MGS5... where is all the ridiculous hype?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

Oh yeah, it's not an exclusive. So it loses it's deity status.

I mean.. many cows on this board still act like MGS4 is one of the all time greatest games. 10/10 GOTY OMFG BEST GFX OF THE YEAR OMG!11!!!

Nobody would shut up about it for years leading up to release and even to this day some cows still bring it up as an ace.

So shouldn't MGS5 get the same treatment? It is the sequel to this "godly" game, right?

Kind of makes you wonder if some of these new exclusives on the horizon deserve so much hype. It's almost as if some of you guys care more about a brand than the quality of a game. :O

Nah, nobody would hype mediocre looking games just because of the system they happen to be on. No way.

I know this goes both ways (that's what she said) but a certain faction likes to take it overboard.

Also, this picture gave me a mild chuckle. Would be funny if I got banned for an illustration of alien genitals.

#2 Edited by narutosup (1571 posts) -

Ground Zero is a 2-4 hour game with no multiplayer, who would be excited for that? MGS4 was 15-30 hours + with multiplayer and it was Solid Snake last mission.

Ground Zero is a prequel.

#3 Posted by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

I would be more interested if there was more information about the whole game. I'm still interested in MGS5 and whatever Kojima cranks out, but there's nothing to hype over at the moment.

#4 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

Ground Zero is a 2-4 hour game with no multiplayer, who would be excited for that? MGS4 was 15-30 hours + with multiplayer and it was Solid Snake last mission.

Yes, Ground Zeroes is an intro mission akin to the Tanker in MGS2, or the Virtuous mission in MGS3. Only it's being sold in advance for those who can't wait. Not really sure what that has to do with this topic though.

#5 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@PSdual_wielder said:

I would be more interested if there was more information about the whole game. I'm still interested in MGS5 and whatever Kojima cranks out, but there's nothing to hype over at the moment.

Same could have been said early on regarding MGS4... actually we got more info on this game faster than MGS4. It took a couple of years before we were even shown any gameplay for MGS4.

Point is, this game isn't getting hyped to the heavens because it's not an exclusive. Simple as that.

This trailer right here which showed us nothing about MGS4 still had cows hyping it to the heavens.

#6 Posted by narutosup (1571 posts) -

@narutosup said:

Yes, Ground Zeroes is an intro mission akin to the Tanker in MGS2, or the Virtuous mission in MGS3. Only it's being sold in advance for those who can't wait. Not really sure what that has to do with this topic though.

I thought this thread was about the upcoming game Ground Zero.

#7 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@narutosup said:

I thought this thread was about the upcoming game Ground Zero.

No, no, it's about MGS5 in general which Ground Zeroes is a small part of.

#8 Posted by jhcho2 (4373 posts) -

Why would there be 'ridiculous hype' for Ground Zeroes which is little more than 2 hours long.....or Phantom Pain which has an unannounced release date?

#9 Posted by Zassimick (6343 posts) -

Personally, I'm not even sure why I'm not hyped for MGS5. I really enjoyed MGS4 and other MGS games but when I heard about this one, rather than be surprised I just said okay.

I somewhat attribute it to the fact that MGS4 was supposed to be Kojima's "final" MGS; while I believe he's said this for others, I took it that way and almost enjoyed the experience more because of it. But now, Phantom Pain is on the way and while it's shaping up to be a good-looking prequel I just can't find a reason to care.

Maybe that will change closer to release.

#10 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

You are an idiot, mgs5 is still a year from releasing all we get now is a 2h demo.

#11 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@jhcho2 said:

Why would there be 'ridiculous hype' for Ground Zeroes which is little more than 2 hours long.....or Phantom Pain which has an unannounced release date?

I never brought up Ground Zeroes. It's funny watching you guys try to deflect the obvious here.

MGS4 didn't have a release date or even a screen shot when the killer hype started, and it was getting killer hype for 3 years straight leading up to release.

You see, that's the point. You're right, there shouldn't be ridiculous hype. Unlike it's predecessors, MGS5 is being treated as a regular game.

This topic isn't even so much about MGS5, this just happens to be a great example of how stupid the majority of fanboys are regarding exclusives.

I know it couldn't happen, but if Naughty Dogs games went multiplat you would suddenly see a decline in all the cheerleading for their games.

#12 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

You are an idiot, mgs5 is still a year from releasing all we get now is a 2h demo.

Must be one of three things. You lack basic comprehension skills, you're in denial, or you simply didn't read anything past the topic title.

#13 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

i remember there was this orange font guy, who, the day after the new mgs trailer released - put in his sig 'metal gear solid 5 is the best game ever made' (what was his name?)

they banned him.

that is the reason why there is no hype, the entire potential fanbase for a new mgs got banned.

#14 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

No hype for this game.

#15 Posted by Zassimick (6343 posts) -

This topic isn't even so much about MGS5, this just happens to be a great example of how stupid the majority of fanboys are regarding exclusives.

I know it couldn't happen, but if Naughty Dogs games went multiplat you would suddenly see a decline in all the cheerleading for their games.

Well you're not entirely wrong. Uncharted PS4 has really only been confirmed, even before that it was at the top of people's lists. With MGS5, we're getting a taste of what the full game will be like with Ground Zeroes and then we've also seen footage of the actual game, much more than what we know about Uncharted yet Uncharted carries much more hype.

Would this be the same if MGS was exclusive? That's the question you're asking and, sadly, we can't say with 100% certainty if the MGS brand has just worn itself out or if it is due to going multiplatform.

#16 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

i remember there was this orange font guy, who, the day after the new mgs trailer released - put in his sig 'metal gear solid 5 is the best game ever made' (what was his name?)

they banned him.

that is the reason why there is no hype, the entire potential fanbase for a new mgs got banned.

Was it mozzepple(sp?)

Probably, sounds like him.

Anyways, just pointing out some of the funny inconsistencies of fanboys.

Say for example the Ground Zeroes demo was exclusive to PS4... You'd have cows hyping it beyond belief and on the flip side you'd have lems joking on cows for buying a demo. It would be a big subject on this board right now.

MGS4 didn't even need a screenshot to become the most hyped game on this board, but MGS5 is treated as just another game.

#17 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

Well you're not entirely wrong. Uncharted PS4 has really only been confirmed, even before that it was at the top of people's lists. With MGS5, we're getting a taste of what the full game will be like with Ground Zeroes and then we've also seen footage of the actual game, much more than what we know about Uncharted yet Uncharted carries much more hype.

Would this be the same if MGS was exclusive? That's the question you're asking and, sadly, we can't say with 100% certainty if the MGS brand has just worn itself out or if it is due to going multiplatform.

Well at least you see where I'm coming from on this. But I'd still say it has much more to do with multiplat than just getting worn down. Most of the guys hyping MGS4 on this board weren't even fans of the series, just people jumping on the exclusives bandwagon.

#18 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

The hype is torn between people who are still gonna buy it and the people who found out that the game is only 2-4 hours long and aren't gonna buy it now.

Personally it's a day 1 buy from me so w/e

#19 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

The hype is torn between people who are still gonna buy it and the people who found out that the game is only 2-4 hours long and aren't gonna buy it now.

Haha, not Ground Zeroes man. But yes, I'm buying it as well.

This thread is about fanboy inconsistency and exclusives more than it is about MGS5. I'm just using the game as an example.

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (7854 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid isn't a good series. The care level is very low my friends.

#21 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

.... well damn. Guess I should have just spelled it out clearly in the OP. Whether you think MGS sucks, or MGS is awesome is not the point here at all.

#22 Edited by joel_c17 (2829 posts) -

No hype because it looks like donkey dick

#24 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@joel_c17 said:

No hype because it looks like donkey dick

Yet it looks far better than its predecessor that received unbelievable amounts of hype.

#25 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: oh yeah absolutely that's exactly what they'd do.

cows like games because they are published by sony - that's it.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (39189 posts) -

Yeah, multiplat.

MGS4 was the ultimate bragging game. With this, it went out the window because it's not just Ps4 anymore.

#27 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur: Haha, nice avi man.

I need to change mine up, prison pimp is starting to get old.

#28 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

This thread is about fanboy inconsistency and exclusives more than it is about MGS5. I'm just using the game as an example.

No one knows when MGS V TPP is gonna be released and it might even get delayed if GZ does poorly. So it's hard to be in full hype mode for a game you have no idea when it's gonna be released, a prime example is CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 game, it looks very promising but we have no idea when it's gonna be released.

#29 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Ballroompirate said:

No one knows when MGS V TPP is gonna be released and it might even get delayed if GZ does poorly. So it's hard to be in full hype mode for a game you have no idea when it's gonna be released, a prime example is CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 game, it looks very promising but we have no idea when it's gonna be released.

Yeah, still not the point though. MGS4 didn't even have a screen shot before it went into full hype mode. And it maintained that killer hype all the way through 3 years even without a release date.

A trailer with no gameplay and no story running on PS2 hardware was enough to get cows in full hype mode just because it said Playstation 3.

Exclusives get ridiculous hype and multiplats don't... especially when it comes to cows.

You know that if God of War 4 got announced today with no other info whatsoever, it would be hyped like crazy anyways.

#30 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4431 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: thank you very much. your dude is pretty funny. looks so puzzled and naive.

'yo man i didn't do nothing'

#31 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner: thank you very much. your dude is pretty funny. looks so puzzled and naive.

'yo man i didn't do nothing'

Haha, just found more pics of him. Terrible person, but pretty damn funny looking.

#32 Edited by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

Must be one of three things. You lack basic comprehension skills, you're in denial, or you simply didn't read anything past the topic title.

no you are an idiot complaining that cows aren't hyping a game that is 1 year away from release.

#33 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Ground zeroes is less than 2 hours long and they are basically holding the main game ransom if GZ does badly. Not only that but it's ridiculously priced.

#34 Edited by Wiimotefan (4064 posts) -

That's how it goes people here get the biggest hard ons for exclusives. The sad thing is that MGS5 looks much better than MGS4.

One positive to come from this is that you don't have a bunch of fake fans running around singing praises. Most of the users here that glorified MGS4 weren't even familiar with the series. And MGS4 was a shit game, but you wouldn't know it from the reactions on this board.

At least with MGS5 we can cut the crap and the game will be judged on its own merits rather than being worshiped by a bunch of idiots that probably didn't even play it.

#35 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Krelian-co said:

no you are an idiot complaining that cows aren't hyping a game that is 1 year away from release.

Yeah, another strike man. Sorry. Looks like you fell into the 1st category. Probably best if you just stop responding.

#36 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Yeah, still not the point though. MGS4 didn't even have a screen shot before it went into full hype mode. And it maintained that killer hype all the way through 3 years even without a release date.

A trailer with no gameplay and no story running on PS2 hardware was enough to get cows in full hype mode just because it said Playstation 3.

Exclusives get ridiculous hype and multiplats don't... especially when it comes to cows.

You know that if God of War 4 got announced today with no other info whatsoever, it would be hyped like crazy anyways.

MGS4 was hyped cause it was suppose to be the first BIG game for last gen and Kojimas last MGS game. No one was hyped for MGS4 tell we actually got a trailer/gameplay at E3, at least around here.

As for only getting excited for exclusives, that's not just a cow thing, it's everyone around here which is sad but w/e ( btw honestly you see more lems hyping exclusives w/e they get em which is rare). Also GoW is at a point only the hardcore GoW fans care about the series, that series is so trivial now and days no one really takes it seriously anymore.

#37 Edited by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

That's how it goes people here get the biggest hard ons for exclusives. The sad thing is that MGS5 looks much better than MGS4.

You clearly weren't on the internet when mgs 4 trailers started to appear, game was a technical marvel and combined with the hype of the previous mgs 3 which was the best in the series, people had reasons to be hyped, i'm sure mgs 5 will be a great game but it doesn't have the wow factor mgs 4 had when it was released.

One positive to come from this is that you don't have a bunch of fake fans running around singing praises. Most of the users here that glorified MGS4 weren't even familiar with the series. And MGS4 was a shit game, but you wouldn't know it from the reactions on this board.

Subjective, i thought the game was incredible and deserved the 10, you must be new on how personal opinions work.

At least with MGS5 we can cut the crap and the game will be judged on its own merits rather than being worshiped by a bunch of idiots that probably didn't even play it.

Only if you say so.

#38 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

MGS4 was hyped cause it was suppose to be the first BIG game for last gen and Kojimas last MGS game. No one was hyped for MGS4 tell we actually got a trailer/gameplay at E3, at least around here.

As for only getting excited for exclusives, that's not just a cow thing, it's everyone around here which is sad but w/e ( btw honestly you see more lems hyping exclusives w/e they get em which is rare). Also GoW is at a point only the hardcore GoW fans care about the series, that series is so trivial now and days no one really takes it seriously anymore.

Kojimas been saying "this is my last MGS game" since MGS2, so it wasn't that. Also, MGS4 wasn't supposed to be the first big game, it wasn't expected to release until winter 08 and didn't actually release until June that year.

And sorry man, but MGS4 was my most anticipated game of all time, I followed everything about it with a passion. The first real trailer didn't release at E3, it was at TGS 05. But it was already well in hype mode on this board after the E3 05 "reveal". Even if you did want to say TGS 05 is when the hype started, that was still 3 years ahead of release. And even then, MGS5 has way more info and footage out there than MGS4 did at that time and still doesn't receive even a sliver of the hype.

I'm sorry man, but really, wrong on all accounts.

And yes, I know everyone does this, I made sure I put that in the OP, but cows do take it to the extreme. Either way, that is beside the point, this isn't about cows specifically, just fanboys and exclusives in general.

#39 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

As you are with all things MGS, spot on. Too bad you're such a douche when it comes to Ninja Gaiden lololol

#40 Edited by Vatusus (4437 posts) -

Well, one could say the same about Dead Rising 3... DR2 had literally almost no hype because it was a multiplat and DR3 was hyped through the roof. Of course fanboys will be fanboys and only hype exclusives or games that arent on the rivals platform (ex: TitanFall wich I'm sure if it was on PS4, it wouldnt receive a tenth of the hype its receiving now). I, for once, as a MGS fan, cant wait for MGS V (the real one, not GZ). I just dont feel like making threads about it.

#41 Posted by g0ddyX (3906 posts) -

The hype is there. But the recent reports of ground zero being 2hrs long is off putting nor is it actually MGS5. It will build up no doubt.
MGS4 came out in 2008 so of course MGS5 is going to look better.
Hype for MGS4 was immense and was matched and everything was 'rounded up'... Ah shadow moses.
Being multiplatform is a good thing, not a bad thing...as more people can play it.
We just had Metal Gear Rising too, which is a cool spin off game.

But the big issue people had was long cutscenes... and by the looks of it, MGS5/GZ will have less of it.

#42 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

Kojimas been saying "this is my last MGS game" since MGS2, so it wasn't that. Also, MGS4 wasn't supposed to be the first big game, it wasn't expected to release until winter 08 and didn't actually release until June that year.

And sorry man, but MGS4 was my most anticipated game of all time, I followed everything about it with a passion. The first real trailer didn't release at E3, it was at TGS 05. But it was already well in hype mode on this board after the E3 05 "reveal". Even if you did want to say TGS 05 is when the hype started, that was still 3 years ahead of release. And even then, MGS5 has way more info and footage out there than MGS4 did at that time and still doesn't receive even a sliver of the hype.

I'm sorry man, but really, wrong on all accounts.

And yes, I know everyone does this, I made sure I put that in the OP, but cows do take it to the extreme. Either way, that is beside the point, this isn't about cows specifically, just fanboys and exclusives in general.

I really have no idea why you think MGS4 had so much hype at TGS when it really didn't have that much hype as much as you think, at least around here. Cows didn't go full "throw MGS4 in your face mode" tell the review came out which was pretty funny when people saw the score. Outside of that the only debate/forum flood we saw around here was the whole "Is MGS4 coming to the 360" war which was fun to watch and your typical "does this game look better than anything on your system" banter.

Also people had an idea on how long MGS4 was gonna be released cause at the start of the gen people knew games (back then) took around 3-4.5+ years of development time, which later on the gen that avg went down to 2-3 years.

Also on a side note, you'll be surprised on how much people love David Hayter as Snake, that has killed a lot of hype for MGS V and for the serious fanboys of the series, I know it almost killed the hype for me when they announced Hayter wasn't voicing Snake anymore, but I got over it.

#43 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Well, one could say the same about Dead Rising 3... DR2 had literally almost no hype because it was a multiplat and DR3 was hyped through the roof. Of course fanboys will be fanboys and only hype exclusives or games that arent on the rivals platform (ex: TitanFall wich I'm sure if it was on PS4, it wouldnt receive a tenth of the hype its receiving now). I, for once, as a MGS fan, cant wait for MGS V (the real one, not GZ). I just dont feel like making threads about it.

And that's fine man, I wouldn't expect MGS fans to spam threads about it.

But yes, you're absolutely right with your other points

#44 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Personally, I'm not even sure why I'm not hyped for MGS5. I really enjoyed MGS4 and other MGS games but when I heard about this one, rather than be surprised I just said okay.

I somewhat attribute it to the fact that MGS4 was supposed to be Kojima's "final" MGS; while I believe he's said this for others, I took it that way and almost enjoyed the experience more because of it. But now, Phantom Pain is on the way and while it's shaping up to be a good-looking prequel I just can't find a reason to care.

I completely agree with you on the whole Kojima's "final" MGS thing. That's why I'm kinda not that excited about this one..

#45 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@Zassimick said:

I completely agree with you on the whole Kojima's "final" MGS thing. That's why I'm kinda not that excited about this one..

well i bet they come up with a big bag'o money and offer him to make new mgs.

#46 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

sorry, were all still buttsore from the monstrous hype of MGS 4

#47 Posted by bezza2011 (2384 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4, was an absolute blast to play, it was more of a big through back to the original and the game looked amazing, gameplay was solid.

Metal Gear Solid 5 isn't anywhere from being out and we have absolutely nothing to go on, we have been shown a few clips of stuff but nothing else on the story, it isn't about it not being an Exclusive, that there is no hype, it's the fact that Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is a prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5, yet it's turning out that this game were getting is pretty much a 4 hour game which is going to cost us $30, how can anyone hype that, until we know more that just doesn't sound good to me, it's looking like there milking it, but we have to wait and see,

#48 Posted by BigBoss255 (3538 posts) -

MGS4 was the end of the series. There were so many unanswered questions that needed answering.

We know exactly what happens in Ground Zeroes.

#49 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4799 posts) -

Yeah, been a LONG time since I made a real topic on SW. Forgot how much you have to dumb things down here so that people can understand.

Oh well, at least a few of you got it.

#50 Posted by Krelian-co (10374 posts) -

Yeah, been a LONG time since I made a real topic on SW. Forgot how much you have to dumb things down here so that people can understand.

Oh well, at least a few of you got it.

you mean when you post some dumb shit and only some agree with you because you are too damn stupid? why yes, sir!