems that need addressing.soulitane
your pictures are creeppy, just get an asian wife dude
#40 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Another shooter? How about a platformer like Ratchet & Clank or Mario?

#41 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Moar IP's MS

I love Halo but I'd like some other stuff mayn

#42 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34145 posts) -

[QUOTE="opex07"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Thefatness16

ANOTHER SPACE SHOOTER?!

#43 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="opex07"] I don't think MS would want to make a game that could potential compete against their own flag ship title (Halo).DJ-Lafleur

ANOTHER SPACE SHOOTER?!

I know. I would have been interested, if it was anyhting but a shooter.

#44 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

-Microsoft

-New IP

Whaa?

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (57122 posts) -

Moar IP's MS

OB-47
That's what this is about, brah
#46 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

-Microsoft

-New IP

Whaa?

mitu123

Well they do fund a decent amount of them. Problem is they're just usually, not retail or Kinect focused.

#47 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

I came in here expecting a shooter. I was not dissapointed (but i am dissapointed that it is a shooter)

#48 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

Moar IP's MS

charizard1605

That's what this is about, brah

I meant I like Halo type games that is. I'm hoping their next "Halo" only matches in it being a phenomenon, not same genre.

They really could use some diversity.

#49 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

-Microsoft

-New IP

Whaa?

Thefatness16

Well they do fund a decent amount of them. Problem is they're just usually, not retail or Kinect focused.

That is the problem, needs more retail!
#50 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="opex07"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Thefatness16

Lead designer of Crysis 2? Well that's not good...