MGS 5 information blowout

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

from gaff, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763859. why cant they just make ground zeroes the starting mission for phantom pain ffs. the only info i dont like is 'The countdown when spotted is gone, now the player has to listen to the enemies’ radio conversations to know when the coast is clear', i like the countdown

Here is a summary of the most important bits of information on

Ground Zeroes

• Binoculars are more useful than before thanks to the marking feature, which can also be switched off through the menu.
  • Guard patrols are much wider and more unpredictable than in previous games.
  • Line of sight is ‘especially impressive’, allowing players to aim through narrow jail cell bars and the like.
  • Inventory is now accessible through the d-pad. Tapping the button once switches weapons and items quickly, while holding it opens the entire collection of weapons in that class.
  • When spotted, the on screen indicator fills with color as the enemy becomes more suspicious.
  • The second screen app lets players use their tablet or phone as a map, and can also be used to listen to audio files and view mission info, providing a tactical advantage.
  • The countdown when spotted is gone, now the player has to listen to the enemies’ radio conversations to know when the coast is clear.
  • According to Game Informer, the slow motion mechanic (Reflex Mode) will be useful even for long time fans, and ‘feels more like a nice bonus than an easy crutch’. It can only be successfully pulled off if Snake’s gun is loaded and there aren’t any obstacles in the way.
  • When interrogating a soldier in choke hold, any information he tells on ammo or secret passages will automatically be marked on the map. Snake also collects the soldier’s ammo by doing this.
  • Controlling vehicles such as jeeps and tanks ‘is a blast’.
  • Adjusting to the voice of Snake takes some time, but according to Game Informer Sutherland does a wonderful job and adds a layer of emotion, having ‘the chops to convey the soldier’s shaky grip on his dramatic life’.
  • Game Informer beat the story mission in under two hours, and Konami says testers could speed run it in 5 minutes. How long it takes to complete the story mission and explore the camp is up to the player, but the extra missions add some replay value to the game.
  • The extra daytime missions show off ‘how impressive the Fox Engine looks when fully lit’, with the PS4 version being the most beautiful.
  • Collecting the XOF patches Skull Face throws out of the helicopter will unlock the Deja / Jamais Vu missions.
  • The Deja Vu mission changes Camp Omega into a landscape reminiscent of Shadow Moses, including the music, lighting and even Miller doing impersonations over the CODEC. Beating it will unlock the polygonal Solid Snake skin.
  • In the Jamais Vu mission player control Raiden defeating Snatchers. He won’t have a sword but he is faster than Snake.
  • While consumers might feel shortchanged by this new distribution method, Konami’s reason for doing this is to ‘prolong engagement of the next iteration of the series’.
  • Game Informer concludes that with Ground Zeroes providing a ‘tantalizing taste of the beloved stealth franchise’s next evolution’, fans have ‘a lot to look forward to’.

And here is some new information on Metal Gear Solid V’s main portion,

The Phantom Pain:

• When asked about Big Boss’s coma, Kojima replied: ‘There’s only once he’s in a coma, and to explain that you need to play toward the end of The Phantom Pain. There it will come together. You’ll be like, ‘Oh, that’s what happened!”
  • In The Phantom Pain, Kojima want to depict that you never come back from war unscratched. His characters losing limbs is one example.
  • The Afghanistan level shows ‘incredible draw distance’.
  • Creatures are present in the landscape, such as sheep and goats, and they all look very realistic.
  • The Phantom Pain is not one big world, but rather a collection of different areas, in different parts of the world.
  • Not every area in The Phantom Pain will have many enemies, so the player won’t have the constant stress that he feels playing Ground Zeroes.
  • At the end of Ground Zeroes an underground nuclear testing facility, abandoned by South Africa in 1977 is mentioned, likely the new location of Mother Base (Outer Heaven).
  • Unlike in Ground Zeroes, in The Phantom Pain you can recruit soldiers by Fulton Recovery.
  • Bases will be more interactive than before. You can walk around your own base and do different things. In addition, you can also visit other people’s bases online.
  • As stated before, progress made in Ground Zeroes is transferred to The Phantom Pain, giving people who played the prologue a ‘clear advantage’
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'm liking the info so far. It seems like some of the better parts of MGS3 mixed with many of the promises that weren't delivered in MGS4 mixed with some of the cooler aspects of Peace Walker that added a lot of replayability.

Sounds good.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Shut up and take my drebin points!

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

"Konami says testers could speed run it in 5 minutes"

That's not really something to brag about...

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

I dunno. Maybe they forced em to do it.

We don't know a whoe lot and i'll hold my breath as some people just destroy games in less then 10 minutes

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

Day one buy for me! Keeps sounding better and better. Can't wait for Phantom Pain either. Gamespots next 10 out of 10?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

"The extra daytime missions show off ‘how impressive the Fox Engine looks when fully lit’, with the PS4 version being the most beautiful."

Thank you based Kojima, TLHBO.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

We don't know a whoe lot and i'll hold my breath as some people just destroy games in less then 10 minutes

Yeah it sort of sounds like there's a lot of distractions and side missions to do which is good if it bumps the length up considerably.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Yeah, lots of games can be ripped to shreds like that.

Years ago this guy I knew who never played MGS decided to play my copy of MGS3. He started on the Operation Snake Eater mission and got to the boss fight with Ocelot in about 5 minutes... For most people that's about 2 hours of gameplay, but he just ran in a straight line through each area setting off all kinds of alerts. The game was so broken that the guards couldn't bring you down fast enough to stop you. And this is the MGS game that everyone praises.

Beyond that, all the games in the series have ridiculous speed run times. I got MGS2 down to about 2.5 hours one time and I'm not nearly as fast as the serious speed runners.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner

Also from what it seems, this game will share a lot of similarities with Peace Walker, which should give plenty of incentive to replay missions. Maybe speed running the mission is one of the goals.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Animal-Mother

@bobbetybob said:
@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Yeah it sort of sounds like there's a lot of distractions and side missions to do which is good if it bumps the length up considerably.

Yeah, I think what people fail to realize is game time is rounded out to a final number and should be inherently bumped up by the user due to things such as distractions and side missions and so on

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Animal-Mother

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@bobbetybob said:

Yeah, lots of games can be ripped to shreds like that.

Years ago this guy I knew who never played MGS decided to play my copy of MGS3. He started on the Operation Snake Eater mission and got to the boss fight with Ocelot in about 5 minutes... For most people that's about 2 hours of gameplay, but he just ran in a straight line through each area setting off all kinds of alerts. The game was so broken that the guards couldn't bring you down fast enough to stop you. And this is the MGS game that everyone praises.

Beyond that, all the games in the series have ridiculous speed run times. I got MGS2 down to about 2.5 hours one time and I'm not nearly as fast as the serious speed runners.

Yeah it's really incredible what some people can do. Back in my hayday I used to be able to do RE2 (one scenario) in under two hours.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Sounds pretty good... but I hope they make some kind of bundle for the actual game when it comes out to include both.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

Sounds pretty good... but I hope they make some kind of bundle for the actual game when it comes out to include both.

better yet include it as a pre order bonus. i dont pre order games but i would for that

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

I wasn't going to buy it straight away anyway. Gonna wait for the inevitable bundle with the Phantom Pain.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I shall wait for the MGS5 complete edition but i'm liking what i am hearing so far

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ConanTheStoner

@ghostwarrior786: @aaronmullan: @Joedgabe:

Guys I'm pretty certain that this is the intro mission to MGS5. Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are two parts of the same game.

Not really different than the some of the previous titles.

MGS2 had the small Tanker mission then the rest of the game was the Plant.

MGS3 had the small Virtuous mission followed by the main game, Operation Snake Eater.

Ground Zeroes will set up some back story and get the player accustomed to the gameplay mechanics. In Phantom Pain, everything will start to expand and you'll get into the base management stuff and start picking missions freely.

So yeah, no need to worry, it's all going to be one game, this is just a quick cash in.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Damn, sounds really good ! I'm ready.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Does sound good!

I don't like the idea of them releasing Ground Zeroes ahead of the full game for such a high price, but it's actually a good sign.

When they developed MGS2 they made sure that the gameplay mechanics and AI were ironed out before they started designing levels and fleshing out different scenarios. Kind of a Nintendo approach to development. On the other hand with MGS4 they tried working everything up all at once. Because of that MGS4 was having major gameplay issues right up until release and some of those issues, especially in regards to AI, made it into the final game unfortunately.

If they're confident enough to release a portion of the game this early then it would seem that they went back to the approach they used for MGS2. So the gameplay is already established and well tested and now they're just creating content. This is good to know.

I'll probably be picking up a PS4 for this.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

• Binoculars are more useful than before thanks to the marking feature, which can also be switched off through the menu.

Wow, a feature that has already been in Rainbow Six Vegas back in 2006. I see Kojima has a lot of catching up to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts

looking forward to it.

the voice change will get some time to get used to.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joedgabe

@ConanTheStoner: Oh i know it is. I just wish they have a bundle set up when the 2nd part of the game comes out, which would be the main content of the game from what i've read. It would be a drag to just play the intro of the game and then having to wait. Like watching half a season of a show and waiting for the other half. Feels like a drag, and I rather have it all in one package if it's possible rather than 2.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#23  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Game Informer beat the story mission in under two hours, and Konami says testers could speed run it in 5 minutes. How long it takes to complete the story mission and explore the camp is up to the player, but the extra missions add some replay value to the game.

That doesn't even make sense :/

Reading some of the comments here - are you people really going to buy this? Even after yesterday? Its 2 hrs for $30 or more...Who cares how good the guard patrols are.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@Joedgabe said:

@ConanTheStoner: Oh i know it is. I just wish they have a bundle set up when the 2nd part of the game comes out, which would be the main content of the game from what i've read. It would be a drag to just play the intro of the game and then having to wait. Like watching half a season of a show and waiting for the other half. Feels like a drag, and I rather have it all in one package if it's possible rather than 2.

But that's what I'm saying though, it will be all in one. :)

They're just selling a small teaser early to bank off of those who have no patience. When the full MGS5 does come out, Ground Zeroes will just be the first mission you play before going into Phantom Pain. You won't have to buy anything separately or worry about a bundle, it will all be on one disc for normal price.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joedgabe

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Joedgabe said:

But that's what I'm saying though, it will be all in one. :)

They're just selling a small teaser early to bank off of those who have no patience. When the full MGS5 does come out, Ground Zeroes will just be the first mission you play before going into Phantom Pain. You won't have to buy anything separately or worry about a bundle, it will all be on one disc for normal price.

ohhh I see now. Thank you for the info then even better.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@ghostwarrior786: @aaronmullan: @Joedgabe:

Guys I'm pretty certain that this is the intro mission to MGS5. Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are two parts of the same game.

Not really different than the some of the previous titles.

MGS2 had the small Tanker mission then the rest of the game was the Plant.

MGS3 had the small Virtuous mission followed by the main game, Operation Snake Eater.

Ground Zeroes will set up some back story and get the player accustomed to the gameplay mechanics. In Phantom Pain, everything will start to expand and you'll get into the base management stuff and start picking missions freely.

So yeah, no need to worry, it's all going to be one game, this is just a quick cash in.

Yeah and that's what's so wrong about this whole thing imo. The hours for playing is bad but like many said manageable (although if you know the routes that makes it even shorter than 2 or so hours so yeah...), but they could have made it less obvious that they were trying to swindle you.

Sorry for the jump off from your post, but anybody who buys into this must be pretty desperate. It's just ridiculous that they could get away with this stuff. Oh well... at least you guys will have a ball with it, as it does look pretty good.