Microsoft finally needs to realize...

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

that is just isn't a gaming company. The Xbox brand is a great gaming platform that has made a lot of money for a lot of people, just never for Microsoft. Over its 11 year life span it has managed to lose the company $3 billion. That's a staggering amount, even for a company as large and as profitable as Microsoft.

All indicators point to the XboxOne losing a lot of the market share that Microsoft managed to take away from Sony last generation, which means Microsoft is probably in for another generation of Xbox brand losses, and investors are geting restless about it, including Microsoft's co-founder, Paul Allen. Microsoft is a great company, but it is only really good at two things, Office and Windows. I hope that the next CEO of Microsoft has the common sense to sell off this black hole of a brand and refocus the company's efforts on what it actually does well. This doesn't mean the end of the Xbox brand, it just means that someone else will have a chance, if anyone actually wants it, to turn it into something profitable.

#2 Posted by Ackad (3183 posts) -

Blowin O's like a mofo. Bitch I'm going hurpskurp baked potato.

#3 Posted by LanceSSJ (882 posts) -

....sigh yall are dumb. 360 is making a lot of money and so is Live

The negative is only for producing the X1 and it will recoop.

You all keep saying this but Sony is FAR closer to true bankruptcy then MS is

#4 Posted by XBOunity (2981 posts) -

what the hell did I just read? is this guy steve elop? xbox brand is huge and only getting bigger and better. they are not losing NA, they are going to put up gawdy numbers here. this this is a casuals wetdream. and yes it happens to have better games than SONY.

#5 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

Actually the brand has lost over 10 billion total. 3 billion was lost just on the 360.

#6 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@XBOunity:

Actually both new systems have nothing but Piece of shit games any any Lem or cow who says otherwise is nothing but a fanboy, glorifying mediocrity. One thing we do know though is Xbox has not seen a new core first party IP since the original console. Perfect Dark came from Nintendo and Kameo was just a kiddie platformer.

#7 Edited by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -

I don't think you are wrong but you are limiting your argument to only ms the same can be said about Nintendo and Sony.

#8 Posted by lundy86_4 (43754 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@XBOunity:

Actually both new systems have nothing but Piece of shit games any any Lem or cow who says otherwise is nothing but a fanboy, glorifying mediocrity. One thing we do know though is Xbox has not seen a new core first party IP since the original console. Perfect Dark came from Nintendo and Kameo was just a kiddie platformer.

#9 Posted by darkangel115 (1849 posts) -

@Murderstyle75:

Ms is a 200 billion dollar company. Losing 10 billion isn't that big of a deal. Also it's not lost 4 billion of it went into servers that they own no matter what and can repurpose if they wanted to. On the flip side sony has lost 8 billion over the past 4 years and is only a 20 billion dollar company. They sold off buildings to pay bills if one of them needs to stop losing money it's sony not ms

#10 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Murderstyle75:

Ms is a 200 billion dollar company. Losing 10 billion isn't that big of a deal. Also it's not lost 4 billion of it went into servers that they own no matter what and can repurpose if they wanted to. On the flip side sony has lost 8 billion over the past 4 years and is only a 20 billion dollar company. They sold off buildings to pay bills if one of them needs to stop losing money it's sony not ms

Of course you only say this because you are probably not a Microsoft investor. Investors don't like any losses, especially decade long, billion dollar losses because of products that don't live up to their promises. Microsoft needs to concentrate on Windows, Office, and the cloud for enterprise. Everything else is a watse of money for the company.

I know that Sony has lost a lot last gen on its Playstation brand as well.

#11 Posted by Evo_nine (1758 posts) -

Actually, Microsoft are the only ones that are doing the right thing.

Sony losing $60 on every console is not a good way to make money.

#12 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@lundy86_4:

Forza 5 review? You mean a racing game that plays on training wheels for the kiddie croud they have worked so hard on? Further more, everything about the game looks like shit except for the cars. The whole environment looks last gen. Gamespot can give it a 9 all they want to but that's only because they are on Microsofts nuts like they used to be with Sony when they were firing reviewers for giving games bad reviews when a good review was bought and paid for.

I have also owned Forza 1 through 4 and with the exception of the very first game, the rest were very mediocre. You n00bie Lems just love your rewind features, suggested lines and driving assistance. Its COD for driving fans. The game pretty much plays itself. PGR was a much better series but you guys couldn't handle a game that actually took a bit of skill to drive in.

#13 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@Evo_nine:

Its a good way to make money when you are wiping your ass with the competition. They might lose $60 on my console however they make thousands back from all the games, content, entertainment and services I purchase. Money I gave to Microsoft instead for the last 12 years.

#14 Posted by nyzma23 (933 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Murderstyle75:

you wrong last time i check microsoft is worth 300 billion and have profit 19 billion/year

#15 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

ooo Keep bring this shit up? Last time i check MS wasn't selling buildings to pay rent

#16 Edited by Phazevariance (11000 posts) -

@Murderstyle75: keep crying that it outscored all PlayStation racers. Waa waa

#17 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

I wonder what's worse. Selling a building that you are still working out of for the next 5 years or getting beat out by a company selling buildings.

#18 Edited by Couth_ (10206 posts) -

Wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft sold the Xbox brand but they don't really need to. I reckon Xbox will do even better when they get Nintendo third party titles. They are probably chomping at the bit to make kinect games and it seems like a good match with the xbone being a proper living room family console

#19 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@Couth_:

Problem is, many families won't find it proper with a $60 a year fee just to unlock Netflix.

#20 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I never understood why the Xbox isn't just a PC.

Just an entry level, proprietary PC running a media-only Windows that sells software through the Windows store (not strictly games), and then 3rd party PC vendors can "Xbox Certify" their desktops, and laptops which tells users that their PC is capable of running Xbox games which only opens up the doors for more software to be sold.

Instead they just sat idly by while other companies took over markets they failed to realize existed, and the Xbox is still pretty much a separate entity from Windows.

Now Valve is doing what MS should have done in 2001, but in reverse order.

#21 Edited by Couth_ (10206 posts) -

@Murderstyle75: pathetic business savvy and entrepreneurial spirit, I bet you are the same bloke who said no one would find it proper to pay $12 a month to rent movies from netflix..bet you are the same bloke that said no one would find it proper to pay over a hundred a month for an HD cable box with extra channels. Bet you are the same bloke that said no one would find it proper to pay for cable in the first place. Bet you are the same bloke who said no one would find it proper to pay a premium for high speed internet. Bet you are the same bloke that said no one would find it proper to pay to play on XBL when PSN and PC is free

"No one is going to pay $xyz for xyz sevice.". Typical neck beard, basement dwelling, fastfood working going no where in life bloke.

#22 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@Couth_:

Difference is, every other electronics device on the planet that supports them allows these apps to be used free of charge with the exception of a single failing product called TiVo. A big black gaming box is already irrelevant when it comes to these kind of features and I already have 6 devices that can play the apps available on Xbox One and its only going to get worse when smart technology takes over the living room completely. Why do they need an Xbox One again?

#23 Edited by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

Apparently certain people don't realize that most companies don't make profits at all they just continue to borrow and accumulate more debt until they file bankruptcy and walk away from there debt only to start over with funding from guess who? The tax payers. Open your eyes and do the math.

#24 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Is MS losing money though with xbox the past several years? It lost money with the original one and Rrod costed them quite a bit in the beginning of 360 but afterwards what did they lose exactly?

Someone will post that old as hell data we've seen ages ago but in the past 4 years they had nothing but profits. It was the only console with a subscription fee and heavy hitters like CoD, GTA and other multiplats sold well on 360 generating a lot of revenue. XBO now is not sold at a loss too and there are no signs for another Rrod.

I think these assumptions are exaggerated and mainly based on old data.

#25 Posted by Basinboy (11277 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Just an entry level, proprietary PC running a media-only Windows that sells software through the Windows store (not strictly games), and then 3rd party PC vendors can "Xbox Certify" their desktops, and laptops which tells users that their PC is capable of running Xbox games which only opens up the doors for more software to be sold.

Instead they just sat idly by while other companies took over markets they failed to realize existed, and the Xbox is still pretty much a separate entity from Windows.

This guy gets it

#26 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4172 posts) -

@edidili:

According to your lemming eyes maybe however the profits never made up for the losses and the 360 finished billions in the hole.

#27 Posted by remiks00 (1983 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

@treedoor said:

This guy gets it

totally agree.

#28 Posted by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

@Ackad said:

wth? best post in here today!

#29 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@Murderstyle75: Ok but how do we know that? We have nothing but assumptions to base it on. Where exactly did it lose money in the past several years.

#30 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@treedoor said:

I agree. Sorta like the point I was trying to make here.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/the-xbone-is-a-waste-of-potential-unforgiveable-30990258/?page=2

#31 Posted by Evo_nine (1758 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@Evo_nine:

Its a good way to make money when you are wiping your ass with the competition. They might lose $60 on my console however they make thousands back from all the games, content, entertainment and services I purchase. Money I gave to Microsoft instead for the last 12 years.

That might be true if they were wiping their ass with the competition.....but they aint.

And once halo and titanfall hit, it will be all over.

#32 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4668 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Because the console gaming audience is different. Everyone pretends they're the same, they're not. That's why all the true core PC games would never come to consoles.

What is the point of having a PC gaming machine and just adding a brand to it. No one even knows if the steam machine will take off. And it's not like everything was online in 2001, it was different times.

This Steam OS thing sounds like the dumbest thing ever. Who buys a PC with specs as capable as the Steam Machines and limits them to gaming. What a waste.

#33 Posted by MrXboxOne (743 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

that is just isn't a gaming company. The Xbox brand is a great gaming platform that has made a lot of money for a lot of people, just never for Microsoft. Over its 11 year life span it has managed to lose the company $3 billion. That's a staggering amount, even for a company as large and as profitable as Microsoft.

All indicators point to the XboxOne losing a lot of the market share that Microsoft managed to take away from Sony last generation, which means Microsoft is probably in for another generation of Xbox brand losses, and investors are geting restless about it, including Microsoft's co-founder, Paul Allen. Microsoft is a great company, but it is only really good at two things, Office and Windows. I hope that the next CEO of Microsoft has the common sense to sell off this black hole of a brand and refocus the company's efforts on what it actually does well. This doesn't mean the end of the Xbox brand, it just means that someone else will have a chance, if anyone actually wants it, to turn it into something profitable.

Not accurate. Infact the Xbox is in the green. The PS3 has cost sony over 6 billion, and unless the PS4 sales PS2 like numbers the company will be dead.... the PS4 is literally Sony's last gas.

#34 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7903 posts) -

Lol. Cows looking for security these days.

#35 Posted by MBirdy88 (8446 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

Actually, Microsoft are the only ones that are doing the right thing.

Sony losing $60 on every console is not a good way to make money.

...... dense?

the fact that is the best selling and largely due to its cheaper price point (due to selling at that loss) means more game royalties, more PSN+ subscribers, more developer interest.

.... seriously did you even think that through?

You think these companies earn their profit through console-hardware sales.... that has only really been the case with the Wii and its weird existance. most of the profit is from royalities, deals and catchment sales. not the device itself.

#36 Edited by urbansys (232 posts) -

@farrell2k: that is just the loss MS suffered for producing the console. The 360 brand has reported to make MS over 50 billion from xbox live and the games. Xbox has been a huge money maker for MS.

#37 Edited by messedupworld (119 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@lundy86_4:

Forza 5 review? You mean a racing game that plays on training wheels for the kiddie croud they have worked so hard on? Further more, everything about the game looks like shit except for the cars. The whole environment looks last gen. Gamespot can give it a 9 all they want to but that's only because they are on Microsofts nuts like they used to be with Sony when they were firing reviewers for giving games bad reviews when a good review was bought and paid for.

I have also owned Forza 1 through 4 and with the exception of the very first game, the rest were very mediocre. You n00bie Lems just love your rewind features, suggested lines and driving assistance. Its COD for driving fans. The game pretty much plays itself. PGR was a much better series but you guys couldn't handle a game that actually took a bit of skill to drive in.

Butthurt?

#38 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5540 posts) -

Massive lemming damage control ITT.

#39 Edited by StormyJoe (5705 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Oh look... an anti-Microsoft thread disguised as a rational talking point. Jesus, I have never seen this before. Oh wait, it happens about once every three days, with the same falsehoods every-single-time.

#40 Posted by Bishop1310 (1128 posts) -

If the Xbox brand fails be prepared to pay out your ass for a console.. Nintendo is not Sony's direct competition so if you want a true hardcore gaming console Sony will be able to ask any price they want for one.

Competition is good for consumers.. Yet the general population is too stupid to understand that... Or maybe it's just the gaming community.

#41 Posted by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

If the Xbox brand fails be prepared to pay out your ass for a console.. Nintendo is not Sony's direct competition so if you want a true hardcore gaming console Sony will be able to ask any price they want for one.

Competition is good for consumers.. Yet the general population is too stupid to understand that... Or maybe it's just the gaming community.

What makes you think companies can just charge anything? There are limits to what people will pay for anything. It's called what the market will bear. It's not like there aren't any alternatives to game consoles.

#42 Posted by StormyJoe (5705 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher:

I see you spent a lot of time on your post. Too bad, because it is bullshit. You'd have been better off spending your time picking your nose...

#43 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5540 posts) -

Lems wilt in the face of my image barrage.

#44 Edited by farrell2k (6675 posts) -

@urbansys said:

@farrell2k: that is just the loss MS suffered for producing the console. The 360 brand has reported to make MS over 50 billion from xbox live and the games. Xbox has been a huge money maker for MS.

lol. $50 billion? That's like 80% of what Microsoft makes in a year in revenue. Android makes Microsoft more money than Xbox. Where do you tards get this shit?

#45 Posted by Basinboy (11277 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@treedoor said:

Because the console gaming audience is different. Everyone pretends they're the same, they're not. That's why all the true core PC games would never come to consoles.

What is the point of having a PC gaming machine and just adding a brand to it. No one even knows if the steam machine will take off. And it's not like everything was online in 2001, it was different times.

This Steam OS thing sounds like the dumbest thing ever. Who buys a PC with specs as capable as the Steam Machines and limits them to gaming. What a waste.

This guy doesn't get it

#46 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4668 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@treedoor said:

This guy doesn't get it

We'll see.

#47 Posted by The4thVIII (372 posts) -

I don;t get why stupid people like the TC don't realize most of that loss was already there from the first Xbox and did not start increasing out of it until 2008

#48 Edited by SwagSurf (3021 posts) -

@Ackad said:

LMAO

#49 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Microsoft=Capitalist who just wanted to try their hands in console gaming to see where it goes.

#50 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (28038 posts) -

I see lots of numbers being thrown around with absolute zero to back em up ....