Microsoft: A misunderstood victim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Khasym (221 posts) 11 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Microsoft: A misunderstood victim? (42 votes)

Absolutely! - They've been raked over the coals for no reason! 10%
Kind of - They've made mistakes, but the press and fanboys have been blowing everything out of proportion. 31%
Not Really - It's kind of hard to make a big deal of nothing. Microsoft just keeps giving out chances. 48%
7%
#1 Posted by kuu2 (7960 posts) -

Man victim has really been recategorized.

The only thing MSoft is a victim of is their own stupidity.

#2 Posted by Motokid6 (6311 posts) -

Why don't people put actual effort into their posts ?

#3 Posted by locopatho (20988 posts) -

Nope. They got the Sony PS3 cockiness but without the strong PS brand to cushion their fall. They got torn to pieces for always online, forced Kinect, media focused, 500 euro console. And I'm proud that we gamers did so.

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (43499 posts) -

They fucked up, and are doing everything they can to fix it asap. And they're doing a great job so far. At this point it's more of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

But who cares. Their platform is selling, and their lineup looks good.

#5 Edited by SolidTy (45928 posts) -

It's been very, very, very unfair and M$ are super-innocent victims for no reason. They went in circles spinning 180s for the people.

People need to buy the Xbone now that they did the 180s. Support them. People need to stop buying other stuff/consoles and they will see Xbone is innocent and Xbox company is being victimized because it's good now. It doesn't help cross system owners compare, Xbone is better on it's own without comparisons so you can enjoy it.

I lied to my grandpeppy before and he gave me a $2 once so I don't blame M$ for doing a little bit of u-turns and lies if it gets them $$$. That's how you make money. Now they are removing cameras and there is talk of hidden processors, DX911 coming 2016, and Cloud chips.

"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gekko

#6 Posted by musicalmac (23635 posts) -

A victim of what??? Such an interesting thread title and the OP couldn't be more disappointing! What are we voting on?? Explain it, @Khasym!

#7 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Microsoft has lost all credibility due to their constant lies. Kinect is needed? Now it's gone. Always online? No more.

If Sony reduces the PS4 price to $350 at E3, Will MS follow? They've been copying Sony so why not

#8 Posted by dommeus (9433 posts) -

They deserve to be losing at this stage with a higher price point and less powerful system. However, having ditched Kinect as standard they can now perhaps begin to market themselves as a cheaper competitor that will share many of the PS4 games at a lower price point.

Games would help though. Lots of games. E3 perhaps?

Phil Spencer certainly seems to be helping.

#9 Posted by Mesomorphin (864 posts) -

They're the victims of overly egotistic playstation communists that live under their oath "this is for the players" too bad they got no games to back those words up.

#10 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8990 posts) -

The constant media bashing by so many fine websites gets old but the mighty will rise again.

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

@FoxbatAIpha

You are telling me that you still believe MS' marketing after all these u-turns?

#12 Posted by lhughey (4302 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Nope. They got the Sony PS3 cockiness but without the strong PS brand to cushion their fall. They got torn to pieces for always online, forced Kinect, media focused, 500 euro console. And I'm proud that we gamers did so.

This is always interesting to me how they say the console is "media focused". Yes, it has a lot of features, but isn't that what we want? The problem wasn't as much with the product MS delivered as much as their introduction of the product. The whole Xbone launch could be a pretty interesting business school marketing study.

#13 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Microsoft were too cocky, they thought they knew what people wanted.

The Xbox One compared to the PS3 (in terms of fuck ups) is much much worse. At least the PS3 was as powerful as the Xbox 360 even if it did take a few years for that to be fully realised, and the PS3 had the bonus of not being unreliable and you could play blurays on it, and what was the major reason the for the premium price.

What does the Xbox One have? It will never be as powerful, it will always be about the same price as the competition with nothing to set it apart other than software and a HDMI input (great for people with only one HDMI input on their TV I suppose).

#14 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5029 posts) -

Victim of what? It's a fucking company who's goal is to make money, same with Sony.

People who defend either company are complete and utter morons. $ony and M$ only care about how much they can squeeze out of people.

It's a matter of seeing how they can sell their products. Aslong as Microsoft's revenue is up, they don't care abotu what some people think off them, just like Sony, Ubisoft, EA, etc.

#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152398 posts) -

Microsoft a victim? Hahahahaha......

#16 Edited by Shewgenja (11012 posts) -

They showed the world what they think of gamers. The gamers of the world let them know what they think of Microsoft.

The poll needs a 4th pip for "They legitimately fucked up to the point where people don't trust them."

#17 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

It's been very, very, very unfair and M$ are super-innocent victims for no reason. They went in circles spinning 180s for the people.

People need to buy the Xbone now that they did the 180s. Support them. People need to stop buying other stuff/consoles and they will see Xbone is innocent and Xbox company is being victimized because it's good now. It doesn't help cross system owners compare, Xbone is better on it's own without comparisons so you can enjoy it.

I lied to my grandpeppy before and he gave me a $2 once so I don't blame M$ for doing a little bit of u-turns and lies if it gets them $$$. That's how you make money. Now they are removing cameras and there is talk of hidden processors, DX911 coming 2016, and Cloud chips.

"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gekko

You make it seem like they are different from any other company? People seem to have forgotten that Sony at the start of last gen make MS now look downright tame. At the end of the day pretty much all big business will do what they can to get those few extra $$$'s squeezed out.

#19 Edited by SolidTy (45928 posts) -
@blue_hazy_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

It's been very, very, very unfair and M$ are super-innocent victims for no reason. They went in circles spinning 180s for the people.

People need to buy the Xbone now that they did the 180s. Support them. People need to stop buying other stuff/consoles and they will see Xbone is innocent and Xbox company is being victimized because it's good now. It doesn't help cross system owners compare, Xbone is better on it's own without comparisons so you can enjoy it.

I lied to my grandpeppy before and he gave me a $2 once so I don't blame M$ for doing a little bit of u-turns and lies if it gets them $$$. That's how you make money. Now they are removing cameras and there is talk of hidden processors, DX911 coming 2016, and Cloud chips.

"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gekko

You make it seem like they are different from any other company? People seem to have forgotten that Sony at the start of last gen make MS now look downright tame. At the end of the day pretty much all big business will do what they can to get those few extra $$$'s squeezed out.

I didn't make it seem like they are different.

Gordon Gekko ftw.

#20 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@Netret0120 said:

Microsoft has lost all credibility due to their constant lies. Kinect is needed? Now it's gone. Always online? No more.

If Sony reduces the PS4 price to $350 at E3, Will MS follow? They've been copying Sony so why not

That's not the way it went...

Kinect was needed to function properly, people didn't like it, and that's why it is gone...

They do certain things, and if gamers don't like it, they listen and make changes. Also don't have a clue how they have been copying Sony :s

Well MS's initial vision combined a disastrous PR campaign and not being user/gamer friendly. That's a rather ugly mix. When you make a less powerful console and its more expensive you kind of have to make changes. That's why pretty much the whole "leadership" team got the axe. The XB1 pre-launch and launch was more or less a calamity.

#21 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (28560 posts) -

@SolidTy said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

It's been very, very, very unfair and M$ are super-innocent victims for no reason. They went in circles spinning 180s for the people.

People need to buy the Xbone now that they did the 180s. Support them. People need to stop buying other stuff/consoles and they will see Xbone is innocent and Xbox company is being victimized because it's good now. It doesn't help cross system owners compare, Xbone is better on it's own without comparisons so you can enjoy it.

I lied to my grandpeppy before and he gave me a $2 once so I don't blame M$ for doing a little bit of u-turns and lies if it gets them $$$. That's how you make money. Now they are removing cameras and there is talk of hidden processors, DX911 coming 2016, and Cloud chips.

"Greed is Good" - Gordon Gekko

You make it seem like they are different from any other company? People seem to have forgotten that Sony at the start of last gen make MS now look downright tame. At the end of the day pretty much all big business will do what they can to get those few extra $$$'s squeezed out.

I didn't make it seem like they are different.

Gordon Gekko ftw.

lol fair enough.

I will say that Sony certainly learned from their mistakes from last gen, while MS went about trying to prove they could very much live up to the 3rd console curse.

#22 Posted by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

Victim? lol none of them are victims.

#23 Edited by SolidTy (45928 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

I didn't make it seem like they are different.

Gordon Gekko ftw.

lol fair enough.

I will say that Sony certainly learned from their mistakes from last gen, while MS went about trying to prove they could very much live up to the 3rd console curse.

lol.

Yes, past mistakes taught vital lessons. Hubris rising once again. Lessons being learned again. Musical chairs ensues.

Game of console thrones commencing.

#24 Edited by Shewgenja (11012 posts) -

Microsoft reminds me of that one friend you had in high school that had sex with your girlfriend at the time and then finds you on Facebook after college and wants to be cool again.

#25 Posted by Telekill (5131 posts) -

@kuu2: Agreed.

Victim is not the proper word to use here as people in their position tend to be the ones metaphorically raping everyone else; not being on the receiving end.

#26 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Man victim has really been recategorized.

The only thing MSoft is a victim of is their own stupidity.

This. Completely this. Hard to be a victim when you're worth over +200 billion. Boneheaded mistakes and terrible representation of the Xbox One has led to the bad press, although its much much better in recent months:)

#27 Posted by l34052 (3321 posts) -

MS are a poisonous cancer and they deserve everything they get in the games world.

If they want sympathy from me its somewhere in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

#28 Posted by locopatho (20988 posts) -

@lhughey said:

@locopatho said:

Nope. They got the Sony PS3 cockiness but without the strong PS brand to cushion their fall. They got torn to pieces for always online, forced Kinect, media focused, 500 euro console. And I'm proud that we gamers did so.

This is always interesting to me how they say the console is "media focused". Yes, it has a lot of features, but isn't that what we want? The problem wasn't as much with the product MS delivered as much as their introduction of the product. The whole Xbone launch could be a pretty interesting business school marketing study.

The media focus has damaged the games, in that they are inferior to the PS4's. Witness all the muiltiplats with lower frame rate and resolution on XONE.

I gave the PS3 shit for it's focus on Blu Ray leading to worse multiplats last gen, XONE gets the same this gen.

Media is good, not at the cost of gaming though.

#30 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, all these lemmings voting for "kind of." Eat your lumps.

#31 Edited by Heil68 (47172 posts) -

Trying to change the industry on their own for greed is not being a victim. Good thing SONY came along and showed what by gamers for gamers can do,

#33 Posted by happyduds77 (1554 posts) -

Not even close.

I really hate Microsoft and it's primarily for popularizing online gaming fee.

I give them the middle finger just as they gave me.

#34 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9494 posts) -

-Microsoft

-Victim

Does. Not. Compute.

#35 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

Microsoft DESERVES everything they get.

You make your bed, You lie in it.

No one made their choices for them.

They are the only one to blame. Blame can not be shifted.

In before the 500 post lock rule hits?

#36 Posted by lostrib (42741 posts) -

Victim? They're a multi-billion dollar company, I think they'll be alright

#37 Posted by bezza2011 (2720 posts) -

no there not a Victim, they marketed a Multimedia box which puts games second to a gaming community, they falsely advertised that the Xbox One is an All in one box for TV to films to games. Lets make it clear it is no way shape or form an all in one box, for starters to use the cable you have to have cable, you have to then plug your cable box into your X1 box this in turn now makes it 2 boxes, it also gives you hassal and a bigger electric bill due to the fact if you want to watch tv you have to put both boxes on, not only this but with the size of games becoming larger and people wanting to use the X1 as a multimedia centre will soon realize that a 500gb harddrive which is unremovable, is just not good enough, and in turn your'll have to now buy a bigger external harddrive, this now which started out as a all in one box, has turned into 3 boxes, forget netflix or anything like that, i can get that on any device I want, skype isn't a massive thing really anymore seeing as most of us have laptops which can do this or even mobile phones on contract with free minutes. I think they missed a trick and thought they were alot bigger than they thought last E3 and just got shown up for that, no one is bigger than the consumer.

#38 Posted by cainetao11 (19529 posts) -

@freedomfreak: So very well said. It is damned if u do, damned if u don't at this point. But there are games I enjoy, and One's I look forward to coming. I buy what I make use of. The console and features has been awesome. My aging uncle even wants because he keeps losing the remote!!!

#39 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (9494 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Victim? They're a multi-billion dollar company, I think they'll be alright

Nah, they probably saw TC's thread, and are now in their rooms crying.

#40 Posted by musicalmac (23635 posts) -

I was hoping we'd get an explanation but we did not.