Microsoft ditches Kinect in Joy Ride Turbo.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -

A sequel to critically-savaged Kinect effort Joy Ride launches on Xbox Live Arcade soon, Microsoft has announced, and this time around it's ditched the motion controls.

As detailed on its PlayXBLA blog, Joy Ride Turbo is a "controller-based" arcade racer offering "precision handling".

There's a new Stunt Park to race around in, 42 vehicles to unlock, tracks new and old to master, eight player online racing and four way local split-screen.

Turbo features three different game modes: Battle Race, Pro Race and Time Trial. See the screens below for a closer look.

A firm release date wasn't mentioned, though the announcement promised its "launch is just weeks away".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-27-joy-ride-turbo-announced-for-xbox-live-arcade

#2 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

Kinect is now dead according to MS.:D

#3 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

modjoynationrideracers... turbo

#4 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -

super600
Yup. Kinect is DOOOOMED!
#5 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26185 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

ShadowDeathX

Yup. Kinect is DOOOOMED!

and that's a FAT!

#6 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4713 posts) -

I've wanted a good kart racer for my 360 so much. I thought Joyride looked good but I was disappointed by it being Kinect only.

Daniel Bryan expresses my thoughts on Joy Ride Turbo like this: "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

#7 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

ShadowDeathX

Yup. Kinect is DOOOOMED!

Sarcasm always wins.

#8 Posted by LordQuorthon (5348 posts) -

I've wanted a good kart racer for my 360 so much.

bonesawisready5

sonicsega.jpg

Problem solved.

#9 Posted by dotWithShoes (4859 posts) -
SO basically we're getting the game we were promised originally?
#10 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Well I guess admitting its innaccurate is the first step to them actually starting to work on games that can use it as a compliment without using it as a gimmick or unnecessary side addition.

Between ME3 voice controls and terribad Kinect exclusive games like Rise of Nightmare, it doesn't have a whole lot going for it outside of Dance Central to really get anyone's interest. At this point the Wii got its stride with Motion Plus and incredibly good use in games like Twilight Sword (and a few others like No More Heroes), while even the somewhat neglected Move was put to good use in Killzone 3 and has a feature in Bioshock: Infinite.

The Kinect is cool and innovative, but its so damn behind in accuracy and usefulness that its kind of hard for someone to get it working in a hardcore game without the game being terrible or barely using it at all. I'd like to think Ghost Recon could probably put it to some use, but the previews seem to indicate more of the whole "yeah its neat, but we prefer controllers" thing. If anything, this is a sign we could use a 720 with Kinect Motion Plus installed or whatever.

#11 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
maybe the game wont be subpar now.
#12 Posted by Slashkice (13232 posts) -

So instead of a sh!t game with a gimmick they just have a sh!t game. I guess that's an improvement?

#13 Posted by ebrezzy1 (1403 posts) -

Finally MS see the damn light again

Kinect is trash

#14 Posted by dommeus (9373 posts) -

Remember when Joy Ride was going to be free to all Gold subscribers? I do, back when I used to bother with paying for that POS.

#15 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -

Remember when Joy Ride was going to be free to all Gold subscribers? I do, back when I used to bother with paying for that POS.

dommeus
Yup. I was excited to have a potentially good kart racer on 360
#16 Posted by WarTornRuston (2733 posts) -

I remember when it was free before it went to Kinect.:?

Think it will be free to play now?:lol:

#17 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

So Joy Ride Turbo sounds like a better idea than Banjo Kazooie 3? Thanks Microsoft.

#18 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10673 posts) -

I remember when it was free before it went to Kinect.:?

Think it will be free tp play now?:lol:

WarTornRuston
No.
#19 Posted by OhSnapitz (18456 posts) -

[QUOTE="dommeus"]

ShadowDeathX

Yup. I was excited to have a potentially good kart racer on 360

sonicsega.jpg

Clearly you were not.. :|

#20 Posted by WarTornRuston (2733 posts) -

Actually I had Joyride for a while. The tracks are fun to play on and it actually looks pretty nice. With good controls this would probably be worth getting for 1200 points. Seriously. The tracks are well thought out and the balance in the weapons are spot on. With a controller it should be a fun game. The Kinect control was way to lose and not having breaks on some of the levels were a disaster.

This is actually a good move on Microsofts part.

#21 Posted by moose_knuckler (5722 posts) -

Finally MS see the damn light again

Kinect is trash

ebrezzy1
Probably not :(. It's fair to note it seems like it's worth borderline 400-800 MSP, whereas the initial Joy Ride seemed like it should have been f2p.
#22 Posted by Technoweirdo (7225 posts) -

All part of the plan, really.

Get people to buy a 360 with Kinect and Kinect games.
Ditch Kinect and hope Kinect buyers will try out traditionally-controlled games which Microsoft focuses on.[spoiler] This game not being one of those that Microsoft is focusing on, but you get the idea. :P [/spoiler]
Essentially Nintendo's plan executed much more quickly.