Michael Pachter Tells Gamers, "F*** You!"

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

This months Evolve Issue of Game Informer Magazine contains a spectacular read with much maligned Wedbush Security's analyst, Michael Pachter... When asked...

"Could you give our readers an explanation of what you do as an analyst, how you approach your job and what you base your opinions on"

Pachter responded with...

"I think the most important thing for them to understand isbeing a consumer is largely irrelevant. These guys who spout off [say], "He doesnt know anything about games, I finished Halo in six hours." I'm like. "**** YOU,' who cares if you can play games, I'm just sayin, "Big Fuckin Deal?" Whats the prerequisite of playing Call of Duty? $60. There are no barriers of entry to play games. So, you're a gamer, who cares? Nobody listens to me because I'm better at call of duty or battlefield than the other analysts. That's irrelevant. I don't think it matters if you play them at all. What matter is that I understand the business so I help investors..."

All hail the king ladies and gentleman.... Pachter just dropped the mic.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I don't think he's wrong though. Purely based on that comment.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I'm sorry, Michael who?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yeah that's right. pachter has a job to do, and his outputs are relevant for investors, not gamers.

good thread though zakk wylde.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator

@freedomfreak: Nor do I... I actually just read the entire article and thought, damn this guys a cowboy, love him or hate him. He is absolutely right in that comment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

Someone who makes money by talking shit and pretending to be a friendly uncle. Dupes alot of people.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

I would think that the statement is a given, but a lot of people tend to have shortcomings with common sense.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

Someone who makes money by talking shit and pretending to be a friendly uncle. Dupes alot of people.

lol have any proof to back that up? Or are you jelly he makes more money in a month than you'll make in a lifetime?

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I've never once heard anyone criticize the guy because he's not as good at videogames as they are. He's criticized because he has the most asinine opinions imaginable. Literally, almost NOTHING he's ever predicted has ever come true. He's a joke who barely hasn't the slightest grasp on the videogame market. He said the PC market is all but dead. He said Nintendo should stop making consoles (never mind that the vast majority of their profits come from hardware, NOT software), etc etc. Shit there's entire articles detailing all the predictions this guy has gotten wrong (see here and here ).

Pachter is pathetic scum that makes his living by bullshiting on a professional level. All stock analysts, stock brokers, or any other person giving you advice about how to invest in the stock market are scum. Why? BECAUSE NO ONE HAS A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THE MARKET WILL DO!! NONE! NO FUCKING CLUE!!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

lol have any proof to back that up? Or are you jelly he makes more money in a month than you'll make in a lifetime?

My friend, I have self respect the most valuable commodity any man can have.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I've always liked Michael Pachter.

I've also always hated the gaming community outside of a few choice waifus and husbandos here and there.

It truly is amazing the level of arrogance, and ignorance, that flies around places like System Wars and other gaming communities. Like, the amount of hatred some companies get, or the level of idiocy people apply to certain discussions about where gaming should head, or why it's in the toilet now, or whatever.

Pachter isn't always correct, but at least he brings discussions to light, and tries to explain his viewpoint with some semblance of logic. It's not just "COCK A DOODIE: BLACK OPZ 7 SHOULD DIE CUZ FUDGE CRAPTIVISION~!!!!1!!!!111!1!!"

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The guy just seems like he wants to create a big splash and make a name for himself. He is right gamers don't need him, but we always flock to his bullshit, only to find it was wrong.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

@treedoor said:

Pachter isn't always correct, but at least he brings discussions to light, and tries to explain his viewpoint with some semblance of logic. It's not just "COCK A DOODIE: BLACK OPZ 7 SHOULD DIE CUZ FUDGE CRAPTIVISION~!!!!1!!!!111!1!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8R4BAQf7is

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

I would feel so fucking horrible about myself if I was working in his position, that I quite honestly would consider killing myself. And I am not joking. Bullshiting people out of their money is something only disgusting pieces of shit feel comfortable doing. If you think he has some great job, then honestly, I feel bad for you.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#15  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Well he's not wrong. I know games but not the business. I can pretend I know the business, critiquing Microsoft and their focus on Kinect or lambasting Nintendo with hate-speech because of their recent troubles, but I don't have much of an idea what is going on with those companies at the corporate level and why they choose to do the things they do. I just play the games they make available to me.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

That asshole is so stupid. I've heard them say some of the worst advice/opinions other companies should be doing.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

The thing is, he doesn't really know what he's talking about on the business end either.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, I'd agree with him on that. If that kind of shit actually happens.

Thing is, when I see people laughing at Pachters predictions, not once have I seen someone denounce him because of a lack of gaming skill or experience. So I'm really not sure what that's all about.

Usually when people are laughing at Pachter it's because his predictions are so far off base and it seems like he in fact doesn't understand the business.

Now obviously he does to some extent or he wouldn't continue to have a job. But his predictions that are made public are often times so disconnected from reality that it's pretty easy to see why he catches so much flak from gamers.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

What? People actually say stuff like that about Pachter? Thought people only made fun of how inaccurate he is.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

The problem is with Pachter is that he doesn't realize many gamers know the business better than an analyst like himself. He wouldn't be able to differentiate an upcoming flop that is hyped purely by advertising between an upcoming gem that is being spread purely by word of mouth - because he doesn't play many games and knows what's actually unique, special, or innovative. Some of the biggest game successes are the ones that aren't planned. Many gamers and myself, for example, knew DayZ would be a giant commercial success, but Pachter would've had absolutely no idea until way after the fact.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@freedomfreak said:

I've never once heard anyone criticize the guy because he's not as good at videogames as they are. He's criticized because he has the most asinine opinions imaginable. Literally, almost NOTHING he's ever predicted has ever come true. He's a joke who barely hasn't the slightest grasp on the videogame market. He said the PC market is all but dead. He said Nintendo should stop making consoles (never mind that the vast majority of their profits come from hardware, NOT software), etc etc. Shit there's entire articles detailing all the predictions this guy has gotten wrong (see here and here ).

Pachter is pathetic scum that makes his living by bullshiting on a professional level. All stock analysts, stock brokers, or any other person giving you advice about how to invest in the stock market are scum. Why? BECAUSE NO ONE HAS A FUCKING CLUE WHAT THE MARKET WILL DO!! NONE! NO FUCKING CLUE!!

actually, i think i'm going to invest in a keyboard manufacturer. it seems to me people get angry on the internet and they might break their keyboards.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@cfisher2833 said:

I've never once heard anyone criticize the guy because he's not as good at videogames as they are.

Wrong. He does get criticized for it.

Hell, people were always on his case back in the day, calling him a casual, because he liked playing Wii with his family.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

I would feel so fucking horrible about myself if I was working in his position, that I quite honestly would consider killing myself. And I am not joking. Bullshiting people out of their money is something only disgusting pieces of shit feel comfortable doing. If you think he has some great job, then honestly, I feel bad for you.

You got this spot on cfisher2833. Well done, what I've wanted to say about Patcher many times.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#24 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I agree with him. He doesn't need to play games to guide investors. If his industry of interest was pharmaceutical, I doubt he'd be trying every drug on the shelf.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@cfisher2833: I feel bad for you. To live life just generalizing people is such a pathetic defense mechanism. I was series 7 registered from 93-96 and not everyone in that field is a shyster.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

So much negativity here. Must be fun being a vocal hater of a public figure.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

Again somebody with no proof. And trust me you'll be shocked to find out if he is bullshitting people out of money and are worried about him the most. You're shit out of luck because there are far worse people out there than michael pachter.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

The Cows hero a few weeks ago when he was making predictions about the PS4 stomping on The One. Hahahahahah.......... Patcher is Patcher and will always be a tool in my eyes no matter what he says.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Eh I wouldn't say it's completely irrelevant to know about games to back up your business guess work.

"Nobody listens to me because I'm better at call of duty or battlefield than the other analysts. "

Well it's not like anybody listens to you regardless Pachter. You idiot.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator

@cfisher2833 said:

@freedomfreak said:

I've never seen an angrier post in my life...

relax brah... he's trolling you from a magazine.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I don't listen to Patcher much. I've made better predictions then he has in the last year. Maybe I should become a gaming analyst. Patcher makes so many obvious predictions, that no one would need him to tell us the prediction.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator

@blackace said:

I don't listen to Patcher much. I've made better predictions then he has in the last year. Maybe I should become a gaming analyst. Patcher makes so many obvious predictions, that no one would need him to tell us the prediction.

whats funny is he goes on to say that EA and Activision are always safe bets and 2K isnt because they never give a clear path of what they'll release....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Well for once he's not wrong. lol

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

He's right. BUT.....he's not that good at the business side of things either. The problem is that to understand the business side of things, you also have to be part of the consumer group. Business is largely related to consumer perception, but if he has never bought or played a game in his life, how can he possibly see the future prospect of things?

That's like being a stock analyst but never buying a single stock in your life. Surely you can read up articles about how well company's are doing, but how can you gauge the market if you've never bought one before?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I may or may not share his sentiments

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Michael Pachter THE GOAT

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I understand the business

No you don't Pachter

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Well he seems to stay employed so somebody thinks he knows what he's doing.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

He's a business man, not a gamer. I think we all knew that much.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I've met Pachter he's a very smart guy, he's just not a gamer.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

He's not saying "**** you" to gamers, he's saying it to his critics that constantly rip on him.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator

@ninjapirate2000: yeeah, but isn't that one in the same? Obviously, not all gamers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hell Fucking Yeah ! Its about time somebody said it ! What took so freaking long ?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Pachter could arguably the best troll in gaming. SWs trolls could learn a lot from him.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

That's kind of a "no shit" statement. The people that he's talking about are posting in this thread. People who are actively angry with him over whatever and thinking their opinion is well, worth putting out there.

I mean we're all in the same boat here on this forum, making comments on a hobby we love and in the end, none of this is worth much... but to get angry over this stuff? Like damn, the amount of effort to be that emotional...

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Oh well Gamers have been telling Pachter F*** YOU since 2005, not to mention he's got a track record of being right worse than the Weather Man.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

The problem is with Pachter is that he doesn't realize many gamers know the business better than an analyst like himself.

No way. Pachter definitely knows the business better than 99% of gamers, easily. He is in constant contact with people at all the major publishers, manufacturers and retailers. He is talking to people in the industry all the time, and even constantly challenging their ideas and positions. He has insights no regular gamer could possibly have.

And his predictions are right 90% of the time. It just so happens that when he gets one wrong it makes all the news. When he is right no one talks about it.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Well, **** you too then.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I want a Dad like him

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46202 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I'm sorry, Michael who?

Michael Pachter, the guy who gets a SW thread everytime he says something stupid.