Michael Pachter: VR Gaming is a fad

• 78 results
#51 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@musicalmac: no i am serious. I remember in the 80's how VR was going to take over the world....it didn't. I remember when 3D films (red and green lenses) were going to be the big thing....it wasn't.

nobody saw the I-pod coming, it was something really usefull and affordable.

Virtual reality 2.0 will be a flop.

Okay, well I appreciate your opinion for sure. I think the difference here is that the technology is far better than anything we've had before. The reaction videos I've seen, especially for atmospheric horror games, is enough to convince me to jump in on day 1.

I think it's going to be so far removed from previous experiences that not only will we be in a new league, it's a completely different sport. :P

#52 Edited by sts106mat (18763 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@musicalmac: no i am serious. I remember in the 80's how VR was going to take over the world....it didn't. I remember when 3D films (red and green lenses) were going to be the big thing....it wasn't.

Virtual reality 2.0 will be a flop.

Okay, well I appreciate your opinion for sure. I think the difference here is that the technology is far better than anything we've had before. The reaction videos I've seen, especially for atmospheric horror games, is enough to convince me to jump in on day 1.

I think it's going to be so far removed from previous experiences that not only will we be in a new league, it's a completely different sport. :P

The technology is an improvement, but aren't we really just talking about better graphics and sound? Dont forget the VR of the 80's / early 90's used the same graphical technology that videogames of the time used...so the experience would have been "wow" even back then....but it didn't amount to anything

Know i will say that i haven't looked into what the whole thing is about, but is it essentially a big helmet with a 360 view which alter's either by the movement of your head / hands, or a hand held controller? if so, is that much different from your big TV with Skyrim on it. or Jumping around playing Wii sports?

I will look at it more and probably would be "wowed" by it myself, but i think facebook wasted a shit tonne of money on it

#53 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

The technology is an improvement, but aren't we really just talking about better graphics and sound? Dont forget the VR of the 80's / early 90's used the same graphical technology that videogames of the time used...so the experience would have been "wow" even back then....but it didn't amount to anything

Know i will say that i haven't looked into what the whole thing is about, but is it essentially a big helmet with a 360 view which alter's either by the movement of your head / hands, or a hand held controller? if so, is that much different from your big TV with Skyrim on it. or Jumping around playing Wii sports?

I will look at it more and probably would be "wowed" by it myself, but i think facebook wasted a shit tonne of money on it

Common now, you admit you don't know anything about it but you think FB wasted money buying it. ;)

Look up reaction videos. Big TVs don't make people react like Rift does. I think it's going to wow you more than you imagine.

#54 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -
#55 Posted by sts106mat (18763 posts) -
#56 Posted by LordQuorthon (5244 posts) -

@musicalmac: Nah. He's right. VR, smart glasses, all that stuff is not going anywhere. It's just too nerdy. Normal people won't accept it. It won't go mainstream.

#57 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@musicalmac: now i think you are being sarcastic lol

Really?? I think it looks like a ton of fun.

@musicalmac: Nah. He's right. VR, smart glasses, all that stuff is not going anywhere. It's just too nerdy. Normal people won't accept it. It won't go mainstream.

Rift and Google Glass aren't on the same level. One has received universal praise and interest, and the other one just classified a whole new group of people deemed to be glass holes. Mmmhmm.

#58 Posted by sts106mat (18763 posts) -

@musicalmac: I dont see how that will be much different to what we have now. I mean, the amazing spiderman ride at universal studios is incredible....thats more real than Virtual reality, but it's an enormous step up from a videogame. Virtual reality isn't anywhere close to be a huge step. When i play games (even 3m from my TV) i am 100% tuned in and engaged anyway, i dont need a big helmet on to help me feel immersed.

sorry to disagree, i dont want to make you feel bad or anything. i just, having seen it before, dont think it's going to do anything...

I'll Happily admit if i turn out to be wrong though.

#59 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@musicalmac: I dont see how that will be much different to what we have now. I mean, the amazing spiderman ride at universal studios is incredible....thats more real than Virtual reality, but it's an enormous step up from a videogame. Virtual reality isn't anywhere close to be a huge step. When i play games (even 3m from my TV) i am 100% tuned in and engaged anyway, i dont need a big helmet on to help me feel immersed.

sorry to disagree, i dont want to make you feel bad or anything. i just, having seen it before, dont think it's going to do anything...

I'll Happily admit if i turn out to be wrong though.

No worries, I've got a pretty thick Internet skin. ;)

And for both our sakes, I also hope you end up wrong and have to admit it. Make sure to @ me.

#60 Posted by kuu2 (6818 posts) -
#61 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@musicalmac:

How a player reacts has nothing to do whether they have a helmet on, or just sitting in front of a tv. It has to do with the content they are engaging with. Watch some YouTubers do walkthroughs of say...Outlast or The Last of Us for example. How engaging, and successfully produced the content is, is what fuels immersion, not a piece of hardware on your head.

#62 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

How a player reacts has nothing to do whether they have a helmet on, or just sitting in front of a tv. It has to do with the content they are engaging with. Watch some YouTubers do walkthroughs of say...Outlast or The Last of Us for example. How engaging, and successfully produced the content is, is what fuels immersion, not a piece of hardware on your head.

I disagree strongly. lol

The content is obviously important, but if you don't have the comfort of peripheral vision to aid you in a game like Outlast, it's all going to be far more immersive and frightening.

#63 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@musicalmac: you aren't exactly disagreeing strongly. :-\

I'm guessing that many of the gamers that are excited for this new wave of vr, are probably youngsters and haven't been around for the previous installments, and this is their first taste if it.

#64 Edited by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

you aren't exactly disagreeing strongly. :-\

I'm guessing that many of the gamers that are excited for this new wave of vr, are probably youngsters and haven't been around for the previous installments, and this is their first taste if it.

Oh yes, I'm disagreeing strongly, hehe.

I think it's being underestimated in a big way by a healthy handful of people. Carmack, the great John Carmack, believed in it so much he left his baby, id Software, to pursue a career developing for the VR headset. Oculus has also attracted other gaming big wigs, and with it, a ton of talent. Now they've attracted oodles of money thanks to FaceBook.

To ignore all these factors, factors that no other previous VR attempt had to offer, with technology unlike any previous VR attempt had access to, is likely what the grandpa gamers will be doing.

Got old knees on you, gramps. Get with the times.

#65 Edited by mems_1224 (45794 posts) -

I now look forward to VR becoming the dominant form of gaming in the near future.

For that to happen it would have to go mainstream and that is gonna take time and lots of money. Would you want to go to best buy to try the latest VR headset?

#66 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27219 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

I now look forward to VR becoming the dominant form of gaming in the near future.

For that to happen it would have to go mainstream and that is gonna take time and lots of money. Would you want to go to best buy to try the latest VR headset?

The Pach has spoken and so it shall be verily the opposite.

#67 Posted by musicalmac (22666 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

The Pach has spoken and so it shall be verily the opposite.

lol, one can't help but agree.

#69 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

I seriously think VR is the next step for digital entertainment. People seem to think that other people won't like the idea of wearing a headset... you do know there are things called Silent Discos, where you only listen to music through a headset in a club. I mean I find that more bananas than being totall emersed in something.

Facebook were smart to buy Oculus because they know from a business standpoint this could be massive. I mean this could be the next device to have within your home. Just imagine wathing digital content that is made with 360 cameras so you can look around and see everything. Imagine watching a film and being in the presense of a charaters head and being able to look around. The possibilites are huge.

#70 Edited by AznbkdX (3114 posts) -

Nah VR is the future. Right now though... modern virtual reality is still in its very early stages so it won't probably amount to much.

#71 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#72 Posted by Sharp-Shooter89 (112 posts) -

not going to listen to a guy who says "i dont know why they cant do RTS like total war series on a console, a controller would be just fine"

#73 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

he's right.

the occulus rift looks exactly like every other hyped up headset that failed miserably over the last 20 years.

the battle cry of "BUT THIS TIME IT'S DIFFERENT!" makes me laugh.

people flat out can't stand wearing that shyt on their heads for any length of time.

#74 Posted by c0mplex (15382 posts) -

If this is what Pachter thinks, this basically confirms VR will become widely adopted.

#75 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5069 posts) -
#76 Edited by fugwit (477 posts) -

Now that VR has been given the "patcher endorsement" Nintendo will now announce virtual wiiality project

#77 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Virtual reality 2.0 will be a flop. there is no point to it.

Augmented reality devices, maybe.

Price has been the main obstacle, and phone displays have finally helped devs overcome it. I've been waiting my entire life for proper VR to become affordable...

#78 Posted by schu (9217 posts) -

I think he is partially right. I used the rift and it was freaking awesome, but it made me feel like I was gonna barf and I had to take it off. I could not keep the thing on my head without feeling increasingly ill. I think it is the future, but until that problem is solved (meaning it doesn't make the average person feel ill) that its gonna be a bit before it can really take off.

#79 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8597 posts) -

For once I agree with Pachter. I'll go on record saying that I think motion control gaming has far better potential than VR headsets.

#80 Edited by KHAndAnime (13165 posts) -

I think VR fans are living in a pipe-dream if they actually think VR is going to become the regular new way to play games. It's never going to be more than an expensive accessory that is only supported by a handful of new games at any given time.

#81 Posted by airshocker (28322 posts) -

We shall see.

#82 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3794 posts) -

i'm on the record for saying i thought 4K would be better than VR.

well, I watched some VR footage of Project Cars, and I have to say ... I was pretty impressed.

Now obviously driving games are a bit special, because you don't have to look at your own wheel in order to drive the car. You have the VR helmet on, you know where the pedals, gearbox etc is. I guess it would be a pain if you had to hit some other buttons or something - but basically I can see VR working pretty damn well for driving games.

i can see it working pretty well for 100% controller based games as well.

however, i'm hardly sold on VR. i'm still keening on 4K because its a technology with utilitarian advantages - and I love utilitarianism. however, at least VR is totally different, whereas 4K quadruples (assumption: coming from 1080P) pixel count.