Metroid Prime 3 could have had great non-Halo style online multiplayer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
Before I get labeled a Halo fanboy or shooter addict, let me add that here could have been a number of original online multiplayer modes that would have suited this game well. Ones that would NOT include shooting. Retro could have added some awesome morphball style arena games. A co-op puzzle type game could have been added which would have been great. There is sooo much more to online multiplayer than just shooting. I think the guys who are defending the decision to not include an online mode have become too complacent. That seems to be the case with all of Nintendo's first party titles. They have evolved little over the last 5 years or so, but Nintendans don't seem to care.
tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts
yea now theres no chance for this game to get past an AA
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts
I don't really mind no online, it would probably suck anyway.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 enduin
Member since 2003 • 1364 Posts

Im pretty sure for Retro and fans of Metroid Prime series having an outstanding finish and perfect end to the series was more important than a probably risky attempt to implement multiplayer. Now that its done let Retro create a new game for online multiplayer and focus on creating a great online environment.

The final installment into the trilogy is not the right game to use as a test subject for online. Its too important a game to gamble with.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23063 Posts
I'm sure it will hurt the title in reviews, but a lot of gamers (like me) don't play online at all.
rey06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 rey06
Member since 2006 • 2699 Posts

yea now theres no chance for this game to get past an AAtree-branch

a typical tree-branch wii hater, *checks post history* OMG its all wii hating post! :roll:

oh and the TC, kinda boring :roll:

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
Boo hoo. The most important thing for Nintendo and the Wii right now regardning that game is the Controls. They need to be so good so that it will TEACH people how to do First Person games on there. Kind of like how Mario 64 showed people how to do 3D platformers. It needs to be a defining wii game. Online would have been a big thing for it but it's STILL a single palyer focused game. If a game like BRAWL has no online then yeah....Nintendo are crazy...but this? No.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

[QUOTE="tree-branch"]yea now theres no chance for this game to get past an AArey06

a typical tree-branch wii hater, *checks post history* OMG its all wii hating post! :roll:

He's betting that if MP3:C does get an A then me and other 9 sheep will leave system wars forever!!!

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
It would be even better if it didn't have multiplayer at all. That's how Metroid games are supposed to work. The only exception is Metroid Prime Hunters because the story actually involves sentient characters besides Samus that can be used in a multiplayer setting.
Revolution_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Revolution_Fan
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts
i agree with you even though i still think MP3 doesnt need it. I mean look at zelda phantom hourglass for the ds it has online multiplayer and a really good one. From all of nintendo's franchises who would have thought the legend of zelda would have online multiplayer so if zelda can have online multiplayer in some form whats stopping metroid. Thats my opinion on the matter.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="rey06"]

[QUOTE="tree-branch"]yea now theres no chance for this game to get past an AAFireEmblem_Man

He's betting that if MP3:C does get an A then me and other 9 sheep will leave system wars forever!!!

Does he leave if he looses the bet?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Dark_Knight6

If MP3:C scores above a AA then yes he'll leave forever!!!

tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

FireEmblem_Man

the problem is its getting an A

so instead of me leaving about 12 sheep will leave

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

FireEmblem_Man

Cool! All we can do is wait and cross our fingers.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

tree-branch

You can see into the future?

rey06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 rey06
Member since 2006 • 2699 Posts

tree-branch

the real problem is, u need to show us you crystall ball!! :roll:

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Yeah, have you played the mulltiplayer in MP2? It sucked. :|
monkeysrfat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 monkeysrfat
Member since 2007 • 1789 Posts

tree-branch

Are you doin this to piss off sheep?

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
[QUOTE="tree-branch"][QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

rey06

the real problem is, u need to show us you crystall ball!! :roll:

Crystal meth? lol. jk jk.

peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
I'm sorry but this is just dumb. The people hating on MP3 for the lack of multiplayer are just going to turn around and praise Bioshock, yet it doesn't have online multiplayer either. Seriously people not every game needs multiplayer, especially if the main focus of the game is to offer an excellent single player experience.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiefFreeman

Ok, back to the topic at hand. Nintendo is trying be "innovative" with the Wii, so why not be innovative with multiplayer? If you don't like fps fine, put all that creativity into an enjoyable, yet different online mode.

It strikes me as funny how they say they are using more time to make the single player that much better, but from what I have seen it looks the same as the 2 previous games. The only difference being you use a Wii-mote now. This is one of Nintendo's big franchises, and to not utilize their online enabled console for it is simply lazy. A creative multiplayer mode would have made Nintendo a player in the online market. I can certainly say that this game will not earn a AAA, that's pretty much a given.

But you die hard Nintendans don't care, right? The Wii-mote is enough for you I guess.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Lolz, online suxxorz, i prefer to play alonez!11!
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 peaceful_anger

Ok, back to the topic at hand. Nintendo is trying be "innovative" with the Wii, so why not be innovative with multiplayer? If you don't like fps fine, put all that creativity into an enjoyable, yet different online mode.

It strikes me as funny how they say they are using more time to make the single player that much better, but from what I have seen it looks the same as the 2 previous games. The only difference being you use a Wii-mote now. This is one of Nintendo's big franchises, and to not utilize their online enabled console for it is simply lazy. A creative multiplayer mode would have made Nintendo a player in the online market. I can certainly say that this game will not earn a AAA, that's pretty much a given.

But you die hard Nintendans don't care, right? The Wii-mote is enough for you I guess.

ChiefFreeman
Then I guess you're saying Bioshock won't be AAA either. And didn't Resident Evil 4 score AAA even though it didn't have online? If a game has to have some form of online now to score AAA, then that is pretty d*** sad IMO.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChiefFreeman

Once again, a Nintendan fails to see my point.

You use useless comparisons to try to defend Nintendo's poor decisions.

enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 enduin

ChiefFreeman

Read my first post, its TRILOGY, not just another Metroid game. There is a set story, a set experience they want and have to deliver. Its not like Zelda, or Mario where its a new story every game. Maybe now that the Prime series is over Retro will make a new game or a new Metroid series with an online focus.

The Prime series was about the single player exploration, isolation. The discovery of artifacts and peicing the story together. Corruption is the final installment and it has to deliver, it has to be the biggest and best and warp everything up. Implementing and trying to fit the gameplay of Prime into a workable and decent online Multiplayer would take away from the Single player game and hurt the overall game, not enhance it. Get over it, its going to be an outstanding game.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

enduin

Read my first post, its TRILOGY, not just another Metroid game. There is a set story, a set experience they want and have to deliver. Its not like Zelda, or Mario where its a new story every game. Maybe now that the Prime series is over Retro will make a new game or a new Metroid series with an online focus.

The Prime series was about the single player exploration, isolation. The discovery of artifacts and peicing the story together. Corruption is the final installment and it has to deliver, it has to be the biggest and best and warp everything up. Implementing and trying to fit the gameplay of Prime into a workable and decent online Multiplayer would take away from the Single player game and hurt the overall game, not enhance it. Get over it, its going to be an outstanding game.

How does online hurt a game? :|

Halo seems to do a fine job with SP and MP.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiefFreeman
perhaps for you, not me. It will only be...good. But not enough to warrant a purchase.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enduin

UssjTrunks

Its called man power and resources, you only have so much. And where have you been people were extraordinarily disappointed by Halo 2's single player, probably caused by their creating the online system. Halo 1 was decent, its not really a spectacular single player experience because of the atmosphere or story, its just has a very good combat system that is very fast paced so its fun to play, but by no means worthwhile on its own, the main focus there was still the multiplayer.

Plus look at Metroid Prime Hunters, they spent all their time and resources creating the online multiplayer of the game and the single player became an after thought. People were very disappointed as well with the single player campaign in that game.

peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 peaceful_anger

ChiefFreeman
Maybe you're the one that doesn't get it. Why should Retro/Nintendo force online multiplayer into a franchise that has never been about multiplayer? Just to make you happy? And my comparison with Bioshock wasn't useless. It's actually a valid argument.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChiefFreeman
[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

enduin

Its called man power and resources, you only have so much. And where have you been people were extraordinarily disappointed by Halo 2's single player, probably caused by their creating the online system. Halo 1 was decent, its not really a spectacular single player experience because of the atmosphere or story, its just has a very good combat system that is very fast paced so its fun to play, but by no means worthwhile on its own, the main focus there was still the multiplayer.

Plus look at Metroid Prime Hunters, they spent all their time and resources creating the online multiplayer of the game and the single player became an after thought. People were very disappointed as well with the single player campaign in that game.

Lack of resources? Hmm, that's funny. I thought Retro was owned by Nintendo? The same Nintendo which generated half a billion in profit this past fiscal year. So using the excuse of not enough resources (funds) doesn't gel with me to well.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChiefFreeman
[QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

peaceful_anger

Maybe you're the one that doesn't get it. Why should Retro/Nintendo force online multiplayer into a franchise that has never been about multiplayer? Just to make you happy? And my comparison with Bioshock wasn't useless. It's actually a valid argument.

Hey, Metal Gear Solid was a big name franchise not known for multiplayer either. Then they created one, which was enjoyable and bettered the original game.

Using the excuse of "this franchise isnlt known for multiplayer" is lame. What does Metal Gear Solids multiplayer have to do witrh its single player campaign? Nothing. Nintendo is too lazy and biased against online gaming to attempt it.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

perhaps for you, not me. It will only be...good. But not enough to warrant a purchase.ChiefFreeman

So, let's say it lacks multiplayer, gets a 9.5 and is praised for it's great single player. You would not purchase it? This is why a cannot stand most gamers today, online does not make a game and it never will.

enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 enduin
[QUOTE="enduin"][QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

ChiefFreeman

Lack of resources? Hmm, that's funny. I thought Retro was owned by Nintendo? The same Nintendo which generated half a billion in profit this past fiscal year. So using the excuse of not enough resources (funds) doesn't gel with me to well.

Go read the lastest interview with Retro they use those exact words. As well Nintendo doesnt hold their hand, they recieve funding from Nintendo and aid, but they only are given so much. Nintendo is a tradition japanese company, just because they have the $$ doesnt mean they are just going to throw it around. In fact most companies are like that.

As well this decision to not implement Multiplayer seems to have been made by the execs at Retro not Nintendo. And why did Retro decide that, probably because they felt Multiplayer wouldnt work with their game and would take up too much of their time and resources(which isnt just $$) would hinder the single player development, and I trust them (and so should you) a lot more than random forumites, they made the game, theyve played it to no end and tried multiplayer before and it didnt work.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Another MP3 Online thread... another chance to post this...

As for Prime, the game in multiplayer would NOT work. I do not understand why I must reiterate this point so often but here it goes...

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/metroidprime2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

The Bad - Multiplayer is a little bland

Despite the addition of a middling and somewhat unnecessary multiplayer component...

It's too bad the multiplayer doesn't add a whole lot to Echoes, but the game would still be superb with no multiplayer at all.

Strangely, Echoes has a multiplayer component with a handful of maps for up to four players, but it's unfortunately not up to the single-player game's quality and seems a little incongruous with the solitary, adventure-driven spirit of the Metroid series.Prime 2 Review

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dsmetroidprimehunters/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

The Bad - Level design is limited and linear - Bosses repeat - Online matches against random players are limited to battle mode.

Bland level design keeps the single-player from being as good as it could have been.Prime Hunters Review

http://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/wii/games/features/119708.shtml

GamePro: Will Metroid Prime 3 have any online modes?

Michael Kelbeugh: No. It's something we talked about early on, but we only have so many resources. We opted to devote those resources to making a better single-player experience.

This game was supposed to be out earlier. What prompted the delay, and what did the extra time allow you?

Well, there was never a set date for the game's release, but there was a target date. Mr. [Satoru] Iwata [President of Nintendo] challenged us last fall to make this equal to, if not exceeding, the Zelda experience. And he said he would support it by giving us more time. It was, "Here's the bar. What is it going to take to reach it?" And the obvious answer was, "Well, we're going to need more time." And he agreed.

So it's all your fault....

Ha! Well, you'll reap the rewards, I'll guarantee.

As for what we added, that's kind of a tough question. I can't say, from a geometry standpoint, that we added this room or we added that boss. It wasn't a matter of "We have to add this element." We had the foundation of the game, it was more the cIassic Nintendo scenario of refinements and polish. So what we now have is an extremely polished, extremely tight experience.GamePro Interview with Retro

I myself would much rather have a quality single-player experience and no multiplayer, then a mediocre singleplayer that fails to deliver the same quality as the previous two titles because Retro spent too much time delivering us an unneeded and extremely lackluster multiplayer.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
[QUOTE="enduin"][QUOTE="ChiefFreeman"]

UssjTrunks

Halo? The second one put a massive emphasis on online multiplayer, it was the main point of the game for almost everyone who got it. As a result the SP suffered, with many people feeling it didn't live up to Halo 1's well liked SP. In Halo 1 the online was limited to LAN I believe, and was not the main point of the game. You just provided an excellent example.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
well aside from the fact that multiplayer in mp2 sucked....
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
are people REALLY hating on this game for not having MP?anybody who is a true fan of the series wouldnt let something like this stop them from enjoying the game.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JPOBS

enduin

errr...metroid prime is not a trilogy. MP2 had almost nothing to do with MP story wise.

peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 peaceful_anger
are people REALLY hating on this game for not having MP?anybody who is a true fan of the series wouldnt let something like this stop them from enjoying the game.lawlessx
The true fans aren't the ones hating on it. True fans know what Metroid is all about. It's the people that were never going to buy it in the first place screaming the game is going to suck because of the lack of online multiplayer.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enduin

errr...metroid prime is not a trilogy. MP2 had almost nothing to do with MP story wise.

JPOBS

We talk with Retro Studios about the Wii-controlled finale to the Prime trilogy.IGN

We knew from the beginning that this would be a three-part trilogyRetro

Yeah Id say you have been resoundingly OWNED.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ithilgore2006
[QUOTE="enduin"]

JPOBS

Apart from the fact that the main villain and instigator is the remains of Metroid Prime, the villain from the first MP, bonded with Samus's suit that she lost at the end of said first one? And that Samus has come across a second Phazon Meteor, which came from the same source as the one in MP1? My apologies for the spoilers to those who haven't played the game, I don't know how to do the spoiler tags.
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

so your telling me that an online morph ball/puzzle-solving mingame will make the difference between AA and AAA?

what has gaming come to

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="enduin"]

ithilgore2006

Apart from the fact that the main villain and instigator is the remains of Metroid Prime, the villain from the first MP, bonded with Samus's suit that she lost at the end of said first one? And that Samus has come across a second Phazon Meteor, which came from the same source as the one in MP1? My apologies for the spoilers to those who haven't played the game, I don't know how to do the spoiler tags.

--spoilers--

thats true but not very impressive considering that we never get any background on dark samus. Basically what we know is what you said. I mean shoot, so the thing is evil and looks like samus, it doesnt go very in depth as far as story goes.

the story of mp2 revolves around the ing and the luminoth. The the story isnt very tightly knit between the two.

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

Before I get labeled a Halo fanboy or shooter addict, let me add that here could have been a number of original online multiplayer modes that would have suited this game well. Ones that would NOT include shooting. Retro could have added some awesome morphball style arena games. A co-op puzzle type game could have been added which would have been great. There is sooo much more to online multiplayer than just shooting. I think the guys who are defending the decision to not include an online mode have become too complacent. That seems to be the case with all of Nintendo's first party titles. They have evolved little over the last 5 years or so, but Nintendans don't seem to care. ChiefFreeman

i think an online moph ball/puzzle-solving minigame wouldn't progress the metroid franchise.....not one bit.

your suggesting that nintendo implement such minigmames into the metroid franchise just for the sake of having on online component - and in doing so, i believe it would end up feeling tacked on.

IMO, metroid is not suited for multiplayer. nintendo has created other franchises that are well suited for online multipalyer.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JPOBS
[QUOTE="JPOBS"]

enduin

We talk with Retro Studios about the Wii-controlled finale to the Prime trilogy.IGN

We knew from the beginning that this would be a three-part trilogyRetro

Yeah Id say you have been resoundingly OWNED.

ok its a trilogy.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ithilgore2006
[QUOTE="ithilgore2006"][QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="enduin"]

JPOBS

--spoilers--

thats true but not very impressive considering that we never get any background on dark samus. Basically what we know is what you said. I mean shoot, so the thing is evil and looks like samus, it doesnt go very in depth as far as story goes.

the story of mp2 revolves around the ing and the luminoth. The the story isnt very tightly knit between the two.

It's only implied in MP2 that Dark Samus is really Metroid Prime, but at the end of MP1, should you finish with 100%, you get to see Dark Samus apearing from Metroid Prime's remains. Also, the Phazon is again the main cause of the problem, and as far as we can tell in MP3 the story of Metroid Prime/Dark Samus and the Phazon is being concluded. It's a story arc, as such, with the individual stories of the aftermaths of the Phazon Meteor landings on the two planets in MP1 and MP2 being sub sections of the whole arc. It's most certainly a trilogy, if not as direct as most games, which I actually prefer, it gives a much grander feel to it's story.
enduin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 enduin

It's only implied in MP2 that Dark Samus is really Metroid Prime, but at the end of MP1, should you finish with 100%, you get to see Dark Samus apearing from Metroid Prime's remains. Also, the Phazon is again the main cause of the problem, and as far as we can tell in MP3 the story of Metroid Prime/Dark Samus and the Phazon is being concluded. It's a story arc, as such, with the individual stories of the aftermaths of the Phazon Meteor landings on the two planets in MP1 and MP2 being sub sections of the whole arc. It's most certainly a trilogy, if not as direct as most games, which I actually prefer, it gives a much grander feel to it's story.
ithilgore2006

Word, its the culmination of the Prime/Phazon series. All the loose ends, Dark Samus, Phazon, etc should be explained in this game. There seems to be a more direct narrative in this game with more outside input from the Galactic Federation, so Im pretty sure we are going to learn a lot in this game about everything.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

It strikes me as funny how they say they are using more time to make the single player that much better, but from what I have seen it looks the same as the 2 previous games. The only difference being you use a Wii-mote now.

ChiefFreeman

How can you possibly know? You've only seen very little of the game... Could you control your own ship in other MP games with your Wiimote? Call the ship to bomb something? How about controling the ship to move said obstacle? This is but only a sneak peek at what the game will be offering as a whole...

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

:lol: - i cant wait till Metroid comes out - so i can laugh at you.