Metal Gear Rising vs. DmC: Devil may cry (reboot)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LanternCorps
Member since 2013 • 84 Posts

what is the better game and why?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Rising

By a billion miles

Mechanics

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

I don't know. I'm still playing DmC.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

While Rising is a better action game I feel as if DMC has an overall better combat system.

I do like the parrying stuff in MGR and the fast paced action but it can become one note about half way through the game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I haven't played Rising yet but DmC was one of my top 10 games last year. The combat system was awesome, easy to use but still complex. The new Dante is also way better than the old one and it was a beautiful game with some great level design.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

Metal Gear Rising literally rips DmC to shreds. They aren't even in the same league. It's like comparing Men's football to Womens.... Mfw i dont even...

Combat is fast paced, smoother than DmC, easy to pull off and moderately difficult to master. Action set pieces are incredibly cool (not Bayonetta/GOW 3 level cool) too! The soundtrack is some of the best i've heard in an action game in years. Also Cyborg Raiden >>>> (a million times) DmC Dante. New Dante is just a massive prick. The platforming in DmC never really felt smooth and organic (?) Kinda tacked on and clunky. However I won't sit here and lie by saying DmC isn't aesthetic... Because it is. Really beautiful game to look at. But that's all it has going for it. Boss battles are boring, story takes itself way too seriously and ends up quite poor etc etc

It's not like I hate Devil May Cry as a franchise. DMC 3 is still the best hack n slash game of all time. DMC 1 and 4 are also really good games.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Rising

By a billion miles

Mechanics

This. So many times this.

/thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Thanks to Steam dicking me over I haven't been able to try out Rising yet but DmC had some solid combat. It was accessible but not overly so and the combat felt meaty and satisfying.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I've played neither, but if I were to choose to play one over the other I'd go with Metal Gear Rising, I like Platinum a lot, and from my experience of Ninja Theory games they've been pretty disappointing. Platinum's strengths seem to be in their technical prowess and ability to develop solid gaming mechanics. Ninja Theory's strengths seem to be in their ability for a compelling story.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox

@lamprey263 said:

I've played neither, but if I were to choose to play one over the other I'd go with Metal Gear Rising, I like Platinum a lot, and from my experience of Ninja Theory games they've been pretty disappointing. Platinum's strengths seem to be in their technical prowess and ability to develop solid gaming mechanics. Ninja Theory's strengths seem to be in their ability for a compelling story.

DmC proves they are capable of making a game with solid gameplay. I was pleasantly surprised when I first started into the game. It was mechanically similar to previous games, but with their own twist. It was refreshing despite not being as deep or crazy-hard. It was satisfying from start to finish and they really captured the silly tone of the franchise without sacrificing a good story. Vergil was just fucking awesome throughout, but especially at the end.

The fact both of these came out in 2013 just set the pace for the entire year. I feel ashamed that I didn't buy either of them until much later on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Revengeance by a country mile.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I enjoyed rising I still need to play dmc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Loved both but I give the edge to MGR. It was just insane and made me feel like a complete badass when I parry perfectly. Best HnS this gen, even above Bayonetta for me. The only con is that its too short

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Slashkice said:

Against my better judgement, I'm playing DmC right now. Rising shits on it from a great height.

The constant interruptions from cutscenes

If you want to be impartial, its not like MGR didnt had a lot of interruptions with that codec bs. Anoying bits and it happened way too many times if not more than the DmC cutscenes...

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

DmC is a better game - everything about it is better. Rising had some fun boss fights where the combat really shined, but DmC was consistently more fun to play.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19379 Posts

DmC is good, but MGR is better.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@senses_fail_06 said:

DmC is a better game - everything about it is better. Rising had some fun boss fights where the combat really shined, but DmC was consistently more fun to play.

Which is it, better or more fun? They are two different concepts.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@senses_fail_06 said:

Which is it, better or more fun? They are two different concepts.

Both, that's why I said both in my post.

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Rising without a doubt. DmC was fun, and quite a bit better than I was expecting, but Rising was just fantastic. The whole time I was playing I felt like a badass and the game didn't even need to coddle me or give me nothing but QTEs to accomplish it. Rising was just much better and more fun to play.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

i like DMC more than MGRising. Rising is only a 5 hour game with a crappy story

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@Kiro0 said:

Rising without a doubt. DmC was fun, and quite a bit better than I was expecting, but Rising was just fantastic. The whole time I was playing I felt like a badass and the game didn't even need to coddle me or give me nothing but QTEs to accomplish it. Rising was just much better and more fun to play.

That's one of the best things about the game. It makes you feel like a bad ass from beginning to end.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Slashkice said:

Against my better judgement, I'm playing DmC right now. Rising shits on it from a great height.

The constant interruptions from cutscenes, color-coded enemies, crap platforming, and terrible camera really make DmC annoying to play at times.

The larger issue is the reliance on those platforming segments and those lame boss fights.

Those platforming segments were fine at first, even though it was clearly pimping out their environments. But they rely on that gimmick of latch hopping through levels so they can show you their brand of "crazy" levels. WHich just feel underwhelming to navigate through when that's the only thing they could come up with to mix up the gameplay. The boss fights in general are just dull. Very simple pattern guys with no real twist to them, and Vergil was always going to disappoint given that he has to live up to being Virgil.

Combat was surprisingly solid given that it's a Ninja Theory game.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Did you play Vergils downfall DLC?

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I would call this a tie given my extensive play-through of both, while people seem to be choosing MGSR based on the mechanics and challenge, they forget that sometimes fun is also very important which in my opinion DMC nails way more than Rising. In DMC, the emphasis is pulling of insane looking combo's which is actually fun. Also i felt NT did a very good job with realizing the DMC universe way more than Capcom ever did with the previous entries but as seen with cry babies everywhere, the new Dante was not to their taste.

Both are actually free on PS+ if you want to play them

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

DmC feels like a complete game. The combat has a lot more depth and never gets old even after completing it multiple times. Rising is a fun slash and dismember adventure, but the mechanics over stay their welcome even before the end of the 5 hour adventure. DmC breaks up it's action well with both story and creative platforming. Rising never stops its combat focus and ends up feeling like a 1 note game. If we wanna talk about level design, it's no contest. DmC has some of the most creative and interesting levels of 2013. Rising just has a bunch of bland urban environments that string together combat encounters.

I don't get how someone could enjoy Rising so much more then DmC. DmC gets too much hate simply because of it's past legacy.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@StriateEnd said:

Metal Gear Rising literally rips DmC to shreds. They aren't even in the same league. It's like comparing Men's football to Womens.... Mfw i dont even...

Combat is fast paced, smoother than DmC, easy to pull off and moderately difficult to master. Action set pieces are incredibly cool (not Bayonetta/GOW 3 level cool) too! The soundtrack is some of the best i've heard in an action game in years. Also Cyborg Raiden >>>> (a million times) DmC Dante. New Dante is just a massive prick. The platforming in DmC never really felt smooth and organic (?) Kinda tacked on and clunky. However I won't sit here and lie by saying DmC isn't aesthetic... Because it is. Really beautiful game to look at. But that's all it has going for it. Boss battles are boring, story takes itself way too seriously and ends up quite poor etc etc

It's not like I hate Devil May Cry as a franchise. DMC 3 is still the best hack n slash game of all time. DMC 1 and 4 are also really good games.

DmC takes it's self too seriously? Everything about that game is far less serious and more fun then Rising. DmC's story is about a rebel group trying to overthrow a demon lord who managed to enslave humanity with soda. Rising's story feels like it should be in a different game. Because harvesting organs, child soldiers, the war economy, and weird philosophy work so well in a story about cyber ninjas cutting metal gears in half.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

DmC is the better all around game, Rising has some great mechanics though.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Rising is a spin off, not a reboot surely?

Nothing is being rebooted, it's set aside as it's own game, and Metal Gear is returning to the original formula. straight afterwards with the next MGS game

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Devil May Cry hands down:

-much much better combat

-better graphics

-better story

-better cinematics

-better main character

-longer campaing

-better training options

challenger_155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#31 challenger_155
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

Personally, I enjoyed DMC better than MGS, so I'm gonna have to say that The latest DMc has shown some huge graphical improvements, but the amount of cutscenes does turn me off at times. I found the main character in DMC to be better than MGS too.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

@foxhound_fox
said:

Rising

By a billion miles

Mechanics

Basically this. The game felt great and was a lot of fun.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I think a lot of people are still upset about DmC and won't get over it, and are not giving the game it's deserved credit.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Rising by a mile, better mechanics and the character isn't a total ponce.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I think Rising had the better mechanics. Still enjoyed the ever loving shit out of DmC.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

I think a lot of people are still upset about DmC and won't get over it, and are not giving the game it's deserved credit.

I think most of that negative perception surrounding the game faded away shortly after its release, because it is a genuinely great game.

Just not as good as Devil May Cry 3.

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

Regarding Metal Gear Rising, a thought occurred to me today. And I'm too lazy to make a separate thread about it (and frankly a question like this doesn't deserve one)

I'm not very familiar with Metal Gear lore (only played MGS 1 & 2) so I was wondering how much of Raiden in Revengeance is still human? Particularly if he still has his um.. "gentleman sausage" intact..?

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@GiantAssPanda said:

Regarding Metal Gear Rising, a thought occurred to me today. And I'm too lazy to make a separate thread about it (and frankly a question like this doesn't deserve one)

I'm not very familiar with Metal Gear lore (only played MGS 1 & 2) so I was wondering how much of Raiden in Revengeance is still human? Particularly if he still has his um.. "gentleman sausage" intact..?

Revengeance is a sequel to 4 (though an interesting note is that it was originally going to be set before that game)

I believe its established by the time we see Raiden again in MGS4, the only human parts left in him are his spinal cord and his head (except the lower jaw)

--

At the end of 4 and at the beginning of Revengeance, he LOOKS fully human again, but apparently its just a human-looking fake body.