MGS4 was the best looking console game of last year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for beastofeast1416
beastofeast1416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 beastofeast1416
Member since 2008 • 75 Posts

Apparently people have been saying MGS4 has bad graphics, check the disc and take off the fanboy glasses, say what u want about the gameplay and long cutscenes that is a solid opinion that some people agree with, but to say it looks like a last gen game, it won an award at the VGAs for best graphics. I know Gears 2 looked pretty amazing as well but in my opinion metal gear won.

swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#2 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts
Why should I care?
sillaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sillaris
Member since 2008 • 1083 Posts
lems just wont get over the fact mgs4 won goty and best graphics
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
Gears 2 looks better overall (on the outside). MGS4 has more going on and more enemies and looks really great. You could definitely make the argument that it's the most technically impressive.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
i really had a hard time deciding whether i shud vote for best one to date or there with COD and gears, but since im in love with MGS4 i say its the best one to date.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Why should I care?swazidoughman
Why do you post?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I dunno, I don't think there is 1 console game from last year that graphically stands out above all others. Aside from MGS4, there's Gears 2, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2 etc. But I guess System Wars must officially recognise MGS4 as current console graphics king because of winning the award. It doesn't matter though, it'll only hold the crown for a few more weeks.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts
MGS4 actually looked real. It was so incredibly smooth. I loved it.
Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts
sorry but Gears 2 beats it
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 swazidoughman

01-27-2009

[QUOTE="swazidoughman"]Why should I care?majadamus
Why do you post?

There's at least 10,000 threads about MGS4's graphics.

Nobody cares anymore.

It was a good game with good graphics, and the people who thought it looked bad either have weird taste or are fanboys.

anyone saying it looks bad is probably in the two groups I mentioned above.

Avatar image for EndorphinMaster
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EndorphinMaster
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts
MGS4 is a great game, but the graphics are honestly nothing special
wackapacka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 wackapacka
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts
I agree, MGS4 does look better than Gears 2(Gears 2 still looks awesome though)
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
It's a good looking game, but there's better.
Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts
Sorry, but I disagree. I didn't think MGS4 looked that much diffrent then COD4/CODWAW.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

One of my previous posts. . .

[QUOTE="The_Game21x"]

As far as I'm concerned, Gears of War 2 already looks better than MGS 4.

But, I've said it once and I'll say it again. I have not seen anything on either console that I believe couldn't be done on the other. Killzone 2 is the best looking console game I've seen without a doubt but, given the incredibly high visual bar Sony set for Guerilla with their infamous E3 05 target render its massive development budget and the fact that it has been in development for nearly four years, I don't expect much less from it.

If Microsoft was willing to spend massive amounts of money to develop a game that would compete with or possibly surpass Killzone 2 in terms of pure technical visual prowess, then I believe it could be done but they don't seem to be focused on that, for better or worse, depending on whether or not you're a graphics *****.

W1NGMAN-

I beg to differ, after playing Gears of War 2 than going back to Metal Gear Solid 4 I just think overall MGS4 was graphically the better looking game. I think there were a lot of little graphical flaws in Gear of War 2 that brought the experience down.

Metal Gear Solid had the better character models, facial expressions, character hair....Gears of War 2s cutscenes suffered cause of these graphical flaws.

Another thing I noticed between the two games was the fact it seemed like the partical effects in MGS4 were more visually noticable, with Acts 1 and 4 being the best examples.

I think Gears of War 2s main graphical attraction would be it's texturing which is solid throughout the whole game were as I would say MGS4s texture work doesn't start to look impressive till about the 3rd Act.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#16 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
I think it was ONE of the best looking console games of 2008, but not THE best.
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

lems just wont get over the fact mgs4 won goty and best graphics sillaris

Lems are not the only ones that will not get over it. Cows wont get over it either. Obviously right?

EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EndorphinMaster

[QUOTE="sillaris"]lems just wont get over the fact mgs4 won goty and best graphics IIJuggaNottII

Lems are not the only ones that will not get over it. Cows wont get over it either. Obviously right?

haha, nice. and why do people think that gamespot is the only credible source on the internet?

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Nope.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="IIJuggaNottII"]

[QUOTE="sillaris"]lems just wont get over the fact mgs4 won goty and best graphics EndorphinMaster

haha, nice. and why do people think that gamespot is the only credible source on the internet?

because you're using GS's furom...

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV were the best games last year and both had the best graphics
-DrRobotnik-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -DrRobotnik-
Member since 2008 • 5463 Posts
Maybe, but Uncharted, a 2007 game, looks better than it. I get that people are blown away by the character models (which are amazing) but you cant just forget about the often awful textures and sometimes questionable environments.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
the MGS4 is best graphics ever trend was like a month ago, its 2009 lets focus on that ok.
EndorphinMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EndorphinMaster
[QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"][QUOTE="IIJuggaNottII"]

Rockman999

if you trust one source's opinion only and neglect all other medias, you aren't a real gamer

obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts

Apparently people have been saying MGS4 has bad graphics, check the disc and take off the fanboy glasses, say what u want about the gameplay and long cutscenes that is a solid opinion that some people agree with, but to say it looks like a last gen game, it won an award at the VGAs for best graphics. I know Gears 2 looked pretty amazing as well but in my opinion metal gear won.

beastofeast1416

Actually it has some of the most last gen visuals i have seen this generation, the levels are beyond small and above empty, the textures bland most of the time, and generally feels like one of the most last gen looking offerings today

It is not THE worst looking obviously, the lighting is passable and has some good charatcer models, but is close

It is not even 720p, that is why feels so blurry

Gay-Lord-Perry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gay-Lord-Perry
Member since 2009 • 125 Posts
considering all elements of the game, yes, hence why it won best gaphics
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts
lol, man that thought it was a ps2 game was damn funny, you really have to be a fanboy to click that
-Masterchef-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Masterchef-
Member since 2007 • 10244 Posts
They were good especially on Act 2, and the graphics were overall really great, but I would say I also like GeOW's gritty solid look.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
The depth of field and atmospheric effects such as explosions, dust and snow are easily what impressed me the most about MGS4's visuals. The only noticeable shortcoming in MGS4's visuals were of course the textures.
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts
MGS4 suffers from a low native resolution that isn't considered to be HD, below 30FPS average frame rate, low poly characters, low rez textures, doesn't support split screen, and several other things and this is after being forced to install the game serveral times. Overall MGS4 isn't very impressive in any area, and when compared to games like Gears of war 2 that can do these things much better, while still being able to have larger more detailed maps, more enemies on screen and pushing new technologies introduced into the unreal 3.5 engine it should be easy to see that MGS4 while good is not the best.
Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

MGS4 suffers from a low native resolutionthat isn't considered to be HD, below 30FPS average frame rate, low poly characters, low rez textures, doesn't support split screen, and several other things and this is after being forced to install the game serveral times. Overall MGS4 isn't very impressive in any area, and when compared to games like Gears of war 2 that can do these things much better, while still being able to have larger more detailed maps, more enemies on screen and pushing new technologies introduced into the unreal 3.5 engine it should be easy to see that MGS4 while good is not the best.opex07

I doubt the credibility of any of those posts, especially the forums you linked to because I know for a fact halo 3 runs a a lower resolution then stated, the framerate I didn't test it but I didn't notice it drop once while playing and if you read the third article you posted you would find that the characters have high poly counts.

And gears 2 like everyother game what runs on the unreal engine does not look realistic in any shape or form and rely's to much on horrible lighting and the textures aren't very impressive and the blood effects in gears 3 are appalling

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockman999"][QUOTE="EndorphinMaster"]

EndorphinMaster

if you trust one source's opinion only and neglect all other medias, you aren't a real gamer

LOL so that's the definition of real gamer.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts

I doubt the credibility of any of those posts, especially the forums you linked to because I know for a fact halo 3 runs a a lower resolution then stated, the framerate I didn't test it but I didn't notice it drop once while playing and if you read the third article you posted you would find that the characters have high poly counts.

And gears 2 like everyother game what runs on the unreal engine does not look realistic in any shape or form and rely's to much on horrible lighting

All_that_is_Man

Beyond 3D was responsible for finding out that halo 3 was below HD resolutions, and is quoted in many different parts of the gaming industry. The characters also do not have high poly counts, Gears of War 1 had almost 3 times the amount of poly's in its characters.

Gears 2 is also the only current game running on the updated unreal engine, and is more realistic when compared to the characters in MGS4 that have no changes in flesh color, and are comprised of only one solid color, but that isn't really a technical problem but more of an artistic decision.

_Brennan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 _Brennan_
Member since 2008 • 3241 Posts
It holds the honor of best looking console game until February 27th ;)
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
MGS4 looked good, but ti was not the best looking game.
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 swazidoughman
[QUOTE="beastofeast1416"]

obamanian

Actually it has some of the most last gen visuals i have seen this generation, the levels are beyond small and above empty, the textures bland most of the time, and generally feels like one of the most last gen looking offerings today

It is not THE worst looking obviously, the lighting is passable and has some good charatcer models, but is close

It is not even 720p, that is why feels so blurry

At least it looks better than this garbage

Just look at all of those crappy textures, the bad foliage, and the sub par lighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#38 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
Maybe it was just on the excellent TV I saw it on, but I thought Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts was very damn good looking.