Microsoft fully region-locking Digital games & DLC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Microsoft Quietly Region-Lock "Xbox One Digital Games And DLC", Error Code 0x87de07d1 Reported

It seems like Microsoft has quietly made Xbox One digital games "Region-Lock", it was activated last month and the firm also deleted game licenses from gamertags. Now as a result of this new restriction, download keys bough abroad will no longer work, Xbox One players will receive error message along with this code: "0x87de07d1".

Many Xbox One are facing this error code as they try to redeem their digital game codes, here are few complaints of official Xbox forum:

"I am getting the error code 0x87de07d1 on my digital download copy of Forza 5. I have also seen in other posts that at least 2 other people have this error on Dead Rising 3. This is a digital copy of the game that has worked fine for several weeks. It is now acting as though I do not own the game. I have tried turning the system on/off, switching profiles etc but nothing is helping. In the xbox store Forza 5 is displaying the option to buy for £49.99, where it would usually say Play, as I do own the game. I also have a digital copy of FIFA 14 which is working fine, and displays 'play' in the xbox store, this shows that I am definitely logged into my xbox live gold account. Originally, I only owned Forza 5 on disc, but later purchased the digital download version. However, I have only ever owned the digital version of FIFA 14, I have never owned a disc version of FIFA 14, so maybe this has something to do with why FIFA works fine but Forza doesn't."

Another user who contacted Microsoft support has this to say: "There's definitely a region lock on digital downloads in place, whether that be DLC or full games."

"I've got a UK account and bought a digital copy of Forza 5 on ebay, redeemed it and then about 10 days later it wouldn't load, just giving me the option to buy it again.

After over an hour with xbox live support, I was told "For the Xbox One, that is correct. Discs are region free, so it should be that the codes are the same. This is the reason why we are having it being investigated further my friend. It could be an issue somewhere along the way of redeeming the codes, and should be fixed surely, we can assure you of that."

They passed me on to the 'Advocacy' team, who eventually told me "I was able to figure out that the reason you could not redeem your PPC was because it was intended for another country. When redeeming your token there are two things that need to match up. The country listed on the account must match the country that you are connecting from and the token needs to be for the same country as well."

The resulting advice being "I suggest going back to the person you purchased the game from and inform them that the code he provided you was set for a region other than the U.K."

I asked for clarification on region locking on digital game downloads and was advised "All Xbox digital content is region specific. Due to many international and cultural laws, not all content is available everywhere. "

When I pushed and asked how it was possible to redeem a code, only for it to be later disabled, I was unbelievably told "I can honestly say that it may have been a fluke"

... a FLUKE! what a joke. I'm now stuck trying to get a refund for a game code I've already redeemed.

So, the 0x87de07d1 error on purchased digital download game is due to region locking and the code being from a different region"

Link

Link.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

shitty i guess

it most likely has to do with some nations laws. look at nintendo entire Europe you can't buy some games or any content based off it's rating at select times because of germany

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38027 Posts

Doesn't affect me. I don't go anywhere................................oh god...................help

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

... everyone does that. Including, yes, Sony and Nintendo.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Steam has the same bullsh*t, I can't buy MGS:Rising or Castlevania because Konami SE Asia branch hold the license and are a bunch of lazy d*cks.

If MGS V is unavailable in my region i'm gonna flip my lid :S

Edit: Actually I can bypass region lock by buying through amazon but Steam periodically checks accounts for region locked games and deletes them so I'll be wasting my cash.

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Locutus_Picard

@charizard1605 said:

This is not the same. Currently on ps3/ps4 I can buy games from american/asian psn, while I live in europe. This is a problem for tier 2/3 countries in which XB1 hasn't launched, and have to use other countries' regional Xbox storefront. Like all of Netherlands has to use UK/German the Xbox storefront. For example Killer Instinct is download only and importing games can be a hassle.

This is a big **** YOU we haven't launched in your backwater tier 2 country yet. Be patient till octobre 2014 while our bountiful supply of Xbox is clogging up valuable shelf space at american retail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Locutus_Picard said:

@charizard1605 said:

This is not the same. Currently on ps3/ps4 I can buy games from american/asian psn, while I live in europe. This is a problem for tier 2/3 countries in which XB1 hasn't launched, and have to use other countries' regional psn. Like all of Netherlands has to use UK/German psn. Killer Instinct is download only and importing games can be a hassle.

This is a big **** YOU we haven't launched in your backwater tier 2 country yet.

Again, this is true for most digital stores. Steam has the exact same bullshit, the App Store and Google Play follow the same model, and Nintendo won't even let you select your region, it is determined based on where you bought your system and then locked permanently. Sony being extra generous in this regard is the deviation, not the convention. I understand it is inconvenient, but again, it is the reality of how digital storefronts function.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k2theswiss

@DefconRave said:

Steam has the same bullsh*t, I can't buy MGS:Rising or Castlevania because Konami SE Asia branch hold the license and are a bunch of lazy d*cks.

Edit: Actually I can bypass region lock by buying through amazon but Steam periodically checks accounts for region locked games and deletes them so I'll be wasting my cash.

thats when you put the middle finger up in the air and head over to pirate bay...

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

didn't Microsoft was going region free?

I guess they gotta boost game sales some how since nobody is going to buy anymore xbox ones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@killatwill15 said:

I guess they gotta boost game sales some how since nobody is going to buy anymore xbox ones

Region free for retail games, which they did.

This is just their digital storefront being region locked, which, again, is true for all digital stores.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

Not an issue for me.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@DefconRave said:

thats when you put the middle finger up in the air and head over to pirate bay...

Yeah, I used to be a hardcore pirate but now I feel guilty for pirating stuff, I've turned into a big softie. Damn you Steam and your charms :P

But yeah,F it, gonna torrent MGS V if its not avail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@k2theswiss said:

shitty i guess

it most likely has to do with some nations laws. look at nintendo entire Europe you can't buy some games or any content based off it's rating at select times because of germany

This is not true anymore, and has not been for over a year

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Locutus_Picard
@charizard1605 said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

@charizard1605 said:

This is not the same. Currently on ps3/ps4 I can buy games from american/asian psn, while I live in europe. This is a problem for tier 2/3 countries in which XB1 hasn't launched, and have to use other countries' regional Xbox storefront. Like all of Netherlands has to use UK/German the Xbox storefront. For example Killer Instinct is download only and importing games can be a hassle.

This is a big **** YOU we haven't launched in your backwater tier 2 country yet. Be patient till octobre 2014 while our bountiful supply of Xbox is clogging up valuable shelf space at american retail.

Again, this is true for most digital stores. Steam has the exact same bullshit, the App Store and Google Play follow the same model, and Nintendo won't even let you select your region, it is determined based on where you bought your system and then locked permanently. Sony being extra generous in this regard is the deviation, not the convention. I understand it is inconvenient, but again, it is the reality of how digital storefronts function.

But why does Microsoft allow region switching and spending money on it...only to revoke ownership of your games? Penello and those chumps specifically said they'd allow use of multiple regions in tier 2 countries.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@killatwill15 said:

Region free for retail games, which they did.

This is just their digital storefront being region locked, which, again, is true for all digital stores.

so they allowed to people to buy from a region free storefront for months,

only to rob em blind and without so much as a warning,

and not only that expect them to buy the same content again?

like I said they are trying to bolster low sales with these underhanded tactics

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Just as long me and my bro can share digital content still is all that matters to me. You can't do that on the PS4, not sure about the Wii-U or PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Locutus_Picard said:
@charizard1605 said:

@Locutus_Picard said:

@charizard1605 said:

But why does Microsoft allow region switching and spending money on it...only to revoke ownership of your games? Penello and those chumps specifically said they'd allow use of multiple regions in tier 2 countries.

Right, that part I just saw.

That is unbelievable. Nintendo, Apple, Sony, and so on, simply won't let you redeem a code not from your region. If Microsoft is letting you redeem the codes and spend money, then it damn well better let you keep the goods. So I can agree with you on that front at least.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@gago-gago said:

Just as long me and my bro can share digital content still is all that matters to me. You can't do that on the PS4, not sure about the Wii-U or PC.

You can share digital content on PS4 (much better than on an Xbox, in fact), and on PC. On Nintendo, you can do it as long as it is on the same console (so it is not locked to profiles).

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k2theswiss

@DefconRave said:

@k2theswiss said:

@DefconRave said:

Yeah, I used to be a hardcore pirate but now I feel guilty for pirating stuff, I've turned into a big softie. Damn you Steam and your charms :P

But yeah,F it, gonna torrent MGS V if its not avail.

i feel ya,

but stuff like just makes me feel mad and fools don't deserve a penny!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k2theswiss

@charizard1605 said:

@k2theswiss said:

shitty i guess

This is not true anymore, and has not been for over a year

that may be true, but point still remains

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gago-gago

@charizard1605: For a second there I got excited but then I read "on the same console" lol. I could share digital content on any Xbox One, two at a time, at the same time with different profiles playing the content on different consoles. That's better for me.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@gago-gago said:

You actually can do that. My brother and I have shared profiles for years. We play the same game at the same time :)

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gago-gago

@good_sk8er7: Nice, which one PS4, PC or Wii-U? Sharing and playing on different systems right? I know I did it with the PS3 but with PS4 you have to sign in one at a time.

Warlord_Irochi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#24 Warlord_Irochi
Member since 2009 • 4291 Posts

Wow, this affected 1 month ago a small number of people who bough codes FROM EBAY. And now we have a conspiracy ongoing?

Lets remove the bullshit: If you use a legit paying system you can buy from whatever market you want, REDEEMABLE CODES are subject to currency region.
This issue has only happened to people that bough through Ebay. Victims of a Scam I would say

Just use logic: if this were something general the shitstorm would hsve been big because A LOT of people in Europe (where we move freely from one country to another) would have reported this, not a random guy traveling through China (the original poster).

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Honestly, if the code has been redeemed, it's disgusting to disable it.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

wow

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@gago-gago said:

@good_sk8er7: Nice, which one PS4, PC or Wii-U? Sharing and playing on different systems right? I know I did it with the PS3 but with PS4 you have to sign in one at a time.

Well I share steam with him. I didn't know you had to sign in one at a time on PS4. :/ That's stupid.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Well we all knew the DRM was just brushed under the rug until people had forked out the cash. MS were always gonna bring this back in...... its a shame, it really is but alas!! this is why you don't trust MS

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I live in a tier 3 country and I'm mad.

jsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jsolidus
Member since 2011 • 171 Posts

@RedentSC said:

Well we all knew the DRM was just brushed under the rug until people had forked out the cash. MS were always gonna bring this back in...... its a shame, it really is but alas!! this is why you don't trust MS

this is the reason (out of many) I don't game with M$..I knew they would end up re-reversing their policy after most people forgot about the e3 fiasco.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Locutus_Picard:

And Sony doesn't? My buddy's PS3 (in China) will not pay EU or Chinese DVDs, Blu-Rays.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Sony remains the last bastion of hope for region free games

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@Locutus_Picard:

And Sony doesn't? My buddy's PS3 (in China) will not pay EU or Chinese DVDs, Blu-Rays.

Yeah mate until 2 months ago Game Consoles were ILLEGAL in china..... so im surprised he could get anything to work there

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

"bought a digital copy on ebay" I didn't know you could do such a crime.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Locutus_Picard:

Yeah mate until 2 months ago Game Consoles were ILLEGAL in china..... so im surprised he could get anything to work there

China has no law enforcement of such things. For instance, he was visiting with his wife last week, and we watched the 2nd Hobbit movie on blu-ray - it's still in the theaters. There are even stores that call themselves "Apple Stores" that have no affiliation with Apple, and sell iPhone clones.