Metro Redux was downgraded to hit 1080p/60fps on PS4

• 79 results
#1 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4725 posts) -

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metro-redux-first-update-adds-volumetric-lights-exclusively-to-the-pc-version/

So while PS4 gamers are celebrating that Metro Redux is 1080p/60fps on PC, acting like it's proof that with optimization PS4 can compete with high end PC's, the truth is they just removed volumetric lighting, they also removed Bokeh DOF, Tessellation, Muzzle Flash shadows, Characters cast semi transparent models instead of actual shadows, Smoke & Fog effects have been toned down heavily, Smoke is no longer illuminated by Light, ouch, talk about downgrade, sad when Next Gen consoles from late 2013 can't run a game from early 2010

Funny how digital foundry is quiet about this, instead they just keep mentioning it's 1080p/60fps without talking about the compromises that had to be made, Console gamers are none the wiser

#2 Posted by Animal-Mother (26833 posts) -

Dark side of gaming? With no legitimate source... Ya ok i'll buy it

Rolls eyes

#3 Posted by lostrib (36277 posts) -

so this patch isn't coming to the console version?

#4 Posted by topgunmv (10213 posts) -

A shame all the comparison videos were made before the patch.

Or that there had to be a patch for this in the first place.

#5 Posted by topgunmv (10213 posts) -

Rolls eyes

Buy what?

#6 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4712 posts) -

plus the game supports >60 fps on pc.

bloody fanboys get your hand off it

#7 Posted by BldgIrsh (2357 posts) -

@topgunmv said:

A shame all the comparison videos were made before the patch.

Or that there had to be a patch for this in the first place.

Pretty much this.

#8 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3010 posts) -

@lostrib said:

so this patch isn't coming to the console version?

No . It is for PC only .

#9 Posted by topgunmv (10213 posts) -
#10 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3010 posts) -
#11 Edited by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Holy shit that looks way better now.

Lets see m3dude damage control this. Those gifs...jesus...

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4712 posts) -
#13 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3010 posts) -

Scene 1 :

Original

Patched

Scene 2 :

Original

Patched

#14 Posted by WallofTruth (1592 posts) -

Rolls eyes

What is there to believe? The patch is real and only PC got it.

#15 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

That lighting effect gives the game a photo realistic look. Just look at how the light scatters across all objects.

#16 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Scene 1 :

Original

Patched

Scene 2 :

Original

Patched

I'm calling you out @m3dude1 , you lose this gen, better luck next time.

#17 Posted by lostrib (36277 posts) -
#18 Posted by 7MDMA (314 posts) -

That custom, gimped settings and effects 1080p, 60 FPS only on PeasantStation 4

#19 Edited by Krelian-co (10728 posts) -

Are consolites still arguing that their pos outdated consoles can still compete in any way to high end gaming pcs?

Also lol at TC just using the ps4, if that is on ps4 i can't imagine how bad it is on the xbone.

#20 Edited by zeeshanhaider (2490 posts) -

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Metro 2033. Sorry cows, looked like I set a bar little bit higher for you when I said Crysis 2. You first had to surpass Metro 2033, a game from 2010, which looks like your precious consolole has trouble running. And the 720Box, well lets not even go there, lol.

#21 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6904 posts) -

There is a slap if the face and knee to the groin.

#22 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2086 posts) -
#23 Posted by FastRobby (1550 posts) -

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/metro-redux-first-update-adds-volumetric-lights-exclusively-to-the-pc-version/

So while PS4 gamers are celebrating that Metro Redux is 1080p/60fps on PC, acting like it's proof that with optimization PS4 can compete with high end PC's, the truth is they just removed volumetric lighting, they also removed Bokeh DOF, Tessellation, Muzzle Flash shadows, Characters cast semi transparent models instead of actual shadows, Smoke & Fog effects have been toned down heavily, Smoke is no longer illuminated by Light, ouch, talk about downgrade, sad when Next Gen consoles from late 2013 can't run a game from early 2010

Funny how digital foundry is quiet about this, instead they just keep mentioning it's 1080p/60fps without talking about the compromises that had to be made, Console gamers are none the wiser

That's DF for you...

#24 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

So this game is a downgrade of an upgrade?

I am so confused.

#25 Posted by remiks00 (1830 posts) -

The lighting patch definitely made the game look better, that's for sure. I was wondering why it was downgraded from the original version. It was also missing the particle effects at the beginning of the game; during the outside snow scene compared to the original.

#26 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3010 posts) -

Are consolites still arguing that their pos outdated consoles can still compete in any way to high end gaming pcs?

Also lol at TC just using the ps4, if that is on ps4 i can't imagine how bad it is on the xbone.

It is sad really . I mean , how it is difficult to understand that an outdated hardware can't match High End one . Specially when there are plenty of devs to make use of decent hardware . Yes , not all of them are making games for top of the line PCs like original Crysis (or upcoming Star Citizen) but they do good enough to make it look a lot better than what consoles can offer .

#27 Posted by nutcrackr (12557 posts) -

I thought the ps4 version lacked tessellation when I saw the videos.

#28 Posted by Heirren (16915 posts) -

People are obsessed with these numbers, the game was a rush project quick money grab, and thats why it was done.

#29 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -

Who cares? It's not like the consoles aren't physically capable of those settings.

#30 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4725 posts) -
#31 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -

@scottpsfan14: at 900p/30fps they could, not at 1080p/60fps

Hmm I don't think you understand. Wait until you see Halo 4 even. It will crush this game graphically. Even on PC with it's extra added lights. I am telling the truth too.

#32 Edited by Kinthalis (5315 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Hmm I don't think you understand. Wait until you see Halo 4 even. It will crush this game graphically. Even on PC with it's extra added lights. I am telling the truth too.

Lol, you don't quit do you?

#33 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

What? It's fact. Do you automatically think a game they spent 6 months porting to PS4 is the best it will achieve? You have made up your mind though. So there is probably no talking to you.

#34 Posted by Alcapello (922 posts) -

These are actually features to keep the framerate from .netting

#35 Edited by Animal-Mother (26833 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Rolls eyes

What is there to believe? The patch is real and only PC got it.

ya I know, I have the Redux PC versions.

But where's the proof of "downgrading"

#36 Posted by -Unreal- (24542 posts) -
#37 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

What? It's fact. Do you automatically think a game they spent 6 months porting to PS4 is the best it will achieve? You have made up your mind though. So there is probably no talking to you.

Muh optimization.

#38 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Muh optimization.

Spoken like a true reddit pcmasterrace cretin. If games don't get better looking on PS4 over the years, I'll be shocked. And it's not just optimization that does it, but adaptation of games engines to the consoles.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/41916/how-do-graphics-evolve-so-much-on-the-same-console-hardware

#39 Posted by Shewgenja (8907 posts) -

This game totally belongs to PC. Hell, I wish Destiny was coming to PC (or at least, an announced release date).

#40 Posted by Kinthalis (5315 posts) -

This game totally belongs to PC. Hell, I wish Destiny was coming to PC (or at least, an announced release date).

It's coming. It's not like the publisher isn't familiar with the success of online only games on the PC. My guess is that the only reason it's not on PC to start is probably some deal with Sony and or MS.

It's a matter of when, not if. I'm ok with that. Unlike the new consoles, we don't have a no games issue. Too many games is our issue!

#41 Posted by Wasdie (49804 posts) -

Wouldn't necessarily call it a downgrade of the PS4 version.

#42 Posted by Kinthalis (5315 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Muh optimization.

Spoken like a true reddit pcmasterrace cretin. If games don't get better looking on PS4 over the years, I'll be shocked. And it's not just optimization that does it, but adaptation of games engines to the consoles.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/41916/how-do-graphics-evolve-so-much-on-the-same-console-hardware

Do you always jump to insults when someone challenges your baselss assertions?

#43 Posted by WallofTruth (1592 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

It's coming. It's not like the publisher isn't familiar with the success of online only games on the PC. My guess is that the only reason it's not on PC to start is probably some deal with Sony and or MS.

It's a matter of when, not if. I'm ok with that. Unlike the new consoles, we don't have a no games issue. Too many games is our issue!

Don't worry, you're not missing much, the beta was pretty meh, I didn't see anything that was truly outstanding or impressive. I'll probably pick it up for $10 on Steam in a few years.

#44 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Muh optimization.

What was wrong in that post? Apart from maybe he isn't a cretin lol? All I said is that game engines adapt better to the console hardware over the years.

#45 Posted by clyde46 (46046 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Muh optimization.

What was wrong in that post? Apart from maybe he isn't a cretin lol? All I said is that game engines adapt better to the console hardware over the years.

Which is called "optimization"

#46 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4871 posts) -
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@clyde46 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Kinthalis said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@HaloinventedFPS said:

Muh optimization.

Which is called "optimization"

No. Otimizations are code algorithims that iron out performance bugs or manage how a cycle is used or how hardware is utilized. Game engines get built to better make use of the consoles in future games over the years. That is down to game art creation, effects, etc.

#47 Edited by Heil68 (44133 posts) -

We are ALL wiser thanks to you TC, thanks for the heads up.

#48 Edited by AM-Gamer (3837 posts) -

DF had a interview with the developer. They basically made the game on PS4 in 6 months. Apparently there next game will feature all the engines effects and they will aim for 30fps.

He also mentioned consoles will get about 2x the performance of a similar speced PC this generation.

#49 Posted by silversix_ (14338 posts) -

I can only imagine how much of a downgrade TW3 and Dragon Age: I will be. Current gen should've been released in late 2010, not end of 2013

#50 Edited by Chozofication (2837 posts) -

That's the price of a true locked 60fps, it'd be nice for an option to have all those effects at 30fps.

@silversix_ said:

I can only imagine how much of a downgrade TW3 and Dragon Age: I will be. Current gen should've been released in late 2010, not end of 2013

It won't be much, considering how even the xbone version of Witcher 3 looks pretty good, and DA is cross gen and they're both 30fps.